My Old Poker Group Got Robbed

i just moved to LA but this was my cleveland group for the last 2 yearsMen with assault weapons rob high-stakes poker gameBy Mark Puente, The Plain DealerOctober 27, 2009, 9:00PMplaying-cards.jpgCLEVELAND, Ohio -- Two robbers weilding assault rifles stole more than $11,000 Monday night from a Cleveland poker game, at least the second time this year that heavily armed stickup men have hit a high-stakes card game.The thieves forced seven players to take their pants off in a Lake Avenue apartment near the Lakewood border and doused them with pepper spray before fleeing with the cash and clothing.Poker games, particularly Texas Hold Em, have increased in popularity over the past decade. The rise has been spurred in part by the World Series of Poker, a televised event that pays out millions of dollars.With the increase in popularity has come an increase in stakes. Where neighborhood games used to feature nickels, dimes and quarters, some private games include players bringing thousands of dollars in cash. Criminals have noticed.Seven robbers knocked off a game in a Solon warehouse in April and took $75,000. Last month, police arrested the robbers, who also used assault rifles.A player from Monday night was at the Solon game and couldn’t believe he was once again staring at robbers with more assault rifles. Monday’s game was listed on a Web site dedicated to local poker games, and the man said he visited the host before the game to warn him about security and urge him not to advertise the location of the game.“I thought I learned my lesson,” he said. “I thought, ‘Here we go again.’ It’s been quite the months I’m having.”The host of the game declined to comment.Card games are legal in Ohio as long as the host doesn’t charge a fee or keep a percentage of the payout.The heist is under investigation. Detectives are not aware of other games being crashed by robbers, a Cleveland police spokeswoman said. A Cleveland FBI spokesman said the agency doesn’t investigate poker games unless they have extremely high stakes or are operated by crime syndicates.Monday’s robbery unfolded about 11:20 p.m. A police report and witness accounts gave this description of events:One of the seven players went outside to smoke a cigarette when a robber put a gun to player’s head. The gunman forced the card player to take the robbers to the apartment.Another card player heard a knock and opened the door. The suspects pushed the door open and ordered everyone to get on the ground and remove their pants. They then stuffed all the clothes, wallets and money into two bags.The suspects then marched the seven men into the kitchen and sprayed them with pepper spray. One of the players found the bags of clothes strewn on the Shoreway after police arrived.The men follow a card-game page, the Cleveland Poker Meetup Group, on a Web site called meetup.com. The site hosts social pages for different activities across the country.Another player said the men were scared when the robbers burst through the door. Most of the men knew each other except for two of the players, he added.“Everybody is close knit,” the 34-year-old man said. “We’ve all played together at one time or another. We were stripped down to our underwear.”

what kind of details are they posting about their home game on the website?
i've talked to some people and there were posts but they've all been taken down because of the investigationi sort of think it was due to the host who is a blabbermouth more than the web site but it may spell a death knell for the home games which is sad

You know what I think?I think the guy that supposedly had "a gun put to his head and forced to allow the robber's entry to the apartment" was actually in on the heist. He's probably getting a cut. Think about it...conceivably, he could've told the robbers about the game...and set it up to make it look like he was the innocent victim when in fact he was just trying to get the robbers access to all the money, so that he could get a nice cut of the loot instead of having to win it,,,Just a theory.

You know what I think?I think the guy that supposedly had "a gun put to his head and forced to allow the robber's entry to the apartment" was actually in on the heist. He's probably getting a cut. Think about it...conceivably, he could've told the robbers about the game...and set it up to make it look like he was the innocent victim when in fact he was just trying to get the robbers access to all the money, so that he could get a nice cut of the loot instead of having to win it,,,Just a theory.
That is about as far-fetched as it gets you dumb-ass.It says nothing about "ONLY poker players KNEW how to get inside"Jesus, you are retarded.
That is about as far-fetched as it gets you dumb-ass.It says nothing about "ONLY poker players KNEW how to get inside"Jesus, you are retarded.
ive never been to this guys place but if it was a security door they'd need someone to buzz them in - the question would be how did they know the smoker was in on the gamethis guy significantly is one of the only one's that invites sort of random people to the game usually we know everyone there

Wow, an old game I used to frequent in Wrigleyville got robbed in the EXACT same way it was described in this article, a few months ago. Mind you, my game was a 1/2nl game held about 4 times a week in this dude's apartment. I went there a total of 5 times maybe and then heard it had gotten robbed at gun point. The guy running the game described the robbery just like in the article. One of the players stepped out to smoke a cig, two dudes in ski masks put a gun to his head and then took him back to the apartment where they robbed everyone, and took everyone's phones/ipods and shit. I think they got away with like $1,200 cash.Anyway the game was moved to a new location a couple of weeks later, held in an office building with a lot tighter security.

I was just pointing out that it is a possibility, wtf is your problem man u dont need to be a dickhead for no reason..I just thought it sounded kinda dodgy.And anyway why would a newspaper article have information like that? Is that the kind of information investigators give out to reporters? There is a good chance that maybe they needed some1 to get them in, idk I just thought it was an interesting notion.

I dont see why its necasary to be a dick here, there were so many other responses you coulda given there that would've brought your point across and also not offended me. Unbelievable.

I dont see why its necasary to be a dick here, there were so many other responses you coulda given there that would've brought your point across and also not offended me. Unbelievable.
Cause if anyone is a master of responding in ways that don't offend people repeatedly, it's you, right?
Stop saying stupid shit and people will stop being dicks. I swear to god, every thread I read where you've posted ends in you asking why everyone is being dicks. Do you ever think maybe there's a reason?Just a theory.
Stop saying stupid shit and people will stop being dicks. I swear to god, every thread I read where you've posted ends in you asking why everyone is being dicks. Do you ever think maybe there's a reason?Just a theory.
scott_reeder_american_dick.jpg

Ok my bad next time I'll just do the standard "Oh that sucks" and move on with my life.Thats not stupid shit I was just trying to make some kind of discussion. didnt realise I would get ass raped.

That kind of thing has happend to me before. I used to have a drug dealer who was sorta my "friend". His place got robbed. His had good security but a similar thing happend, a friend of his got attcked outside and forced to give the robbers entry to his house, and his money/drugs. Well in the end it turned out that the guy that was "forced" to give the robber's entry was in on it. So, it just sounded similar to that and I just said, "Wouldnt it be messed up if..."The reason every1 is a dick to me FOR NO REASON is because that's just how it's been here for the last two years. The first year I understand why but the last year has just been lol stupid.

It doesnt even matter what I ****ing say people are always gonna attack me on here. If i say something that can not possibly be attacked I just get ignored. It's pretty standard.

That kind of thing has happend to me before. I used to have a drug dealer who was sorta my "friend". His place got robbed. His had good security but a similar thing happend, a friend of his got attcked outside and forced to give the robbers entry to his house, and his money/drugs. Well in the end it turned out that the guy that was "forced" to give the robber's entry was in on it. So, it just sounded similar to that and I just said, "Wouldnt it be messed up if..."The reason every1 is a dick to me FOR NO REASON is because that's just how it's been here for the last two years. The first year I understand why but the last year has just been lol stupid.
That's why I could never hang in the drug game. Putting down 40s while picking up dimes, and all that jazz. I mean if I couldn't trust my ace to guard my cake and blow, who could I trust :club:
Ok my bad next time I'll just do the standard "Oh that sucks" and move on with my life.Thats not stupid shit I was just trying to make some kind of discussion. didnt realise I would get ass raped.
It doesnt even matter what I ****ing say people are always gonna attack me on here. If i say something that can not possibly be attacked I just get ignored. It's pretty standard.
**** YOU!
This quarter hour of your FCP Life pretty much sums up why you're treated like you are.
any chance you were the friend who gave up the guy to the robbers in return for a piece of the action?