Msnbc Shifting Right?

Bachman's response is not the tea party response, it's just her personal response. I'm not sure why she can get attention for that. I called and they wouldn't broadcast mine.
I heard earlier that only CNN was going to carry her speech, so nobody will see it anyway.
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched about 3 minutes and was forced to turn it off in disgust. It's like watching an infomercial where the audience applauds in awe and appreciation that the gadget opened the can with sharp edges!!!! OMG WE'RE GONNA WIN THE FUTURE!!!!The difference is the acting is better on infomercials.

Ryan's response: Pretty boilerplate, lots of the right words. The real test is to actually do it, and I don't think the R's are up to it. The best thing about the response: no applause breaks. I would've had to shut it off.

Here's the text of her speech. Which part did you object to? Or was it her delivery? (I couldn't bring myself to watch it).
I was referring to her delivering. I'll need to do some research before I can declare the content a disaster as well, but she said a lot that makes you go "huh?"She used far too much eyeshadow, making her look completely crazy.She spent the entire time looking 45 degrees to the right of the camera.She used a powerpoint presentation to help her.She invoked Iwo-Jima and then (I think...I have to hear it again) implied that Obama is totalitarian.Edit - Just saw the transcript you guys linked to above and she did, in fact, imply Obama is totalitarian and that we need to rise up to beat him back.
I was referring to her delivering. I'll need to do some research before I can declare the content a disaster as well, but she said a lot that makes you go "huh?"She used far too much eyeshadow, making her look completely crazy.She spent the entire time looking 45 degrees to the right of the camera.She used a powerpoint presentation to help her.She invoked Iwo-Jima and then (I think...I have to hear it again) implied that Obama is totalitarian.Edit - Just saw the transcript you guys linked to above and she did, in fact, imply Obama is totalitarian and that we need to rise up to beat him back.
OK, this:
The perilous battle that was fought in the pacific, at Iwo Jima, was a battle against all odds, and yet the image of the young G.I.s in the incursion against the Japanese immortalizes their victory. These six young men raising the flag came to symbolize all of America coming together to beat back a totalitarian aggressor.
is the kind of stuff that makes her such a fringe candidate. It's really too bad because, like this speech, 90% of what she says is just standard "govt is too big" stuff; then she always needs to add a little of her own personal brand of crazy.
OK, this:is the kind of stuff that makes her such a fringe candidate. It's really too bad because, like this speech, 90% of what she says is just standard "govt is too big" stuff; then she always needs to add a little of her own personal brand of crazy.
that's because she's crazy. also, the creation of America was not a miracle.

Watching Bachmanns speech right now. Only thing strange is that her teleprompter seems to be way too far off to one side... IF anything unusual happens in the next 3 minutes, I'll report back.

Not much unusual, save for typical blowhard politico BS. One thing- I bet she was a 10 when she was younger... An absolute ten. Natural brunettes with light blue eyes- in that Lauren Graham type- are usually the most attractive type of woman there is.

quite possibly Obama's most boring/content-less speech ever.wow what a snoozer.
to summarize the 30 minutes we are gonna continue to spend money at historic levels with no way to pay for it and you will support me or you won't be bipartisan.i can agree with some of the "investment" spending on schools and infrastructure at least conceptually if he would cut the overall spending, ie do away with healthcare,slash medicare and medicaid, fannie / freddie etc.overall it was a wasted hour in which he said virtually nothing. on the good side he is far enough out of touch that it does give hope for 2012.
It's kinda worth it to watch Boehner's "Fuck this speech" face. He's spent the last hour looking so condescending.
holy crap, I just saw a few highlights on cnn. the looks were definitely bored looking, but the claps he did... he was half a step away from making the jerking off gesture. I can't decide whether it was ridiculously disrespectful or ridiculously awesome.
to summarize the 30 minutes we are gonna continue to spend money at historic levels with no way to pay for it and you will support me or you won't be bipartisan.i can agree with some of the "investment" spending on schools and infrastructure at least conceptually if he would cut the overall spending, ie do away with healthcare,slash medicare and medicaid, fannie / freddie etc.overall it was a wasted hour in which he said virtually nothing. on the good side he is far enough out of touch that it does give hope for 2012.
Wow. You should be president. Clearly, unlike Kennedy, Reagan, Clinton, Bush or Obama, you have a handle on everything and would fix America and the world.
Wow. You should be president. Clearly, unlike Kennedy, Reagan, Clinton, Bush or Obama, you have a handle on everything and would fix America and the world.
not quite sure what your point is on the list of presidents, if it is a history lesson you missed a couple... do you disagree that we have gone trillions of dollars in debt without a plan to pay for it? are you aware that the debt ceiling was rasied to 14 trillion? do you realize that just a few years ago BHO himself voted against raising the ceiling to 9 trillion because it was to much? or are you saying that we are in good shape and all the presidents listed would have put us in the same place? what is your point??
This isn't what he said at all. He said that we were going to continue to invest in infrastructure and new energy while freezing government spending and making big cuts to defense and even entitlement programs. He said he would simplify the tax code and eliminate corporate loopholes. He said he was willing to change healthcare, specifically by decreasing the amount of paperwork needed to be done by small businesses and addressing medical malpractice lawsuits. He said he'd address immigration reform and eliminate idiotic practices that essentially kick out foreign students once they've earned a degree in the US.While many haven't found his speech all that exciting, I think he did an excellent job of laying out his agenda for the next two years and emphasizing priorities on which much common ground can be found.
not quite sure what your point is on the list of presidents, if it is a history lesson you missed a couple... do you disagree that we have gone trillions of dollars in debt without a plan to pay for it? are you aware that the debt ceiling was rasied to 14 trillion? do you realize that just a few years ago BHO himself voted against raising the ceiling to 9 trillion because it was to much? or are you saying that we are in good shape and all the presidents listed would have put us in the same place? what is your point??
Wow. Try to give a guy a compliment by calling him a perfect leader of the free world and he jumps all over you.What I was saying (thanks for pointing out that I missed some presidents there, btw, because I thought that was a complete list of them from 1932 to present day, but I went on wiki and realized that Kennedy wasn't even president in 1932, lol) was that you obviously understand politics, the world, what's wrong with both, how to fix our financial situation, what kind of shape we are in, bi-partisanship and how to say better stuff that reflects all of this and probably much, much more, in State of the Union speeches than all of the previous polemic presidents who had a great many detractors that I'm surprised you aren't running for office so you can fix it all and that haha this is a giant run on sentence that is a run on so that I can emphasize the sarcasm that permeates it (and end in a preposition pointed out awkwardly in a totally inappropriate and poorly structured parenthetical). I'm so tired of armchair philosophers/politicians/pundits who pretend as if they can resolve problems that are outside of the ability of a singular person to resolve that I'm calling your stupid-ass out.
that's because she's crazy. also, the creation of America was not a miracle.
Well... it kind of was. It would be like Guam winning a war against us. EXACTLY LIKE THAT!
This isn't what he said at all. He said that we were going to continue to invest in infrastructure and new energy while freezing government spending and making big cuts to defense and even entitlement programs. He said he would simplify the tax code and eliminate corporate loopholes. He said he was willing to change healthcare, specifically by decreasing the amount of paperwork needed to be done by small businesses and addressing medical malpractice lawsuits. He said he'd address immigration reform and eliminate idiotic practices that essentially kick out foreign students once they've earned a degree in the US.While many haven't found his speech all that exciting, I think he did an excellent job of laying out his agenda for the next two years and emphasizing priorities on which much common ground can be found.
Him saying a bunch of stuff that is impossible to accomplish doesn't make it an excellent speech. If he did an excellent job of laying out his plans to colonize the Sun in the next two years, that doesn't make it worth anything.http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/articl...652a01321b32366
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The ledger did not appear to be adding up Tuesday night when President Barack Obama urged more spending on one hand and a spending freeze on the other.Obama spoke ambitiously of putting money into roads, research, education, efficient cars, high-speed rail and other initiatives in his State of the Union speech. He pointed to the transportation and construction projects of the last two years and proposed "we redouble these efforts." He coupled this with a call to "freeze annual domestic spending for the next five years."But Obama offered far more examples of where he would spend than where he would cut, and some of the areas he identified for savings are not certain to yield much if anything.For example, he said he wants to eliminate "billions in taxpayer dollars we currently give to oil companies." Yet he made a similar proposal last year that went nowhere. He sought $36.5 billion in tax increases on oil and gas companies over the next decade, but Congress largely ignored the request, even though Democrats were then in charge of both houses of Congress.A look at some of Obama's statements Tuesday night and how they compare with the facts:ARTICLE CONTINEUD AT LINK ABOVE
I guess the transition from a 'Hope and Change' president into an 'Anything to Get Reelected' president is complete.He hired William Daley to take Rham's place and we go from a President who signed anything with the word spending placed in front of him, who felt the most important thing to worry about was his legacy and free health care, who had no problem spending hundreds of billions of dollars to pay off political favors, into a president who wants to cut spending?He spends more time telling us why the people that are here illegally have a right to be here, then launches into a desire to work on illegal immigration?He wants to start spending money on infrastructure that is 'best for the people, not the politicians' after spending us into the deepest debt ever by doing exactly that?So basically he ran how he wanted to run, his polls dropped to more hate him than love him levels, he gets smacked in the mid terms, so he stops doing thing and instead just does nothing at all but talk, and his polls slip up above 50% so now he wants to embrace this new love for him and pretend he really wanted to do this all along. Even though he and his party were 100% in power for 2 years and all they did was follow Bush's plans on everything while trying to pass a health care bill so bad that they had to let almost 300 companies get full exemptions or face bankruptcy...Well, at least the republicans are split over the Tea Party and will implode themselves again because they didn't learn from Clinton that the only thing worse than a bad economy is a divided party during an election.
Him saying a bunch of stuff that is impossible to accomplish doesn't make it an excellent speech. If he did an excellent job of laying out his plans to colonize the Sun in the next two years, that doesn't make it worth anything.
I don't think that the things he suggested are impossible. Certainly ALL of them taking place is difficult to imagine, but any one of them is potentially doable. I liked this speech because it (optimistically, sure) laid out a path for the President and Congress to follow for the next two years. It created an agenda that many people from both sides can get behind, and it portrayed Obama as a President moving toward the center and looking for common ground. Liberals will criticize Obama for "compromising progressive ideas" and conservatives will criticize him for not moving far enough away from the left, but I think he really has shown that he wants to work from the center (and now that the house is in the hands of Republicans, he will more or less be forced to if he wants to get anything done).Yes, a State of the Union is not an accomplishment, and so he should not be given credit just for saying nice sounding things. Instead, I view this as a checklist that the next two years should be compared to (not just for the President, but for congress, including Republicans). These are the issues that are important and that both sides, if they are serious, will think about deeply and will make REAL accomplishments toward.Just my two cents.