He's a good umpire who made a mistake at the wrong time and he owned up to it. I'm not sure what else you can really ask for. Except for instant replay.
Actually in this single instance, I believe that extreme measures could have and perhaps should have been taken. I honestly haven't even watched the replay of it yet because I know it is just gonna be so painful. I mean, the announcers must have gone absolutely apeshit. I feel like this was such an extreme situation - and most importantly it was the potential last out of the game - that time could have been taken to review it. There was nobody else on base and it was potentially the final out of the game, so instant replay could logically be used without affecting any other aspect of the specific situation. They have the ability and rules for watching an instant replay of a potential home run and then reversing the call on the field if necessary - so last night the official scorer (or a number of Detroit Tigers) should have halted the game and straight demanded that the umps figure that shit out. Not demand that they reverse the call - but it was just so obvious that they should have reviewed it in some manner, and the fact that they do use instant replay for home runs just makes it seem so ridiculous.Ok I guess I will go watch the replay cuz now I'm curious about the on-field reaction. Anyways, full (to whatever extent) use Instant Replay has officially won me over.Edit: Watched it, was painful. Just pain and confusion and awkwardness. Well, as has been said above, the kid will certainly get remembered by baseball history, all the more if and when instant replay is instituted because of this call. There have been a number of "almost" perfect games which are by no means forgotten. Here's some good ones from wikipedia wikipedia, just cuz they're interesting (and Pedro rules).These 3 were the closest, officially, to being a perfect game I guess.
On June 23, 1917, Babe Ruth, then a pitcher with the Boston Red Sox, walked the Washington Senators' first batter, Ray Morgan, on four straight pitches. Ruth, who had already been shouting at umpire Brick Owens about the quality of his calls, became even angrier and, in short order, was ejected. Enraged, Ruth charged Owens, swung at him, and had to be led off the field by a policeman. Ernie Shore came in to replace Ruth. Morgan was caught stealing by Sox catcher Pinch Thomas on the first pitch by Shore, who proceeded to retire the next 26 batters. All 27 outs were made while Shore was on the mound. Once recognized as a perfect game by Major League Baseball, this still counts as a combined no-hitter.[45]
On May 26, 1959, Harvey Haddix of the Pittsburgh Pirates pitched what is often referred to as the greatest game in baseball history.[46] Haddix carried a perfect game through an unprecedented 12 innings against the Milwaukee Braves, only to have it ruined when an error by third baseman Don Hoak allowed Felix Mantilla, the leadoff batter in the bottom of the 13th inning, to reach base. A sacrifice by Eddie Matthews and an intentional walk to Hank Aaron followed; the next batter, Joe Adcock, hit a home run that became a double when he passed Aaron on the bases. Haddix and the Pirates had lost the game 1–0; despite their 12 hits in the game, they could not bring a run home. The 12 perfect innings—36 consecutive batters retired in a single game—remains a record.[47]
On June 3, 1995, Pedro Martínez of the Montreal Expos had a perfect game through nine innings against the San Diego Padres. The Expos scored a run in the top of the tenth inning, but in the bottom, Martínez gave up a leadoff double to Bip Roberts, and was relieved by Mel Rojas, who retired the next three batters. Martínez was therefore the winning pitcher in a 1–0 Expos victory.[48]
Sadly though, it does appear that Galarragga is relegated to:
On ten occasions in Major League Baseball history, a perfect game has been spoiled when the batter representing what would have been the third and final out in the ninth inning reached base. Unless otherwise noted, the pitcher in question finished and won the game without allowing any more baserunners:[54]
On September 2, 2001, Mike Mussina of the Yankees gave up a two-strike single to Boston Red Sox pinch hitter Carl Everett.[63]
The only good thing Carl Everett ever did.
On June 2, 2010, Armando Galarraga of the Tigers was charged with an infield single when Jason Donald of the Cleveland Indians was ruled safe at first. After the game, first-base umpire Jim Joyce acknowledged that he had made a mistake: "I just cost that kid a perfect game. I thought he beat the throw. I was convinced he beat the throw, until I saw the replay."[64] The New York Times game report by Tyler Kepner called it "easily the most egregious blown call in baseball over the last 25 years."[65] A perfect game would have been the third in 25 days, following Braden's and Halladay's.
And there's more of course:
In Major League Baseball play since 1893, with the essential modern rules in place, there have been eight instances when a pitcher allowed not a single baserunner through his pitching efforts over a complete game of at least nine innings, but was not awarded a perfect game because of fielding errors:[80]
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, just...no. You can't change the rules because it's "important." How about the calls that directly affect the outcome of the game? Aren't those important too? Should we go to instant replay for those?I believe that instant replay should be used on everything but balls and strikes (and that's because we should have a damn computer calling them), but until it's officially allowed, you can't use it just because a guy has a perfect game going.

No, just...no. You can't change the rules because it's "important." How about the calls that directly affect the outcome of the game? Aren't those important too? Should we go to instant replay for those?I believe that instant replay should be used on everything but balls and strikes (and that's because we should have a damn computer calling them), but until it's officially allowed, you can't use it just because a guy has a perfect game going.
I agree. While I feel that Galarraga pitched a perfect game, you can't reverse what has been done. I don't feel, however that IR should be a huge part of sports. Keep the game "pure" and accept that humans make mistakes. Of course I don't support a College Football Playoff system either because I don't see this driving NEED for an undisputed "National Champion". Sports aren't perfect. Trying to eliminate judgment and variance seems a little silly to me. It isn't that important. They are games.

I don't see a need for more reason to slow this game down to review plays at the plate. Shit happens. And trust me, I was pissed for about 10 minutes last night but in the grand scheme of things, what's done is done. I know it was a perfect game. He knows it was a perfect game. Now the MLB is looking into it and I guess there is precedence already in the MLB of changing a call after the fact with George Brett. But even the Tigers stated they have not asked for league review over the play. It;s done. They got the win, which was needed, and cooler heads have prevailed. Armando said last night that he will get the DVD of this game and save it to show his kids how he threw a perfect game and that he didn't need it to be in the record books. End of story as far as I am concerned.

Was wondering if this was the first 28 out game in baseball ever?Also I can understand if this happened in the third inning, but this close to the end, Im giving the benefit to the pitcher,unless the call is really obvious. Better to err for a perfect game then against.Im sure the plate ump was really pissed inside too. Calling a perfect game is an honor for the ump too.

Was wondering if this was the first 28 out game in baseball ever?
Pretty sure there's been a missed call or two before.
Also I can understand if this happened in the third inning, but this close to the end, Im giving the benefit to the pitcher,unless the call is really obvious. Better to err for a perfect game then against.
I think it's better to err on whichever side you think is right. He thought he was safe; therefore, he should call him safe.
Im sure the plate ump was really pissed inside too. Calling a perfect game is an honor for the ump too.
What?

I agree...what?My favorite phone call into the local sports station is the following:"Its the Indians fault. Come on, who tries to beat a tag in a perfect game, you gotta hold up and give it to Galarraga."There is a big WHAT?I think it is safe to say that no team or player wants the other team to pitch a perfect game. This ain't football and some sack record being broken here.

this whole situation has shown what is so good in baseball. This proves that there is still a ton of gamesmanship in the game. Hats off to Leyland who has proved to being an even better guy than I thought he was before this. Galaraga and Joyce too have been awesome. Not too mention with all the talk of how the umps have been pretty sketchy this season with all the balk calls it is great to see this ump come out and say I screwed up. Even more amazing because watching MLB network Harold Reynolds kept talking about JJ for being such a stand up guy. Then he comes out and says he was wrong. Overall just a great time to be a baseball fan.

This proves that there is still a ton of gamesmanship in the game.
Pretty sure you mean sportsmanship there.Gamesmanship: the use of unconventional but not strictly illegal tactics to gain an advantage in a competitive gameSportsmanship: conduct considered fitting for a sportsperson, including observance of the rules of fair play, respect for others, and graciousness in losing
Pretty sure you mean sportsmanship there.Gamesmanship: the use of unconventional but not strictly illegal tactics to gain an advantage in a competitive gameSportsmanship: conduct considered fitting for a sportsperson, including observance of the rules of fair play, respect for others, and graciousness in losing
thanks for the english lesson in the baseball thread.
thanks for the english lesson in the baseball thread.
Thanks for...not...using words...correctly?or you're welcome.Depending on what you meant by this.
It sucks and all, but in the grand scheme of things it's probably not that big of a deal. In this day and age, who isn't going to know about this? And 40 years from now when he's telling his grandkids about it, if they don't believe him he can just say, "google it." (Or whatever the equivalent to google is 40 years from now.)Also, the way both Galarrago and Joyce have handled the situation has been with total class. So they got that going for them. Which is nice.
Something in Chinese...no doubt.

I'm really happy about how today's Detroit game went. Cars were given, applause were heard, grown men shed tears, etc.Good for Detroit's fans. I guess there were some boos, but more applause, and that's pretty damn cool.

I agree. While I feel that Galarraga pitched a perfect game, you can't reverse what has been done. I don't feel, however that IR should be a huge part of sports. Keep the game "pure" and accept that humans make mistakes. Of course I don't support a College Football Playoff system either because I don't see this driving NEED for an undisputed "National Champion". Sports aren't perfect. Trying to eliminate judgment and variance seems a little silly to me. It isn't that important. They are games.
the only reason i like the idea of being able to use replay in a situation like this, is because they use it for other situations during a game (since they brought it in to determine fair/foul balls)the idea of college football having a playoff system is because they determine a "national champion" in very disputable manner which seems unfair compared to every other sport.
Was wondering if this was the first 28 out game in baseball ever?Also I can understand if this happened in the third inning, but this close to the end, Im giving the benefit to the pitcher,unless the call is really obvious. Better to err for a perfect game then against.Im sure the plate ump was really pissed inside too. Calling a perfect game is an honor for the ump too.
the fact that JJ sat there for a few seconds to determine his call, points to him being unsure of the situation. Like a home plate umpire will appeal to one of the baseline umpires when in doubt, he maybe should have inquired a little more. I think in an instance like this, where the call could become controversial, give it to the pitcher..nobody would've argued.
I agree...what?My favorite phone call into the local sports station is the following:"Its the Indians fault. Come on, who tries to beat a tag in a perfect game, you gotta hold up and give it to Galarraga."There is a big WHAT?I think it is safe to say that no team or player wants the other team to pitch a perfect game. This ain't football and some sack record being broken here.
although i don't think anyone should have held up running to first, the poor guy who was awarded the base hit was clearly unhappy after the play. idk if it was because he thought he was out, or because he realized he had just broken up a perfect game, but his hands went straight to his head in an "OMG" reaction. I don't think anyone wants to lose, especially not a professional athlete or team, but i'm sure on some level, the indians were rooting for galarraga to pull it off.i was super impressed by JJ owning it right away, unlike the umpire who waited till spring training to tell jim leyland that inge really did get hit by that pitch and they should've won game 163 last year. I also think AG reacted 100000000 times better than i think i ever could in a situation like that.

I think that instant replay clearly needs to be instituted, but I think it should be used extremely sparingly. Maybe each manager could have 1 challenge per game, and then from the 9th inning into extra innings you could have a dude in the booth calling for reviews, like football. Also the umps could obviously huddle up and decide themselves to go review, like with home run calls now. What I don't want though is them reviewing every random play in the 3rd inning with nobody on base. The game doesn't have to be perfect, but horrifyingly disgusting mistakes like this shouldn't happen. Games also shouldn't be decided on a bad call. I disagree about computers calling balls and strikes - the strike zone can only be envisioned theoretically, because the height-from-the-ground and the height of the zone itself change from batter to batter. Also, 'from the knees to about the letters, or something,' isn't precise enough.

I personally think it should be set up like the NHL. Have an office somewhere where video replay judges are hired. Each game night there is one judge per game watching and if he sees anything that looks reviewable (aside from balls and strikes obv) then he buzzes down, play stops, he reviews more carefully and lets the ump know what the call is. This call in question would have been overturned in less than a minute if this system was instituted.

the fact that JJ sat there for a few seconds to determine his call, points to him being unsure of the situation. I think in an instance like this, where the call could become controversial, give it to the pitcher..nobody would've argued.
First of all, I'm not sure you know how long "a few seconds" is. Secondly, no. Umpires should call what they see. End of story.
i'm sure on some level, the indians were rooting for galarraga to pull it off.
I feel like you've never actually played sports.
I disagree about computers calling balls and strikes - the strike zone can only be envisioned theoretically, because the height-from-the-ground and the height of the zone itself change from batter to batter. Also, 'from the knees to about the letters, or something,' isn't precise enough.
Yes, it's a problem that computers are so rigid and unable to be adjusted at all. The fact that the strike zone isn't precise enough is all the more reason to institute the robot ump. Wait, no, there should be a hologram box for the strike zone, so it looks like a video game, and then the umpire can just watch to see if the ball passes through the box. That's the ticket!
I personally think it should be set up like the NHL.
Yeah.

Oh I missed that comment about the Indians rooting for Galarraga.You never ever ever ever want someone to throw a no hitter or perfect game against you. EVER. You don't want to be the pitcher who throws the ball that Bonds crushes to beat Aaron's record. If you do...you...well...you don't deserve the money you get paid. You never root to be the bad side of history. In anything really.Went to get some keys made and some guy called in on the radio angry that Galarraga got a car for his classiness and now the guys kid thinks he should get a bike when he shows good sportsmanship. lawl