2009 Offseason Thread

you'd like baseball.
Oddly enough i did get into baseball during the whole McGwire, Sosa home run chase in the late 90's. Back to NFL. I really don't think Bill B would get into anything remotely dodgy with Pioli after the whole spygate affair. I think the NFL would come down on him like a ton of bricks if it turned out he undervalued 2 players just to help our a friend at another team. As for the draft I have no idea who the Pats are going to pick, I haven't followed College Football for years. Although I hear that Ryan Leaf is a great (sic) prospect.
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It probably doesn't mean anything but there's a poll up on Patriots.com asking if the Patriots should sign T.O.Can you imagine an offense with Randy Moss, T.O. and Welker at receiver, Lawrence Maroney and Fred Taylor at RB, and Tom Brady quarterbacking them all?The Patriots could cut their punter.

It probably doesn't mean anything but there's a poll up on Patriots.com asking if the Patriots should sign T.O.Can you imagine an offense with Randy Moss, T.O. and Welker at receiver, Lawrence Maroney and Fred Taylor at RB, and Tom Brady quarterbacking them all?The Patriots could cut their punter.
LOL. It's a good things Patriots fans dont run the team. T.O. could never coexist with Moss and Welker eating up so many balls. Did none of you see what he did in Dallas? Signing TO is guaranteeing your punter more work....not to mention making Tom Brady's life 3 times harder.Bill would never do this in a billion years though so the Pats are safe.
LOL. It's a good things Patriots fans dont run the team. T.O. could never coexist with Moss and Welker eating up so many balls. Did none of you see what he did in Dallas? Signing TO is guaranteeing your punter more work....not to mention making Tom Brady's life 3 times harder.Bill would never do this in a billion years though so the Pats are safe.
Yeah and Randy Moss will be a disaster in New England. Corey Dillion...there's another cancer that will destroy the team from within. If there's any team...any coach...any organization that can put him in his place it's New England. BB will have him on the first bus out of town at the first sign of any retarded drama. I'm not saying its going to happen though. I would have never dared to speak about the possibility out loud if the poll hadn't been put up on the official Patriots website.However, I will agree that the majority of the fans are wrong. In the poll 58% are saying they don't want TO.
Yeah and Randy Moss will be a disaster in New England. Corey Dillion...there's another cancer that will destroy the team from within. If there's any team...any coach...any organization that can put him in his place it's New England. BB will have him on the first bus out of town at the first sign of any retarded drama. I'm not saying its going to happen though. I would have never dared to speak about the possibility out loud if the poll hadn't been put up on the official Patriots website.However, I will agree that the majority of the fans are wrong. In the poll 58% are saying they don't want TO.
I had Moss as a great move. (I had him in my FCP fantasy league that year.....welker too.....and almost won the league just with those two guys.) People who did not like that move dont understand Moss. He will only play hard for a winning team. He never bitches about touches. If there is any team that would NEVER touch TO it is the Pats.58% of Pats fans are being wise. Moss and Dillon were not team killers. TO is a team killer and a QB killer. Tony Romo will have a big year. No more worrying about forcing 10 balls a game to TO.

I may be mad but I think TO would be a GREAT signing for the Patriots. I wouldn't have said so a few years ago but watching how Randy Moss has been trasnformed into the model team player the last few years make me think the Patriots could make TO a team player. There would have to be strict conditions though. No complaining when he doesn't get the ball 20 times a game and no crying in press conferences when Tom Brady gets ripped by the media.

I may be mad but I think TO would be a GREAT signing for the Patriots. I wouldn't have said so a few years ago but watching how Randy Moss has been trasnformed into the model team player the last few years make me think the Patriots could make TO a team player. There would have to be strict conditions though. No complaining when he doesn't get the ball 20 times a game and no crying in press conferences when Tom Brady gets ripped by the media.
They are not the same, I promise you. Moss is a sometimes malcontent who stops giving effort if the team is constantly losing.....never a problem with New England these days.Moss never publicly berated his QB (TO has done so at EVERY stop in his NFL career). You just cant bash your QB in the press. And TO has played with some really good QBs too......not the dregs of the NFL. Moss never complains about touches.....TO always does. If TO was not happy with Jason Witten taking his targets, how is he going to be happy with Moss AND Welker taking his targets?It's a terrible, terrible idea and completely unnecessary. The Patriots went 16-0/18-1 with the team they have now (minus Vrabel sure but plus Jerod Mayo). why **** with that? The Patriots can completely retool their secondary AND add depth to their O-Line and front seven with the 4 top 64 picks they have in the draft. They dont need TO they already pass the ball with ease.Fred Taylor was a good signing.

Yes! The Patriots signed Leigh Bodden. This makes me so happy. Signing Bodden and Springs is a very nice upgrade in the secondary for New England. Springs, Bodden, Hobbs, Wilhite, and Wheately is a pretty good group of corners, and they've turned a weakness into a strength.

Yes! The Patriots signed Leigh Bodden. This makes me so happy. Signing Bodden and Springs is a very nice upgrade in the secondary for New England. Springs, Bodden, Hobbs, Wilhite, and Wheately is a pretty good group of corners, and they've turned a weakness into a strength.
Now they need a decent OLB and we're set on D.
Donte Stallworth killed a man today....http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3980182
That's pretty sad.I've seen people jumping all over him already on football boards, but until there's proof that he was doing anything wrong I'll refrain from judging him in any ill manor regarding this. This is something that could happen to anybody. Its just very unfortunate. I feel bad for the victim but I also feel bad for Donte. It must be a horrible feeling. If it's determined that he was drunk or on anything else then it's a different story.

Looks like he is being charged,http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-s...o&type=lgnsMiami police have indicated that Cleveland Browns wide receiver Donte’ Stallworth is expected to be charged as a result of the driving accident that killed a pedestrian early Saturday morning, two sources with knowledge of the investigation said. Pending the outcome of the investigation, which includes results of a blood test for drugs or alcohol, the sources said driving under the influence, vehicular manslaughter and reckless driving were among the possible charges. “The police seem pretty confident that they’re going to charge him,” a source with the NFL said. “ … Even if he [is] clean, I think the police feel he’s going to be charged with something, regardless.”A detective source was also told that the police anticipated charging Stallworth, who was reportedly cooperative with police and distraught over Reyes’ death.“I think it looks like to the police that Stallworth wasn’t being careful, at the very least,” the second source said.That last sentence doesn't bode well for Dante.

Good thing I got that Cutler jersey for ChristmasUgh he is being such a whiny little bitch. I forsee Jeff Garcia finding a roster spot here in CowTown. :club:
please. this guy made the pro bowl last year. and they had the 2nd ranked offense in the NFL. so what do they do? they fire the o-coordinator (a close confidant of Cutler) and then try to trade for Cassel a guy who had ONE GOOD YEAR THROWING TO RANDY MOSS AND WES WELKER. McDaniels is an idiot....you dont piss off your 25 year old pro-bowl QB.Sure, Cutler is a stubborn ass. But this is the pros.....the players have some power. People ragging on Cutler for his 17-20 record are dumb, too. Manning was 3-13 his first year. It worked out. Anyone with eyes can tell Cutler has a long, great career ahead of him. Broncos never should have fired Shanahan.....now it is all falling apart.The dolphins should offer Chad Henne and a 2nd for Cutler. Cant hurt.

I would like to see Detroit get Cutler. It's been talked about for weeks and after todays report it's been pretty much all they have been talking about. Sadly all the Lions have is picks and if they can figure out what Denver wants maybe they can work out a 3 team trade. I would rather see the Lions give up the 1st pick if for Cutler if they plan to take Stafford. Save money as you will have to pay Stafford an kings ransom and you have a proven QB.

I would like to see Detroit get Cutler. It's been talked about for weeks and after todays report it's been pretty much all they have been talking about. Sadly all the Lions have is picks and if they can figure out what Denver wants maybe they can work out a 3 team trade. I would rather see the Lions give up the 1st pick if for Cutler if they plan to take Stafford. Save money as you will have to pay Stafford an kings ransom and you have a proven QB.
I would rather have Cutler then Stafford and his massive contract. If Detroit can convince the Broncos to do that, that would be a huge coup. No one really wants top 5 picks anymore though because of the cost. And stafford is NOT a cant miss prospect.

There's a local sports talk guy here in KC that has an interesting view on the Cutler thing. He seems to think that the Bill Parcells tree of coaches (McDaniels, Belicheck, Haley, Sparano) like to make a statement to the team by having a "run-in" with a current player of the team they are taking over. I don't remember if Belicheck did anything like that when he took over the Pats, but Sparano-Jason Taylor, McDaniels-Cutler, and Haley-Brian Waters (big story here locally, not sure if it got national run or not) are the examples. His theory is that it is like a prison yard mentality...you know, fight the biggest dude on the yard the first day so no one will mess with you after that-type of thing.What do you think, and can anyone remember other instances like this?

There's a local sports talk guy here in KC that has an interesting view on the Cutler thing. He seems to think that the Bill Parcells tree of coaches (McDaniels, Belicheck, Haley, Sparano) like to make a statement to the team by having a "run-in" with a current player of the team they are taking over. I don't remember if Belicheck did anything like that when he took over the Pats, but Sparano-Jason Taylor, McDaniels-Cutler, and Haley-Brian Waters (big story here locally, not sure if it got national run or not) are the examples. His theory is that it is like a prison yard mentality...you know, fight the biggest dude on the yard the first day so no one will mess with you after that-type of thing.What do you think, and can anyone remember other instances like this?
Drew BledsoeI dunno if this Cutler thing is the same though, as it seems pretty stupid. Quarterbacks like him aren't easy to come by.
Drew BledsoeI dunno if this Cutler thing is the same though, as it seems pretty stupid. Quarterbacks like him aren't easy to come by.
I knew you would know. Also, I am pretty sure Parcells did something similar with a player in Dallas when he took over but I can't think of who it was.
drew bledsoe was just an injury casualty. he and belicheck were fine til Bledsoe got injured and everyone found out how good Brady was.lawyer milloy was closer to this kind of situation.