Recreation Hockey League

I mean I get where this is coming from, but arent we going a bit too far?

We have come a long way from the days, coaches use to slap the butts of kids in football and hockey to say good job..Obviously thats not acceptable now..But tapping the helmet? I guess zero tolerance is zero tolerance..

On a similar note, what do you guys think of the girls in minor hockey situation? Currently Adrian has 3 girls on his team...The girls are an integral part of the team and are in the top half of talent..

But they are now 10 years old...It s probably starting to get uncomfortable for them to change in front of boys..Next year they will be 11, and it looks like they will on the team again.

The other issue is these girls all play high level girls hockey too..So some of them are on the ice 6-7 times a week..Sometimes the girls leave in their uniform from our game/practice and are rushed to a girls game...

I dont know , I dont have a girl, but I think if I did, i would push her to play girls hockey only...You can make an argument either way..The parent of the 3 boys that were cut because of these girls would probably argue they shouldnt be playing boys hockey..

Our AAA coach refuses to pick girls on his team, and this is seen as ok by most....The girls will eventually not be able to play with the boys, especially when hitting comes into play..

Obviously there are a very few amount of girls that are specially talented that should be playing with the boys, but recreationally in A or AA hockey, girls should play with the girls....

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There are some moments in your sons life that they will never forget and will grow from.   This weekend Adrian’s team was playing for the Northern California championships. In the final game they p

Adrian’s team is now California State Champions. Some epic things happened all weekend that I’ll post about later.   Before the final game they played ONLY the Canadian national anthem in honor of

Too bad your kid still isn't playing in Canada serge, I just found out I was picked and I'll be wearing the bands for the major peewee AAA finals of the BCC at the Canadian Tire Centre on New Years Da

Separate dressing rooms. I really wanted my 2 little girls to play hockey but they did not want to. They said it was for boys. I spend my Sundays at figure skating now.

Separate dressing rooms. I really wanted my 2 little girls to play hockey but they did not want to. They said it was for boys. I spend my Sundays at figure skating now.

They still dont give separate dressing rooms..Its uncomfortable for everyone..

Maybe next year

Girls hockey is very rampant now..There are levels of hockey for any girl..

From house league to very competitive...Thats why I think there is no reason to mix them after a certain age, maybe 7 or 8

I started doing girls hockey for officiating. A majority of the officials are girls. They're great referees, one is a level 5 and done world championships. It's a bit of a pain tho to wait outside the room while they change and vice versa.

Girls hockey is very rampant now..There are levels of hockey for any girl..

From house league to very competitive...Thats why I think there is no reason to mix them after a certain age, maybe 7 or 8

The Leaside Girls hockey league is huge. When Otto played last year he played on Sunday nights and I saw the quality & quantity of girls playing was very good.

When Otto played on his primary school the team had triplet girls on the team. All the girls on any team had to dress in separate dressing rooms. After they changed they would come into the dressing room to sit with the boys.

I mean I get where this is coming from, but arent we going a bit too far?

We have come a long way from the days, coaches use to slap the butts of kids in football and hockey to say good job..Obviously thats not acceptable now..But tapping the helmet? I guess zero tolerance is zero tolerance..

On a similar note, what do you guys think of the girls in minor hockey situation? Currently Adrian has 3 girls on his team...The girls are an integral part of the team and are in the top half of talent..

But they are now 10 years old...It s probably starting to get uncomfortable for them to change in front of boys..Next year they will be 11, and it looks like they will on the team again.

The other issue is these girls all play high level girls hockey too..So some of them are on the ice 6-7 times a week..Sometimes the girls leave in their uniform from our game/practice and are rushed to a girls game...

I dont know , I dont have a girl, but I think if I did, i would push her to play girls hockey only...You can make an argument either way..The parent of the 3 boys that were cut because of these girls would probably argue they shouldnt be playing boys hockey..

Our AAA coach refuses to pick girls on his team, and this is seen as ok by most....The girls will eventually not be able to play with the boys, especially when hitting comes into play..

Obviously there are a very few amount of girls that are specially talented that should be playing with the boys, but recreationally in A or AA hockey, girls should play with the girls....

The best players should be on the team most appropriate. If a 10 yr old girl is better than a 10 yr old boy and a coach refuses to put her on his team because she's a girl, then he's an ******* that shouldn't be coaching.

The best players should be on the team most appropriate. If a 10 yr old girl is better than a 10 yr old boy and a coach refuses to put her on his team because she's a girl, then he's an ******* that shouldn't be coaching.

But my son cant play on the girls team, because he is a boy though..

There is no boys hockey..There is girls hockey, and then there is mixed hockey..

I can see the argument both ways though..

Its my personal opinion that the parents of these girls are pushing them too hard..There is no way a girl that is on the ice 7 sometimes more times a week is a good thing.

Two of the girls on our team are playing the highest level of hockey that is available to them in Durham for girls..Actually there were 3 girls on the recent Gold medal team that played in that program..Its good hockey, but again its too much IMO..

But my son cant play on the girls team, because he is a boy though..

There is no boys hockey..There is girls hockey, and then there is mixed hockey..

I can see the argument both ways though..

Its my personal opinion that the parents of these girls are pushing them too hard..There is no way a girl that is on the ice 7 sometimes more times a week is a good thing.

Two of the girls on our team are playing the highest level of hockey that is available to them in Durham for girls..Actually there were 3 girls on the recent Gold medal team that played in that program..Its good hockey, but again its too much IMO..

I coached girls right up to the Olympic level. I promise you, there are far fewer opportunities for girls than for boys. And there is girls hockey, you're right. And boys can't play it. There is also house league hockey. Should a AAA kid be allowed to play house league? Nope. It's there for kids that can't play at the higher levels. Just like girls hockey. But if a girl is good enough for the best team, she should be on it. I'm assuming you like our Olympic hockey gold medals? Virtually every one of those girls played boys hockey.

I coached girls right up to the Olympic level. I promise you, there are far fewer opportunities for girls than for boys. And there is girls hockey, you're right. And boys can't play it. There is also house league hockey. Should a AAA kid be allowed to play house league? Nope. It's there for kids that can't play at the higher levels. Just like girls hockey. But if a girl is good enough for the best team, she should be on it. I'm assuming you like our Olympic hockey gold medals? Virtually every one of those girls played boys hockey.

I agree you make very good points...

The girls on Adrian's team are good, however most likely none of them are going to the Olympics..I think my son gets his enjoyment out of the social part of the game..He has made great friends, they sleep over at each other house...They are on facetime everynight playing games and chatting...For the girls I would think socially it would be better to play on a girls team only...

I was just saying if i PERSONALLY had a girl, I wouldnt put her with the boys, especially when the girls hockey programs are getting much better.

My all means try and play on the highest level of hockey you can make...But I assure you these girls on our team are going to get burned out and will quit hockey...Just play boys hockey then , why are they playing both...

I once played shinny in August with a bunch of guys at Chesswood. 2 girls also played (they were partners). One of the ladies was a 200 lb Russian built like a medicine ball. She layed me out so hard I lost both of my gloves during the hit.

I once played shinny in August with a bunch of guys at Chesswood. 2 girls also played (they were partners). One of the ladies was a 200 lb Russian built like a medicine ball. She layed me out so hard I lost both of my gloves during the hit.

Actually girls hockey is amazing to watch...Great hockey..

There was a commercial that aired during the Super Bowl that was interesting that created some conversation at my house with a few friends.

They asked a bunch of kids to "throw like a girl"...We as parents of boys didnt think this was a bad term, as we on occasion tell our boys, stop "throwing like a girl"

I didnt realize that the term is an insult and should be not used in our everyday lives...

Society is evolving and stuff we did 30 years ago is not acceptable anymore..

BTW its an ad for a tampon.

"...We as parents of boys didnt think this was a bad term, as we on occasion tell our boys, stop "throwing like a girl"

I didnt realize that the term is an insult and should be not used in our everyday lives...

read what you wrote again.

I'm not trying to make a big deal out of it, we have all said it, but its pretty obvious we are actually insulting all women when we say "you throw like a girl".

I hate to be the guy thats sensitive to words, but I can see it, and I really liked that commercial.

read what you wrote again.

I'm not trying to make a big deal out of it, we have all said it, but its pretty obvious we are actually insulting all women when we say "you throw like a girl".

I hate to be the guy thats sensitive to words, but I can see it, and I really liked that commercial.

I dont know if I agree...Lot of women arent as politically correct and sensitive as we make them out to be..

I mean obviously its insulting...But my wife" throws like a girl"..and she will admit to it and laugh about it.

But ya you dont want to tell a 8 year old girl, you throw like a girl

I joke around with my girls and say they throw like a girl. Their response is always but Daddy I am a girl.

This was the response of the dads in the room that had girls..

I think at some point we are too politically correct and everything that comes out of our mouths will offend SOMEONE.. Not saying I agree either way, but its not that black and white..

The WOW moment of the commercial was when we found out the product.

No because they often mix the whites and darks. Next thing you know you have pink underwear and things get confusing. Laundry room is a guy's room.

Truth be known, I do my own laundry. Its one of the easiest things to do.

Im running out of rooms to designate as "where a woman belongs". Help!

Truth be known, I do my own laundry. Its one of the easiest things to do.

Im running out of rooms to designate as "where a woman belongs". Help!

its hard