• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

worst crop of oscar nominated movies i've ever seen.
- says everyone, every year.

I liked District 9, but I don't think it should have been nominated for anything. I know it doesn't have a chance for best picture, but I was shocked to see it nominated. Even with a top 10.

- says everyone, every year.
Except that year where No Country and There Will Be Blood were nominated.Also, any year that Crash won MUST have been the worse year for nominees ever. Because that movie is BEYOND horrible. It's such a filthy piece of sentimental tripe. Literally tripe. I'm pretty sure that, instead of celluloid, they ripped out a cow's intestines and filmed the movie on those. And that wasn't easy. It took several years of research to develop a reliable way to use intestinal lining as film. I mean, that movie really sucked. I mean, thanks Crash, I finally understand that there are many different types of racism. And sometimes the person you think is racist... isn't, and the person that you think isn't racist... just may actually be racist. Wow, you really blew my mind with that one Crash. And thank you for showing me that message through a bunch of intermingled, crappy little narratives. I liked that because I'm too stupid to follow one story for two hours. It's much easier to follow a bunch of smaller, crappier stories that each is completely retarded and would be retarded on its own. Somehow by mixing them all together, we don't see any one of them at once, and their individual retardation is hidden by a fog of crappiness.Yeah, I didn't like Crash.
2005 Best Picture nominees:CrashBrokeback MountainCapoteGood Night, and Good Luck.MunichI would have given it to Capote, great movie.
Oh, GOD! I take it all back. That was a great year for nominees. HOW THE FUCK DID CRASH WIN THAT YEAR?It beat Munich. Munich! There are people who think that Crash is a better movie than Munich! And those people work in the film industry. I'm so pissed off right now I can't even describe it, and I don't even in the slightest care about Oscars normally.
Oh, GOD! I take it all back. That was a great year for nominees. HOW THE **** DID CRASH WIN THAT YEAR?It beat Munich. Munich! There are people who think that Crash is a better movie than Munich! And those people work in the film industry. I'm so pissed off right now I can't even describe it, and I don't even in the slightest care about Oscars normally.
I've never met anyone who owns Crash on DVD, or has watched it a single time after they saw it first. I don't think it's nearly as terrible as you do, but I do agree in principle with your comments. It's just a little too ham-handed. Could have used a defter touch. Either way, I have Capote, Munich, Junebug, You and Me and Everyone We Know, Syriana, Match Point, and Broken Flowers lying around the apartment. I do not have Crash. I will never buy Crash, but I might buy Brokeback or King Kong. I will be happy if either Basterds or Hurt Locker wins stuff this year.
I've never met anyone who owns Crash on DVD, or has watched it a single time after they saw it first. I don't think it's nearly as terrible as you do, but I do agree in principle with your comments. It's just a little too ham-handed. Could have used a defter touch. Either way, I have Capote, Munich, Junebug, You and Me and Everyone We Know, Syriana, Match Point, and Broken Flowers lying around the apartment. I do not have Crash. I will never buy Crash, but I might buy Brokeback or King Kong. I will be happy if either Basterds or Hurt Locker wins stuff this year.
When I watched Crash my mind was doing a sarcastic commentary, like

"Oh my GOD, how tense is this: the stereotyped white cop bigot who molested the cultured and intelligent brown woman is now the only person who can save her from the burning vehicle! This is SO ironic and thought-provoking!"

Basterds FTW at this point, but I'll watch the Hurt Locker tonight. I realised this morning that I have enough time to watch all the nominees before the awards show, if I can be bothered to. If anyone suggests some for me to prioritise viewing, I will make more of an effort to see them. ETA: So far I have only seen:* “An Education” Finola Dwyer and Amanda Posey, Producers* “Inglourious Basterds” Lawrence Bender, Producer* “A Serious Man” Joel Coen and Ethan Coen, ProducersDon't bother saying Avatar, though. I want to see it, I hope to see it, but I'm not paying $15 to watch a film alone, so until one of my friends agrees to go with me it just isn't happening.

If anyone suggests some for me to prioritise viewing, I will make more of an effort to see them.
This is the order I would see them:* “The Hurt Locker” Nominees to be determined* “Up” Jonas Rivera, Producer* “Up in the Air” Daniel Dubiecki, Ivan Reitman and Jason Reitman, Producers* “District 9” Peter Jackson and Carolynne Cunningham, Producers* “The Blind Side” Nominees to be determined* “Precious: Based on the Novel ‘Push’ by Sapphire” Lee Daniels, Sarah Siegel-Magness and Gary Magness, ProducersWhat did you think about An Education?
This is the order I would see them:* “The Hurt Locker” Nominees to be determined* “Up” Jonas Rivera, Producer* “Up in the Air” Daniel Dubiecki, Ivan Reitman and Jason Reitman, Producers* “District 9” Peter Jackson and Carolynne Cunningham, Producers* “The Blind Side” Nominees to be determined* “Precious: Based on the Novel ‘Push’ by Sapphire” Lee Daniels, Sarah Siegel-Magness and Gary Magness, ProducersWhat did you think about An Education?
She already mentioned somewhere that she really enjoyed An Education.I should probably watch it.
What did you think about An Education?
There are lots of things to like about An Education. The cast are great, it's got lots of humourous moments as well as a lot of tension throughout, the script is excellent, and the visuals are fantastic. It won't and shouldn't win best picture, though, because there is nothing ground-breaking about it. It's a very interesting (true) story, and it portrays life in the 1960s in a simultaneously romantic and realistic way. There's nothing really innovative or awe-inspiring about it, but it is very enjoyable and it is beautiful to watch. Your brain won't get a work-out trying to understand any aspect of the plot, and there are no blue men popping out of the screen at you, but it's not frivolous, commerical pap either. It's a very good movie and I'd watch it again many times because the script, characters and style are so lovely, but it's definitely not a 'great' or a 'classic'.
There are lots of things to like about An Education. The cast are great, it's got lots of humourous moments as well as a lot of tension throughout, the script is excellent, and the visuals are fantastic. It won't and shouldn't win best picture, though, because there is nothing ground-breaking about it. It's a very interesting (true) story, and it portrays life in the 1960s in a simultaneously romantic and realistic way. There's nothing really innovative or awe-inspiring about it, but it is very enjoyable and it is beautiful to watch. Your brain won't get a work-out trying to understand any aspect of the plot, and there are no blue men popping out of the screen at you, but it's not frivolous, commerical pap either. It's a very good movie and I'd watch it again many times because the script, characters and style are so lovely, but it's definitely not a 'great' or a 'classic'.
There aren't in Avatar either. That's what makes the visuals so great. They pop into the movie, not out.
As a matter of fact, I'm going to make a sizable wager on her for it.
I honestly believe Sandra Bullock and Christopher Waltz are "lead pipe locks".
After the obvious slam on her for dissing 2 Weeks Notice for best picture following the equally mindbottling snub for Love Potion #9 where she played a nerdy scientist who turns out to be a lovely swan, I think the Academy knew they have to give this to her, they have no excuses left.