Lurbz: The Well

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

with the EV increase between the two in terms of satties and cash games, plus the lower travel distance and expense, i'll deal
also, i assume being a poker professional w 11k career earnings doesn't leave much room for travel + lodging, nm the buyins!
also, i assume being a poker professional w 11k career earnings doesn't leave much room for travel + lodging, nm the buyins!
Obv you haven't seen the home he built with his earnings, it's a castle made of Ramen. The surrounding moat water is delicious!
See, this is why I don't call myself professional, but if you have a better word for "plays backed as full time income but isn't a baller" then I'll use that, cause I don't. I know I'm not fantastically wonderful, never said I was, I'm still trying to work a lot on my game.Anyway, I'd be selling off the action regardless, and before a witty comment, yes I do have people interested already, and a potential room in a house for it.
Obv you haven't seen the home he built with his earnings, it's a castle made of Ramen. The surrounding moat water is delicious!
Untrue, it's made of Rotini and the moat is Prego.Ask ko8e.

Do you still enjoy playing poker? I ask because you mentioned that you tilt hardIn what ways do you work on your game? What helped you become a successful player? Training sites, mad volume, discussing hands with your friends etc...

Do you still enjoy playing poker? I ask because you mentioned that you tilt hardIn what ways do you work on your game? What helped you become a successful player? Training sites, mad volume, discussing hands with your friends etc...
I enjoy it, but there are some days where I just can't convince myself to play. I do tilt hard, it's something I need to work on, but I don't only tilt hard from poker, if I'm trying full force and things aren't succeeding, I tilt, any aspect of life. Sucks.I work on my game a few different ways, some days SNG Wizard work, some days HH reviews solo looking to see if I spot anything awful, some days HH reviews on Skype calls with friends/backers, HH discussion on AIM with a few people as I'm going. Sometimes I'll throw a set of 2.20s and try some spots I'm looking at to see how I can apply them beyond push/fold ranges. Coaching a few micro guys makes me make sure I know what I'm talking about rather than just saying shove fold or call, as well, and helps keep me in an analysis mindset rather than an answer mindset.In terms of what has helped me prior to now...railing friends who showed me styles I wasn't aware of that could work, and later analyzing and comparing against other styles to determine what I felt most comfortable with while still maximizing EV, etc. HighwayStar comes to mind.
See, this is why I don't call myself professional, but if you have a better word for "plays backed as full time income but isn't a baller" then I'll use that, cause I don't. I know I'm not fantastically wonderful, never said I was, I'm still trying to work a lot on my game.
unemployed
unemployed
WP sir, should mention I'm in full-time college since I don't think that's completely known to everyone here.

What is your favorite chapter in Mathematics of poker?Being a player that focuses mainly on SNG's, What % of your actions would you consider GTO and what % exploitative?How much leveling is involved with reg's playing SNG's? Do you shy away from reg wars considering the average field strength of the at your level?A question that is sort of related to the last one, is their ever spots where tournament life is a consideration in sng's? what about turbos and hyper turbos?General thoughts about the stop and go play ? If they have a purpose, what factors or conditions need to be in place for it to be the best play? If they don't, what specifically makes it bad or not optimal?Rank the poker training sites in terms of SNG content.

What is your favorite chapter in Mathematics of poker?Being a player that focuses mainly on SNG's, What % of your actions would you consider GTO and what % exploitative?How much leveling is involved with reg's playing SNG's? Do you shy away from reg wars considering the average field strength of the at your level?A question that is sort of related to the last one, is their ever spots where tournament life is a consideration in sng's? what about turbos and hyper turbos?General thoughts about the stop and go play ? If they have a purpose, what factors or conditions need to be in place for it to be the best play? If they don't, what specifically makes it bad or not optimal?Rank the poker training sites in terms of SNG content.
Favorite Chapter: Jam/Fold Game, High Blinds HU%s: about 70% GTO (or as close to GTO as I can get) and 30% exploitative, as there really aren't that many regs I have been able to pinpoint yet in 180s (made the switch from 45s so it's a pretty new field of regs to me) with highly exploitable spots other than Zippus, Faaqs, Vinsanity, and some others.Regs: I have about 4 regs I have the red colored "stay out the way" note on, and about 14 with the aqua "this guy is trbl" note. To get a red note that reg has gotta exploit me enough to cause me to really notice it and hate playing with him (rat sauce 89). At 180 FTs (I focus on these nowadays) if I have one reg at the table and he is known to be psychotically LAG (rat sauce 89) I'll stay out of his way and let him dismantle randoms until I pick up some better spots than simple marginal edges that I might take with around 4-5 medium regs at FT.Tournament Life: I'm assuming you're pretty much asking me if I believe ICM comes into play in 180s? Tournament life in 180s is essentially only going to come into play with 14 BBs or more for me, considering I'm constantly playing turbos. I have a funny HH where I managed to fold down to one ante (and I think the folds were ICM correct somehow) 8 handed @ FT and managed to get 3rd. For the most part though, 180s throw ICM out the window.Stop and Go: It's like you read my mind. I've been working on this for months in SNGs. Very profitable when done right, but I'm not going to post the thoughts on it here simply because I don't want that specific information public. Limp and Go is a fun move too though, been using that one with some success. The previous information with %s and regs, I can change gears easily on, but stop and go ranges are a bit more difficult to alter on the fly.Poker Sites: I don't know. I will rank them as follows for SNGs, but I haven't used them as I have a different situation I am a part of these-a-days:1-Whatever: All of them except PokerPwnageDead Last: PokerPwnageHopefully you weren't just leveling me.
Stop and Go: It's like you read my mind. I've been working on this for months in SNGs. Very profitable when done right, but I'm not going to post the thoughts on it here simply because I don't want that specific information public. Limp and Go is a fun move too though, been using that one with some success. The previous information with %s and regs, I can change gears easily on, but stop and go ranges are a bit more difficult to alter on the fly.
OK My newbie-ness is going to come out here. WTF is Stop and Go, and can you give a brief explanation of this and possible a HH style example?? (I guess I could google this, but would defeat the purpose of coming to a poker site to learn poker)
OK My newbie-ness is going to come out here. WTF is Stop and Go, and can you give a brief explanation of this and possible a HH style example?? (I guess I could google this, but would defeat the purpose of coming to a poker site to learn poker)
You are in the BB with 8 BBs. You call a raise and open shove any flop.There are other combinations of it (calling a 3 bet out of position and jamming is one). It doesn't really work against regulars for the most part but can work against weaker players.
You are in the BB with 8 BBs. You call a raise and open shove any flop.There are other combinations of it (calling a 3 bet out of position and jamming is one). It doesn't really work against regulars for the most part but can work against weaker players.
Ahhh. OK I know what you are talking about now. Never knew it had a name. But, with 8 BBs, are you doing this with ATC or any paint or better? Basically trying to get a weaker player to fold, but is this a profitable long term tactic to use? Also, I assume would not work well against villain that has you covered at about 4:1 or better. IDK. I would think stealing with ATC deep in tourney would be a better play than this, but I am now where near the level of play that some of you guys are.
Stop and Go: It's like you read my mind. I've been working on this for months in SNGs. Very profitable when done right, but I'm not going to post the thoughts on it here simply because I don't want that specific information public. Limp and Go is a fun move too though, been using that one with some success. The previous information with %s and regs, I can change gears easily on, but stop and go ranges are a bit more difficult to alter on the fly.
Shame. Any chance you could PM your musings on the subject to me or was that just a polite way of saying "For my eyes only"Thanks for you thoughts anyway.

I am so disappointed that I didn't get named to your hated list. Was that a mistake?

I am so disappointed that I didn't get named to your hated list. Was that a mistake?
No, it wasn't, you do irritate me, but there isn't really a disdain for your attitude in every single thing you post like the 5 I picked.

Dear Lurbz, I am currently going thru a really bad runbad phase. I have not cashed in my last 25-30 SNGs, in which usually I min-cash or something. I can't catch anything decent, and when I do I get drawn out on, or I just can't win a flip situation like ever. I am currently under $100, and I am scared I may have to make another $100 deposit again, something I have not done proudly in 3 months now. I have gone back and evaluated play, watched some videos, played on different sites, etc. How should I weather the storm until better times get here? I thought about dropping down and playing some $1 single table SNGs tomorrow and playing for like 8-10 hours straight to try to break out, but just don't know what else to do. I have thought about making a live sacrifice to try to please the poker gods, but don't know what animal/mammal/fruit/vegetable/rodent/etc I should choose. Luckily I do not have to support myself via poker, but what does someone in your position do to get out of a funk, especially when you have to support yourself in this way?Sincerely,Run Bad in B'ham

Dear Lurbz, I am currently going thru a really bad runbad phase. I have not cashed in my last 25-30 SNGs, in which usually I min-cash or something. I can't catch anything decent, and when I do I get drawn out on, or I just can't win a flip situation like ever. I am currently under $100, and I am scared I may have to make another $100 deposit again, something I have not done proudly in 3 months now. I have gone back and evaluated play, watched some videos, played on different sites, etc. How should I weather the storm until better times get here? I thought about dropping down and playing some $1 single table SNGs tomorrow and playing for like 8-10 hours straight to try to break out, but just don't know what else to do. I have thought about making a live sacrifice to try to please the poker gods, but don't know what animal/mammal/fruit/vegetable/rodent/etc I should choose. Luckily I do not have to support myself via poker, but what does someone in your position do to get out of a funk, especially when you have to support yourself in this way?Sincerely,Run Bad in B'ham
If only he could answer that question it would solve all of his problems.
really doubt he supports himself via poker
If only he could answer that question it would solve all of his problems.
^^ That. I mean, I've been having several people rail me recently and the runbad is absurd. It happens, it's variance, I've run good before too, happens. Yeah, it's frustrating, but it happens. It's just a matter of forgetting how bad you're running for the last week etc. and making sure you're playing your best no matter what. That's all you can really do, and you have to be able to live with that.
really doubt he supports himself via poker
You know what's funny is that I'm happy with who I am, so I don't NEED to be a nuthugger such as yourself and JustLikeNegs. I wonder if I still have the chatlogs where you bashed on people for the whole pack mentality of trying to be cool. What was the quote again? Ah, yes. "If VTlaxer09 makes a FT, and TrueAce13 isn't around to see it, is there still a rail thread?" Keep hangin on dome's nuts tho. I'm sure it'll pay off eventually, really.