See I think Andy Richter does nothing for the show. I don't think he's very funny. He does the same thing Max used to do and butts in way too much.
I disagree. As somebody above me said, Andy plays the straight man well. Max is way too awkward to have any sort of discussion with Conan, and Conan is funniest when he's conversing with somebody. Max is also the go-to-guy for the easy, quick gay joke or what have you. I've never actually re-watched old Conan episodes from the good ol' Andy days, but I did used to watch all the time and I distinctly remember that it was just a bit better with Andy vs after Andy left. Basically, the main point is that Conan's best when he's talking to or with somebody, and Max is too weird to be that guy. I just watched the Norm McDonald episode, it was awesome. Norm is amazing, and the craigslist guitar bit with Slash was awesome.It's really surprising how hilarious Norm still is. Surprising because he doesn't seem to get jobs ever, despite obviously wanting them. It's pretty great that Conan had him on as the main guest (and gave him a long time too), since he wasn't advertising a new movie or whatever, just advertising himself.On a somewhat related note, Norm's SNL monologue from awhile back is hands down the best SNL monologue I can remember. This is just the audio, but audio is all you need. It was a year after they fired him from the show. It is hilarious.
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Richter and Max are kind of insignificant to the shows success. I mean it is nice to see them on the show, but it really doesn't matter if they are there or not. It's all about Coco baby.

One of favorite bits is "Conando"About Leno, I will miss Headlines on Monday and hope Conan does more of HIS bit with the "fake" advertisements.

One of favorite bits is "Conando"About Leno, I will miss Headlines on Monday and hope Conan does more of HIS bit with the "fake" advertisements.
Leno will be back in the fall at a new time.
Noches de PassionWhen they edit in the clips, like the guy falling out of the window, it was pretty funnyI think the tabloid moments is pretty funny too something different. Also was very happy when they looked into the future
Bad timing for Conan since the Alaskan hillbillies decided to give Letterman a ton of exposure.
This
Did anyone see the Norm MacDonald interview? First time I've laughed my ass off for almost a whole segment.
Yea Norm is the best. He was on Letterman a month or so ago and was just as hillarious.
Did anyone see the Norm MacDonald interview? First time I've laughed my ass off for almost a whole segment.
The funniest part was Andy Richter calling him out on telling these really, really old jokes as if they were current.
The funniest part was Andy Richter calling him out on telling these really, really old jokes as if they were current.
Isn't that his thing though?
Isn't that his thing though?
I just re-watched the Norm episode, because it was that good. Henry might be talking about the joke Norm told about Andy's $450.05 from prostitution. Andy came back with, "He says he's mature and I think it's because he's telling my grandfather's jokes." The bit Norm did later with the Wynona Rider jokes was also hilarious, but the whole joke was that it was outdated. If that clears anything up.
I just re-watched the Norm episode, because it was that good. Henry might be talking about the joke Norm told about Andy's $450.05 from prostitution. Andy came back with, "He says he's mature and I think it's because he's telling my grandfather's jokes." The bit Norm did later with the Wynona Rider jokes was also hilarious, but the whole joke was that it was outdated. If that clears anything up.
I'm pretty sure the "Andy is gay" jokes were also of the same outdated/unfunny mold, just in a different way. I agree that Andy got a cheap laugh on that one by just pointing it out.
Yeah, that's correct, it was that joke and the one about the Hollywood party.... those are ancient. I knew what punchline was coming 3 seconds into both of those. This segment was almost worth sitting through for Richter's slam at the end.I was amused by the next segment, where he told jokes that were intentionally bad.
Yeah, that's correct, it was that joke and the one about the Hollywood party.... those are ancient. I knew what punchline was coming 3 seconds into both of those. This segment was almost worth sitting through for Richter's slam at the end.I was amused by the next segment, where he told jokes that were intentionally bad.
My point before was... (and I haven't seen this episode).. But I'm pretty sure the first segment was meant to be intentionally bad too. Which makes Andy's joke kind of pointless, and ruins Norm's joke. Aka when Speedz said it was a cheap laugh.Exhibit A: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Gc3QZIMKqA...=PL&index=7

LOL at people totally not getting the Norm segment. I think he knows that the majority of people don't understand him which makes it even more funny.

My point before was... (and I haven't seen this episode).. But I'm pretty sure the first segment was meant to be intentionally bad too. Which makes Andy's joke kind of pointless, and ruins Norm's joke. Aka when Speedz said it was a cheap laugh.Exhibit A: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Gc3QZIMKqA...=PL&index=7
LOL at people totally not getting the Norm segment. I think he knows that the majority of people don't understand him which makes it even more funny.
So his thing is to tell old jokes and/or jokes that are obviously not funny in order to be so bad that it's funny?Uh, that's something dads do to their 6 year olds, not professional comedy. Could there be a lazier form of comedy?Sorry to derail the thread, I think Conan is funny. Did you see him on Inside the Actor's Studio? He was hilarious.
So his thing is to tell old jokes and/or jokes that are obviously not funny in order to be so bad that it's funny?Uh, that's something dads do to their 6 year olds, not professional comedy. Could there be a lazier form of comedy?Sorry to derail the thread, I think Conan is funny. Did you see him on Inside the Actor's Studio? He was hilarious.
I think it is the way he delivers his jokes is what makes it funny. When the crowd has a WTF moment (after almost every joke), he just pauses and looks at everyone. I think it is funny as hell, but I guess he is one of those guys that you either like or don't like.
Is your name Don Ohlmeyer?
Is your name Don Ohlmeyer?
Did you (and everybody else) watch the youtube link of Norm that I posted last page? It's a direct attack at the NBC execs who fired him and then invited him to host the same show they had just fired him from. If comedy can ever be considered brilliant, then Norm's monologue is goddam genius.This is also pretty great:
Yeah, I agree with this.And TW I went back and listened to the link of NM on SNL. Much funnier than his newer unfunny-old-joke schtick.
Did you (and everybody else) watch the youtube link of Norm that I posted last page? It's a direct attack at the NBC execs who fired him and then invited him to host the same show they had just fired him from. If comedy can ever be considered brilliant, then Norm's monologue is goddam genius.
Good stuff. If i remember Norm was replaced by Colin Quinn who was terrible at that job. i have heard Colin on Stern and a few other places and think he is pretty good but he was terrible at weekend update. I think Norm needs to do a HBO sitcom for him to be really funny on tv. Althought they did slip "blumpkin" by the censors at ABC on Norm.