Harry Potter Deathly Hallows Pt 1

Meh.I wanted to stop there, but I guess I should explain.First, we read all the books aloud as a family, so we feel we have to finish watching the movies now.So I didn't have really high expectations since it was half a book. The movie is very high production quality as you'd expect, but it seems like there's just too much to get through to make you care about any of it. There is a very beautiful CGI thing that is interesting. Overall, though, if you are determined to see this out, you have to see it, and it's not terrible. Otherwise, there's no particular reason to see it.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually thought it was pretty good. Yeah, there's a ton of pretty involved crap to get through in five hours of material for the final book, but they did a decent job of it. Every mini-adventure within the book has to suffer a bit, but I think that it's a 2.5 hour movie that does a very good job mixing up pushing the plotlines and the action. Seeing all the characters that you know are going to die was pretty sad.

Harry and Hermione kissing was creepy as hell. And Ron's big speech about the light going through his chest was a bit gag-inducing.

I really liked it, too. I'm a bi fan of the books, so the first time I see any of the movies, all I can see is the differences between the two. The second or third time I watch the movie is when I can see it for what it is.I liked how lost and aimless the three seemed, and the actors general chemistry with one another. I was a little curious how I would feel about this installment, because while I've liked all of them, except the second, I always always love Hogwarts. I believe in the visual depiction of the castle and grounds.

That emma watson....she's pretty not ugly huh.
Extremely.
I liked how lost and aimless the three seemed, and the actors general chemistry with one another.
They really got lucky with, and did a good job developing, the actors they've had since they were kids. Even the side characters...Luna is hilarious.
They really got lucky with, and did a good job developing, the actors they've had since they were kids. Even the side characters...Luna is hilarious.
really, the actor they cast for mundungus was the first character in 7 movies who didn't look exactly like i pictured him/her as i was reading.Emma%20Watson%20Harry%20Potter%20London%20Premiere%20uvQIjdDuKE6l.jpgNO SERIOUSLY, be hotter wtf
finally, people are coming around. i've been on the emma train for years now. and i'm loving the new haircut. its so totally hot i wanna die.
emma watson being on the yahoo frontpage all hot makes me feel dirty. why so hot and so young?!@
meh, not hot
She's cute, but when she was younger I thought she was going to turn out ridiculously hot. Sucks to peak at 13.
dead to me
as ebert once put it, she's still in the "early stages of babehood".
oh whoops, sorry ouch 8z and speedzwrongz
I was talking to someone about that old standby topic of which celebrities would you most like to have sex with or whatever other version you use. People like to give little twists to these dilemmas to make them feel like they are more than just a crass “this is who I want to do,” but put aside the million dollars or the significant other who will allow it no strings attached or the alien who will make it so you never get caught and it still comes back to "this is who I’d like to do." I started thinking about all the usual suspects: Brad Pitt, Leonardo DiCaprio, Angelina Jolie, but they just seemed too big for me. Not that kind of big, but just bigger than life. I feel like the whole night would just be too surreal and wouldn’t resonate as deeply as I’d want it to. Later I came across the Shia thread and it all made sense to me. Shia was a perfect choice. The more I thought about him and SuitedAces' obsession, the more I realized Emma is equally perfect.Now I get where SA is coming from and frankly, I think he gets too much grief for his love of them. Maybe he can be a little obsessive about them, but I think he just gets it. Think about it, both are young, successful, extremely attractive, and yet they haven’t reached that point where you look at them and think they couldn’t be the boy or girl next door. They have that down to earth vibe about them, even when they’re on Leno or walking the red carpet or at a big movie premiere. I look at them and they look like they’re just happy for the opportunity, like they haven’t forgotten where they came from. To be honest, I don’t know where they actually came from, but I can easily imagine them coming to my bedroom.I don’t mean them together as that would put me back in the surreal realm of the fantasy; I mainly mean Shia. It’s hard for me to imagine getting together with Emma because I’ve never done that sort of thing, but you know who would know how to pull that off? Shia!Now I’m imagining sitting in the back row of the movies with a friend, watching Eagle Eye. Early in the movie my friend gets a call and has to leave right away, but I stay to watch the movie. Then I notice a guy sneak into the theater, hat pulled low, and he takes a seat in the back too. Out of the corner of my eye I can tell it’s him. I don’t overreact; I just intently watch the movie. As the movie comes to a close, I lean over to him and whisper, “I don’t want to blow your cover, but I just wanted you to know that I thought you were great in this movie. I was feeling bad because my friend left me alone to tend to a small emergency, but sharing the movie with you made my day.” He tells me he had some reservations about how the final movie came out, but it’s hard for him to view it without knowing all the work that went into making it. Then he asks if I’d like to share my thoughts with him over coffee. Of course I agree. Then he asks if it would be ok to have the conversation at his place since we would be constantly interrupted by autograph seekers. Of course I agree to that too.We get back to his place and he tells me his nerves are always shot after watching one of his movies and would it be ok if he had a glass of wine instead of coffee? I say, “sure, but only if I can have a glass too.” The wine is great and we start talking about the movie, but it soon leads to all kinds of other things. A few more glasses and I work up the nerve to ask him what it’s like to kiss someone on film. He doesn’t say anything, he just leans in, brushes my hair from my face, and kisses me. The kiss is soft, yet I feel the electricity. Then he says, “It’s not nearly as exciting as that was.” We kiss again, this time more urgently, and my heart is racing. I don’t know what’s happening, but I know I’m not about to put a stop to any of it. But then, something else does put a stop to it, the ring of his cell phone. I sit up and straighten out my clothes and try to not eavesdrop too much. When the call ends he informs me that one of his friends is coming over, but he’d like me to stay. I agree, but wonder if our fun was over.It’s not. He kisses me again and I’m his to do what he pleases. We move to his bedroom and I think to ask when his friend is coming over, but I don’t want to do anything to ruin the moment so I stay quiet. We just laid down on his bed when the doorbell rings. He says, “wow, she’s here sooner than I expected.” He tells me to stay put and goes to get the door. When he comes back into the room, his friend is with him. His friend Emma! We exchange greetings and then she asks Shia if it would be ok if she uses his shower because she has been up since 4 a.m. shooting her latest movie. He tells her that’s fine and she goes into his bathroom and shuts the door behind her. He joins me on the bed again and I wonder how far this will go while she’s in the shower. I try to find out by pulling his shirt off and he doesn’t try to stop me. In fact, he takes the opportunity to pull my shirt off. We’re both sitting up on our knees and as he pulls my shirt off, he starts kissing my neck. My arms remain raised as I pull the sleeves off and his lips move their way down from my neck. His fingertips gently slide down my sides and I can feel his breath on my breasts and I’m aching to be touched by him. He lies me down on the bed and follows me down. I arch my back, begging for him to take me in his mouth, but just as he is about to, we hear the bathroom door open. Emma steps out, a towel wrapped around her body. A smile appears on her face as she says, “I was hoping this was where things were headed,” and she takes a couple steps toward the bed and lets her towel drop to the floor. Her body is every bit as incredible as I imagined it would be. She playfully shoves Shia down to the bed, hops on top of me, straddles me, and says, “Let me show you how it’s done.” I should probably stop there; at least stop posting about it anyway…
We are coming around because she is now a woman. You were calling her hot when she was 12.
some people have an eye for talent. i am one of those people.
I really liked it, too. I'm a bi fan of the books, so the first time I see any of the movies, all I can see is the differences between the two. The second or third time I watch the movie is when I can see it for what it is.I liked how lost and aimless the three seemed, and the actors general chemistry with one another. I was a little curious how I would feel about this installment, because while I've liked all of them, except the second, I always always love Hogwarts. I believe in the visual depiction of the castle and grounds.
What does your sexuality have to do with anything?

I liked the movie. The characters showed more emotion, and the special effects were pretty sweet. I especially liked the scene where Hermione was narrarating the story of the Deathly Hallows.My only complaint is that there is no real character or scene development. This has been the same complaint from me from the 4th movie on. They never really explain why Harry is doing certain things, he just shows up in certain places. I can follow since I read the books, but to judge the movie by itself there is no setup for anything, shit just happens. Anyone who watches these movies and has not read the books must be confused out of their mind.Also, most of the previews were pretty good. I think Green Lantern and Green Hornet looks awesome. A different twist on Little Red Riding Hood is a good idea, but it looks all "Twilighted" out which means I probably won't like it.

One last thought.I thought they did a horrible job explaining the Grindelwald, Dumbledore, and Aberforth feud. They only showed a glimpse of Grindelwald when Voldemort was looking for the elder wand. For me, reading about the three was one of the most interesting parts of the book, and I hope they cover this in the next movie. A flashback battle scene between the three would be awesome.

I had no idea what was going on, as I've only seen one movie, but I thought it was pretty stupid. I understand that people love the books, but I don't think I can stomach seeing another one of these.My problem with the first one I saw was the sport with the flying golden ball, where the team works really hard to score a bunch of points and are up like 20-0 and then Harry catches the ball and the game is immediately over. Has the author never watched a sport before?My main problem with this last movie was how Harry can do all of these wonderful magic tricks, including but not limited to, teleportation, invisibility, making a tiny tent huge inside, etc... but when he's in a basement he can't figure out how to pick a lock on a gate. My wife was all, "BUT HE DIDN'T HAVE HIS WAND!". Really? He's completely useless without his wand? Why doesn't everyone just try to get a good wand then, instead of treating Harry like he's so great. I mean, ****, McGuyver would have been out of that basement quicker than Harry.

I had no idea what was going on, as I've only seen one movie, but I thought it was pretty stupid. I understand that people love the books, but I don't think I can stomach seeing another one of these.
Well of course you thought it was stupid if you had no idea what was going on.
My main problem with this last movie was how Harry can do all of these wonderful magic tricks, including but not limited to, teleportation, invisibility, making a tiny tent huge inside, etc... but when he's in a basement he can't figure out how to pick a lock on a gate. My wife was all, "BUT HE DIDN'T HAVE HIS WAND!". Really? He's completely useless without his wand? Why doesn't everyone just try to get a good wand then, instead of treating Harry like he's so great. I mean, ****, McGuyver would have been out of that basement quicker than Harry.
I don't see what's confusing about this to you. Apparently, in their world, wizards need a wand to perform most magic. He didn't have his wand. Why should he know how to hand-pick a lock? Is that a skill that you feel most people have, and therefore the scene was unrealistic?
My problem with the first one I saw was the sport with the flying golden ball, where the team works really hard to score a bunch of points and are up like 20-0 and then Harry catches the ball and the game is immediately over. Has the author never watched a sport before?
I don't even know where to start with this one.
Anyone who watches these movies and has not read the books must be confused out of their mind.
I have seen all the movies and not read the books and am not confused in the slightest.
I needed a "previously on Harry Potter..." introduction.
We saw this on Friday but made sure and re-watched Half Blood Prince on Wednesday night. I didn't want to watch this until I refreshed my memory of what happened in the last movie.
I had no idea what was going on, as I've only seen one movie,
Wow, imagine that.
I have seen all the movies and not read the books and am not confused in the slightest.
There is stuff that happened in the book that is really important to the overall movie plot which was explained in like 10 seconds in the movie. I totally get that they are going to cut stuff out of a large book to adapt it into a movie, but when they do try to explain something or have a scene based on what happened in the book it shouldn't be rushed through. For example that whole scene at the end where

Harry, Hermione, and Ron are kidnapped by the snatchers and were brought to Malfoy's house was totally confusing. The wandmaker guy and Griphook the goblin are huge parts of the story, and they just kind of show up in the dungeon. I'm sure they will develop Griphook's character more in the next movie, and they showed a super short scene showing why the wandmaker was there, but they need to do a better job of developing these characters. They don't just show up, they are there for a reason.

Also, they barely explain Grindewald's part of the story, but they have a scene where

Voldemort goes to Grindewald's prison cell which is a major part of the plot.

Again, I hope they explain his part of the story, along with Aberforth more in the next movie.

There is stuff that happened in the book that is really important to the overall movie plot which was explained in like 10 seconds in the movie. I totally get that they are going to cut stuff out of a large book to adapt it into a movie, but when they do try to explain something or have a scene based on what happened in the book it shouldn't be rushed through. For example that whole scene at the end where

Harry, Hermione, and Ron are kidnapped by the snatchers and were brought to Malfoy's house was totally confusing. The wandmaker guy and Griphook the goblin are huge parts of the story, and they just kind of show up in the dungeon. I'm sure they will develop Griphook's character more in the next movie, and they showed a super short scene showing why the wandmaker was there, but they need to do a better job of developing these characters. They don't just show up, they are there for a reason.

I don't think they just show up. There was enough earlier in the movie to help make sense of it imo. Sure I know that if I read the books there would be a ton more but the basic jist is still there and I haven't ever gotten confused about what is going on though.

Well of course you thought it was stupid if you had no idea what was going on.
Wow, imagine that.
ATTENTION ALL ****ING NERDS: I DIDN'T **** YOUR MOTHER.
I don't see what's confusing about this to you. Apparently, in their world, wizards need a wand to perform most magic. He didn't have his wand. Why should he know how to hand-pick a lock? Is that a skill that you feel most people have, and therefore the scene was unrealistic?
So you have no problem with a wand being more important everything else combined? Why is Harry even important? Why didn't Dumbledore just kill the missing nose dude with his elder wand?You also have no problem with them being able to teleport at will, but not overcome a troll by the gate with a 5-1 advantage?____________________________________________I understand you guys love these books more than a woman's vagina, but seriously, there are some major holes in the logic here.
I understand you guys love these books more than a woman's vagina, but seriously, there are some major holes in the logic here.
I haven't read the books and don't even like the movies that much, but you can't complain about a movie's logic when you apparently have no understanding of the movie's world.Edit: Also, your lashing out in this thread is very Mercury-like.
For example that whole scene at the end where

I'm not bothering with spoiler tags.It just comes down to the fact that they don't have time to go into every little detail, and I think it's perfectly reasonable to err on the side of assuming most people watching the movies have read the books. That said, the wandmaker and the goblin do just kind of show up in the dungeon, as far as I remember. We find out how and why they were there during the time that they are holed up, planning the raid on Gringott's, which hasn't happened yet in the film version. But I may be remembering incorrectly.
Also, they barely explain Grindewald's part of the story, but they have a scene where

Voldemort goes to Grindewald's prison cell which is a major part of the plot.

Again, I hope they explain his part of the story, along with Aberforth more in the next movie.

I just don't think it's fair to complain about this without giving them a chance to explain things in the next movie. And I don't see how they failed at all in the scene where Voldemort goes to Grindewald's cell to ask about the Elder wand. It's not like that was a huge deal in the book...it was just one in a series of events in terms of Voldemort getting the wand, all of which were shown in the movie.
ATTENTION ALL ****ING NERDS: I DIDN'T **** YOUR MOTHER.
Did it sound like we were angry?
So you have no problem with a wand being more important everything else combined? Why is Harry even important? Why didn't Dumbledore just kill the missing nose dude with his elder wand?
All questions that make no sense to someone that knows the full story.
You also have no problem with them being able to teleport at will, but not overcome a troll by the gate with a 5-1 advantage?
I'm not even sure what you're referring to here, refresh my memory?
I understand you guys love these books more than a woman's vagina, but seriously, there are some major holes in the logic here.
Dude, it's a story about teenage wizards. Get a grip, of course there are holes in the logic. But not to the degree which you believe, and that's obviously because you don't know much about the world the movie is set in, as SJ said. Which is fine.