A H L Discussion

I made the suggestion in the AHL forum that people wait to vote until discussion and analysis has happend since a vote can't be changed once it's done. I think it was Arp who talked about that in this thread yesterday and it's a good point.

I suggest we have most of the discussion on this in the AHL forum. That forum software sucks for quoting from phones unfortuneately.

• Replies 20.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FCP Bob

• Zach6668

• digitalmonkey

• serge

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

and sorry about not having everything up to date yet contract wise. I'll be working on that the next couple days and will have it all done hopefully before the weekend but if not over the weekend for

Unlike other predictions, these are meant to insult and offend both finalists.   #1 Eddie Shack Conference vs #1 Tiger Williams Conference   Steelheads (56-25-1) +/- 167 vs Big M (52-25-5) +/-

AHL GM's European Summit 2015 was a blast! Whalers really embraced the culture....     As per tradition of trades whenever owners cross paths... Whalers and Swackers have agreed to swap .25 both

Posted Images

One of the things that I like best about the AHL is the way it's currently structured, you eventually hit the 'go for it or don't' tipping point. Big trades get made, players get called up to become permanent roster players, draft picks are traded for rentals, etc. Every year at least one or two teams does it. Risk/reward. It's awesome. I'd hate to see anything get in the way of that part of the league.

One of the things I like least about the AHL is that there are 'cliques' of players. There is a small group of AHL owners that only trade pretty much with each other. And how often do we hear of a trade that a bunch of owners say 'I would have offered more'. But they never heard the player was being offered. In a way, it's collusion. And yes, that does in part mimic the NHL. But sometimes too much. Like buying a free agent at the auction because someone with a contender of a team wants that player but can't afford them, so they ask you to buy them for you and then you make a trade for that player that really is a closed market instead of an open one.

Oh, and guys trading with daniel because he's daniel. LOL

The collusion is a real thing that I'm against.

Like the trades for draft picks that aren't really legal. Bob started doing this years ago. Now lot of guys do it.

Also all of a sudden trades getting announced that were made at a time trading isn't allowed.

One of the things I like least about the AHL is that there are 'cliques' of players. There is a small group of AHL owners that only trade pretty much with each other. And how often do we hear of a trade that a bunch of owners say 'I would have offered more'. But they never heard the player was being offered. In a way, it's collusion. And yes, that does in part mimic the NHL. But sometimes too much. Like buying a free agent at the auction because someone with a contender of a team wants that player but can't afford them, so they ask you to buy them for you and then you make a trade for that player that really is a closed market instead of an open one.

Oh, and guys trading with daniel because he's daniel. LOL

I think a lot of that is how people conduct themselves in their trade talks. People have long memories and don't enjoy trying to deal with some others in trade talks.

Also a lot of what you are talking about is teams reaching out and talking to other teams and understanding where they are coming from and what they want and need. It's not collusion it's doing a good job of managing a team.

The collusion is a real thing that I'm against.

Like the trades for draft picks that aren't really legal. Bob started doing this years ago. Now lot of guys do it.

Also all of a sudden trades getting announced that were made at a time trading isn't allowed.

I have no problem with these trades. I do prefer they were made public though.

One of the things that I like best about the AHL is the way it's currently structured, you eventually hit the 'go for it or don't' tipping point. Big trades get made, players get called up to become permanent roster players, draft picks are traded for rentals, etc. Every year at least one or two teams does it. Risk/reward. It's awesome. I'd hate to see anything get in the way of that part of the league.

there are going to be teams that are looking to go for it and teams that decide it isn't their year every season no matter what. It just isn't going to be as obvious before the season starts who those teams are going to be. Bad luck in terms of injuries or early slumps or good luck on the other side of things will play a more important role in how a team views their chances once the season starts.

I think a lot of that is how people conduct themselves in their trade talks. People have long memories and don't enjoy trying to deal with some others in trade talks.

Also a lot of what you are talking about is teams reaching out and talking to other teams and understanding where they are coming from and what they want and need. It's not collusion it's doing a good job of managing a team.

Reaching out and talking to owners starts with them returning messages and attempts to start conversations, I can cite numerous examples over the past few years where I contacted a team about a player, gotten no response, and then seen that player traded to another team for less than I would have offered. And I would understand if those owners had been fleeced by me in a deal in the past, but the reality is I've never dealt with any of them. So I think, Bob, to quote you Bob, that is bullshit. But it's not going to change. So we will live with it.

. And how often do we hear of a trade that a bunch of owners say 'I would have offered more'. But they never heard the player was being offered.

90% of the time when a team says this it either isn't true since the team had a chance to "offer" more but didn't since they tried to lowball or what they think is more in fact isn't more to the team that was trading away a player.

Our perceptions of what a player's worth is varies a lot. I remember a few years ago you commenting when I traded away Giroux for a couple big name rentals including Heatley who wasn't that good at that point that you thought the deal was a huge mismatch and not fair. In fact it was a standard future value for present value trade where my trading parter made out great.

90% of the time when a team says this it either isn't true since the team had a chance to "offer" more but didn't since they tried to lowball or what they think is more in fact isn't more to the team that was trading away a player.

Our perceptions of what a player's worth is varies a lot. I remember a few years ago you commenting when I traded away Giroux for a couple big name rentals including Heatley who wasn't that good at that point that you thought the deal was a huge mismatch and not fair. In fact it was a standard future value for present value trade where my trading parter made out great.

Sure, perceptions vary. And your point is valid, what one GM perceives as value might not agree with another. But the collusion part? You are spectacularly unqualified to speak to that Bob, since you are the hub of everything, and all of the owners have reason to speak to you on a regular basis. I'm pretty sure you'll find other GM's that agree with me, that they have tried to get players and gotten no response only to see that player traded to someone else. If I contact Team Redfudge and ask them what they would need to part with Oksuna Assblowavich, and they don't respond, and then I follow up with an offer of draft picks and players for Assblowavich, and they don't respond, and then they trade that player to another team for less, that's a problem. And it happens.

I'm curious...what do you think the chances of a team going the whole regular season without getting a negative score are?

Slim to none?

Ortenzio informs me that two teams tied for the fewest negative scores last season with three...Big M's and PK Dealers.

I'm curious...what do you think the chances of a team going the whole regular season without getting a negative score are?

Slim to none?

Ortenzio informs me that two teams tied for the fewest negative scores last season with three...Big M's and PK Dealers.

I will go full season without a negative score

Lol

A have a major hatred for 4 teams this year. One of those teams was mentioned in your post.

For those of you that dont read the AHL forums..Biatch to JP one of the classic lines I have ever read.

Biatch tells JP he should change his team name to the Right Lane from Underdogs..

Because he is getting passed all the time..

I love that guy

For those of you that dont read the AHL forums..Biatch to JP one of the classic lines I have ever read.

Biatch tells JP he should change his team name to the Right Lane from Underdogs..

Because he is getting passed all the time..

I love that guy

Biatch has been Right Laned by Rich.