Random Basketball Observations

I think their plan is to get one or two big free agents next off-season with all their cap room. It might be harder to lure that type of player when you bottom out like you're suggesting.

If they are close to making the playoffs, they can sell it as "Kobe missed a bunch of time and just adding you to the mix makes us title favorites." You aren't going to get guys chasing rings (like Melo or Love) by teaming up with a rookie, even one with the hype of Wiggins.

If they knew they weren't bringing Kobe back in 2014, then they probably would just blow it up now.

The funniest part of Carmelo Anthony to the Lakers rumors

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

can't you go five minutes without putting black people down?

Jeff Stotts ‏@RotowireATC Hear me out. Mavs sign Seth Curry, Jason Thompson, & Gerald Green. Then roll out a lineup of Curry, Thompson, Green, Barnes, & Bogut.

have to love JR Smith   J.R. Smith apparently drives a $450,000 armored truck around New York City now    

Melo isn't the player for the post-Kobe era; he's another piece to get what you can out of the end of the Kobe era.

Is NY really a contender, even in the East? They're not beating Miami, Chicago (with a healthy Rose), Indiana, or probably even Brooklyn now. It's not outrageous to think he might chase a ring with Kobe+. Depending on what kind of deal Kobe wants from the Lakers, they could bring in two max guys that off-season. Maybe Kobe/Melo isn't enough, but maybe Kobe/Melo/player 3 is.

I don't think the lure of the Lakers plus playing with a very demanding declining Kobe is going to be that big a draw to top players

The lakers are bleeped.

How long before a Ryan Anderson for Omer asik trade happens. Doesn't that need to happen? Houston no longer needs asik and Anderson fits in perfectly in Houston. Plus the Pellies need defense and rebounding. I don't see how this doesn't happen.

The lakers are bleeped.

How long before a Ryan Anderson for Omer asik trade happens. Doesn't that need to happen? Houston no longer needs asik and Anderson fits in perfectly in Houston. Plus the Pellies need defense and rebounding. I don't see how this doesn't happen.

Anderson is basically the perfect stretch four. Asik and Anthony Davis have a lot of duplicative skills. I wouldn't consider that if I ran the pellies.

i feel like anthony davis is a 4, not a five, and defensively with asik would really be a benefit for them. plus i think davis has the touch to move outside the paint and be more effective. not as stretch as anderson, but i think asik and davis would play well together.

I think Davis and Anderson will play well together and most of the league's centers are really 4s now anyway.

I'm gathering based on multiple NBA conversations that I am much higher on Anderson than most though. If pellies, get a pick too, I think it's fine but I don't love their spacing.

I also am assuming Davis becomes a great defender sooner than later

Asik has that goofy contract

$5,225,000 in 2013/14 and $14,898,938 2014/15

It makes it easy to trade for him this year but that's a big cap hit for the year after.

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 6h

Your NBA luxury-tax champions from the 2012-13 season? Lakers informed tonight that they were officially charged $29,259,739 in '12-13 tax

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 6h

Rest of NBA's 2012-13 tax bills: 2. MIA ($13,346,242), 3. BKN ($12,883,647), 4. NYK ($9,962,406), 5. CHI ($3,932,336), 6. BOS ($1,181,640)

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 5h

Wanna know how new NBA world works? With essentially same payroll as Lakers last season, Nets will owe$70+ mil in tax after 2013-14 season

You read right, my friends. Nets projected, at this early juncture, to owe somewhere between $72M and $77M in taxes after coming season

Translation: Mikhail Prokhorov REALLY wants to win a championship in that original five-year window he laid out. For some reason ...

Marc Stein ‏@ESPNSteinLine 4h

RT @LarryCoon: If Lakers sign Kaman and five more guys at 2-yr vet minimum and don't amnesty anyone, their tax next year will be $24,184,750

It feels like a combination of my birthday, Christmas and the first warm day in the Spring today for some reason.

RaptorsMR ‏@RaptorsMR 2h

Trade w/ @Knicks is done. #Raptors receive Camby, Novak, Richardson, 2016 1st round pick & 2nd round picks in'14 & '17 for Bargnani .

Eric Koreen ‏@ekoreen 2h

Again: The Raptors got rid of a player that they wouldn't have been wrong to amnesty, and saved money and gained three picks in process. Wow

Came here to talk about that column. Just perfect and exactly what I've been saying. The part about Kobe gunning for as many pouts as possible was my favorite. Literally let him shoot every time down. It would be great.

lol:

iz6.gif

Pretty much anyone could be awesome against white 7th graders.