**official** Environmentalists Do The Dumbest Things Thread

I personally don't care too much whether it was human caused. Well, its an interesting scientific question, but doesn't bear too much on the what we should do part (except that understanding how things works can help decide how best to deal with it I guess). But if it's going to get warm enough that there will be negative consequences for us, we should try to mitigate that either way. I don't refrain from using the air conditioning just because the temperature outside is a natural fluctuation vs. a man-made one.
In the end, this is the question, and what the science is trying to answer, I guess. But "what to do" does not necessarily mean "prevent all change", which seems to be the major theory of the alarmists. You don't spend a million dollars to prevent a thousand dollar problem.
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

well I mean what do you expect? they were made up entirely of fossil fuels!

You spelled Jesus wrong.   #shotsfired

• 4 months later...
Looks like the environuts are losing it
Warming temperatures in polar regions are causing an increasing number of polar bears to collapse from heat exhaustion, local hunters report. Jeremiah Johnson, a local hunter who tracks and kills polar bears "because they are there" has seen three of the behemoths collapse before him in just the last month. "It just isn't sporting to shoot one of these creatures when they are suffering like this", Johnson said as he recounted his attempts to revive a bear he was ready to shoot. Local TV meteorologist Sky McCloud explained, "Average annual temperatures in the area have risen from 20 degrees below zero to 15 below zero in the last 30 years, and these giant creatures simply can not withstand the excess heat."
I don't think the author understand the words excess or heat.....

I've never heard of the Lion Whisperer, however, this is exactly what happened to Grizzly Man.

I think if you are living with lions or bears then your death shouldn't be too much of a surprise.This guy was living with the seals.I bet during the 'Living with Animals we love' awards dinners, he sat at the same table as the people who live with Monarch butterflies.I would hate to be him during 'Testimony Night' in heaven.Sampson: I had to fight the entire Philistine ArmyDavid: I was thrown to the lionsThis guy: I got the crap beat out of me by seals while I sleptEveryone: Wat? HAHAHHHHAHAHAHHHHhaaa

I hate you, because that video shows things that I've only dreamed of.Also, BG just made a wonderful post.
Also, BG just made a wonderful post.
In recognition of his theory (that we should judge all environmentalists by the five who die at the hands of animals), I am going to now judge all gun owners based solely on the gun owners who end up shooting themselves.hahaha, people who own guns are so effing stupid: http://articles.nydailynews.com/2011-08-09...rges-gun-ownersExplaining how he shot himself in the dick with a tiny, pink gun must have been humiliating.

Cane, sometimes the simplest things go over your head.I was talking about BG's heaven conversation.

In recognition of his theory (that we should judge all environmentalists by the five who die at the hands of animals), I am going to now judge all gun owners based solely on the gun owners who end up shooting themselves.hahaha, people who own guns are so effing stupid: http://articles.nydailynews.com/2011-08-09...rges-gun-ownersExplaining how he shot himself in the dick with a tiny, pink gun must have been humiliating.
Not as humiliating as it is for president Obama for getting mocked by Iran and being unsure what to do about it.
This thread is about dumb enviromentalist.You can start a thread about dumb gun owners.

The new pipeline that President Obama shot down will definitely qualify for this thread.My brother works large pipeline projects around the country. He worked on a similar line from the Shale fields to Chicago.I talked to him yesterday and he told me that China will be buying this oil since the US is not wanting it. They will build a pipeline from the shale fields to the west coast and ship that oil to China.So the environment is saved exactly ZERO percent, the same strip mining will happen, a mulit hundred mile pipe line will be laid, and the oil will be burned into the environment ( with much lower restrictions in China )What a stupid thing to do.

The new pipeline that President Obama shot down will definitely qualify for this thread.My brother works large pipeline projects around the country. He worked on a similar line from the Shale fields to Chicago.I talked to him yesterday and he told me that China will be buying this oil since the US is not wanting it. They will build a pipeline from the shale fields to the west coast and ship that oil to China.So the environment is saved exactly ZERO percent, the same strip mining will happen, a mulit hundred mile pipe line will be laid, and the oil will be burned into the environment ( with much lower restrictions in China )What a stupid thing to do.
That wasn't the particular environmental issue, actually. Well, not the main one that prevented it from being built. It probably isn't salient to you, but as a Nebraska it's extremely salient to me. The pipe line was planned to go right over the deepest part of the Ogallala aquifer, which is the largest underground fresh water lake in the world. it provides irrigation water right in the heart of the bread belt, from south dakota, to texas. But the biggest, deepest part of it is in Nebraska, right where the pipeline was planned to cross. There is already a pipe line that goes around the aquifer, but in an attempt to save money the company wanted the new pipeline to be a straight shot from oil fields to the gulf, which would go right over it the aquifer. There was a great amount of debate, if there was a spill, if it would poise a threat to the aquifer. With most environmentalists saying it would, and industry sponsored science saying it posed no threat. That was the issue about the pipeline.I have no issue at all drilling for oil. You want to drill, drill away. I do have an issue running a huge oil pipe over Nebraska's most valuable natural resource. I think it showed a lot of foresight to protect that kind of freshwater resource, which will only become more and more valuable as our nation's population increases and clean freshwater decreases.

Cancelling the pipeline can help prevent abuses like this..On the other hand, experts are predicting $5/gal gas this summer. I know the pipeline wouldn't be done in time to affect this summer's prices, but each year it is delayed is another year of inflated prices.So this one is a tough call. If the only way it can be built is to threaten and steal people's land, then high gas prices just reflects the actual price of gas. Artificially keeping prices low by passing the costs on to a few landowners who happen to live in the wrong place seems a bit immoral.

Cancelling the pipeline can help prevent abuses like this..On the other hand, experts are predicting $5/gal gas this summer. I know the pipeline wouldn't be done in time to affect this summer's prices, but each year it is delayed is another year of inflated prices.So this one is a tough call. If the only way it can be built is to threaten and steal people's land, then high gas prices just reflects the actual price of gas. Artificially keeping prices low by passing the costs on to a few landowners who happen to live in the wrong place seems a bit immoral.
These pipes are buried, grazing lands will be closed for a short time, but they won't have their land access removed for ever. Plus they will have to leave easements. I'm not positive about this, but I do know this isn't like the Alaskan pipe line where the pipes are above ground.And for the record, if I had land they wanted to use, I would be screaming as loud as possible to maximize my pay off.How much can 40 acres in farmland Oklahoma cost?
That wasn't the particular environmental issue, actually. Well, not the main one that prevented it from being built. It probably isn't salient to you, but as a Nebraska it's extremely salient to me. The pipe line was planned to go right over the deepest part of the Ogallala aquifer, which is the largest underground fresh water lake in the world. it provides irrigation water right in the heart of the bread belt, from south dakota, to texas. But the biggest, deepest part of it is in Nebraska, right where the pipeline was planned to cross. There is already a pipe line that goes around the aquifer, but in an attempt to save money the company wanted the new pipeline to be a straight shot from oil fields to the gulf, which would go right over it the aquifer. There was a great amount of debate, if there was a spill, if it would poise a threat to the aquifer. With most environmentalists saying it would, and industry sponsored science saying it posed no threat. That was the issue about the pipeline.I have no issue at all drilling for oil. You want to drill, drill away. I do have an issue running a huge oil pipe over Nebraska's most valuable natural resource. I think it showed a lot of foresight to protect that kind of freshwater resource, which will only become more and more valuable as our nation's population increases and clean freshwater decreases.
You don't have to be a global warming alarmist to want to prevent pollution.If there is any reasonable threat of leakage, I would imagine the Governor can step in and insure it going around.On the other hand...it is Nebraska...come on, its not like its California...
You don't have to be a global warming alarmist to want to prevent pollution.If there is any reasonable threat of leakage, I would imagine the Governor can step in and insure it going around.
I think you're envisioning a small lake or something. At it's deepest it's a quarter of a mile deep, and the over all aquifer is about the size of california. Here, let me give you a visual aid..87dc111006034218-keystone-map-stacks.jpgThe blue line is the existing pipeline that while it does pass over part of the aquifer, it is a shallow and deep portion of it. Here's a topographical map of the aquifer, notice that the deepest part of it is right where the proposed pipeline would cross it2003-1-04-1a.jpgI know you were being glib about Nebraska, but the aquifer provides water for several state's irrigation, not just Nebraska, which is an agricultural concern for the country. and, in general the nation's long term security interests are tied into having abundant clean fresh water.