Team Canada 2010

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the area where Canada dominates everyone is the depth obviously.For example the Russians may have a better top 6 forward unit. The Americans may(up for debate) have a better number one goalie. However overall the team is so much deeper, especially if we could have sent more players..Just look at the dman left off...Mike Green, Dion Phaneuf, Jay Bouwmeester, Robyn Regehr..Thats a pretty sick defense that didnt even make the team.Unfortunately you can only send 23 players and only play one goalie and 7dman...So they wont be dominating this tourney like the Jrs, IMO.

My predictions:Nash - Crosby - IginlaHeatley - Thornton - MarleauStaal - Getzlaf - PerryToews - Richards - Bergeron/MorrowNiedermayer - ProngerKeith - SeabrookBoyle - Weber/DoughtyBrodeurFleury/Luongo

Goddamn I love Marty Brodeur.One of the things I'm looking forward to in this tournament is seeing guys like Jagr, Palffy, Morozov, etc play. I don't really know why.I'm pissed about Bergeron. Guess they'll stick him on the bench until they need him to win faceoffs in the last 2 minutes. F that. He's the third best centre on his team.What bothers me is guys like Lecavalier, Savard, Cammalleri being left off the list. Not that they should be in there instead of anyone else necessary...but it seems like the main knock against those guys is that they need other good players to be good. Fine, that is a significant knock against a player. But few people (I think) would argue that, playing with good players, those guys can be among the most productive in the league. And...they'll be playing with good players.Like I said though, I wouldn't necessarily argue any of those guys in particular are more deserving than the selections...except maybe Lecavalier instead of Bergeron.Also, must've killed them to have to choose between loyal guys like Smyth, Morrow and Doan. I feel very badly for Smyth, and especially Doan.

Goddamn I love Marty Brodeur.One of the things I'm looking forward to in this tournament is seeing guys like Jagr, Palffy, Morozov, etc play. I don't really know why.I'm pissed about Bergeron. Guess they'll stick him on the bench until they need him to win faceoffs in the last 2 minutes. F that. He's the third best centre on his team.What bothers me is guys like Lecavalier, Savard, Cammalleri being left off the list. Not that they should be in there instead of anyone else necessary...but it seems like the main knock against those guys is that they need other good players to be good. Fine, that is a significant knock against a player. But few people (I think) would argue that, playing with good players, those guys can be among the most productive in the league. And...they'll be playing with good players.Like I said though, I wouldn't necessarily argue any of those guys in particular are more deserving than the selections...except maybe Lecavalier instead of Bergeron.Also, must've killed them to have to choose between loyal guys like Smyth, Morrow and Doan. I feel very badly for Smyth, and especially Doan.
Smyth's injury took him out of the tournament. With the start he had, he had to be making a good push for the team. I would probably do Doan over Morrow, but what do I know.

Green gets a bad rep on his defensive play...He is a plus 15, which is the second best in the league..He is by far the best offensive dmen in the game....

i wish fisher made it over morrow/richards/bergeron.
As much as Fisher would make huge contributions on the PK + energy, you have to consider:- injury history- this is by far a career year for him- inconsistent synergy with linematesHigh risk / high reward (relatively speaking)
Green gets a bad rep on his defensive play...He is a plus 15, which is the second best in the league..He is by far the best offensive dmen in the game....
I don't disagree he is a phenomenal offensive force, but he does have sub-par defensive skills. Did you watch him in the playoffs last year? He was horrid. I hear he's gotten better, but he's still not on par, or even close with any of the guys who made the team. And I'm sure you know that +/- is a meaningless stat when taken out of context. He also plays on the best offensive team in the NHL (partly because of his play), but I would imagine (although this is pure guessing right now) that he isn't used as a shut down defenseman against the other team's best forwards. Stuff like that makes +/- very useless.Having said that, the Canadians will not miss his offense. They have 5 of the top 10 highest scoring defensemen in the NHL this season, apparently, it wasn't worth the risk defensively, to make their defensive offense only a bit better.
As much as Fisher would make huge contributions on the PK + energy, you have to consider:- injury history- this is by far a career year for him- inconsistent synergy with linematesHigh risk / high reward (relatively speaking)
There's just no way he could be better than anyone who was picked, as good as he's been this year.He's kinda in the same boat as a guy like Jordan Staal. He could have been a huge PK and shut down force, but really, every guy that got picked can play the defensive game if necessary, so they go with the guys who have the bigger offensive upside, as well as solid defensive consciousness.

Two different conversations I overheard today:#1. "Why the hell would they make Crosby the captain? He's not a leader, too much of a hot dog" (hes not the C. Just an A)"Yeah, and I cant believe that Bouwmeester made the team. They should have picked Phaneuf instead" (Bouw didnt make it!)#2. "Russia's problem will be Varlamov, he's not that good, and so young" (yes, the 3rd gtd on the team in a 2week tourney will be their downfall!)yeah, I just love Joe "Average Hockey Fan" Blow.You just want to yell "Shut up and just f'in assume Yzerman+ crew know more than you do!!"

Goddamn I love Marty Brodeur.One of the things I'm looking forward to in this tournament is seeing guys like Jagr, Palffy, Morozov, etc play. I don't really know why.
3 former Penguins. **** Ziggy Palffy, though :club: He irks me more than Jagr and Hossa combined.
Seabrook - KeithWhat's the consensus on this pairing? I'm obv. biased.These guys could play together for Canada's Olympic team 2-3 times.
It's arguably the best D pairing in the NHL right now.
You certainly can't argue with his offensive output and I think his +/- rating is augmented by that, therefore, I'm thinking that having more defensive minded defencemen is a better option, as we have more than enough forwards to put the puck in the net. Hence, me is OK with no Green.