Fantasy Premiership Player Draft

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i really hope we can champ man these, james is definitely going for the Barca/Newcastle circa Keegan style 'you score 3 we'll score 4' style
Oh definately. But with the team he's putting together that looks like a good tactic.
Oh definately. But with the team he's putting together that looks like a good tactic.
we all know what happened to the magpies that year, remains to be see what happens to barca in the champs league this year though. interesting stat i heard this weekend: barca and notts forest have won the european cup the same number of times - i find that astounding given their current standings.
we all know what happened to the magpies that year, remains to be see what happens to barca in the champs league this year though. interesting stat i heard this weekend: barca and notts forest have won the european cup the same number of times - i find that astounding given their current standings.
fine, make me post it :club:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW8p8xppxwAI have to say, I don't get the seaman pick, just seems odd
fine, make me post it :club:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nW8p8xppxwAI have to say, I don't get the seaman pick, just seems odd
My thoughts too. Considering my Cech pick was questioned. Really though, how many world-class goalkeepers has the premiership seen? After Schmeichel there is a pretty big drop off, and Seaman isn't even first after the drop.
I have to say, I don't get the seaman pick, just seems odd
I like it... I think it's crucial to pick a quality goalkeeper at the earliest opportunity, and I'll be looking to get one soon. Hopefully they'll still be one of the names I'm thinking of still available when I get around to doing so in the next round.
I like it... I think it's crucial to pick a quality goalkeeper at the earliest opportunity, and I'll be looking to get one soon. Hopefully they'll still be one of the names I'm thinking of still available when I get around to doing so in the next round.
I love poker forums :club:

With regards to goalkeepers, I have about 5/6 keepers I think are head and shoulders above the rest. And within those 6, there is one keeper who is even on a higher level to the others, that's Schmeichel obviously. I would prob rate Seaman 3rd or 4th. The only problem I have with Cech is he has not been as convincing the last 2 years or so (since his skull injury). If it's the Cech specifically from 2004/2005/2006 then he is easily the second best keeper in the Premiership, and possibly even pushing Schmeichel for his place as the number one No.1. I think Cech has been at his best this season since the head injury. The head injury really affected his bravery (leading with his hands as opposed to his feet was something he lacked to do following the injury imo) and this season I have def seen an improvement in his willingness to challenge with his upperbody.Also, most keepers have their whole career to judge them on. Any keepers I'd consider for this draft are either retired or have played about 10 seasons in the EPL. Cech still has only played 5 seasons and has a big future ahead of him. It is only at the end will we be able to accurately compare him to other keepers who have had a full career.If I had to choose Cech or Seaman btw, I'd choose Cech :ts Partly because I don't really like Seaman, too English :club:

Loving the Seaman discussion lol...I guess it warrants admitting I'm learning on the fly here. I've always been a footie fan, but never to the point of keeping track of a league game by game, so I have a ream of info I have to assimilate about the Premiership.Nonetheless, I lean far more towards getting a rock solid top class goalie early. While I might have picked someone else, Seaman just stood out to me. I'm using a variety of info and trying to make the best selections based on overall comparisons, so some of my picks will seem a little odd, but I guarantee you my team will perform.I guess people aren't mentioning who they would have picked for goalie (Cech and Schmiechel were gone already) over Seaman because they want to conceal their intel :-), but I'll be curious to see who everyone ends up with...More surprises to come, I'm sure...

More surprises to come, I'm sure...
I'm sure, especially after all the biggest names get picked.When I was at Uni a group of us used to play the Fantasy Football on BBC, we had our own league. Along with the 'stars', there was some great picks to be had from the lower teams. In fact there's a few stand out names I still have in mind that were some of my highest point scoring players and who always kept me right at the top, consistently scoring more points than a lot of the superstars.I think that's the case in real life too though, without mentioning names or teams, some of the most successful teams have those unsung players who get their heads down, stay out of the limelight but play an essential role, whilst letting others take a lot of the plaudits.
I'm sure, especially after all the biggest names get picked.When I was at Uni a group of us used to play the Fantasy Football on BBC, we had our own league. Along with the 'stars', there was some great picks to be had from the lower teams. In fact there's a few stand out names I still have in mind that were some of my highest point scoring players and who always kept me right at the top, consistently scoring more points than a lot of the superstars.I think that's the case in real life too though, without mentioning names or teams, some of the most successful teams have those unsung players who get their heads down, stay out of the limelight but play an essential role, whilst letting others take a lot of the plaudits.
You couldn't be more correct, sir. I used to play in a fantasy baseball league (with salary cap and an auction at the beginning of the season) and it was so often the unknown players you bought for $1-3 that made the difference, rather than the superstars everyone wanted and overbid on. A John Kruk for $4 could be more valuable than a Barry Bonds for $45 in certan situations.
If we go 7 deep on subs, then it'll get interesting as there are only 7 of us drafting, so we probably won't have to be too creative when picking a starting 11damn you paddy picking bergkamp, that's where I wanted to go with my pick. So I went with him strike mate instead

Bergkamp is a good pick, I'm surprised it took until the third round for him to be chosen. If I didn't have Eric, I'd have picked him... but I don't think they'd work in the same team, playing essentially the same creative forward role.I never rated Ian Wright very highly, sorry KDawg!

If we go 7 deep on subs, then it'll get interesting as there are only 7 of us drafting, so we probably won't have to be too creative when picking a starting 11damn you paddy picking bergkamp, that's where I wanted to go with my pick. So I went with him strike mate instead
lolIt was 50/50 whether to pick him or not but the 2 goal of the season efforts swung it for me. The Newcastle goal especially is one of my favourites of all time.
Loving the Seaman discussion lol...I guess it warrants admitting I'm learning on the fly here. I've always been a footie fan, but never to the point of keeping track of a league game by game, so I have a ream of info I have to assimilate about the Premiership.Nonetheless, I lean far more towards getting a rock solid top class goalie early. While I might have picked someone else, Seaman just stood out to me. I'm using a variety of info and trying to make the best selections based on overall comparisons, so some of my picks will seem a little odd, but I guarantee you my team will perform.I guess people aren't mentioning who they would have picked for goalie (Cech and Schmiechel were gone already) over Seaman because they want to conceal their intel :-), but I'll be curious to see who everyone ends up with...More surprises to come, I'm sure...
lol, yeah, obviously my argument would have worked better if I could mention some names specifically, but I didn't want to give anything away!Dennis Bergkamp is a top pick, easily one of the best players to play in the league.
lol, yeah, obviously my argument would have worked better if I could mention some names specifically, but I didn't want to give anything away!Dennis Bergkamp is a top pick, easily one of the best players to play in the league.
No question. The guy was a force at every level.I'm looking forward to discussing my R3 and R4 picks :-)

I've had a drink with your last pick (Dennis Irwin) in the bar at Old Trafford... he's about as down to earth as you can get, very nice guy. Bryan Robson, and a couple of other ex-United players were there too.edit: and damn you, I was possibly picking Becks next round, you've taken away an option. I thought everyone was under-rating him because of his 'circus'. For Man Utd, he was always brilliant.

I've had a drink with your last pick (Dennis Irwin) in the bar at Old Trafford... he's about as down to earth as you can get, very nice guy. Bryan Robson, and a couple of other ex-United players were there too.edit: and damn you, I was possibly picking Becks next round, you've taken away an option. I thought everyone was under-rating him because of his 'circus'. For Man Utd, he was always brilliant.
He's probably one of the best set-piece guys in any league and I'm very happy to have him feeding Shearer.Nice anecdote about Irwin!

my two cents on goalies - schmeichel obv head and shoulders above all the others. seaman/given/cech then on the next level - probably in that order too in my opinion given their respective achievements and performances in the premiership to date. i think theres 3 candidates left that stand out then you are struggling for real class.ian wright is a legend too imo - for his goalscoring ability, not his personality the less said about that the better lol

To echo James D, I always liked Dennis Irwin as a player but i'm shocked he went so early. That being said I don't think there are too many World Class players left.

I'm so gutted you're all picking the best goalkeepers.Personally, I think you should all pick reserve goalkeepers as early as possible too, otherwise there won't be any left.

I'm so gutted you're all picking the best goalkeepers.Personally, I think you should all pick reserve goalkeepers as early as possible too, otherwise there won't be any left.
Jedi mind-tricks ftw!