How To Drive

I think We're getting confused here as to what types of roads the no left lane driving rule applies. the only real time it applies is for 4 lane highways from town to town where the left lane is the only other option to the slower right lane. for inner city freeways with 6 or more lanes, you actually should stay in the left lane if you're going at a decent pace and not approaching your exit. it's the people in the left lane of a 4 lane highway that are the horrible ones.
All of this is absolutely correct.
  • Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been with people on 4 lane rds going south in IL and they were in the left lane the whole time. I can't stand that. The left lane is for passing, god damn. Multiple times I would tell them to stay in the right lane but that obviously didn't last long. Besides that, it didn't make me feel any safer that anytime they laughed at a joke that was told they would swerve a little bit. It was bad.
I would have lost my mind. Maybe even blacked out and killed a few people.
I would have lost my mind. Maybe even blacked out and killed a few people.
Oh trust me I was near there. I had a terrible headache from the swerving and constant stop/go on the gas. I was ready to jump out of the car.
I don't know...I also hate people who don't move out of the left lane when someone comes up behind them, clearly wanting the pace to increace. The left lane is for whoever wants to go the fastest. If someone refuses to move for me I'm not against going around them and then slowing them down to prove a point.
You don't know what? What you're saying isn't what brv was saying. Except it seems that brv is agreeing with you. I agree with the above. I think most of this is highly dependent on traffic conditions. If I'm on an open highway with barely any cars, I don't drive in the left lane (mostly because of the cop/speeding theory), but if it's moderate traffic I'll drive in the left lane until I see someone coming up behind me, which isn't all that common.
Also, I'm not sure that I deserved a shut the **** up on that one. It feels like there is a little too much luster on that phrase to waste it on that particular comment.
I think he was telling himself to shut it.
Edit: we need a poll
VB, you should do this. Polls are fun.
Dread, if you don't hate this also, then I don't know what to say.
There's a difference between what you're doing and what Shake is doing. I don't hate people who drive in the left lane unless they are holding up traffic, so what you're doing annoys me. Because what's the point? Why is it necessary for you to force them over? Are they slowing down traffic? If they are, I don't see how you slowing them down helps that issue. What Shake is doing is not allowing someone to game the system. Everybody sees that they need to get over, so they get over when they can to not slow everyone down, but this one guy tries to take advantage and pass everyone and then really mucks things up when he has to force his way over. It's ok to shoot that guy not let him win.

Shake, Steve, brv and I should start a driving school. I think Shake said it best (but apparently I didn't quote it). A few years ago I had a car that I installed 100w highbeams into (instead of 65w normal highbeams). They were great for melting the backs of the heads of drivers who wouldn't move over to the right lane in the dark.

Shake, Steve, brv and I should start a driving school.
I feel like we're talking about different things. Nobody thinks it's ok to drive in the left lane when there are people trying to go faster than you. But the idea that I shouldn't drive in the left lane when there isn't anybody out there needing to pass me AND that it's somehow ok to make me move over because...well this is where I'm confused. Why is it so problematic for me to be over there? What harm is it causing you? The only problem is if you're holding up traffic which we all agree is bad.

Another subset of BaseJester's Bane is the guy who does the same thing when he still has an open lane in front of him. Like if the freeway is splitting and one lane is totally clogged, but the other is moving right along, he'll stay in the free flowing lane right until the last minute and then try to move over to the clogged lane because that's where he needs to be going and he'll just stop until he can get over even though the whole lane in front of him is open and there are cars behind him waiting which makes everyone backed up when there was no need for it except this douchebag wanted to save a few seconds and not sit in his rightful place in traffic and of course nobody in the clogged lane wants to let him over because why should he get to pass all of them who were sitting in traffic like they should so now he's got two lanes of traffic pissed at him jerkface.In pictures:11j2d8y.jpg

Another subset of BaseJester's Bane is the guy who does the same thing when he still has an open lane in front of him. Like if the freeway is splitting and one lane is totally clogged, but the other is moving right along, he'll stay in the free flowing lane right until the last minute and then try to move over to the clogged lane because that's where he needs to be going and he'll just stop until he can get over even though the whole lane in front of him is open and there are cars behind him waiting which makes everyone backed up when there was no need for it except this douchebag wanted to save a few seconds and not sit in his rightful place in traffic and of course nobody in the clogged lane wants to let him over because why should he get to pass all of them who were sitting in traffic like they should so now he's got two lanes of traffic pissed at him jerkface.In pictures:11j2d8y.jpg
Had that happen yesterday actually. Exactly like the picture. Far right lane veered off to 696 but he wanted to stay on I-75. Stopped in the middle of the ramp and waiting till someone would let him in. Lots of horns and fingers shooting out the windows.
I feel like we're talking about different things. Nobody thinks it's ok to drive in the left lane when there are people trying to go faster than you. But the idea that I shouldn't drive in the left lane when there isn't anybody out there needing to pass me AND that it's somehow ok to make me move over because...well this is where I'm confused. Why is it so problematic for me to be over there? What harm is it causing you? The only problem is if you're holding up traffic which we all agree is bad.
It's more a function of effective training and realistic expectations. Other drivers are idiots. They don't move over when the need presents itself (aka there's someone faster behind them) because they're too self-involved to notice in a timely fashion. It's far easier to train people to move right by default than to expect them to actually think, because, hey, we can all agree, most people out there cannot think. If there's no traffic (or too much traffic), or if you really are getting out of the way fast enough that I don't have to modify my behaviour because you're in the left lane, I don't really care. But that driver is the exception, not the norm. I don't have a problem with people in the left lane, per se (if there's no traffic, I ignore all the lane markings anyways and just drive as straight a line as I can, to be honest). I have a problem with people making me hit the brakes/turn off my cruise control.
I never cut anyone off, because my rate of speed is always much higher than the vehicle that I'm passing. Also, I'm very conscientious of things like that.
Speed is your rate of movement. There is no "rate of speed".
This man gets it.
Another subset of BaseJester's Bane is the guy who does the same thing when he still has an open lane in front of him. Like if the freeway is splitting and one lane is totally clogged, but the other is moving right along, he'll stay in the free flowing lane right until the last minute and then try to move over to the clogged lane because that's where he needs to be going and he'll just stop until he can get over even though the whole lane in front of him is open and there are cars behind him waiting which makes everyone backed up when there was no need for it except this douchebag wanted to save a few seconds and not sit in his rightful place in traffic and of course nobody in the clogged lane wants to let him over because why should he get to pass all of them who were sitting in traffic like they should so now he's got two lanes of traffic pissed at him jerkface.
Damn that guy!!!
You don't know what? What you're saying isn't what brv was saying. Except it seems that brv is agreeing with you. I agree with the above. I think most of this is highly dependent on traffic conditions. If I'm on an open highway with barely any cars, I don't drive in the left lane (mostly because of the cop/speeding theory), but if it's moderate traffic I'll drive in the left lane until I see someone coming up behind me, which isn't all that common.
No, I think there has been a miscommunication. I am ONLY talking about when the left lane dude is holding up traffic... specifically me. I am EXACTLY saying what Speedz is saying here. For instance, it doesn't annoy me at all what Angry Steve is doing. There are three lanes on both sides and the interstate is within a metropolitan area. It is totally acceptable to stay in the left lane in that scenario (as long as you aren't holding up traffic behind you, regardless of lane. I don't even think you should hold up traffic in the far right lane.)
I think he was telling himself to shut it.
Oh. I didn't even see that as a possibility. I'm just going to assume that this is the case, since that is the best case scenario for me. Even if Wang comes in and dispels this conclusion, I'm going to be steadfast in my belief that he is joking.
There's a difference between what you're doing and what Shake is doing. I don't hate people who drive in the left lane unless they are holding up traffic, so what you're doing annoys me. Because what's the point? Why is it necessary for you to force them over? Are they slowing down traffic? If they are, I don't see how you slowing them down helps that issue. What Shake is doing is not allowing someone to game the system. Everybody sees that they need to get over, so they get over when they can to not slow everyone down, but this one guy tries to take advantage and pass everyone and then really mucks things up when he has to force his way over. It's ok to shoot that guy not let him win.
Yeah, we had some sort of misunderstanding. I would never do what I do (and I've only done "what I do" like three times), in the city or in a three lane situation. This is only on the interstate, when someone is purposely not moving to the right and traffic is building behind him. (even if the traffic building is just me)
Speed is your rate of movement. There is no "rate of speed". This man gets it.
Eyeroll, vb, eyeroll.
You don't know what?
Almost anything.
But this doesn't even make sense. The whole point of the discussion is that someone IS coming up behind them, and they're not moving out of the way.

My #1 pet peeve is the following.Speed Limit: 100 km/hI am driving in the left lane at, say 110.there is a semi truck going 80 km/h in the right lane, and a car approaching this truck going 95 km/h in the right lane as well, slightly ahead of me. The car (95 km/h) pulls out into the left lane to pass the truck, oblivious to me coming up behind him with greater speed. He does not increase his speed to pass the truck, forcing me to brake and slow to his speed, while he inches by the truck. This happens to me on average once per day, and it drives me crazy. if I am ever in the situation of being the car in the right lane, I either wait for the car in the left lane to pass before pulling out, or I speed up to pass the truck before giving way to the faster vehicle in the left lane.

Shake, Steve, brv and I should start a driving school. I think Shake said it best (but apparently I didn't quote it). A few years ago I had a car that I installed 100w highbeams into (instead of 65w normal highbeams). They were great for melting the backs of the heads of drivers who wouldn't move over to the right lane in the dark.
hmm, this is not a bad idea at all. a whole hell of a lot better than bumping them, wrecking them, then getting out and shooting their still burning corpse multiple times. I may have to switch it up!
there is a semi truck going 80 km/h in the right lane, and a car approaching this truck going 95 km/h in the right lane as well, slightly ahead of me. The car (95 km/h) pulls out into the left lane to pass the truck, oblivious to me coming up behind him with greater speed. He does not increase his speed to pass the truck, forcing me to brake and slow to his speed, while he inches by the truck. This happens to me on average once per day, and it drives me crazy. if I am ever in the situation of being the car in the right lane, I either wait for the car in the left lane to pass before pulling out, or I speed up to pass the truck before giving way to the faster vehicle in the left lane.
I've been annoyed by this before but I have to say it's pretty far down on the list of evils for me. still annoying though.and you know what? I'm gonna go further than everybody else on this whole left lane thing and say that even if the person in the left lane ISN'T specifically holding up traffic, then he's still an asshole save for if he's the only person on the road for a mile either direction. fuck him. still annoys me so fuck him. just looking at him, riding there in the left lane, all god damn smug and shit, just fuck him. and if I do get to him and have to pass on the right?!?! fucking napalm in the rectum god damn it.if you can't tell I just got home and I've been drinking. super vitriol.
I will toot my own horn and say that I can maintain a constant rate of speed with my foot unlike most of the slumps I see driving around me. I hate getting behind someone who fluctuates 10 whole mph up and down for no reason.
This is a big peeve of mine. I cant tell you how many times Ive been on the interstate at exactly eighty miles per hour and some guy passes me fifteen times within fifteen milesAnd it always seems to happen when Im drinking bottles....so no canofladge is being used. Adding to the misery is the nosy passenger that has to look over at me every timeSince I usually drive cars lower than normal it forces me to hold the beer almost under the seat to prevent them from calling that damn pound fifty five number or whatever the hell it is to report drunk drivers. Speaking of that travesty to human kind.... I once called it while riding with Shane as a threat for him to pull over so I could piss. If anyone is curious, they ask for the make/model, color, tag number, and location of the infraction. I got as far as the tag number before he exited at a Pilot station
and you know what? I'm gonna go further than everybody else on this whole left lane thing and say that even if the person in the left lane ISN'T specifically holding up traffic, then he's still an asshole save for if he's the only person on the road for a mile either direction. fuck him. still annoys me so fuck him. just looking at him, riding there in the left lane, all god damn smug and shit, just fuck him. and if I do get to him and have to pass on the right?!?! fucking napalm in the rectum god damn it.
Yes.

You want to have fun on the road?When your buddy is in the passenger seat, speed up in the left lane and start to pass a car but hit your brakes so that you pull up even with them window to window and pace their speed while looking straight ahead.Your passenger will get really nervous, and the other driver will probably start to speed up or slow down. It is important to stare straight the entire time while you match speed and don't say a word.

I can't decide which of these pisses me off more.Scenario 1: Driving in a one lane road going at least 10 over the speed limit. Guy behind you is right on your ass.Scenario 2: Driving on a one lane road, and the person in front of you is going under the speed limit.

You want to have fun on the road?When your buddy is in the passenger seat, speed up in the left lane and start to pass a car but hit your brakes so that you pull up even with them window to window and pace their speed while looking straight ahead.Your passenger will get really nervous, and the other driver will probably start to speed up or slow down. It is important to stare straight the entire time while you match speed and don't say a word.
I've heard tell of someone having a sleeping passenger and pulling up behind a semi (the cab) being towed backwards, hitting the brakes, and screaming.