Jj At .01/.02 On Pokerstarts

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (9 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comMP2 ($1.06)MP3 ($4.02)CO ($2.54)Button ($2.23)SB ($3.11)BB ($1.46)UTG ($0.37)Hero (UTG+1) ($0.98)MP1 ($1.01)Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Jheart.gif, Jclub.gif1 fold, Hero bets $0.08, 1 fold, MP2 calls $0.08, 1 fold, CO raises to $0.40, Button raises to $0.72,Hero???

So this topic demonstrates why not to try and post a hand here while trying to do 3 other things at the same time. That title is embarassing. Clearly it was meant to say JJ at .01/.02 on PokerStars. "Jj at .01/.02 on Pokerstarts" will have to due for now though I suppose. Thanks for any hand insight you all can provide.

I'm pretty sure at FR this is a fold.Also, are you playing a 50bb strategy? In general buying in for 100bb and reloading is "optimal"
Too be totally honest I'm just being cheap. I only have $8 on PStars, so I was buying in for $1 and hoping and praying. I wanted to start posting more hands and learning better and try to grind a small roll from nothing basically. So please keep any advice coming.

This is exactly what I meant in one of my earlier posts. I can't fold JJ for 98 cents. I could never take this level seriously. If I was broke, I think I would just not play microstakes cuz I would suck too bad.

Think about it in BBs, yoWe're playing 200nl live and we don't reload until we go broke, hypothetically or whatevWe raise from early position, we get a call, a 3bet and a 4bet... folding JJ is easy. I'd fold QQ here as well.

KJ,I understand this is an easy fold. On the other hand, it's 98 cents. I can barely buy a snickers with that.
Think about it in BBs, yo
I get what you're saying.When I decided to take cash games seriously and learn 6max instead of FR, I started at 2nl. I was "rolled' for 5nl or 10nl, but I started at 2nl and took it very seriously as I want to learn and win. I hate losing, even if it's 98 cents, especially if I know I shouldn't have played the hand.Like I get so tilted when I play poorly, so even at 2nl I'd want to play well. Nothing against you obv, but I think that if someone who is learning and is playing 2nl asks for advice, you should either ignore it, or pretend like it's 200nl or something...
KJ,I understand this is an easy fold. On the other hand, it's 98 cents. I can barely buy a snickers with that.
I guess this is where my inexperience shows up and where I get in trouble. Because it is micro tables, I find a log of people will go all in with any pair. Although some of the regulars that I see on there, I know they have ok hands, pocket 10's or better... So I find myself calling more times than not.I am trying to keep a track on the amount of hands I play using pokertracker, and I constantly find myself at the 30% range of voluntarly putting in, and my preraise around 13%.... I am making some profit, but many times i start with $3, up to $7 then loose it all to an all in that in hind site was stupid....Kos
I guess this is where my inexperience shows up and where I get in trouble. Because it is micro tables, I find a log of people will go all in with any pair. Although some of the regulars that I see on there, I know they have ok hands, pocket 10's or better... So I find myself calling more times than not.I am trying to keep a track on the amount of hands I play using pokertracker, and I constantly find myself at the 30% range of voluntarly putting in, and my preraise around 13%.... I am making some profit, but many times i start with $3, up to $7 then loose it all to an all in that in hind site was stupid....Kos
yeah, against one opponent, stacking off 50bbs with JJ is fine... in a multiway pot with a 3bet and cold 4-bet... someone has JJ crushedAlso, are you playing FR or 6-max tables?

turbomuckOP it's going to be tough to grind up from $8. I've done it before but it's not easy because you have to run kinda well. You're better off just depositing some cashyou should also play at least 100bbs. you're not playing 2nl to win the big bucks. you're there to learn the game and to progress through the levels. your bankroll and intellectual (in regard to poker) growth will be limited by short-stacking. you won't win much money, and more importantly you won't develop a postflop game.

yeah, against one opponent, stacking off 50bbs with JJ is fine... in a multiway pot with a 3bet and cold 4-bet... someone has JJ crushedAlso, are you playing FR or 6-max tables?
Sorry OP, not trying to hijack thread...I am playing fullring..So if, I raised 8, someone else raises to 40, everyone else folds. I would call, see the flop. If a j comes or all low cards (no straights possible) I bet big. if i get called, thats where i dont know what to do.... next card comes and I know 100% its a blank for him. What do i do? i find more times than not if I bet, I am called or reraised big. if I check, it is always raised really big. If someone just keeps calling do I just keep betting to the end? what do I do when I get to the end, and they reraise me all in?KosKos

Good advice all. As it turns out, the best hand of the the three other players was 1010. The other two both had rag hands. I would have hit a set on the turn and won, but I folded pre. I thought it was an easy fold until I saw the hand play out, haha. As for grinding up from $8, I don't really have high hopes. But I also don't feel like depositing more, so I'm just gonna grind as best I can and try to learn in the process.

Sorry OP, not trying to hijack thread...I am playing fullring..So if, I raised 8, someone else raises to 40, everyone else folds. I would call, see the flop. If a j comes or all low cards (no straights possible) I bet big. if i get called, thats where i dont know what to do.... next card comes and I know 100% its a blank for him. What do i do? i find more times than not if I bet, I am called or reraised big. if I check, it is always raised really big. If someone just keeps calling do I just keep betting to the end? what do I do when I get to the end, and they reraise me all in?KosKos
No problem on the hijack. We are all here to teach/learn.
I get what you're saying.When I decided to take cash games seriously and learn 6max instead of FR, I started at 2nl. I was "rolled' for 5nl or 10nl, but I started at 2nl and took it very seriously as I want to learn and win. I hate losing, even if it's 98 cents, especially if I know I shouldn't have played the hand.Like I get so tilted when I play poorly, so even at 2nl I'd want to play well. Nothing against you obv, but I think that if someone who is learning and is playing 2nl asks for advice, you should either ignore it, or pretend like it's 200nl or something...
Well said, I'll do my best to just think in terms of BB's, as this is a NLHE strategy section, not a money section.
Um... we can get into how to play JJ, but 30% VPIP playing FR micro's is waaaaaaay tooooo loooooose IMOI think a lot of good FR players play like 15-20 vpip...
okie dokie, I will try lowering my vpip tonight and let you know hows it going after a bunch of sessions.As far as getting into playing the JJ, should I start a new thread, hijack an existing. I know I should just go do a search but I'm lazy and wont do that unless someone does the standard... Dont be an a$$ and just do a search post... lolKos
Think about it in BBs, yoWe're playing 200nl live and we don't reload until we go broke, hypothetically or whatevWe raise from early position, we get a call, a 3bet and a 4bet... folding JJ is easy. I'd fold QQ here as well.
JJ is a lot easier than QQ to fold.
I fully, fully agree the actual amount wagered should have no effect on the proper way to play the hand. OP, switch to 6-max.I withdrew all my online money in Dec. for Christmas reasons. I was left with $8, just like yourself. I started 6max .01/.02 tables and have been doing well with that. My plan is to play 20k hands at this level before I move up a level to the .02/.05 and repeat.I start my 6max with $3 simply because there is more money to be won at that limit based on poor play. $8 is plenty to start with at that level.

fold liek your life depends on it. and if you are this super short, do 6 max so we dont see too many 3 bets and almost never see 4 bets ever.

okie dokie, I will try lowering my vpip tonight and let you know hows it going after a bunch of sessions.As far as getting into playing the JJ, should I start a new thread, hijack an existing. I know I should just go do a search but I'm lazy and wont do that unless someone does the standard... Dont be an a$$ and just do a search post... lolKos
It's probably easier if you start a new thread and post the hand in question. Use a hand history converter so it's easier for people to read and don't post the results of the hand.
We should try to play well if we want to be a serious player no matter what the stakes. We can look @ micros as practice, and practicing bad habits develops bad habits.
Good advice all. As it turns out, the best hand of the the three other players was 1010. The other two both had rag hands. I would have hit a set on the turn and won, but I folded pre. I thought it was an easy fold until I saw the hand play out, haha. As for grinding up from $8, I don't really have high hopes. But I also don't feel like depositing more, so I'm just gonna grind as best I can and try to learn in the process.
People grind up every day from less than $8. Keep grinding and use your points to satellite into tourneys/tickets.Oh and unless the table's been established and nitty nitty, I'm not folding JJ there.
  • 2 weeks later...
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.02 BB (9 handed) - Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comMP2 ($1.06)MP3 ($4.02)CO ($2.54)Button ($2.23)SB ($3.11)BB ($1.46)UTG ($0.37)Hero (UTG+1) ($0.98)MP1 ($1.01)Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Jheart.gif, Jclub.gif1 fold, Hero bets $0.08, 1 fold, MP2 calls $0.08, 1 fold, CO raises to $0.40, Button raises to $0.72,Hero???
Didn't read responses.Incredibly easy insta-fold at any levelYou might want to change your standard open to 5 or 6 big blinds at the penny tables.
feral_cow_icon.gifConverted by a herd of feral cowsFull Tilt No-Limit Hold'em $0.01/$0.02 - 7 playersUTG: $0.65 UTG+1: $2.00 HJ: $2.18 CO: $2.08 Button: $1.01 SB: $1.00 (Hero)BB: $2.00 http://www.fullcontactpoker.com/poker-foru...d=3299052Preflop: ($0.03) Hero is SB with :club::ts (7 players)UTG calls $0.02, 3 folds, Button raises to $0.09, Hero calls $0.08, BB folds, UTG raises to $0.65, and is all in, Button calls $0.56Shortstacking on multiple tables. Is this an obvious shove with a shortstack vs 2NL fishes or a fold to a coin flip if not a domination
plz 3ball this preflop... i know it's FR but you're shorthanded. Shoving and folding are both viable options. Folding reduces variance while shoving is more profitable. Calling puts you in a gross spot where you don't get paid off often enough since its a protected pot.
Are those 2 spots really that different?Probably