Obama Speech To All Students

As far as the indoctrination lessons that were averted because of outside pressures brought about by Republicans..you're welcome. Protecting your children is just something we do by nature.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are the odds that much of the speech was tamed down and rewritten to be non-political thanks to the controversy surrounding it? 10-1? 100-1?

What are the odds that much of the speech was tamed down and rewritten to be non-political thanks to the controversy surrounding it? 10-1? 100-1?
About 0%. What was tamed? Was he going to say, "Do your homework, turn off the xbox, and abort your grandmother." Honestly, what was the nightmare scenario that people were envisioning here?
And I suggest you read Silent Coup by Colodny and Gettlin so you would realize that John Dean orchestrated the Watergate coverup, lied to congress and blamed everyone else for the actions he started, covered up and then shifted the blame onto Nixon.Might want to be sure about your authors before you believe everything they say.
fwiw, i'm referring to the legal arguments he's making (explicitly, the refutation in appendix C of the woos' justification for torture), not saying the guy was the best man that ever lived. if you actually read the book, maybe 2% of the stuff he says is some sort of anecdotal-whatever coming out of his own life, and the remainder is strongly sourced, legal analysis. although he does briefly argue that nixon was a bit of a twatbag, the primary villains of his narrative are actually newt gingrich and dick cheney.it's fairly important to learn how to judge an author differently from his/her arguments if you want to find the best argument and thus reach the best conclusion. most of the most brilliant people i've met in academia are total assholes, misogynists, and even jews in the real world, but that doesn't mean that they're not brilliant concerning what they talk about in the classroom and in their books.and henry, give me a break. seriously.
Well, here's what all the fuss is about:http://www.whitehouse.gov/MediaResources/P...dSchoolRemarks/Yup, totally justified. Thank you, annoying Republicans, for wasting my time.
This was never the issue.
About 0%. What was tamed? Was he going to say, "Do your homework, turn off the xbox, and abort your grandmother." Honestly, what was the nightmare scenario that people were envisioning here?
The administration already changed the wording of the literature for teachers in response to the controversy; are we really supposed to believe the speech itself wasn't changed, too?And BTW, I'm not one of those people who thinks this was a terrible event, ready to scar children for life. My children are taught to have critical thinking skills, and anyone with critical thinking skills who listens to Obama recognizes that he is 99% hot air and empty suit, and 1% content. So no, I wasn't worried about it. I think it's a waste of taxpayer money, but it is something presidents have done for decades, and it's not something I'd be worried about.
No one’s born being good at things, you become good at things through hard work.
This is a comma splice. They teach that in elementary school. Get it right.Here we were worried about political brainwashing when a real threat lurked.

My kids are going to watch the event at school tomorrow, even though the school gave us the choice via a letter home that we have to turn in tomorrow morning.

My kids are going to watch the event at school tomorrow, even though the school gave us the choice via a letter home that we have to turn in tomorrow morning.
I remember the jew kid who got pulled out of class every time we watched a christmas video.sucks to be that kid. you did the right thing.
This is a comma splice. They teach that in elementary school. Get it right.Here we were worried about political brainwashing when a real threat lurked.
Its only a comma splice when written this way -- wasn't it spoken? If so, then it's a transcription error and should be written with a semicolon.
Its only a comma splice when written this way -- wasn't it spoken? If so, then it's a transcription error and should be written with a semicolon.
He hasn't yet delivered the speech.
This was never the issue.
To be honest, I was never sure what the issue was in the first place. But I'm not too interesting in arguing this too much. I understand a lot of the complaints against Obama. I don't really get this one.I find it hard to believe that the same people who are complaining against Obama would be doing the same if Bush were talking to the school kids. Of course, there would be an equivalent group on the left complaining, but I'd think they were being silly as well (again, there are better reasons to complain against Bush).I'm glad your kids are going to see the speech. They may like it. Many will probably be bored. Many will think it's better than learning math. Whatever.
fwiw, i'm referring to the legal arguments he's making (explicitly, the refutation in appendix C of the woos' justification for torture), not saying the guy was the best man that ever lived. if you actually read the book, maybe 2% of the stuff he says is some sort of anecdotal-whatever coming out of his own life, and the remainder is strongly sourced, legal analysis. although he does briefly argue that nixon was a bit of a twatbag, the primary villains of his narrative are actually newt gingrich and dick cheney.
I understand what you are saying, Dean just tilts me because of what he did to one of our greatest Amercian Presidents.
it's fairly important to learn how to judge an author differently from his/her arguments if you want to find the best argument and thus reach the best conclusion. most of the most brilliant people i've met in academia are total assholes, misogynists, and even jews in the real world, but that doesn't mean that they're not brilliant concerning what they talk about in the classroom and in their books.
And I didn't think vb was that bad when I met him.
Zero?Really?What's more likely;A. A politician decides to do something, floats the idea and reacts to the input he recieves from the trial balloon.B. A politician decides to do the right thing regardles of the polls.If you answered A, you voted for ObamaIf you answered B, you voted for Bush
Students who sat where you sit 20 years ago who founded Google, Twitter and Facebook and changed the way we communicate with each other.So today, I want to ask you, what’s your contribution going to be? What problems are you going to solve? What discoveries will you make? What will a president who comes here in twenty or fifty or one hundred years say about what all of you did for this country? Chairman Maobama
Did the inventors of Google,Twitter & Facebook invent things to make a buck or for the good of the country? Michael Moore has taught us Capitalism is evil...
Zero?Really?What's more likely;A. A politician decides to do something, floats the idea and reacts to the input he recieves from the trial balloon.B. A politician decides to do the right thing regardles of the polls.If you answered A, you voted for ObamaIf you answered B, you voted for Bush
I mean, okay, maybe they changed a few things, but I don't think there was anything completely crazy in the original that they had to remove.But, even so, imagine that there was something potentially controversial that was removed. Isn't that a good thing? Don't we want a President who is willing to correct himself when there's loud opposition? But again, whatevs, there are bigger fish to fry.
Did the inventors of Google,Twitter & Facebook invent things to make a buck or for the good of the country? Michael Moore has taught us Capitalism is evil...
dude, for the love of god, there are 20 other major things you could be harping on that obama is doing that are 20 times worse than this. all you're doing by concentrating on some perceived liberal brainwashing in what is simply a motivational speech to students is making yourself look petty and taking any credence from other present and future issues that are actually bad. please stop.
dude, for the love of god, there are 20 other major things you could be harping on that obama is doing that are 20 times worse than this. all you're doing by concentrating on some perceived liberal brainwashing in what is simply a motivational speech to students is making yourself look petty and taking any credence from other present and future issues that are actually bad. please stop.
Sometimes I yell at my dishwasher too when it doesn't fully clean my plates. But that doesn't seem to have too much effect either.
Sometimes I yell at my dishwasher too when it doesn't fully clean my plates. But that doesn't seem to have too much effect either.
I know, but I have to spend my time doing something. otherwise I'd have to do work.

From Obama's speech this weekend

If you work hard and meet your responsibilities, this country is going to honor our collective responsibility to you: to ensure that you can save and secure your retirement
Now why is it our collective responsibility?
Now why is it our collective responsibility?
Because it benefits everyone if America is an environment where people who work hard and save accordingly have a good chance of retiring securely. That's why we have societies in the first place. To create environments that enable happiness, security, and prosperity.If you think everybody should just go it alone, go live in the jungle.
Because it benefits everyone if America is an environment where people who work hard and save accordingly
His comments say nothing about saving accordingly... Which is what you should do.. moreover just work hard and we (federal govt & taxpayers) will take care of youIt is your personal responsibility to make sure you can retire - not mine and not the federal govt, in fact I could retire alot quicker if you stopped wasting my money in a social security program the will be bankrupt shortly