These Gas Prices Are Killing Me

when are they going to go back up? we were on the verge of being saved, our country and the world as a whole. for a while it looked like the kind of catastrophe we needed had happened. gas was outrageous and everyone was driving less and taking about solar power. the economy being bad on top of it was even better. this recession is the best thing that has ever happened to us. it got obama elected and is destroying evil consumptionist corporations left and right. we can only hope that these terrible gas prices stop falling, its the only thing that will ensure we make type 1. in 2007 the polar ice caps were the smallest theyve ever been, by a lot. this recession may be the one thing that changes the trend, so enjoy it.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

when are they going to go back up? we were on the verge of being saved, our country and the world as a whole. for a while it looked like the kind of catastrophe we needed had happened. gas was outrageous and everyone was driving less and taking about solar power. the economy being bad on top of it was even better. this recession is the best thing that has ever happened to us. it got obama elected and is destroying evil consumptionist corporations left and right. we can only hope that these terrible gas prices stop falling, its the only thing that will ensure we make type 1. in 2007 the polar ice caps were the smallest theyve ever been, by a lot. this recession may be the one thing that changes the trend, so enjoy it.
BWAAAAHAAAAA

There is actually an interesting (negative) side effect of the super cheap gas prices that I haven't heard a lot about in the news. Many state budgets included $x hundred million dollars revenue from gas sales/gas taxes. And now suddenly they are falling way way short and don't really know how to make up for it. I would imagine this is something we start to hear a lot more about soon.

UN Blowback: More Than 650 International Scientists Dissent Over Man-Made Global Warming Claims POZNAN, Poland - The UN global warming conference currently underway in Poland is about to face a serious challenge from over 650 dissenting scientists from around the globe who are criticizing the climate claims made by the UN IPCC and former Vice President Al Gore. Set for release this week, a newly updated U.S. Senate Minority Report features the dissenting voices of over 650 international scientists, many current and former UN IPCC scientists, who have now turned against the UN. The report has added about 250 scientists (and growing) in 2008 to the over 400 scientists who spoke out in 2007. The over 650 dissenting scientists are more than 12 times the number of UN scientists (52) who authored the media hyped IPCC 2007 Summary for Policymakers. The U.S. Senate report is the latest evidence of the growing groundswell of scientific opposition rising to challenge the UN and Gore. Scientific meetings are now being dominated by a growing number of skeptical scientists. The prestigious International Geological Congress, dubbed the geologists' equivalent of the Olympic Games, was held in Norway in August 2008 and prominently featured the voices and views of scientists skeptical of man-made global warming fears. [see Full report Here: & See: Skeptical scientists overwhelm conference: '2/3 of presenters and question-askers were hostile to, even dismissive of, the UN IPCC' ] Full Senate Report Set To Be Released in the Next 24 Hours – Stay Tuned… A hint of what the upcoming report contains: “I am a skeptic…Global warming has become a new religion.” - Nobel Prize Winner for Physics, Ivar Giaever. “Since I am no longer affiliated with any organization nor receiving any funding, I can speak quite frankly….As a scientist I remain skeptical.” - Atmospheric Scientist Dr. Joanne Simpson, the first woman in the world to receive a PhD in meteorology and formerly of NASA who has authored more than 190 studies and has been called “among the most preeminent scientists of the last 100 years.” Warming fears are the “worst scientific scandal in the history…When people come to know what the truth is, they will feel deceived by science and scientists.” - UN IPCC Japanese Scientist Dr. Kiminori Itoh, an award-winning PhD environmental physical chemist. “The IPCC has actually become a closed circuit; it doesn’t listen to others. It doesn’t have open minds… I am really amazed that the Nobel Peace Prize has been given on scientifically incorrect conclusions by people who are not geologists,” - Indian geologist Dr. Arun D. Ahluwalia at Punjab University and a board member of the UN-supported International Year of the Planet. “The models and forecasts of the UN IPCC "are incorrect because they only are based on mathematical models and presented results at scenarios that do not include, for example, solar activity.” - Victor Manuel Velasco Herrera, a researcher at the Institute of Geophysics of the National Autonomous University of Mexico “It is a blatant lie put forth in the media that makes it seem there is only a fringe of scientists who don’t buy into anthropogenic global warming.” - U.S Government Atmospheric Scientist Stanley B. Goldenberg of the Hurricane Research Division of NOAA. “Even doubling or tripling the amount of carbon dioxide will virtually have little impact, as water vapour and water condensed on particles as clouds dominate the worldwide scene and always will.” – . Geoffrey G. Duffy, a professor in the Department of Chemical and Materials Engineering of the University of Auckland, NZ. “After reading [uN IPCC chairman] Pachauri's asinine comment [comparing skeptics to] Flat Earthers, it's hard to remain quiet.” - Climate statistician Dr. William M. Briggs, who specializes in the statistics of forecast evaluation, serves on the American Meteorological Society's Probability and Statistics Committee and is an Associate Editor of Monthly Weather Review. “For how many years must the planet cool before we begin to understand that the planet is not warming? For how many years must cooling go on?" - Geologist Dr. David Gee the chairman of the science committee of the 2008 International Geological Congress who has authored 130 plus peer reviewed papers, and is currently at Uppsala University in Sweden. “Gore prompted me to start delving into the science again and I quickly found myself solidly in the skeptic camp…Climate models can at best be useful for explaining climate changes after the fact.” - Meteorologist Hajo Smit of Holland, who reversed his belief in man-made warming to become a skeptic, is a former member of the Dutch UN IPCC committee. “Many [scientists] are now searching for a way to back out quietly (from promoting warming fears), without having their professional careers ruined.” - Atmospheric physicist James A. Peden, formerly of the Space Research and Coordination Center in Pittsburgh. “Creating an ideology pegged to carbon dioxide is a dangerous nonsense…The present alarm on climate change is an instrument of social control, a pretext for major businesses and political battle. It became an ideology, which is concerning.” - Environmental Scientist Professor Delgado Domingos of Portugal, the founder of the Numerical Weather Forecast group, has more than 150 published articles. “CO2 emissions make absolutely no difference one way or another….Every scientist knows this, but it doesn’t pay to say so…Global warming, as a political vehicle, keeps Europeans in the driver’s seat and developing nations walking barefoot.” - Dr. Takeda Kunihiko, vice-chancellor of the Institute of Science and Technology Research at Chubu University in Japan. “The [global warming] scaremongering has its justification in the fact that it is something that generates funds.” - Award-winning Paleontologist Dr. Eduardo Tonni, of the Committee for Scientific Research in Buenos Aires and head of the Paleontology Department at the University of La Plata. # #
There is actually an interesting (negative) side effect of the super cheap gas prices that I haven't heard a lot about in the news. Many state budgets included $x hundred million dollars revenue from gas sales/gas taxes. And now suddenly they are falling way way short and don't really know how to make up for it. I would imagine this is something we start to hear a lot more about soon.
Not certain if this is the norm, however in Michigan, gas tax is per gallon, not a percent of the bill. The higher the consumption, the higher the Gas Tax Revenue. As gas prices increase and consumption decreases, tax revenue actually decreases.
Not certain if this is the norm, however in Michigan, gas tax is per gallon, not a percent of the bill. The higher the consumption, the higher the Gas Tax Revenue. As gas prices increase and consumption decreases, tax revenue actually decreases.
Not sure, I think when I heard it they were referring to Connecticut being the screwed state in question, but many other states could face similar issues.
http://www.taxfoundation.org/taxdata/show/245.htmllooks like all states have a set dollar amount of tax per gallon. I could still see how a significant decrease in consumption would seriously effect tax revenues from gas though. I haven't looked at any data, but just from personal anecdotal evidence, people are being pretty slow to ramp up gas consumption again (still not traveling much, driving slower, etc.). to me it looks like in this case, it's actually peoples behaviors that are sticky, not the prices.
in 2007 the polar ice caps were the smallest theyve ever been, by a lot.
Edited because what I originally said was overly harsh, but what I quoted here is just false.Also I take it you don't drive? These lower gas prices are helping my family get through a tough time right now.2nd Edit: I think the op might have been a level, if so, nh.

Where are the congressional hearings to find out why gas isn't at the "correct" price? Congress obviously knows what the correct price is, since they had hearings on it before. Did they decide it's $1.60/gallon? I would think it's somewhere around $2.50/gallon. I think we need to find out what the evil oil companies are up to.

Where are the congressional hearings to find out why gas isn't at the "correct" price? Congress obviously knows what the correct price is, since they had hearings on it before. Did they decide it's $1.60/gallon? I would think it's somewhere around $2.50/gallon. I think we need to find out what the evil oil companies are up to.
evil oil companies? those poor bastards are losing money hand over fist! I say we set up some sort of relief fund or something for them. I feel bad.
Edited because what I originally said was overly harsh, but what I quoted here is just false.Also I take it you don't drive? These lower gas prices are helping my family get through a tough time right now.2nd Edit: I think the op might have been a level, if so, nh.
its not a level, unless you mean the fact that im looking beyond the present and obvious. and yes, i dont drive, i walk everywhere on a day to day basis. 30 minutes to the grocery store, multiple trips per week so i can carry the stuff back in small loads. i dont even take the bus, except on special occasions, and they run on natural gas. and yes, this makes me a better person than you.i was pretty sure i heard that quote somewhere, and if i quoted it wrong it doesnt change anything.this is nothing compared to the tough times your family will have when the earth is crashing and burning, in that they will be dead, along with you. so, realize that things are more important than your immediate situation. we are on the verge as a civilization to make it to type 1, look this up if you dont know what it means. the next 100 years are the most important and most dangerous time in our history by far, and the earth needs to be around. it may please you to know that eventually we wont need the earth, and when that time comes you can continue destroying it. but to get there we need it now.
earth is crashing and burning,
It snowed in Houston today, Since 1895, according to data collected by Houston's Weather Research Center, snow has fallen this early just once — on Dec. 10, 1944 — during the last 113 years.Burn Baby Burn

Luckily for all of you I am selling Global Catastrophe Insurance.For only $500 per person per year I will guarentee the earth to not be totally destroyed.If it ever does destroy itself, I will double your initial investment, plus add in $50 for shipping and handling

Beep! That is incorrect (at least partly).In Michigan, the tax is both a flat tax per gallon AND a sales tax (of 6%). Most states do not have a sales tax on gasoline, much like we do not tax food items.What I find funny (politically), is that when gas prices went up to $2.50 or so a few years back, the politicians assured us that they were not making any more money as a result, because we were spending more on gas, and less on other taxable items, therefore it was a wash. But now that gas prices are low, suddenly we need to raise the gas tax, because they are not making as much money as they used to be. (!!!)
Luckily for all of you I am selling Global Catastrophe Insurance.For only $500 per person per year I will guarentee the earth to not be totally destroyed.If it ever does destroy itself, I will double your initial investment, plus add in $50 for shipping and handling
Damn you I wish i had thought of that!!! No wonder you have done so well Balloon's, they are at least a product!!Here in Eastern PA we are running about 5 degrees below historical averages...small sample size sure but it is killing my golf!! if we could get the temp to go up just 4 or 5 more degrees on average...Whoohoo i would be closer to the shore and golfing all year round!!

Wont there be some sort of offset for the government budgets? Given that they likely budgeted fuel costs for state vehicles, buses, etc at a higher average cost?

UN Blowback: More Than 650 International Scientists Dissent Over Man-Made Global Warming Claims POZNAN, Poland - The UN global warming conference currently underway in Poland is about to face a serious challenge from over 650 dissenting scientists from around the globe who are criticizing the climate claims made by the UN IPCC and former Vice President Al Gore. Set for release this week, a newly updated U.S. Senate Minority Report features the dissenting voices of over 650 international scientists, many current and former UN IPCC scientists, who have now turned against the UN. The report has added about 250 scientists (and growing) in 2008 to the over 400 scientists who spoke out in 2007. The over 650 dissenting scientists are more than 12 times the number of UN scientists (52) who authored the media hyped IPCC 2007 Summary for Policymakers. The U.S. Senate report is the latest evidence of the growing groundswell of scientific opposition rising to challenge the UN and Gore. Scientific meetings are now being dominated by a growing number of skeptical scientists. The prestigious International Geological Congress, dubbed the geologists' equivalent of the Olympic Games, was held in Norway in August 2008 and prominently featured the voices and views of scientists skeptical of man-made global warming fears. [see Full report Here: & See: Skeptical scientists overwhelm conference: '2/3 of presenters and question-askers were hostile to, even dismissive of, the UN IPCC' ] Full Senate Report Set To Be Released in the Next 24 Hours – Stay Tuned… A hint of what the upcoming report contains: “I am a skeptic…Global warming has become a new religion.” - Nobel Prize Winner for Physics, Ivar Giaever. “Since I am no longer affiliated with any organization nor receiving any funding, I can speak quite frankly….As a scientist I remain skeptical.” - Atmospheric Scientist Dr. Joanne Simpson, the first woman in the world to receive a PhD in meteorology and formerly of NASA who has authored more than 190 studies and has been called “among the most preeminent scientists of the last 100 years.” Warming fears are the “worst scientific scandal in the history…When people come to know what the truth is, they will feel deceived by science and scientists.” - UN IPCC Japanese Scientist Dr. Kiminori Itoh, an award-winning PhD environmental physical chemist. “The IPCC has actually become a closed circuit; it doesn’t listen to others. It doesn’t have open minds… I am really amazed that the Nobel Peace Prize has been given on scientifically incorrect conclusions by people who are not geologists,” - Indian geologist Dr. Arun D. Ahluwalia at Punjab University and a board member of the UN-supported International Year of the Planet. “The models and forecasts of the UN IPCC "are incorrect because they only are based on mathematical models and presented results at scenarios that do not include, for example, solar activity.” - Victor Manuel Velasco Herrera, a researcher at the Institute of Geophysics of the National Autonomous University of Mexico “It is a blatant lie put forth in the media that makes it seem there is only a fringe of scientists who don’t buy into anthropogenic global warming.” - U.S Government Atmospheric Scientist Stanley B. Goldenberg of the Hurricane Research Division of NOAA. “Even doubling or tripling the amount of carbon dioxide will virtually have little impact, as water vapour and water condensed on particles as clouds dominate the worldwide scene and always will.” – . Geoffrey G. Duffy, a professor in the Department of Chemical and Materials Engineering of the University of Auckland, NZ. “After reading [uN IPCC chairman] Pachauri's asinine comment [comparing skeptics to] Flat Earthers, it's hard to remain quiet.” - Climate statistician Dr. William M. Briggs, who specializes in the statistics of forecast evaluation, serves on the American Meteorological Society's Probability and Statistics Committee and is an Associate Editor of Monthly Weather Review. “For how many years must the planet cool before we begin to understand that the planet is not warming? For how many years must cooling go on?" - Geologist Dr. David Gee the chairman of the science committee of the 2008 International Geological Congress who has authored 130 plus peer reviewed papers, and is currently at Uppsala University in Sweden. “Gore prompted me to start delving into the science again and I quickly found myself solidly in the skeptic camp…Climate models can at best be useful for explaining climate changes after the fact.” - Meteorologist Hajo Smit of Holland, who reversed his belief in man-made warming to become a skeptic, is a former member of the Dutch UN IPCC committee. “Many [scientists] are now searching for a way to back out quietly (from promoting warming fears), without having their professional careers ruined.” - Atmospheric physicist James A. Peden, formerly of the Space Research and Coordination Center in Pittsburgh. “Creating an ideology pegged to carbon dioxide is a dangerous nonsense…The present alarm on climate change is an instrument of social control, a pretext for major businesses and political battle. It became an ideology, which is concerning.” - Environmental Scientist Professor Delgado Domingos of Portugal, the founder of the Numerical Weather Forecast group, has more than 150 published articles. “CO2 emissions make absolutely no difference one way or another….Every scientist knows this, but it doesn’t pay to say so…Global warming, as a political vehicle, keeps Europeans in the driver’s seat and developing nations walking barefoot.” - Dr. Takeda Kunihiko, vice-chancellor of the Institute of Science and Technology Research at Chubu University in Japan. “The [global warming] scaremongering has its justification in the fact that it is something that generates funds.” - Award-winning Paleontologist Dr. Eduardo Tonni, of the Committee for Scientific Research in Buenos Aires and head of the Paleontology Department at the University of La Plata. # #
Post of the Year. Those scamming IPCC scientists should be barred from their profession for the willful negligence they have demonstrated. Now have to get the politicians to flipflop back and all is well.By the way, one week of driving in my Supercharged Escalade cost me 38 bucks. Can you say sweet? These prices can stay the hell down or go even lower. Booya!Edit - here is the link to the Senate report:http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?Fus...FTOKEN=51789188Lotsa Lotsa skeptics - love seeing the science get unsettled!
WA does a flat cent per gallon tax, so they and other states who tax this way may be fine. Usage certainly won't decline given always rising demand. In fact, their fears of dwindling usage can go away, as cheaper gas will lead to a slight increase in usage.
Post of the Year. Those scamming IPCC scientists should be barred from their profession for the willful negligence they have demonstrated. Now have to get the politicians to flipflop back and all is well.By the way, one week of driving in my Supercharged Escalade cost me 38 bucks. Can you say sweet? These prices can stay the hell down or go even lower. Booya!Edit - here is the link to the Senate report:http://epw.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?Fus...FTOKEN=51789188Lotsa Lotsa skeptics - love seeing the science get unsettled!
Wow, a whole 650 scientists in the entire world disagree? Must be wrong!! The condemners are just as guilty as those that jumped on the global bandwagon. Weathermen can't predict how much rain is going to fall 3 days from now, how in the hell can they predict the kind of information it takes to confirm/deny such a thing as global warming? Receeding glaciers, ice shelves calving, and polar ice caps melting are realtime, measurable things that have consequences. Are the consequences as dire as what some predict? Likely somewhere between no effect and epic flooding and violent weather. Back on OP topic, I do feel it is pretty naive and conceited to think we don't need to find an alternative to oil based fuel. If not for our lifetimes, certainly for our grandchildren and beyond. It should have nothing to do with what the cost of gasoline is at this very moment. Typical human short sightedness.

This worldwide economy slowdown is not fun for anyone, but to me the one good thing it has done is delayed the ridiculous amount of spending that was going to happen, now that it had become political suicide not to play along, to reduce "global warming" (now known as "climate change" since the warming just ain't happening). Nothing warms my heart like seeing the non-cost effective energy alternatives suddenly lose their investors.I think we are going to look back in 10 years (or 20 or whatever it takes to completely dismantle the CC scam) and say we were damn lucky the economy slowdown came before we spent trillions building windmills and ocean current generators and got rid of all the cheap coal fired generation.As to us running out of oil, maybe we will and maybe we won't. There seems to be new discoveries happening all the time.But even if we do run out of oil one day, and look to alternative methods to power movement, it should be because we actually are out of oil and not because a bunch of scammers brainwashed the politicians and treehuggers of the world that fossil fuels were ruining the earth. An additionally, the sooner the CC scam goes away, the sooner the money that was going to be wasted to fight this nonexistant evil can be diverted to a more useful end, like fighting real world problems, like hunger in 3rd world countries (which the CC scam has made worse, by the way, congrats), and diseases like Cancer and Heart and Strokes.God is watching out for us after all. :club:

But even if we do run out of oil one day, and look to alternative methods to power movement, it should be because we actually are out of oil and not because a bunch of scammers brainwashed the politicians and treehuggers of the world that fossil fuels were ruining the earth.
Yes let's deplete all of our natural resources, just use 'em all up with no thought to the future, and then when we're out of oil, then maybe we can start thinking of alternative sources. Brilliant.
God is watching out for us after all. :club:
Oh I get it, you're delusional.
This worldwide economy slowdown is not fun for anyone, but to me the one good thing it has done is delayed the ridiculous amount of spending that was going to happen, now that it had become political suicide not to play along, to reduce "global warming" (now known as "climate change" since the warming just ain't happening). Nothing warms my heart like seeing the non-cost effective energy alternatives suddenly lose their investors.I think we are going to look back in 10 years (or 20 or whatever it takes to completely dismantle the CC scam) and say we were damn lucky the economy slowdown came before we spent trillions building windmills and ocean current generators and got rid of all the cheap coal fired generation.As to us running out of oil, maybe we will and maybe we won't. There seems to be new discoveries happening all the time.But even if we do run out of oil one day, and look to alternative methods to power movement, it should be because we actually are out of oil and not because a bunch of scammers brainwashed the politicians and treehuggers of the world that fossil fuels were ruining the earth. An additionally, the sooner the CC scam goes away, the sooner the money that was going to be wasted to fight this nonexistant evil can be diverted to a more useful end, like fighting real world problems, like hunger in 3rd world countries (which the CC scam has made worse, by the way, congrats), and diseases like Cancer and Heart and Strokes.God is watching out for us after all. :club:
you are everthing that is wrong with this world, congrats.
Yes let's deplete all of our natural resources, just use 'em all up with no thought to the future, and then when we're out of oil, then maybe we can start thinking of alternative sources. Brilliant.
Whiffed on that one pal - I did say IF we are using them up (and I am not so sure we are), why not put the money towards alternate methods of fueling travel - BUT do so because we are running out of resources, not because a bunch of self-interest scammers decide they want to create an artificial crisis and make money off of it by creating this carbon credit fiasco. I don't know how I can be any more clear there - you are trying to put words in my mouth (i.e. no thought to the future). Read a bit more carefully next time.edit - since where are you a CC advocate? You must be bored and grumpy that the Yanks have signed Sabathia and Burnett and all the Sox have done is put on new uniforms :club:
you are everthing that is wrong with this world, congrats.
Well actually I would suggest that YOU are everything that is wrong with the world. Got any plans to get the economy going while simultaneously pumping up the cost of energy in the name of CC? Just keep on believing that the IPCC guys actually know what they are talking about. We can have a good discussion someday on the breadline.