Recreation Hockey League

My buddy is the "trainer", which seems to be code for guy who opens the door for the D.

You're forgetting about all the behind the scenes stuff... like filling the water bottle and filling the other water bottles.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There are some moments in your sons life that they will never forget and will grow from.   This weekend Adrian’s team was playing for the Northern California championships. In the final game they p

Adrian’s team is now California State Champions. Some epic things happened all weekend that I’ll post about later.   Before the final game they played ONLY the Canadian national anthem in honor of

Too bad your kid still isn't playing in Canada serge, I just found out I was picked and I'll be wearing the bands for the major peewee AAA finals of the BCC at the Canadian Tire Centre on New Years Da

You're forgetting about all the behind the scenes stuff... like filling the water bottle and filling the other water bottles.

It's actually pretty serious. I was a trainer 2 years ago and had to pass a lot of certifications. The kids well being is in your hands

It's actually pretty serious. I was a trainer 2 years ago and had to pass a lot of certifications. The kids well being is in your hands

Come on. The trainers course is a joke. Emergency action plan. Call the ambulance. Don't move the kid. There is NOTHING in that course that's worthwhile. Hockey would be much better served if all coaches were required to take a legit first aid course. And, yes, I have my trainers certification.

Is there not a requirement that the arena has to have at least one person present with emergency first aid certification?

Yes, thats the arena which is separate from teams that have to have trainers

Come on. The trainers course is a joke. Emergency action plan. Call the ambulance. Don't move the kid. There is NOTHING in that course that's worthwhile. Hockey would be much better served if all coaches were required to take a legit first aid course. And, yes, I have my trainers certification.

I dont know..The concussion protocol I took was pretty serious and extensive

I dont know..The concussion protocol I took was pretty serious and extensive

I've taken it too serge. And yes, it's helpful. I guess my complaint as a fully trained medic is that the course is 100% geared towards liability, and not towards teaching primary first aid, which is infinitely more helpful in serious circumstances.

I've taken it too serge. And yes, it's helpful. I guess my complaint as a fully trained medic is that the course is 100% geared towards liability, and not towards teaching primary first aid, which is infinitely more helpful in serious circumstances.

I agree totally...Kids lives are at stake...You need fully trained professionals to ensure there safety...But I guess its all about cost too...

This seems the best place to ask.

How do you get your kids interested in playing sports. Jin is very athletic. We play soccer and baseball in the basement and he's got good skills for a 3/4 yr old. Ive mentioned playing on a team and he just says he just wants to play with me in the basement lol. Tried skating but he won't go back. He doesn't like to watch sports as we've tried. He gets mad when I watch football and mad when my wife watches baseball.

I agree totally...Kids lives are at stake...You need fully trained professionals to ensure there safety...But I guess its all about cost too...

That's my point about the trainers certification. They do it to reduce their insurance costs, and download liability to the trainers. The same cost and time investment could produce decently trained EFR (emergency first response) trained people who would actually be far more effective in a serious situation. Let's be realistic: 95% of the dads trotting out onto the ice when a kid goes headfirst into the boards are far more likely to do something wrong than something right. I have a trainer on my team because of league rules (and because he's a nice guy who wants to help). When someone gets hurt with anything more than getting the wind knocked out of them, he has no idea what to do.

This seems the best place to ask.

How do you get your kids interested in playing sports. Jin is very athletic. We play soccer and baseball in the basement and he's got good skills for a 3/4 yr old. Ive mentioned playing on a team and he just says he just wants to play with me in the basement lol. Tried skating but he won't go back. He doesn't like to watch sports as we've tried. He gets mad when I watch football and mad when my wife watches baseball.

I think you have to let him try everything. He will pick something he wants to pursue. It really helps if he has a friend that shares the same interest.

Maybe it's soccer. Maybe it's tennis. Maybe it's karate.

Even if it's not organized , give him opportunity to try everything.

• Like 1

yeah we play everything. He loves being active and is coordinated and all that good stuff. He honestly hits the ball better than I do but anytime joining a team is mentioned he is very adamant about not wanting to do it. We'll try of course but this kid is more stubborn than a 75 year old angry guy.lol

Bit of a disaster in Adrian's game last night...We went up against Whitby..A team that is very good, but we had beat them twice...Kids just shit the bed and we lost 10-2...

It sounds weird but Adrian giving up 10 goals and he actually played ok...Must of been 50 shots on net..Brutal defence..10 breakaways..Games like this where I really wished we had another goalie, as he was getting shelled out there..Sure he didnt play amazing, but hard to watch.

Our coach lost it...I dont know if its justified, but he really chewed them out and tomorrow morning will probably be skating them for 90 minutes..

Some kids dont really care, but some kids take it seriously...

They just werent prepared last night to play the game...The night before they dominated a game and won 4-2 against a much worse team in Oshawa..

So our team looks like we will finish just out of the top 4 which are the OMHA playoffs...The bottom 4 play for the Lakeshore Cup, some people call it the toilet bowl...Good news is that in the OMHA playoff kids will probably get killed..But in the Lakeshore, very good chance we will win and get a trophy..At the end of the day, kids will remember winning a championship...They dont care what type..

Playing poker with the coach tonight, hockey usually isnt discussed..Probably good thing after last night.

Our coach lost it...I dont know if its justified, but he really chewed them out and tomorrow morning will probably be skating them for 90 minutes..

I hope Im not assuming too much into "lost it".....but why are kids being chewed out and then skated hard for losing?

I dont know, Im not a "lets not keep score" kind of guy, and I'm generally very competitive, but this just doesn't sound right to me.

But I dont know, Im not there.

I hope Im not assuming too much into "lost it".....but why are kids being chewed out and then skated hard for losing?

I dont know, Im not a "lets not keep score" kind of guy, and I'm generally very competitive, but this just doesn't sound right to me.

But I dont know, Im not there.

Well it's not house league and the kids realize it's rep hockey. He doesn't care about result as much as effort. They weren't trying and goofing off before game.

I think it's a fine line. Some kids can handle it and can learn from the discipline. I think it's ok up to a certain point. I mean he isn't singling out kids and making them cry. He is saying that they need to go out and work hard and give it their best.

Definetely not for losing but overall attitude before and during game.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if it's a good thing but second son starting hockey career( well just skating lessons)

We have started him 2 years ahead of his big bro.

Tonight's his second lesson. He loved the first time and wants to play hockey soon.

Where did the time go?

Last regular season game today for Adrian.

Playoffs can be long though. Possible 2 months

Suck it Oshawa.

The annoying cow bell ringing ShwA was silenced.

Proud goalie dad moment. After a couple weak games Adrian stole the game , a very exciting 4-3 come from behind win. First playoff game.

The ShwA gets a bad rep, justifiably. The pre game and during stoppage music was so ghetto and inappropriate. Only in the Schwa. You hear things like "my anaconda". 9 year old kids people.

Word of advice to prospective parents of a kid in minor hockey. DO NOT buy a cowbell. Most annoying parent in the world. You are insta hated.

Suck it Oshawa.

The annoying cow bell ringing ShwA was silenced.

Proud goalie dad moment. After a couple weak games Adrian stole the game , a very exciting 4-3 come from behind win. First playoff game.

The ShwA gets a bad rep, justifiably. The pre game and during stoppage music was so ghetto and inappropriate. Only in the Schwa. You hear things like "my anaconda". 9 year old kids people.

Word of advice to prospective parents of a kid in minor hockey. DO NOT buy a cowbell. Most annoying parent in the world. You are insta hated.

Oshawa is truly ghetto.

I remember back in the early days of the cardshow circuit there was a show in Oshawa. They had Vincent Damphouse signing at the show. I was at the urinal beside him telling him good luck in the upcoming season.

I played a charity hockey game on Saturday night. 3 twenty minute periods stop time. All of my body still hurts.

I have not played in 3 years. Thinking of signing myself and Otto up for next year in the Beer leagues. I can yell at him on the ice. Would be fun.