Random News Observations

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The most interesting thing about the worlds largest beaver dam is that it was discovered via Google Earth and some guy trekked out there to see it IRL and was the first person to ever set foot in that

Beware of overcharging someone. Thats the #1 lesson learned from the Zimmerman case. He was guilty of avoidable behavior that ultimately culminated in a fatality- manslaughter- but he was not guilty

You should've tried to get on the jury and convince the rest that he was not guilty.

Posted Images

Snowden in Moscow: What Russian Authorities Might Be Doing with the NSA Whistleblower

Read more: http://world.time.co.../#ixzz2YguIWeWN

Stories like this make it impossible to discuss politics/news for people like us. We have an "official" story which has Snowden just looking for asylum and therefore, to most people, makes him closer to a Constitution-loving hero than a traitor. Then you have stories like this, which certainly seem reasonable and trustworthy, which open the door to him either making secrets available to the Russians (even if he is not giving them up 'voluntarily,' if you bring them with you and put your body in their possession, it's basically the same thing). Next step will be some conservative-leaners arguing that he's probably selling secrets to the Russians. And now we have someone who, at the very least, can reasonably be tried for treason. Even though the official story still makes that look ridiculous.

Zimmerman. Not guilty. Discuss.

From what I gather, it was just a really, really tough case to prove. I have a friend who works as a prosecuting attorney, and the first thing he said when the trial began was that going for Murder 2 was a mistake. I didn't follow it too closely, but Murder 2 seems to be an impossible case to prove given the evidence.

Agree with nick. Man two they have a good chance. Even manslaughter one was a huge reach. They wanted to put him in jail for a long time. Bad prosecuting imo.

I think this case comes down to a flaw in the system. The right to be presumed innocent comes with a cost sometimes.

Zimmerman should have stayed in his car, but he didn't break any law by not doing so.

Too bad he didn't grant Trayvon Martin the same presumption of innocence.

I think this case comes down to a flaw in the system. The right to be presumed innocent comes with a cost sometimes.

Zimmerman should have stayed in his car, but he didn't break any law by not doing so.

Too bad he didn't grant Trayvon Martin the same presumption of innocence.

The only flaw in the system was that we had a trial that was totally politically driven.

How can you say Zimmerman did not grant Martin presumption of innocence? Did he stop Martin from going home? NO!

And if the police would have showed up when Witness Good showed up who would have justifiably been arrested...... Martin.

If you would have followed the trial and all the evidence it was a total sham and you would have learned that Martin had time and opportunity to just go home.

And yes I have done the same thing Zimmerman was doing in my neighborhood.

And yes I feel terrible for both families and my prayers goes out to both of them.

Evidently the presumption of innocence needs to be rethought. At least when blacks are the victim.

Sorry, Bob this guy is nothing more than a Hack.

"Of course the deadly meeting last year between Trayvon Martin and George Zimmerman had at its core a racial element".

Really, the racial element was created and driven by the President, DOJ, Racebaiters and the Press.

"It did not permit them (Jury) to delve into the racial profiling that Zimmerman may have engaged in or into the misconduct and mischief that Martin may have engaged in long before he took that fatal trip to the store for candy".

Geez, could it be that the court did not want to taint the evidence. OK, open up this can of worms. We would have found out that Zimmerman did not have a Racist Bone in his body and his only Bias was he really didn't like strangers coming into his neighbor hood and terrorizing a woman and her 2-year-old baby. By the way this door was opened for the Prosecution. The Prosecution threatened to go down that road and the defense threatened to bring 30 witnesses in to tell how wonderful Zimmerman was.

"What the verdict says, to the astonishment of tens of millions of us, is that you can go looking for trouble in Florida, with a gun and a great deal of racial bias, and you can find that trouble, and you can act upon that trouble in a way that leaves a young man dead, and none of it guarantees that you will be convicted of a crime".

OOPS, just lost all your Objectivity, your true agenda exposed.

"If we understand and accept these legal limitations -- and perhaps only if we do -- the result here makes sense. Purely as a matter of law, you could say, it makes perfect sense".

Geez, you think so.

"But in the end, under state law favorable to men like the defendant -- that is, favorable to zealots willing to take the law into their own hands"

Amazing, I missed that part where Zimmerman took the law into his own hands.

"Without a confession, without video proof, without a definitive eyewitness, without compelling scientific evidence, prosecutors needed to sell jurors cold on the idea of Zimmerman as the hunter and Martin as the hunted. But when the fated pair came together that night, in those fleeting moments before the fatal shot, the distinctions between predator and prey became jumbled. And prosecutors were never able to make it clear enough again to meet their burden of proof. That's the story of this trial"

Story of this trial is that 4-minute period when Martin could have gone home. Why didn't he do that?

Cohen Tweet

Andrew Cohen @CBSAndrew

"One direction in which the story now heads: Holder faces big decision on DOJ charges against Zimmerman"

Wow Andrew, I guess the FBI investigation that ended in the conclusion nothing was there is no longer relevant.

Andrew Cohen is a contributing editor at The Atlantic, 60 Minutes' first-ever legal analyst, and a fellow at the Brennan Center for Justice. He is also chief analyst for CBS Radio News and has won a Murrow Award as one of the nation's leading legal journalists.

Amazing he is a legal analyst, he is nothing more than a Hack with an agenda.

Hey Andrew you and the President, DOJ, Racebaiters and the rest of the Press need to put your energy in the real national tragedy......Chicago. That right, Chicago where innocent children and young black are slaughtered on a regular basis. Another tragedy is the young black unemployment rate.

Everyone listed above, their silence is immoral. People who could make a difference and remain silent have blood on their hands. And everyone driving this story will have blood on their hands if any more blood is shed.

Lol no tainting the evidence? I'm sure you were just as outraged that a dead 17 year old was defamed like a 1960s rape victim by using cherry picked photos and reports that he "used" marijuna. He was asking for it, right? The viewpoint that even having a trial was somehow unfair when a kid ended up dead under suspicious circumstances is the kind of subtle nasty racism we've come to expect from the right fringe.

If you missed the part where he took the law into his own hands, you should revisit the 911 call where the police dispatcher tells him not to pursue Martin. It's pretty clear if you aren't already hopelessly biased.

Justice for Darryl

On Thursday, July 11, police discovered the rotting body of 17-year-old Darryl Green, a black child from the Englewood neighborhood of Chicago.

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local&id=9169739

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/07/14/17-year-old-Darryl-Green

Is there a suspect who admitted to killing him but was let go without even a cursory investigation? If not, there isn't any correlation between the two.

Lol no tainting the evidence? I'm sure you were just as outraged that a dead 17 year old was defamed like a 1960s rape victim by using cherry picked photos and reports that he "used" marijuna. He was asking for it, right? The viewpoint that even having a trial was somehow unfair when a kid ended up dead under suspicious circumstances is the kind of subtle nasty racism we've come to expect from the right fringe.

If you missed the part where he took the law into his own hands, you should revisit the 911 call where the police dispatcher tells him not to pursue Martin. It's pretty clear if you aren't already hopelessly biased.

I feel really bad that Martin was shot. Yes the dispatcher told him we don't need that and Zimmerman said OK. As far as Martin past if you look above I did not feel as Cohen felt all of this should come in, just actual evidence in trial. Didn't really pay that much attention to dope and the rest of his past. It sad that he could have just went home but did not.

What I found amazing was last night ABC pulled out all of Martin dirty laundry including the tape of him egging on homeless fight. And no I thought this was totally unnecessary, bad journalism.

Another victim in this case that I really feel bad for is Rachel Jeantel. I think she was used, coerced and manipulated and thrown over the side of the boat when she was done. I hope someone good around her can pick her up a little.

I really don't appreciate your comments on right, you want to have a conversation, talk facts and leave the smoke out of it.

Is there a suspect who admitted to killing him but was let go without even a cursory investigation? If not, there isn't any correlation between the two.

Not the point, nobody cares about Chicago. I wished some of this energy was put on what is going on in Chicago, a National Tragedy.

I have been screaming about this stuff for years, who cares. I think the blacks are getting the shaft as a whole.

I am talking facts. You're the 87,462nd conservative to point out that black kids die all the time. Which is irrelevant to the specific nuances of what made this case controversial.

You just accused everybody (president, doj, press, race baiters) but white conservatives of making this about race. You can't act all butt hurt now if someone lobs the same accusation at you.

Not the point, nobody cares about Chicago. I wished some of this energy was put on what is going on in Chicago, a National Tragedy.

I have been screaming about this stuff for years, who cares. I think the blacks are getting the shaft as a whole.

It is exactly the point. The Zimmerman case was a unique confluence of facts that also questions the very validity of some states' self defense laws. Pointing out that there is lots of violence in cities is a red herring.

It is exactly the point. The Zimmerman case was a unique confluence of facts that also questions the very validity of some states' self defense laws. Pointing out that there is lots of violence in cities is a red herring.

I disagree. I think it is a perfectly valid argument. Crime exists, therefore it is hypocritical to pay attention to any crime.

I am talking facts. You're the 87,462nd conservative to point out that black kids die all the time. Which is irrelevant to the specific nuances of what made this case controversial.

You just accused everybody (president, doj, press, race baiters) but white conservatives of making this about race. You can't act all butt hurt now if someone lobs the same accusation at you.

Like I said, just the facts. I do not waste my time with all the side show including Martin's past. As far as the president, doj, press, race baiters, they did inflame this situation. President needed to come out and tell everyone to cool their jets and let the legal process go forward. That's what Presidents do.