2009-10 Nhl Awards Predictions

So, now the season is almost over, and I'm bored, so I wanted to predict the nominees and winners of each of the major awards.================Hart Memorial TrophyNominees: Sidney Crosby, Alex Ovechkin, Henrik SedinWinner: Sidney CrosbyComments: This is tough. First of all, I think lots of people will include Ryan Miller as a nominee, which I don't particularly mind. I think Ovechkin will be nominated as a no-brainer, whether I agree or not (I do agree). I think Sedin could (and maybe should win this), but probably wont because of the perceived East Coast bias. He's currently leading the league in points, and has propelled the Canucks to another division title.I'm giving the nod to Sid as a bit of a homer pick, only because this is the closest season he's had to the definition of "player adjudged most valuable to his team". He's had absolutely nobody to work with all season. Malkin's been sub-par, Guerin is old, Kunitz was injured a bunch, etc. Crosby has been stuck with guys like Dupuis for a long portion of time, and he's turned him into a near 20-goal scorer! Also, Sid is among the league leaders in face-offs, might win the Richard trophy, and has broken 100 points once again. He's taken this team on his back more so than in any other season. Without him, they're probably not fighting for a division crown, and probably fighting for a playoff spot. He also leads the league in shootout goals (tied with Toews), and has the highest shooting % out of anyone with more than 3 attempts. He also has the second most "game-deciding goals" in the shootout, behind only Adrian Aucoin (!). He's 2nd in the league among forwards in TOI per game, and averages nearly a minute of SH TOI per game.For Ovechkin, I think the biggest detractor to him winning is the fact that his linemates are so strong. Backstrom is going to score 100 points, and Knuble might score 30 goals. Plus his team has more forward depth with Semin, Laich, etc. If he manages to come back and win the Richard and the Art Ross again, though, he'll get more consideration. If he gets shutout from both of those, I don't think he can win the Hart.Lester B. Pearson AwardNominees: Sidney Crosby, Alex Ovechkin, Henrik SedinWinner: Sidney CrosbyComments: This one usually goes hand in hand with the Hart, so I'm just going to reason it the same. Since it's voted upon by the players, I wouldn't be surprised to see Henrik take it, though, since it should be a 50/50 split between East and West voters.Vezina TrophyNominees: Ryan Miller, Ilya Bryzgalov, Martin BrodeurWinner: Ryan MillerComments: This one's a little more simple. Miller takes it. Bryz is probably about as worthy as Miller, but probably won't get the votes. Brodeur gets the nomination as he leads the league in wins and shutouts. Calder Memorial TrophyNominees: Tyler Myers, Matt Duchene, Jimmy HowardWinner: Tyler MyersComments: This one is pretty close. Duchene has had a really consistent season, and has really impressed me. I want to give it to Myers for a number of reasons, but the biggest one is that he's logging a TON of minutes. He's seeing nearly 24 minutes per game, AS A 19/20 YEAR OLD. He PPs the QB, and has been as dominant as a rookie defenseman has been for as long as I can remember. He's also tied for 10th in scoring among all defenseman!Howards rise to prominence has been pretty solid, but I'll admit, age plays a factor in this, for me. I think it's a lot more impressive what Duchene and Myers are doing at 19 and 20 than what Howard is doing at 25. That's just me.James Norris Memorial TrophyNominees: Mike Green, Duncan Keith, Drew DoughtyWinner: Duncan KeithComments: There seems to be a bit of momentum coming from the "Green for Norris" camp, but I'm shunning them away. Duncan Keith is having an amazing year. He's only 8 points behind Green in scoring, so he can keep up offensively. He brings it everywhere, though. Great defensively, and great on the PP, etc. This pick might be slightly homered based on my dislike of the Caps, but that's the way I role.I don't watch a lot of Caps games, but they say Green has improved his defense, and he did make a solid play in a game I watched recently, lol. My guess is he keeps improving on his defense year to year, and will eventually win this award. Probably sooner than later. I'm giving Keith the nod for the same reasons that the Canadian Olympic team did, over Green.Drew Doughty meanwhile, is just a beast at everything, and will win this award more than once in his career.Frank J. Selke TrophyNominees: Jordan Staal, Ryan Kesler, Pavel DatsyukWinner: Jordan StaalComments: Well, mostly because I'm a homer. I think he deserves it, but it's one of those awards where you usually need a history of being a defensive stalwart for years in the league. This is Staal's 4th season, but he may still be a bit young to do it. He's deserving, though. He's currently 4th in SH TOI/game, among forwards, but there isn't a single player in the top 20 with his offensive skills and numbers. He also leads the Penguins in +/-. He's cast as a 3rd line center, but really, he plays over 19 minutes per game, behind only Sid and Geno, among forwards on his team. He also finds time on the secondary power play unit. If he doesn't win it this year, he will in the very near future.Ryan Kesler is another young, budding star, who should be a mainstay as a nominee for this award, and will win it eventually as well.edit - WOW, Kesler has 74 points? I have no problem giving this award to him, if it doesn't go to Staal.Datsyuk is, of course, the two-time defending champion, and he leads the league in takeaways by a huge margin.Jack Adams AwardNominees: Dave Tippett, Barry Trotz, Lindy RuffWinner: Dave TippettComments: I think this is probably a slam dunk. Tippett has turned Phoenix around, amidst all of the uncertainty of the summer, and they're setting club records with each win. Barry Trotz, meanwhile, the only coach the Predators have ever had, continues to take a rag-tag bunch of no-namers and make them a playoff team. And he's doing it with a budget well under the salary cap. Lindy Ruff, I don't know. I wasn't sure who else to nominate. He gets in because of his longevity (even if it's just a one-year award), and the fact that the Sabres had a pretty impressive turn around this season. If the Penguins hadn't been so unimpressive lately, I'd nominate Bylsma, but it'd mostly be based on how he turned the team around last year, and made it into a Cup champ.Lady Byng Memorial TrophyNominees: Don't care.Winner: Nope.Comments: This award is anti-hockey. (only half serious)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hart: MillerPearson: MillerVezina: MillerCalder: Duchene. No not Howard. I like Howard and think he has been stellar and almost single handedly brought us back into the playoffs but I just have a huge man crush on Duchene.Norris: Probably that Chicago guy. Blech!Selke: DatsyukAdams: TippettLady Bug: Datsyuk

Serge's Probable Pick/my pickHart: Phil Kessel/Henrik SedinPearson: Phil Kessel/Sidney CrosbyVezina: The Monster/Ryan MillerCalder: Tyler Bozak/Matt DucheneNorris: Dion Phaneuf/Mike GreenSelke: Nikolai Kulemin/Wayne SimmondsAdams: Ron Wilson/Dave TippettLady Byng: Nikolai Kulemin/ Martin St Louis

To me there should be two mortal locks.Tippett as Coach of the Year and Tyler Myers for Rookie of the Year. I love Duchene but what Myers has done this year is heads and shoulders ahead of any other Rookie.

Serge's Probable Pick/my pickHart: Phil Kessel/Henrik SedinPearson: Phil Kessel/Sidney CrosbyVezina: The Monster/Ryan MillerCalder: Tyler Bozak/Matt DucheneNorris: Dion Phaneuf/Mike GreenSelke: Nikolai Kulemin/Wayne SimmondsAdams: Ron Wilson/Dave TippettLady Byng: Nikolai Kulemin/ Martin St Louis
I loled..The only serious one is Bozak..If it was rookie of the year 2010...Its Bozak

In honour of Serge's favorite player reaching 1000 games:Hart: Daniel AlfredssonPearson: Daniel AlfredssonVezina: Daniel AlfredssonCalder: Erik KarlssonNorris: Daniel AlfredssonSelke: Daniel AlfredssonAdams: Daniel AlfredssonLady Byng: Daniel Alfredsson

(other nominees in brackets)Hart: Ovechkin (Crosby, Henrik)Pearson: Henrik (Crosby, Ovechkin)Vezina: Bryzgalov (Miller, Brodeur)Calder: Myers (Duchene, Rask)Norris: Green (Keith, Doughty)Selke: Jordan Staal (Kesler, Datsyuk)Adams: Dave Tippett (Trotz, Ruff)Lady Byng: Datsyuk

Hahaha, the Leafs can't be far off doing their own award show soon anyway, can they? Not like we've had a player eligible for any awards in the last decade :club: Anyway, the only award where bias isn't a factor is Adams, cause Tippett is the slam-dunkiest slam-dunk I've ever seen for an award there. My bias stands as the following:Hart: Hank Sedin, I'm going to make the argument that he is a better puck-mover than Crosby. At least when his brother is on the ice.Pearson: Sedin again.Vezina: Very debateable. I'm going with Bryzgalov just as the underdog, but Miller is a wall and deserves no less consideration. Brodeur is as rock-solid as ever too, particularly considering the best defenceman in front of him is Paul Martin.Calder: Another utterly DEAD heat IMO. Myers and Duchene are both beasts. Honestly, the tiebreaker here for me is probably Duchene scoring the SO goal to put the Avs into the playoffs. It's THAT close to me.Norris: This one is insanely close too, and a three-horse race. I'm taking Doughty because he does EVERYTHING, including be a leader on a young Kings team. Green is the best offensively, and is improving defensively, and Keith is solid defensively with a bunch of offensive pop too.Selke: This one is closer to a lock that I initially thought too. Datsyuk is the reigning king for a reason. As a forward, the guy hampers the other team's offence NONSTOP. That isn't to hate on Staal or Kesler however, both are respectable nominees too. If I wasn't saying Datsyuk here, I'd probably also throw out names like Toews and Richards too.Adams: Tippett. Duh.Byng: Who cares.
  • 2 weeks later...
Vezina TrophyNominees: Ryan Miller, Ilya Bryzgalov, Martin BrodeurWinner: Ryan MillerComments: This one's a little more simple. Miller takes it. Bryz is probably about as worthy as Miller, but probably won't get the votes. Brodeur gets the nomination as he leads the league in wins and shutouts.
So, they released the nominees for the Vezina and I was bang on, so far, at least. :club:http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_dadd...?urn=nhl,235131
Frank J. Selke TrophyNominees: Jordan Staal, Ryan Kesler, Pavel DatsyukWinner: Jordan StaalComments: Well, mostly because I'm a homer. I think he deserves it, but it's one of those awards where you usually need a history of being a defensive stalwart for years in the league. This is Staal's 4th season, but he may still be a bit young to do it. He's deserving, though. He's currently 4th in SH TOI/game, among forwards, but there isn't a single player in the top 20 with his offensive skills and numbers. He also leads the Penguins in +/-. He's cast as a 3rd line center, but really, he plays over 19 minutes per game, behind only Sid and Geno, among forwards on his team. He also finds time on the secondary power play unit. If he doesn't win it this year, he will in the very near future.Ryan Kesler is another young, budding star, who should be a mainstay as a nominee for this award, and will win it eventually as well.edit - WOW, Kesler has 74 points? I have no problem giving this award to him, if it doesn't go to Staal.Datsyuk is, of course, the two-time defending champion, and he leads the league in takeaways by a huge margin.
Got the nominees on this one right too: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=526313
I'm not going to disagree, but I'm curious to hear your reasoning.
I think he's close but I don't think he's there yet. Toews should easily be a nominee.
I think he's close but I don't think he's there yet. Toews should easily be a nominee.
Oh yeah.Toews and Bergeron are the two that should/could have made it as well.I've made my case for Staal based on his numbers and what I see, and even though I picked him to win, I don't think he will, and I'm totally fine with that. I would lean towards agreeing with you that he's not quite there yet.I'd be happy to see either Kesler or Datsyuk win as well, so I guess I can't really lose here, lol.

The Selke nomination thread on LetsGoPens.com has turned into the funniest thing ever. People are saying they'd rather have Staal than Nicklas Backstrom... LOL...Look, I'm a big Staal fanboy, but that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.Their argument: "Well, we won a Cup with Staal..."

The Selke nomination thread on LetsGoPens.com has turned into the funniest thing ever. People are saying they'd rather have Staal than Nicklas Backstrom... LOL...Look, I'm a big Staal fanboy, but that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.Their argument: "Well, we won a Cup with Staal..."
Lol great argument...That means they rather have Hal Gill over Mike Green.I bet you some will argue that.
Frank J. Selke Trophyedit - WOW, Kesler has 74 points? I have no problem giving this award to him, if it doesn't go to Staal.
I had to use the link to figure out what award this is, so obviously I don't know much about it, but why would points matter?
I had to use the link to figure out what award this is, so obviously I don't know much about it, but why would points matter?
True. Historically though, it's never gone to the truly best defensive forward, that I can recall. You won't see Craig Adams nominated. Usually it's best defensive forward who also contributes in a not insignificant way offensively.

Any award that Bob Gainey and Guy Carbonneau have won numerous times , its an award that is blahhh..Except in 92-93