• Replies 988
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes. The conclusion was that it had to do with the fact that it's WINTER.

Boom. It's on page 2 now.

Hmm. I wonder if anything significant has happened in the past 100 or so years that might affect global warming. I mean, I can't think of a single damn thing. Not one.

Posted Images

PodOddsRAC is absolutely correct. The swap-out of 'global warming' to 'climate change' wasn't to reflect an advancement of science. It was a PR motivated tactical change made by people selling a product.
"Global warming" was essentially formulated in the 1970's and 80's. There have been massive technology advances since then, the most important being that computers became powerful enough to be able to simulate a complex dynamical system. This totally changed the kinds of predictions about climate change that scientists were able to make from simple "its getting warmer" to "when it gets warmer, we can expect these kinds of widespread effects".
"Global warming" was essentially formulated in the 1970's and 80's. There have been massive technology advances since then, the most important being that computers became powerful enough to be able to simulate a complex dynamical system. This totally changed the kinds of predictions about climate change that scientists were able to make from simple "its getting warmer" to "when it gets warmer, we can expect kinds of widespread effects to get rich by declaring the need for us to study things we make up".
f you p
"Global warming" was essentially formulated in the 1970's and 80's. There have been massive technology advances since then, the most important being that computers became powerful enough to be able to simulate a complex dynamical system. This totally changed the kinds of predictions about climate change that scientists were able to make from simple "its getting warmer" to "when it gets warmer, we can expect these kinds of widespread effects".
Are you saying that our current models are anywhere near accurate, or are you just saying they're less inaccurate than before?
f you p
all those money grubbing climate scientists being fed grapes by the pool of their mansions while the poor balloon people of the world live in squalor?
Are you saying that our current models are anywhere near accurate, or are you just saying they're less inaccurate than before?
I'm not in a position to evaluate the accuracy of climate models. I was pointing out that one of the major factors in the evolution of the theory was technology.
all those money grubbing climate scientists being fed grapes by the pool of their mansions while the poor balloon people of the world live in squalor?
I would bet many of them make more than our resident ivy-league educated lawyer.
I would bet many of them make more than our resident ivy-league educated lawyer.
I sincerely doubt it. One of our very good friends (our maid of honor) just got her neuroscience degree from Georgetown and got a job with a lab in Chicago. She is making less than half what I make.....and the gap will widen with time. And as far as first year lawyer salaries go I am pulling in a figure slightly below average probably (on the East Coast....varies by region greatly of course).
I sincerely doubt it. One of our very good friends (our maid of honor) just got her neuroscience degree from Georgetown and got a job with a lab in Chicago. She is making less than half what I make.....and the gap will widen with time. And as far as first year lawyer salaries go I am pulling in a figure slightly below average probably (on the East Coast....varies by region greatly of course).
How hot is your sex crazed wife?
  • 2 weeks later...
PodOddsRAC is absolutely correct. The swap-out of 'global warming' to 'climate change' wasn't to reflect an advancement of science. It was a PR motivated tactical change made by people selling a product. Agree with what they're selling, disagree with what they're selling, it doesn't matter. The reason for that change had nothing to do with 'good science' and everything to do with making their case via the airwaves, and preempting counter-arguments that were obviously going to occur. One doesn't have to disagree with the larger concept of global warming to objectively asses the cynical forces that are often in play- but in defending such stuff when it occurs, you're making global warming a very, very easy target to shoot down.
Are you kidding? What product are "they" selling? Who are "they"? Where is this "PR" budget coming from? It must be all those weed-smoking Hobbits from the Shire with their hobbit gold who don't wish to see the planet burned from the outside in.Or wait, MAYBE MAYBE MAYBE THE OPPOSITE IS CLEARLY THE CASE, i.e. THAT COMPANIES WHO SELL FOSSIL FUELS SPEND FUCKING BILLIONS OF DOLLARS (i.e. more than academia or hobbits or 'they' could ever combine to DREAM to spend) ANNUALLY ON ACTUAL PR AND MISINFORMATION CAMPAIGNS IN ORDER TO CONVINCE MENTAL MIDGETS THAT BURNING FOSSIL FUELS TURNS THE UNIVERSE INTO A UTOPIAN COCA-COLA COMMERCIAL AND EVERYTHING IS FINE JUST KEEP BURNING AND CONSUMING AND DRIVING AND BURNING AND DRIVING AND PLEASE BUY ANOTHER SUV AND LET'S NOT WORRY ABOUT ANYTHING BEING SUSTAINABLE OR OVERPOPULATION OR CLEAN AIR OR CLEAN WATER THESE THINGS DON'T MATTER OIL IS BEAUTIFUL AND MAKES THE WORLD BEAUTIFUL YOU CAN ACTUALLY DRINK IT AND IT WILL MAKE YOU SMRT AND STRNG YES THAT'S IT THE LAST GREAT FRONTIER OF BIG OIL DIRECT HUMAN CONSUMPTION RUN DON'T WALK TO YOUR NEAREST PETROLEUM STATION AND DRINK ALL YOU CAN BEFORE IT RUNS OUT OH WAIT IT WILL NEVER RUN OUT TAKE YOUR TIME AND SAVOR EVERY SIP
YOU CAN ACTUALLY DRINK IT AND IT WILL MAKE YOU SMRT AND STRNG YES THAT'S IT THE LAST GREAT FRONTIER OF BIG OIL DIRECT HUMAN CONSUMPTION RUN DON'T WALK TO YOUR NEAREST PETROLEUM STATION AND DRINK ALL YOU CAN BEFORE IT RUNS OUT OH WAIT IT WILL NEVER RUN OUT TAKE YOUR TIME AND SAVOR EVERY SIP
We already eat it and it's delicious2094096539_fe695e8090.jpg
  • 3 weeks later...
http://my.telegraph.co.uk/reasonmclucus/re...ysical-society/The following is a letter to the American Physical Society released to the public by Professor Emiritus of physics Hal Lewis of the University of California at Santa Barbara.
Sent: Friday, 08 October 2010 17:19 Hal LewisFrom: Hal Lewis, University of California, Santa BarbaraTo: Curtis G. Callan, Jr., Princeton University, President of the American Physical Society6 October 2010Dear Curt:When I first joined the American Physical Society sixty-seven years ago it was much smaller, much gentler, and as yet uncorrupted by the money flood (a threat against which Dwight Eisenhower warned a half-century ago).Indeed, the choice of physics as a profession was then a guarantor of a life of poverty and abstinence—it was World War II that changed all that. The prospect of worldly gain drove few physicists. As recently as thirty-five years ago, when I chaired the first APS study of a contentious social/scientific issue, The Reactor Safety Study, though there were zealots aplenty on the outside there was no hint of inordinate pressure on us as physicists. We were therefore able to produce what I believe was and is an honest appraisal of the situation at that time. We were further enabled by the presence of an oversight committee consisting of Pief Panofsky, Vicki Weisskopf, and Hans Bethe, all towering physicists beyond reproach. I was proud of what we did in a charged atmosphere. In the end the oversight committee, in its report to the APS President, noted the complete independence in which we did the job, and predicted that the report would be attacked from both sides. What greater tribute could there be?How different it is now. The giants no longer walk the earth, and the money flood has become the raison d’être of much physics research, the vital sustenance of much more, and it provides the support for untold numbers of professional jobs. For reasons that will soon become clear my former pride at being an APS Fellow all these years has been turned into shame, and I am forced, with no pleasure at all, to offer you my resignation from the Society.It is of course, the global warming scam, with the (literally) trillions of dollars driving it, that has corrupted so many scientists, and has carried APS before it like a rogue wave. It is the greatest and most successful pseudoscientific fraud I have seen in my long life as a physicist. Anyone who has the faintest doubt that this is so should force himself to read the ClimateGate documents, which lay it bare. (Montford’s book organizes the facts very well.) I don’t believe that any real physicist, nay scientist, can read that stuff without revulsion. I would almost make that revulsion a definition of the word scientist.So what has the APS, as an organization, done in the face of this challenge? It has accepted the corruption as the norm, and gone along with it…

Someone please tell me--specifically--where the "(literally) trillions" of dollars are coming from, where they are being spent, who hopes to profit from these supposedly enormous investments in perpetrating the "global warming scam", what their dubious goals are, etc.

Someone please tell me--specifically--where the "(literally) trillions" of dollars are coming from, where they are being spent, who hopes to profit from these supposedly enormous investments in perpetrating the "global warming scam", what their dubious goals are, etc.
What's the point? If you cant see how people stand to profit from this (Algore) then you are truly blind.
What's the point? If you cant see how people stand to profit from this (Algore) then you are truly blind.
More blind than those who are incapable of acknowledging the incontrovertible evidence that energy companies have mounted one of the largest lobbying campaigns in history in an attempt to "reframe" the "debate" on global warming?BUT NO YOU'RE RIGHT IT MUST BE AL GORE'S LIFELONG PASSION OF MAKING MONEY THAT HAS DRIVEN HIM TO A LIFE OF PUBLIC SERVICE DEDICATED TO ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES. CLEARLY HE'S BEEN RAKING SINCE THE 70s WHEN HE FIRST MADE THE ENVIRONMENT A PRIORITY AND SAW CLEAN AIR AND WATER AS HIS CONSTITUENTS' RIGHTS. IT COULDN'T BE THAT HE THINKS THE EARTH IS WORTH SAVING RATHER THAN BURNING: NO THAT CAN'T BE IT; HE'S BEEN TOO INCONSISTENT ON THIS AND WAIT HE FLIES AROUND IN PLANES AND OWNS A HOUSE WHAT A HYPOCRITE SERIOUSLY LET'S JUST KILL HIM AND DRIVE AROUND IN HUMMERS AFTER NO WAIT LET'S DRIVE SEMIs INSTEAD NO BETTER STILL LET'S LOAD SEMIs ONTO CARGO PLANES AND LET THEM RUN AS WE FLY AROUND BURNING PETROLEUM THAT WILL REALLY SHOW THAT RICH FUCKING HYPOCRITE AL GORE WHO'S BOSS AND WHO RUNS AMURKA I JUST WANT TO DRIVE OK? I JUST WANT TO DRIVE AND NOT HAVE NOBIDDY TELL MUH WHAS RIGHT N WHUS WRAWNG THIS IS AMURKA I'M FROM AMURKA WE DO THINGS BIG HUR IF YA'LL DUN LYKE IT YA'LL KIN GIIIIIIIIIT OUT. GOD GAVE US THIS PLANET AND GOD GAVE US OIL AND WE CAN BURN IT AND BLACKEN THE PLANET AND WE WILL BE REWARDED WITH GOD'S RICHES IN THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN
Decaf.
BALLOON GUY: I'm telling you for your own good. When His judgement cometh, your place in the kingdom of Heaven will be determined by your lifetime petroleum consumption.SO SAYS THE GOSPEL OF EXXON
BUT NO YOU'RE RIGHT IT MUST BE AL GORE'S LIFELONG PASSION OF MAKING MONEY THAT HAS DRIVEN HIM TO A LIFE OF PUBLIC SERVICE DEDICATED TO ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES. CLEARLY HE'S BEEN RAKING SINCE THE 70s WHEN HE FIRST MADE THE ENVIRONMENT A PRIORITY AND SAW CLEAN AIR AND WATER AS HIS CONSTITUENTS' RIGHTS. IT COULDN'T BE THAT HE THINKS THE EARTH IS WORTH SAVING RATHER THAN BURNING: NO THAT CAN'T BE IT; HE'S BEEN TOO INCONSISTENT ON THIS AND WAIT HE FLIES AROUND IN PLANES AND OWNS A HOUSE WHAT A HYPOCRITE SERIOUSLY LET'S JUST KILL HIM AND DRIVE AROUND IN HUMMERS AFTER NO WAIT LET'S DRIVE SEMIs INSTEAD NO BETTER STILL LET'S LOAD SEMIs ONTO CARGO PLANES AND LET THEM RUN AS WE FLY AROUND BURNING PETROLEUM THAT WILL REALLY SHOW THAT RICH FUCKING HYPOCRITE AL GORE WHO'S BOSS AND WHO RUNS AMURKA I JUST WANT TO DRIVE OK? I JUST WANT TO DRIVE AND NOT HAVE NOBIDDY TELL MUH WHAS RIGHT N WHUS WRAWNG THIS IS AMURKA I'M FROM AMURKA WE DO THINGS BIG HUR IF YA'LL DUN LYKE IT YA'LL KIN GIIIIIIIIIT OUT. GOD GAVE US THIS PLANET AND GOD GAVE US OIL AND WE CAN BURN IT AND BLACKEN THE PLANET AND WE WILL BE REWARDED WITH GOD'S RICHES IN THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN
You made my point nicely, thanks.
Profitable blindness is the M.O. of the other side, actually.
Well, that's ONE guy!Of course, if you can't see how entire industries stand to profit from refuting global warming, that would make you truly blind-ER.Damn scientists and Al Gore hoarding all the mobney while the execs at EXXON and CHEVRON live off cabbage soup and stale bread.