Russilo got the ax.

I am SO happy with the slaughter so far. The only people that I'm going to miss are Chris Hassel, Ed Werder (and only because he's been on so long, I don't actually care about him being gone), and Eammon Brennan.

As long as Dan and the PTI guys stay, ESPN will be better off. I'm really surprised that they would cut an anchor like Chris Hassel though, when they have to continue to have anchors, and he's so new they couldn't have been paying him much.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

AND RICHIE HAS MONSTROUS THIGHS   BE CAREFUL HE'LL GOUGE YOUR EYES   SCREAMS RACIAL SLURS AT BLACK GUYS   but out of love.. but out of love, but out of loooooove

Much like with Christianity, someday after I'm dead, when people are forming a religion around me, there will be a big split between those who don't believe in the literal divinity of my lifestyle and

God I love that Incognito song.

Russilo got the ax.

I am SO happy with the slaughter so far. The only people that I'm going to miss are Chris Hassel, Ed Werder (and only because he's been on so long, I don't actually care about him being gone), and Eammon Brennan.

As long as Dan and the PTI guys stay, ESPN will be better off. I'm really surprised that they would cut an anchor like Chris Hassel though, when they have to continue to have anchors, and he's so new they couldn't have been paying him much.

Did he actually get fired? I read that his role would be reduced substantially and that Kanell was gone, but haven't seen anything listing him as fired.

Russilo got the ax.

Happy that people are losing their jobs

Jesus would be ashamed of you.

ESPN sucks and I rarely watch anything outside of HQ, but I don't take glee when people lose their jobs. Cmon brvy.

I'm not really talking about them personally, but a lot of those people are millionaires and will be totally fine financially. I doubt there is a person on the list making less than 200k, and most will get huge settlements.

ESPN sucks and needs this badly to be a wake up call. It won't and things will be the same, but this definitely needed to happen.

I hope and trust that everyone involved find new jobs quickly though. I hold no ill-will toward them personally.

I'm not really talking about them personally, but a lot of those people are millionaires and will be totally fine financially. I doubt there is a person on the list making less than 200k, and most will get huge settlements.

ESPN sucks and needs this badly to be a wake up call. It won't and things will be the same, but this definitely needed to happen.

I hope and trust that everyone involved find new jobs quickly though. I hold no ill-will toward them personally.

1) I think you VASTELY overrate how much most people in media make. Sure, someone like Marc May, Trent Dilfer or Jaymee Sire might make more than 200K, but soccer writers, side line reporters, beat writers and columnists? There's just no way. Most of the people who got laid off weren't A-list television talent. They were the talent that filled in the spaces at ESPN, a lot of real journalists. ESPN will be worse for this firing, not better.

2) Lol @ ESPN needing a wake up call. These people got fired, not because ESPN sucks, but because the whole paradigm of media (and labor, in general) is shifting and ESPN is trying to get ahead of it. What's happening at ESPN is one very small speck, in a vast revolution of labor, that's going to transform our society and economy. Viewing it in any other context, is missing the point.

• Like 1

BigD totally nailed it. These people don't make as much as you think. ESPN is so huge that it can likely hold down salaries.

Plus, they are trending more towards first take and that type, so it's only gonna get worse.

I just don't watch. Not sure what their target audience is for this version of sportscenter, but I ain't me

ESPN needing a wake up call. the whole paradigm of media needs to shift

This is exactly what I was talking about. That's why I'm happy about it.

They were paying 3rd shift anchors 95k to start 10 years ago.

Of course they are going to lose subscribers. Cord cutting is only going to increase, not slow down. Cable companies are cooked and this old model of forcing 200 million people to pay for something only 10 million of them use, is over. They need to figure out what they are going to do next. Like Disney needs to merge with Netflix or Amazon or something. They better figure out the streaming model quickly, because the broadband model going the way of the dodo.

• Like 1

Right, but those are anchors, not beat writers. You understand there's a different price for in front of the camera talent and off camera talent, right?

Woj had a multimillion dollar contract with Yahoo, and he was mainly a writer.

i completely understand why layoffs happened. my problem is with who was fired and who was retained. they had a chance to clean house and get rid of all the left of karl marx d bags working over there and instead sent a good man like Danny Kannel out into the streets.

Woj had a multimillion dollar contract with Yahoo, and he was mainly a writer.

You understand there's a difference between Woj, who runs vertical, and Justin Verrier, who is a New Orleans beat writer, correct?

• Like 1

I'm not in the bag at all, I think Woj is a utter hack and that ESPN has gutted journalism in favor of soundbite scoops. I am in the bag for some of the people who got laid off.

And Pablo's voice is timeless.

You understand there's a difference between Woj, who runs vertical, and Justin Verrier, who is a New Orleans beat writer, correct?

They're both still writers, so I win. If you average Verrier's likely 100k salary and Woj's 5 million salary, they average way more than 200k. Checkmate.