New Puppy!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not if it's a lab for a valentines present.
Yes if it's a lab for a valentines present. One very quick, easy, and reasonable explanation is that the adopting family has small children and limited dog ownership experience. In that case it can be best to get a puppy from a reputable breeder because you can be much more sure of temperament than you could ever be getting one from a rescue group. You can also have a better idea about size and be as sure as possible that you aren't getting a dog with a serious genetic defect. While you or I could handle those variations, it's perfectly fine that some people want to minimize those risks as much as possible.It's cool that you do what you do, and it's ok to make suggestions, but as soon as you start getting aggressive about preaching/judging you can just end up turning people off to your cause. That's just my opinion, anyway.
Yes if it's a lab for a valentines present. One very quick, easy, and reasonable explanation is that the adopting family has small children and limited dog ownership experience. In that case it can be best to get a puppy from a reputable breeder because you can be much more sure of temperament than you could ever be getting one from a rescue group. You can also have a better idea about size and be as sure as possible that you aren't getting a dog with a serious genetic defect. While you or I could handle those variations, it's perfectly fine that some people want to minimize those risks as much as possible.It's cool that you do what you do, and it's ok to make suggestions, but as soon as you start getting aggressive about preaching/judging you can just end up turning people off to your cause. That's just my opinion, anyway.
I meant just a random breeder... reputable breeders are fine, even though they're not my thing. Although, a reputable rescue organization can get you pretty much the same guarantees as most breeders. Sure, you're not going to have the bloodlines... but good bloodlines aren't indicative of good behavior anyways. From a foster-based rescue organization, you're going to have much more knowledge on how a dog reacts to stressful situations. I could go on with the benefits of a rescue dog, but since he got a puppy anyways, there won't be much of a behavioral history even with a foster, will there? As long as they're not taken away from their litter or their mother before 8 weeks, it'll be about the same from both. Very few people do enough research on breeders, so to your genetic defect point, I'd say you're more likely to get an unhealthy dog from a breeder (assuming the research most people do). But again, if you're insistent on a purebred from rescue, you'll face the same issues. I think I'm trying to tailor my rescue argument to a situation it doesn't quite fit, aren't I?I apologize if I sounded negative... I was only responding to the information provided, not making assumptions about the purpose of the dog. I don't think savage took it negatively, though. We face a very unique situation in San Antonio... my opinions are strongly colored by that.Friends?