"[Mubarak's] proposing an 8 month lame duck session. We have enough problems in America with..."That's when I changed the channel. CNN is dumb, comparing apples and tomatoes.They've also confused me. Are the Egyptians okay with the announcement, or are they as pissed as ever? CNN reported that they were cheering when they heard, but other places say it just upset people.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, how should we feel about this? I know there's a lot of confusion about who the next ruler will be, whether there will be elections, and what the new relationship with Israel will be. But should't we all be really happy about all this? I mean, isn't this what we've always wanted: an internal and more or less peaceful revolution within an Arab country that moves toward Democracy and has a tendency to spread?
I think any time people stand up and demand their government be accountable to them, it's a Very Good Thing, even if it leads to some short term instability. And this group seems particularly sane for an angry mob, so that's promising. The mideast seems about to melt down, and frankly, it can't get much worse.This is why we need to stay out of that area. When they are ready, they will find their way. If they are not ready, then we just make enemies and cause blowback.
I think any time people stand up and demand their government be accountable to them, it's a Very Good Thing, even if it leads to some short term instability. And this group seems particularly sane for an angry mob, so that's promising. The mideast seems about to melt down, and frankly, it can't get much worse.This is why we need to stay out of that area. When they are ready, they will find their way. If they are not ready, then we just make enemies and cause blowback.
I think it can get much much worse, the surface of how bad it can get in the Middle East has only been scratched.
usa-jews.jpgWe should leave them alone to sort out their own affairs. If this gives rise to a regime that threatens our interests, then so be it. Step out of your little sandbox and into ours, we retaliate with drones, planes and ICBM's- the people of your country- who allowed that to happen- will pay a grave price. Everyone is willing to fight to the death when they're on a street in large groups, wearing face scarves and burning effigies. That sentiment changes awfully quick once the first mushroom cloud goes up. Sometimes, you have to destroy a threatening civilization in order to preserve your own. It's been this way since man started walking upright and congregating into tribes. We used to not care who hated us and who didn't. Hate us, throw tantrums if you must but know full well that if you cross the line into something like 9/11, its game over. We fight these dumb bush wars to win hearts and minds that are unwinable. It's time we let these monkeys do to themselves as they please but make very clear where the line in the sand is; should they cross that line or knowingly harbor persons who intend to cross it, there will be lots and lots and lots of their children and neighbors and loved ones who will die as a result... and if this means that dicksuckers in Europe call us assholes, OK. Correct-a-mundo. We're assholes. Guilty as charged. Keep that in mind the next time you're plotting something against us. The greatest defense we have is our scientific capacity to reduce the whole matter down to push-one-button self preservation, yet we haven't had the stones to put that on the table since 1945 so instead, we sacrifice lives of our servicemen in shitty little campaigns that hardly amount to much more than the military equivalent of armed trolling.

For some reason, I don't think you got that cartoon from the New York Times.

usa-jews.jpgWe should leave them alone to sort out their own affairs. If this gives rise to a regime that threatens our interests, then so be it. Step out of your little sandbox and into ours, we retaliate with drones, planes and ICBM's- the people of your country- who allowed that to happen- will pay a grave price. Everyone is willing to fight to the death when they're on a street in large groups, wearing face scarves and burning effigies. That sentiment changes awfully quick once the first mushroom cloud goes up. Sometimes, you have to destroy a threatening civilization in order to preserve your own. It's been this way since man started walking upright and congregating into tribes. We used to not care who hated us and who didn't. Hate us, throw tantrums if you must but know full well that if you cross the line into something like 9/11, its game over. We fight these dumb bush wars to win hearts and minds that are unwinable. It's time we let these monkeys do to themselves as they please but make very clear where the line in the sand is; should they cross that line or knowingly harbor persons who intend to cross it, there will be lots and lots and lots of their children and neighbors and loved ones who will die as a result... and if this means that dicksuckers in Europe call us assholes, OK. Correct-a-mundo. We're assholes. Guilty as charged. Keep that in mind the next time you're plotting something against us. The greatest defense we have is our scientific capacity to reduce the whole matter down to push-one-button self preservation, yet we haven't had the stones to put that on the table since 1945 so instead, we sacrifice lives of our servicemen in shitty little campaigns that hardly amount to much more than the military equivalent of armed trolling.
while certainly extreme there is much truch here. that is assuming our current leadership is going to realize talking out the problems through international group theropy isn't going to get them anywhere. maybe acorn can help.
If they didn't control most of the world's oil, that's exactly how they would have been treated.
Yeah. In 1943 maybe. Oil or not, we must've left our nutsack somewhere at Normandy because we've been taking the kinder-gentler approach ever since.Let some great advance in electric-vehicle technology render oil irrelevant and some group of terrorist sand-apes attack us even though we don't need their oil, we'll pussyfoot around no different than we are now. Welcome to the kinder, gentler USA. It took us almost two generations, but we've rapidly become Europe.
Yeah. In 1943 maybe. Oil or not, we must've left our nutsack somewhere at Normandy because we've been taking the kinder-gentler approach ever since.Let some great advance in electric-vehicle technology render oil irrelevant and some group of terrorist sand-apes attack us even though we don't need their oil, we'll pussyfoot around no different than we are now. Welcome to the kinder, gentler USA. It took us almost two generations, but we've rapidly become Europe.
I am a realist about this, and you are right. We can basically put to use the 30% budget line item on weapons and things that kill people really really well, or we should just shut the borders, because the notion of using an A-1 Abrams to make people get along with others has been a failure.As has the notion that smart Ivy League liberals who care more and have the diplomas to show why they are better than the rest of us can make policy that will make war obsolete is nothing but a liberal social experiment that threw away the lives of 50,000 American soldiers in Vietnam.Part of me thinks we should just focus on the Americas and start toppling a few governments to get their oil ( I'm looking at you Stephen Harper ) and then use our Navy to keep Europe away to allow them to figure out how they can protect their own interests with out the US military protecting their borders so they can divert money to their social programs.But another part says that the short term laugh factory created watching most of the Baltic states collapse, and Russia invading their old turf, would be offset by the reality that being the biggest and baddest ever, we would pretty much have to go back over there just to beat the Red Bear on principle.So in the long run, its probably cheaper to keep our presence high. And we just aren't the people we once were that can drop a bomb and ignore the results.
So that's the people who we want to take over the government that rules the largest standing army in the region?
Actually today it appears the violence was started by people who support the Gov't.
Actually today it appears the violence was started by people who support the Gov't.
Yea, I was more pointing to the notion that setting fire to a shopping center to protest either side pretty much means you are an idiot and should not be allowed to vote.And what's with the supporters? Are they worried that they are going against the wall because of their past being on the right side of Mubari?Why demonstrate their support for someone who is obviously going to be gone soon? They must be worried about repercussions
So that's the people who we want to take over the government that rules the largest standing army in the region?
Uh, both sides are represented in those pictures by angry people yelling and/or committing acts of violence.
Uh, both sides are represented in those pictures by angry people yelling and/or committing acts of violence.
Both sides are Egyptians.I am making fun of Egyptians.If they are for or against Mubari, I don't care, they are trashing their own town. And driving the police away was a good call a couple days ago before the looting and prison breaks started.
You don't think the American Revolution might've had a few burning buildings?
I am a realist about this, and you are right. We can basically put to use the 30% budget line item on weapons and things that kill people really really well, or we should just shut the borders, because the notion of using an A-1 Abrams to make people get along with others has been a failure.As has the notion that smart Ivy League liberals who care more and have the diplomas to show why they are better than the rest of us can make policy that will make war obsolete is nothing but a liberal social experiment that threw away the lives of 50,000 American soldiers in Vietnam.Part of me thinks we should just focus on the Americas and start toppling a few governments to get their oil ( I'm looking at you Stephen Harper ) and then use our Navy to keep Europe away to allow them to figure out how they can protect their own interests with out the US military protecting their borders so they can divert money to their social programs.But another part says that the short term laugh factory created watching most of the Baltic states collapse, and Russia invading their old turf, would be offset by the reality that being the biggest and baddest ever, we would pretty much have to go back over there just to beat the Red Bear on principle.So in the long run, its probably cheaper to keep our presence high. And we just aren't the people we once were that can drop a bomb and ignore the results.
I agree we should nationalize Canada. AND WHAT ARE YOU GUNNA DO ABOUT IT, CANADA?HUH?HUH?WHAT ARE YOU GUNNA DO ABOUT IT?rbc4_02.jpgNo, we aren't the people we used to be, but if we look at the changes we've undergone and ask ourselves if we're better for it, the answer is no. We are worse for it. Every attack we endure, every death we chalk up we can trace straight back to the fact that we're no longer feared. In one generation, Germany went from delousing Europe to gaydom.

Here comes the iron fist. The government is rounding up (and blaming) journalists. According to Reuters, they've also begun detaining Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch workers.

Here comes the iron fist. The government is rounding up (and blaming) journalists. According to Reuters, they've also begun detaining Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch workers.
I just read where Nick Kristof said, "I wonder what the Mubarek supporters are up to?" He has no doubt that they are employed thugs who suddenly have shown up armed, chanting the same chants and are pre-coached and organized simply to cause violence. The protest was peaceful for 8 days till they showed up. This is obviously done with the intent to send in the Army to break it up and he doesn't want the journalist to report on it. Basically, Mubarek is an idiot if he thinks anyone is buying it.
I just read where Nick Kristof said, "I wonder what the Mubarek supporters are up to?" He has no doubt that they are employed thugs who suddenly have shown up armed, chanting the same chants and are pre-coached and organized simply to cause violence. The protest was peaceful for 8 days till they showed up. This is obviously done with the intent to send in the Army to break it up and he doesn't want the journalist to report on it. Basically, Mubarek is an idiot if he thinks anyone is buying it.
?He doesn't care what we think, he is trying to re-establish a dictatorship.The problem with dictators and their regimes is that many people stand to get theirs if the dictator leaves office, so they will support him out of self interest.Egypt will burn for quite a whileThere's no one to step up and help them.