you think the obama admin would cut off funding to mr mann?
I think UVa would see a massive dip in support across the board if they continued to employ a known liar. like I said, the only thing a university really has is its word. at least at KU, this was taken very seriously.
  • Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes. The conclusion was that it had to do with the fact that it's WINTER.

Boom. It's on page 2 now.

Hmm. I wonder if anything significant has happened in the past 100 or so years that might affect global warming. I mean, I can't think of a single damn thing. Not one.

Posted Images

by no means am I a supporter of academia--in fact, I pretty much despise it--but integrity is the basis for everything they do. if this scandal had unearthed something untoward, UVa has to destroy mann to preserve the flow of grant money. universities are absolutely merciless in cases of academic misconduct for the same reason: it undermines faith in the degrees they award.
Of course this would happen if the view point of the person found guilty of telling colleagues in emails that they shouldn't release certain information INNOCENT OF ALL WRONGDOING agrees with the status quo. Do you think academia would have as much 'integrity' if this legitimate scientist was testing a theory that currently isn't accepted?
Of course this would happen if the view point of the person found guilty of telling colleagues in emails that they shouldn't release certain information INNOCENT OF ALL WRONGDOING agrees with the status quo. Do you think academia would have as much 'integrity' if this legitimate scientist was testing a theory that currently isn't accepted?
so much absurd insinuation in this comment. I sincerely hope you're not referencing that joke of a ben stein movie.I hate the uppity intellectuals as much as you do. really. it just seems intuitive to me that they'd be honest and forthright on this one given the magnitude of the story and the massive amounts of embarrassment if they deem him clean and he isn't.
so much absurd insinuation in this comment. I sincerely hope you're not referencing that joke of a ben stein movie.I hate the uppity intellectuals as much as you do. really. it just seems intuitive to me that they'd be honest and forthright on this one given the magnitude of the story and the massive amounts of embarrassment if they deem him clean and he isn't.
I wasn't, but should I be? I don't remember what you're talking about.Really though, I read a bunch of the emails. I don't care what group says he did everything right. It's obvious that they were trying to cover up data. I just wish that we could trust our data so that everyone could make a quality decision. Last semester in my Energy and the Environment class my prof was constantly just telling us that we need to believe the data on x and y, but never providing the information on where the data was coming from or who was paying for the collection of the data.Data can be collected by groups on both sides of the issue, but depending on your already established views, you are going to believe one side's data completely, and nothing from the other side. That seems like a problem to me, since data is supposedly, just data.
by no means am I a supporter of academia--in fact, I pretty much despise it--but integrity is the basis for everything they do.
wow, you're crazy. have you hilariously contradicted yourself in one sentence here? or are you saying you're against integrity? you're grammar doesn't indicate that though. this sentence is a disaster. you hate academia, and yet, at the base of EVERYTHING they do is a positive quality. and still you hate them? interesting. poor writing, bad logic, or confused morals aside (maybe all three), you think its inconceivable that they would work to cover that up? you think universities have never covered something up? never protected one of their own? or would never?
Expelled. it's not worth discussing.
True, once you see it you will realize that those that get it...get it.Those that don't need to continue to ignore it.
Expelled. it's not worth discussing.
Yeah, I liked Expelled. Especially since a major part happens at ISU. One of the main 'villians' in that movie, Hector Avalos, is one of my favorite profs ever. I've taken 4 of his classes.
Are you trying to use this sentence as some sort of... I don't understand.
I don't understand what you don't understand. Every single investigation of everyone involved, both academic, and government, has found no evidence of wrong-doing.
Really though, I read a bunch of the emails. I don't care what group says he did everything right. It's obvious that they were trying to cover up data.
Yeah, but it's also obvious to you that some guy 2000 years ago croaked and then came back to life, so.....
  • 2 weeks later...

Now this doesn't prove anything one way or the other but it is interesting.http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20100715/ts_af..._20100715205842

June Earth's hottest ever: US monitorsLast month was the hottest June ever recorded on Earth, the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration … Thu Jul 15, 4:58 pm ETWASHINGTON (AFP) – Last month was the hottest June ever recorded on Earth, the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration said Thursday, amid global climate warming worries.The combined global land and ocean surface temperature data also found the January-June and April-June periods were the warmest on record, according to NOAA's National Climatic Data Center, which based its findings on measurements that go back as far as 1880.In June, the combined average for global land and ocean temperatures was 61.1 degrees Fahrenheit (16.2 Celsius) -- 1.22 degrees Fahrenheit (0.68 Celsius) more than the 20th century average of 59.9 degrees Fahrenheit (15.5 Celsius).Temperatures warmer than average spread throughout the globe in recent months, most prominently in Peru, in the central and eastern United States and in eastern and western Asia, according to NOAA.In contrast, cooler-than-average conditions affected Scandinavia, southern China and the US northwest.The Beijing Climate Center found that Inner Mongolia, Heilongjiang and Jilin experienced their warmest June since records began in 1951, while Guizhou saw its coolest June ever.Spain's nationwide temperatures made June the coolest in 13 years, according to its meteorological surface.Global ocean surface temperatures averaged 0.97 degrees (0.54 Celsius) above last century's average of 61.5 degrees Fahrenheit (16.4 Celsius) -- the fourth warmest June since records began. The Atlantic Ocean saw the most pronounced warmth, NOAA said.The average land surface temperature that month was 1.93 degrees Fahrenheit (1.07 Celsius) more than the 20th century average of 55.9 degrees Fahrenheit (13.3 Celsius) -- the warmest ever.Meanwhile, sea surface temperatures were declining throughout the equatorial Pacific Ocean, in line with the end of El Nino, a climate pattern that lasts an average of five years during which unusually warm sea surface temperatures in the Pacific Ocean move east.NOAA's Climate Prediction Center forecast that La Nina conditions, where ocean waters in the east-central equatorial Pacific are unusually cool, would likely develop during the northern hemisphere summer this year.

"Joe D'Aleo, a meteorologist who co-founded The Weather Channel, disagrees. He says oceans are entering a cooling cycle that will lower temperatures.He says too many of the weather stations NOAA uses are in warmer urban areas."The only reliable data set right now is satellite," D'Aleo says.He says NASA satellite data shows the average temperature in June was 0.43 degrees higher than normal. NOAA says it was 1.22 degrees higher."

"Joe D'Aleo, a meteorologist who co-founded The Weather Channel, disagrees. He says oceans are entering a cooling cycle that will lower temperatures.He says too many of the weather stations NOAA uses are in warmer urban areas."The only reliable data set right now is satellite," D'Aleo says.He says NASA satellite data shows the average temperature in June was 0.43 degrees higher than normal. NOAA says it was 1.22 degrees higher."
I googled your quote from The Weatherman since there wasn't a link and I see why you didn't put a link since it was mentioned as a quote in a lot of news stories but the exact quote was never attributed.Here's a comment I found in one place about D'Aleo's comment that you quoted. I have no clue whether the comment I'm quoting is accurate or not but nobody shot it down.http://www.physorg.com/news198434180.html
You cannot compare NASA lower tropospheric satellite data with sea and land surface temperatures. Apples and oranges.The lower tropospheric temperature is the average temperature of the atmosphere form ground level to 8km unlike the land and sea surface temperatures.The 0.43c satellite anomaly is based on the 1979 to 1998 average whilst the 1.22c surface anomaly is based on the 20th century average.A meteorologist would know this. I would hope he was misquoted otherwise his comments are deliberately misleading.

I found it at the end of a USA Today article.http://www.usatoday.com/weather/climate/20...at-record_N.htm...and I don't think quoting a comment on a website is probably worth a ton, but you already mentioned that.

A weeklong cold snap that has killed at least eight people in Argentina is expected to continue Monday, state media reported.Argentina's National Weather Service says the blustery weather will continue in the nation's capital of Buenos Aires, with heavy winds, intense rains and frigid temperatures expected, state-run news agency Telam reported.Temperatures dipped below zero degrees Celsius (32 degrees Fahrenheit) in 10 of the country's provinces Sunday, according to Telam.The news agency reported that at least eight people have died during the cold snap in the past several days. It has also caused flight cancellations and delays at the Buenos Aires airport.Half the country is covered in snow and the capital recorded its lowest temperatures in a decade on Friday, Telam reported.Mercury fell to -1.5 degrees Celsius (29 degrees Fahrenheit) in the capital, close to the coldest temperature ever recorded there.The cold snap is causing record demands on gas and electricity, the Planning Ministry said. It has put restrictions on business and industry use of gas to ensure homes have enough, the agency reported.

Holy crap, it was was really historically hot in the summer places and really historically cold in the winter places. that does not jibe with climate change theory at all!Hold on a sec. (Touches finger to ear)I am getting word that these things actually are exactly what climate change produces.whoops.

Holy crap, it was was really historically hot in the summer places and really historically cold in the winter places. that does not jibe with climate change theory at all!Hold on a sec. (Touches finger to ear)I am getting word that these things actually are exactly what climate change produces.whoops.
Only since the relatively recent change from the term "Global Warming" to "Climate Change". In any given year statistically you'd expect to have "Record" Days and even months. I was posting the Argentina situation to show how the "Record June" hysteria is silly and statistically irrelevant.But hey, believe what you want.
Only since the relatively recent change from the term "Global Warming" to "Climate Change". In any given year statistically you'd expect to have "Record" Days and even months. I was posting the Argentina situation to show how the "Record June" hysteria is silly and statistically irrelevant.But hey, believe what you want.
I believe that it is "worth monitoring". Since if it does get out of hand, the earth is at stake.I will agree that the rush to put out this hottest June ever stuff REEKS of lameness. But the rush to pooh-pooh it is almost as lame.Also, just the idea of global warming is a relatively recent thing. Scientific theories evolve over time. The idea that changing the theory from warming to climate change is a cop out or something is crap.
The record June is from Worldwide temperature results and not one spot on the Planet so it is more of an indicator than you're giving it credit for and nobody here is being hysterical about it. Your Argentia comparison is not a comparison at all since it's one place only.It's a fact to be considered except for those who disagree with the methodology of the temperature readings.
The record June is from Worldwide temperature results and not one spot on the Planet so it is more of an indicator than you're giving it credit for and nobody here is being hysterical about it. Your Argentia comparison is not a comparison at all since it's one place only.It's a fact to be considered except for those who disagree with the methodology of the temperature readings.
Count me in this group.Snobbish Kelvin supporters have turned me off compeltely
Only since the relatively recent change from the term "Global Warming" to "Climate Change".
It is not a weakness of a scientific theory to make more specific predictions over time.
It is not a weakness of a scientific theory to make more specific predictions over time.
Except Climate change is not more specific.
Except Climate change is not more specific.
Actually, it is. The original discovery was that the earth was warming on average. The implications of this "global" warming for patterns of climate and weather in specific places and times were predicted later.
  • 1 month later...
Also, just the idea of global warming is a relatively recent thing. Scientific theories evolve over time. The idea that changing the theory from warming to climate change is a cop out or something is crap.
Yes. It cropped up as a 'pressing, forefront issue' right about the same time people stopped caring about saving the whales, acid rain or whatever other 'green' issue was cause célèbre in the 1980's but fizzled into oblivion when attention-spans shifted. Quite to the contrary, the elasticity of any given 'theory' is usually a pretty good sign of how indeterminate that theory is. When the goal line is constantly moving, the core issues are constantly changing, that isn't good science. It's academia. Not to say that any given issue can't expand or change it's shape, but throw into the mix the fact that 'climate change' is hitched to the wagon of a broader political agenda, you can understand why some people are very, very suspicious when the nomenclature is retooled to effect the most convenient soundbites. PodOddsRAC is absolutely correct. The swap-out of 'global warming' to 'climate change' wasn't to reflect an advancement of science. It was a PR motivated tactical change made by people selling a product. Agree with what they're selling, disagree with what they're selling, it doesn't matter. The reason for that change had nothing to do with 'good science' and everything to do with making their case via the airwaves, and preempting counter-arguments that were obviously going to occur. One doesn't have to disagree with the larger concept of global warming to objectively asses the cynical forces that are often in play- but in defending such stuff when it occurs, you're making global warming a very, very easy target to shoot down. You're a lawyer, I'm an impoverished convicted felon. Isn't life funny, sometimes?