Fantasy Premiership Player Draft

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mr paddy is walking it.. ffs!!I knew I should have picked Makelele, I switched at the last minute. The board are not happy with me, they're threatening to revoke my contract.

What we have to remember is that a bunch of these guys aren't going back 10-15 years to look at a complete history of EPL accomplishments. That and the fact that many are biased towards the Big 4 teams will skew this. Are they looking at this in context or going with personal preferences? It's so subjective.Bottom line is that we all have incredibly strong teams and only a season of simulations would give us a true picture of what each team can accomplish. I mean, I have a GK who has 141 clean sheets and two strikers who have comined for 400 goals, yet no one...NO ONE has picked my team and the only comment so far is that Toure should be at RB instead of Campbell.Hugely subjective.

Yeah, I had the same idea. Will I create a thread on another soccer forum also?
Yeah, do that if you want, it's good to get opinions. That forum is pretty good... popular and basically unbiased, which is why I fancied getting some opinion.I was going to leave contacting pro sports writers etc, until we've finished full squads/line ups/tactics etc.
What we have to remember is that a bunch of these guys aren't going back 10-15 years to look at a complete history of EPL accomplishments. That and the fact that many are biased towards the Big 4 teams will skew this. Are they looking at this in context or going with personal preferences? It's so subjective.Bottom line is that we all have incredibly strong teams and only a season of simulations would give us a true picture of what each team can accomplish. I mean, I have a GK who has 141 clean sheets and two strikers who have comined for 400 goals, yet no one...NO ONE has picked my team and the only comment so far is that Toure should be at RB instead of Campbell.Hugely subjective.
I think quite a few of those guys WILL be looking back at the complete picture, but yeah there will always be those who don't look at everything.For example, Michael Owen... many of those guys will look at that and think 'oh, Owen is shit for Newcastle right now and he's always injured'. This is unavoidable (and unfair to you), because the guy is an absolutely great striker, one of the all time PL greats, but I guarantee he'll just get ignored by a lot of people (not me, I'm just saying what OTHERS will be thinking).Also, Barry and McAllister not being as decorated as others in terms of medals may influence things.

1 vote, at least one of them sees sense!This is my opinion on individual positions, but I have included CBs, CMs and CFs as partnerships for fairness. Flame on gents!GK: Schmeichel>Cech>Given>Seaman>Freidel>VDS>HedmanRB: Petrescu>Dixon>Neville>Carragher>Babbel>Finnan>ToureLB: Irwin>Cole>Evra>Pearce>Le Saux>Clichy>WinterburnCBs: Stam/Vidic>Desailly/Gallas>Pallister/Ferdinand>Campbell/Southgate>Adams/LeBouef>Terry/Hendry>Radebe/KeownRW: Ronaldo>Pires>Beckham>Ljungberg>Kanchelskis>Macca>Zola (purely because he's not a RW James, don't get mad)LW: Giggs>Ginola>Overmars>Robben>Duff>Kewell>McAllisterCMs: Vieira/Lampard>Scholes/Essien>Ince/Gerrard>Fabregas/Makelele>Keane/Le Tissier>Alonso/Hamman>Silva/BarryCFs: Cantona/Torres>Bergkamp/Van Nistelrooy>Henry/Sheringham>Owen/Shearer>Hughes/Cole>Rooney/Wright>Fowler/KlinsmannObviously a lot of these are very close and interchangable. Basically all this post does is re-inforce that all the teams are pretty close together.

mr paddy is walking it.. ffs!!I knew I should have picked Makelele, I switched at the last minute. The board are not happy with me, they're threatening to revoke my contract.
Just saw that my team had the same ammount of votes as the other teams combined, woo hoo.
Just saw that my team had the same ammount of votes as the other teams combined, woo hoo.
Did Jam-Fly not tell you? You're banned, son.Something to do with the worst haircut in the history of English football and Colin Hendry... hey, I don't make the rules!
Did Jam-Fly not tell you? You're banned, son.Something to do with the worst haircut in the history of English football and Colin Hendry... hey, I don't make the rules!
I know. I don't know how they can be overlooking Hendry. The guy was awful. The reason he made "Braveheart" tackles is because he was always out of bloody position!Anyway, they're all obviously Ronaldo fan-boys and thats why you're getting the votes. I'm not bitter though. No, not at all...

Just out of interest, if there was any player you could swap from any of the other teams to your own who would it be?For me I would swap Kewell with Giggs in a heart beat.

Just out of interest, if there was any player you could swap from any of the other teams to your own who would it be?For me I would swap Kewell with Giggs in a heart beat.
Macca for Ronaldo/Beckham/Pires.

I'd swap Alonso for Scholes.And LJB, I listed Zola as RW in that forum, simply because it was easier for me to have consistency in all the formations, for them to view easily, that's all... I wasn't getting into intricacies with them.I haven't done my tactics/formation/stats etc yet... but I'll give you a sneaky peek at what I've decided as my formation, based upon my team selection.Think... top Spanish sides, top French sides... and Brazil!LJB, I bring you, the 4-2-3-1untitled-25.jpgSo, I'll have Alonso/Hamann in the DM positions, Cantona in the OM, Giggs and Zola to the left and right (both working off Cantona, and even interchanging.. you know how adaptable they both are), and Torres up front. How does this sound?Yeah, you like it don't you! You cheeky monkey, you!

I like that formation a lot, James. I could apply it to my team as well:Shearer up front, Owen in the middle, Becks and McAllister off on the wings, Silva and Barry in the middle. One of the reasons I choose Toure (who is getting underrated, imo), is that he can play back, support the DM's, switch off with Barry or even move up and lay some deep balls in for the forwards. If he really gets involved, I still have Barry, who can act as a 4th defender (4-1-4-1?).Most of my players may be "old school", but I think some positional/formation magic, a la Wenger, could really add some creativity and apply pressure on the opponent.As for swapping, I'll admit to drooling over Scholes, with McAllister being the most obvious choice (to me) to drop, but McA is also being heavily underrated by people, also. Everywhere I read up on him, they always mention set piece and playmaking quality. Not a 1st tier player, but certainly a quality player and a Scot, to boot!Sorry, one more thing: Team 4 getting so many votes?!?! Friedel, Hendry and Kewell are a gaping trio of weaksauce, imo ;-)

1 vote, at least one of them sees sense!This is my opinion on individual positions, but I have included CBs, CMs and CFs as partnerships for fairness. Flame on gents!GK: Schmeichel>Given>Freidel>Seaman>Cech>VDS>Hedman Moved Cech from 2nd best to 5th best. Switched Seaman and FriedalRB: Petrescu>Dixon>Neville>Carragher>Finnan>Babbel>Toure Switched Finnan and BabbelLB: Irwin>Cole>Evra>Pearce>Le Saux>Clichy>WinterburnCBs: Stam/Vidic>Desailly/Gallas>Pallister/Ferdinand>Campbell/Southgate>Adams/LeBouef>Terry/Hendry>Radebe/KeownRW: Ronaldo>Pires>Beckham>Ljungberg>Kanchelskis>Macca>Zola (purely because he's not a RW James, don't get mad)LW: Giggs>Ginola>Overmars>Robben>Duff>Kewell>McAllisterCMs: Vieira/Lampard>Keane/Le Tissier>Scholes/Essien>Ince/Gerrard>Fabregas/Makelele>Silva/Barry>Alonso/Hamman Move Keane/Le Tiss from 5th to 2nd. Switched Silva/Barry with Alonso/HamannCFs: Bergkamp/Van Nistelrooy>Henry/Sheringham>Cantona/Torres>Owen/Shearer>Hughes/Cole>Rooney/Wright>Fowler/Klinsmann Moved Cantona/Torres from 1st to 3rdObviously a lot of these are very close and interchangable. Basically all this post does is re-inforce that all the teams are pretty close together.
Personally I don't rate Cech that high all-time. I mean, for two/three seasons, he was the best keeper in the world, but since then he has been very suspect. Given, Friedel and Seaman have been super solid their whole careers.I rate Finnan higher than BabbelKeane and Le Tissier were both awesome players. Vieira and Lampard are still the best duo imo. Essien/Scholes and Ince/Gerrard is very close, but I'd just rate Essien/Scholes a bit higher, but it's super close. Silva/Barry and Hamann/Alonso is really close, but Barry just gives that little bit extra imo.Don't think Cantona and Torres would work too well together. Both are great individual players, but I just don't see them working well. Torres prefers to run onto balls and Cantona is a more ball at the feet kinda forward.Just my .02, obviously everyone will have their own opinions :club:

the problem when rating teams is that it is always easier to rate a guy who has played his whole career than a guy who has played just a few seasons in the prem. i mean who would have thought fowler and owen would be where they are today at the age of 30/32 when they were 23/24. who's to say rooney/ronaldo/torres/fabregas wont have a serious injury and end up going down the similar route - i'm not implying or wishing for that to happen but when owen was 23 he looked to be the guy who would break all sorts of goal scoring records and be a player for years and years. of course we know what happened to him and can judge his career accordingly. we dont know what will happen to these younger guys so can only judge them on what they have done to date, which has been extremely impressive. i think thats why the teams with these guys in are getting rated better than the other teams thus far.

I'd swap Alonso for Scholes.And LJB, I listed Zola as RW in that forum, simply because it was easier for me to have consistency in all the formations, for them to view easily, that's all... I wasn't getting into intricacies with them.Think... top Spanish sides, top French sides... and Brazil!LJB, I bring you, the 4-2-3-1
Yeh I figured as much. But needed to keep everything the same for my ranking system. And thanks for the 4-2-3-1. My tiny brain could never comprehend that without a diagram! You think I've never played Champ Man before???
Personally I don't rate Cech that high all-time. I mean, for two/three seasons, he was the best keeper in the world, but since then he has been very suspect.
Huh. How many guys can claim that? That should put them above guys like Given and Seaman and Friedel who have NEVER been rated as the best keeper in the world.Oh, but thank God CL performances don't count - Cech was awful tonight!
Given, Friedel and Seaman have been super solid their whole careers.
And have the same number of EPL medals between them as Cech.

I have an idea... I have an idea!As one of our subs, we're allowed to bring in one 'foreign signing', who has played in any European team since 1992!What do you say??

btw, FWIW, not taking my team into account, I feel team 4 and team 6 are the strongest. Team 5 is being waaay a tad bit over rated imo. I don't see the team working well together. There is no right winger, and if you play all three in the center, then Giggs is not being used to his potential (he is not half the player thru the center as he is on the left-wing). Also, the full-backs and keeper leave some to be desired.between team 4 and 6, I think team 4s strike partnership just puts them ahead. so, imo, team 4 is the best (not taking my team into account of course :club: )

As for swapping, I'll admit to drooling over Scholes, with McAllister being the most obvious choice (to me) to drop, but McA is also being heavily underrated by people, also. Everywhere I read up on him, they always mention set piece and playmaking quality. Not a 1st tier player, but certainly a quality player and a Scot, to boot!
Gary Mac was a great player. But ideally he'd be a centre midfielder not on the left.

Daaaang...no love for Shearer?!?! Here's a guy who scores every 1.7 matches for (generally) SLOP TEAMS! Almost singlehandedly led Blackburn to the title and then languished in Newcastle for a decade. Three 30 goal seasons IN A ROW and another 4 scoring 20 or better. Youngest player (at the time) to score a hat trick. A total of 422 goals for club and country...The guy was a freakin' monster!After he left Blackburn (4th, 2dn, 1st and 7th while he was there), they fell to 13th. And at Newcastle, I don't know what happened there, but they went from a top 6 team to the middle of the pack, probably due to a number of factors, like injuries, poor management and ineffectual signings.LJB said "Gary Mac was a great player. But ideally he'd be a centre midfielder not on the left. "This is where my lack of familiarity for EPL is hurting...I watch and learn. Thanks for the tip!