Harry Potter Deathly Hallows Pt 1

I haven't read the books and don't even like the movies that much, but you can't complain about a movie's logic when you apparently have no understanding of the movie's world.Edit: Also, your lashing out in this thread is very Mercury-like.
ouch.
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you have no problem with a wand being more important everything else combined? Why is Harry even important? Why didn't Dumbledore just kill the missing nose dude with his elder wand?You also have no problem with them being able to teleport at will, but not overcome a troll by the gate with a 5-1 advantage?____________________________________________I understand you guys love these books more than a woman's vagina, but seriously, there are some major holes in the logic here.
It is quite clear you have no idea what the story is all about. What troll by the gate?Never read the books so I still like vagina's more.
I haven't read the books and don't even like the movies that much, but you can't complain about a movie's logic when you apparently have no understanding of the movie's world.Edit: Also, your lashing out in this thread is very Mercury-like.
hahaha. Mercury-like. Good one SJ. I'VE BEEN MISUNDERSTOOD!!I was going for a Conan-style dissing of the Harry Potter nerds, which obviously didn't translate via written word, even though Conan has more cussing on his new show and still makes fun of nerds religiously.
All questions that make no sense to someone that knows the full story.
I'm assuming you meant "doesn't know", in which case, sure. I agree.
I'm not even sure what you're referring to here, refresh my memory?
They were in the basement of the blond team's mansion, and the weird troll dude that turns into a rat in a previous movie pushed them downstairs and there were already 2 people down there, so they had a 5 to 1 advantage over a guy that they had beaten in a previous movie.
Dude, it's a story about teenage wizards. Get a grip, of course there are holes in the logic. But not to the degree which you believe, and that's obviously because you don't know much about the world the movie is set in, as SJ said. Which is fine.
Oh, I know. It's just that my wife is obsessed with these movies, and talks about how awesome billionaire writer chick is, and so whenever obvious flaws pop up, it's really annoys me.
DO YOU EVER GET TIRED OF BEING WRONG?Anyway, I'm pretty sure what speedz meant was that someone who knew the full story wouldn't ask those types of questions because they would be nonsensical.
Ok, I can see that, but it's basically the inverse of what I was saying, so it means the same thing. Speedz is saying that people that know the full story think those questions are nonsensical, because they are explained. I think they are nonsensical because I don't know the whole story.I don't necessarily believe that, but I get what he's saying.I mean, even if I read the books, wands are still going to end up being more important than anything by a massive margin. If I was a boy-wizard, I would be making really really good friends in the wand making classes, not with Harry Potter. In fact, a good friend who is an elf and can teleport into any room, at the exact moment that I need him the most, would probably be the best. Of course, elves may not be allowed to go to school with the human kids.

The elves are slaves. So no, they don't get to go to school. They serve their masters. The elf in question in the latest movie was Harry's elf but Harry didn't think it was right to keep him as his servant and set him free.

My problem with the first one I saw was the sport with the flying golden ball, where the team works really hard to score a bunch of points and are up like 20-0 and then Harry catches the ball and the game is immediately over. Has the author never watched a sport before?
Yeah, I hate this part of the books, it's just ridiculous. It's the dumbest invented sport ever, even worse than the X Games. And it really could've been any sport, with Harry as the star, there's no reason it had to be silly. I get the feeling Rowland wasn't a sports fan, and this is her sheltered woman's view of sports.
I mean, even if I read the books, wands are still going to end up being more important than anything by a massive margin. If I was a boy-wizard, I would be making really really good friends in the wand making classes, not with Harry Potter. In fact, a good friend who is an elf and can teleport into any room, at the exact moment that I need him the most, would probably be the best. Of course, elves may not be allowed to go to school with the human kids.
The idea is that a wizard has to be matched perfectly with the wand by wandmaker, and even then, all the wizards have differing abilities. It's like in the NBA, they all find the shoes they like and that work best for them, but they still don't become Michael Jordan.
brvhrt making an ass of himself is always funny to me. you'd think i'd tire of it after all these years, but i dont.
Hey, easy.
I'm assuming you meant "doesn't know", in which case, sure. I agree.
Yeah, that's what I meant, sorry.
They were in the basement of the blond team's mansion, and the weird troll dude that turns into a rat in a previous movie pushed them downstairs and there were already 2 people down there, so they had a 5 to 1 advantage over a guy that they had beaten in a previous movie.
He's not a troll, he's a wizard. With a wand. A wizard with a wand very easily beats 5 wizards without one.I think your elf and wand questions were answered, but if not let me know and I'll try to explain it, if you care.
Yeah, I hate this part of the books, it's just ridiculous. It's the dumbest invented sport ever, even worse than the X Games. And it really could've been any sport, with Harry as the star, there's no reason it had to be silly. I get the feeling Rowland wasn't a sports fan, and this is her sheltered woman's view of sports.
Well, I do think it was a good call for her to invent a wizarding sport, and incorporating the brooms was a cool idea, but yeah, she probably could have done a little better with it, if only because it doesn't make much sense to have catching the snitch negate any minimal point lead. Although, in fairness, there are examples in the book of catching the snitch not being enough to win the match, which is part of the strategy.

When they were locked in the basement/cell didn't Wormtail say there was a spell that would prevent them from escaping? So picking the lock would be impossible.

When they were locked in the basement/cell didn't Wormtail say there was a spell that would prevent them from escaping? So picking the lock would be impossible.
Yes. That is why they were confused that the elf was able to enter the room. However, it seems completely arbitrary when and how the wizard kids can overcome various spells, potions, space-time travel and locks.
However, it seems completely arbitrary when and how the wizard kids can overcome various spells, potions, space-time travel and locks.
Keep giving us examples of why you consider this to be the case. I'll be surprised if there's one that's not easily explained by someone that understands what's going on. Again, I'm not saying there are no holes whatsoever in the plot and no minor inconsistencies in the world she created, but I promise you they're nowhere near whatever you currently assume them to be. So, either take my word for it, or keep getting specific about what's bothering you. You really have yet to bring up something that we couldn't explain in a few sentences.
Yes. That is why they were confused that the elf was able to enter the room. However, it seems completely arbitrary when and how the wizard kids can overcome various spells, potions, space-time travel and locks.
I thought elves were actually more powerful than wizards, but they are basically slaves to them for some reason. IDK.
Not anymore!Edit: !
!Brv, from Ebert's review:

David Yates' "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" is a handsome and sometimes harrowing film, and will be completely unintelligible for anyone coming to the series for the first time. At 146 minutes, it confronts us with a roll call of the many, many characters in the series, and requires a nearly encyclopedic recall of the epic's previous chapters. Though I've seen all the films, there were times when I had no idea what they were talking about. Indeed, there are times when Hermione has to explain to Harry.

linkNote: this wasn't a criticism of the movie.

Keep giving us examples of why you consider this to be the case. I'll be surprised if there's one that's not easily explained by someone that understands what's going on. Again, I'm not saying there are no holes whatsoever in the plot and no minor inconsistencies in the world she created, but I promise you they're nowhere near whatever you currently assume them to be. So, either take my word for it, or keep getting specific about what's bothering you. You really have yet to bring up something that we couldn't explain in a few sentences.
OK SPEEDZ, WHATEVER. Keep living in your nerd fantasy world, and jumping on your nephew's new moon bouncy house.
OK SPEEDZ, WHATEVER. Keep living in your nerd fantasy world, and jumping on your nephew's new moon bouncy house.
Why does Harry Potter irk you so much? I mean if you don't like the movies, then why watch them?
Why does Harry Potter irk you so much? I mean if you don't like the movies, then why watch them?
You're not paying attention.