I agree...what?My favorite phone call into the local sports station is the following:"Its the Indians fault. Come on, who tries to beat a tag in a perfect game, you gotta hold up and give it to Galarraga."There is a big WHAT?I think it is safe to say that no team or player wants the other team to pitch a perfect game. This ain't football and some sack record being broken here.
Not so far fetched. If we are losing 9-0, and I am the last out, I might not run it out so hard.
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not so far fetched. If we are losing 9-0, and I am the last out, I might not run it out so hard.
God, that's so gross. I'm glad you weren't on any of my teams.
Wow.Well first off they were down 3-0 so they still have a shot. Two, Donald doesn't get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to dog it to first in a 3-0 game when the opposing pitcher is one out from a perfect game. Maybe you can get away with that mentality in a beer league but not in the any level of the majors.It's not like a team that just gets no hit goes in the clubhouse and high fives each other for doing nothing all day on the diamond. An opposing pitcher is about to do something to you and your team that has only happened 20 previous times over hundred of thousands of games. You run that shit out. If he didn't, he would get his ass reamed by his team, coaches, and management.
i am happy that the ump really understands what this meant, and i can certainly see that regrets his mistakei feel bad for the Pitcher tho...this is awful!
this
Pussy.
and no. Imo, bud did the right thing. what happened was a huge mistake. Joyce admitted that he made a horrible mistake and cost Galaraga a perfect game, but if you overturned that call, you're going to have players and teams bitching about every close call in the game and begging bud to overturn it. human error is part of the game, and though this is probably the biggest blunder i can remember, the call should stand. plus galaraga got a free corvette out of the situation. can't be that bad.
thisand no. Imo, bud did the right thing. what happened was a huge mistake. Joyce admitted that he made a horrible mistake and cost Galaraga a perfect game, but if you overturned that call, you're going to have players and teams bitching about every close call in the game and begging bud to overturn it. human error is part of the game, and though this is probably the biggest blunder i can remember, the call should stand. plus galaraga got a free corvette out of the situation. can't be that bad.
I was kidding. I didn't expect nor think he should change the ruling. Selig isn't my favorite - still can't get over the debacle of the All Star Game a few years ago. I think he is sort of lucky that Galarraga and Joyce handled this the best imaginable manner. So did Leyland. There IS a precedent for changing the an on field ruling and even the potential outcome of a game. Think George Brett.
I was kidding. I didn't expect nor think he should change the ruling. Selig isn't my favorite - still can't get over the debacle of the All Star Game a few years ago. I think he is sort of lucky that Galarraga and Joyce handled this the best imaginable manner. So did Leyland. There IS a precedent for changing the an on field ruling and even the potential outcome of a game. Think George Brett.
yeah that Milwaukee all star game was painful to say the least. The George Brett case determined the outcome of that game. this not nearly.
First of all, I'm not sure you know how long "a few seconds" is. Secondly, no. Umpires should call what they see. End of story.I feel like you've never actually played sports.Yeah.
i'll give you the fact that a "few" seconds might be an exaggeration, but it did take much longer than usual to make the call. Especially since it was a routine play at first. do you feel like I've actually never played any sports cause i'm a girl and probably incapable of throwing a ball????
Oh I missed that comment about the Indians rooting for Galarraga.You never ever ever ever want someone to throw a no hitter or perfect game against you. EVER. You don't want to be the pitcher who throws the ball that Bonds crushes to beat Aaron's record. If you do...you...well...you don't deserve the money you get paid. You never root to be the bad side of history. In anything really.Went to get some keys made and some guy called in on the radio angry that Galarraga got a car for his classiness and now the guys kid thinks he should get a bike when he shows good sportsmanship. lawl
i realize that nobody likes to lose...nobody. I don't like to lose either, really. These guys are pros and get paid lots of money for playing a game. At the same time, it is a game. I get that nobody wants to be "that guy" or "that team" on the bad side of history. At the same time, it's only happened 20 times in history. Most people will never get the chance to see a game like that. So yes, professionally, and as the team getting beat by it, they don't want to see it. But as baseball fans, i'm sure they appreciate the performance, as it is probably something they will never see even in their lifetimes. In no way did i mean it as they were going to go back to the clubhouse and celebrate not hitting the ball.
i'll give you the fact that a "few" seconds might be an exaggeration, but it did take much longer than usual to make the call. Especially since it was a routine play at first. do you feel like I've actually never played any sports cause i'm a girl and probably incapable of throwing a ball????i realize that nobody likes to lose...nobody. I don't like to lose either, really. These guys are pros and get paid lots of money for playing a game. At the same time, it is a game. I get that nobody wants to be "that guy" or "that team" on the bad side of history. At the same time, it's only happened 20 times in history. Most people will never get the chance to see a game like that. So yes, professionally, and as the team getting beat by it, they don't want to see it. But as baseball fans, i'm sure they appreciate the performance, as it is probably something they will never see even in their lifetimes. In no way did i mean it as they were going to go back to the clubhouse and celebrate not hitting the ball.
RG. You know I love ya......but no. Just no.
Yikes.
There IS a precedent for changing the an on field ruling and even the potential outcome of a game. Think George Brett.
I think that was pretty different...that was an instance in which a rule was improperly interpreted. Changing an actual in-play call is a huge can of worms that I don't think has ever been opened.
do you feel like I've actually never played any sports cause i'm a girl and probably incapable of throwing a ball????
Well, yes.
But as baseball fans, i'm sure they appreciate the performance, as it is probably something they will never see even in their lifetimes. In no way did i mean it as they were going to go back to the clubhouse and celebrate not hitting the ball.
Maybe that's how the team Nolan Ryan pitched his seventh no-hitter to felt, but this was not that type of situation.
Maybe that's how the team Nolan Ryan pitched his seventh no-hitter to felt, but this was not that type of situation.
Rickey Henderson was Nolan Ryan's 5,000 strikeout. He wanted to take the ball out to him afterwards. He caught a lot of flack for that.(Some of the above facts might be wrong.)

That sounds like something Rickey would do. Two things I think about Rickey:1. People forget that he was one of the best ballplayers we'll ever see in our lifetimes.2. He was most likely the first juicer to enter Cooperstown.

2. He was most likely the first juicer to enter Cooperstown.
He just got in last year. You don't think anyone before him...what do you mean by "juicer?"
He just got in last year. You don't think anyone before him...what do you mean by "juicer?"
Straight steroids. I guess...yeah, I'm sure some other guys in there probably dabbled as well. But he's pretty much a sure thing as a long term-ish user.