What Are Your Day Jobs?

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I run a slate and limestone distribution business. Yawn. We import a lot of glass tile and other stone products as well as slabs for our granite shop. We are pretty diverse so we hope we will weather the storm.

senior at Carthage College, double majoring in business admin and marketing and am looking for a job, HIRE ME!
i mean this as genuine advice and not an insult, but those are viewed as relatively worthless majors in the business world. ad firms are laying the few people they hire off left and right, and unless you mean something like hospital or hotel specific management, no one is hiring people right out of college to manage anything without a familiarity of the skillset of the people you are going to manage. If you can stay on a semester or two and get at the very least a minor in something like finance, MIS, accounting, operations management, HR etc. you will be significantly more marketable.this is a conversation i have every so often with a friend in corporate recruiting for a pretty large corporation. companies are looking for people with specific skillsets that they can then later teach to run things. I went to school with plenty of guys with the same type of majors you have with very few job prospects and it hurts me to see so many people take this path. best of luck either way sir.
Iowa State UniversityAccounting/FinanceDo you ever go to Meskwaki to play? I went to the Isle once with some friends but only played drunk blackjack, although the card room there looked to be pretty full, surprisingly. Especially since I recall it being a monday night.
I'm only 20, so the Meskwaki is the only place I can play, which sucks cuz the Isle is so close to here. Me and a buddy from up here are gonna go to the meskwaki on some sunday cuz they have some decent tourneys from what I've heard. And yeah, the Isle has a $50 bounty tournament on monday nights i think.

University of Central Florida graduate, criminal justicePutting the degree to good use working part time at a catering company. Thinking of going back to get my masters but it's a lot more expensive up here and I don't have any money.

I'm only 20, so the Meskwaki is the only place I can play, which sucks cuz the Isle is so close to here. Me and a buddy from up here are gonna go to the meskwaki on some sunday cuz they have some decent tourneys from what I've heard. And yeah, the Isle has a $50 bounty tournament on monday nights i think.
Their sunday tourney is ok, everybody sucks, but so does the structure. Let me know when you do go though, I still go sometimes with a friend who is under 21 as well.

Union Electrican in my 5th and final year of the apprenticeship. Can't wait to graduate so I can travel. First stop... VEGAS! (if there is work of course) If not, anywhere the pay is decent and the poker is legal.

i mean this as genuine advice and not an insult, but those are viewed as relatively worthless majors in the business world. ad firms are laying the few people they hire off left and right, and unless you mean something like hospital or hotel specific management, no one is hiring people right out of college to manage anything without a familiarity of the skillset of the people you are going to manage. If you can stay on a semester or two and get at the very least a minor in something like finance, MIS, accounting, operations management, HR etc. you will be significantly more marketable.this is a conversation i have every so often with a friend in corporate recruiting for a pretty large corporation. companies are looking for people with specific skillsets that they can then later teach to run things. I went to school with plenty of guys with the same type of majors you have with very few job prospects and it hurts me to see so many people take this path. best of luck either way sir.
This is 100% correct and great advice.This is the reason I switched from international business to finance my junior year. It would have been a worthless degree.
This is 100% correct and great advice.This is the reason I switched from international business to finance my junior year. It would have been a worthless degree.
well played.
Thanks. My schooling is a waste :club: Shocker. And I know you aren't trying to insult me but it's going to come off that way however you say it and I understand that. I'm not planning on staying an extra semester and I'll live with what I can get. I do think it really depends on the situation though.

Meh, unless you are going to go into something specific (like accounting to do accounting) your degree is just a way to get your foot in the door. Very few people in the business world (aside from those specifics like accounting) do anything related to what they got their degree in. My degree is in Business Management and had no problems finding a job and moving up in my company ahead of probably a ton of people that had more "correct" degrees. I did quite a bit of hiring myself the last few years there and honestly, never even really paid attention to what someone's degree was in. Placement scores (Wonderlic, etc) and the interview were what made my decision.