Mvps, Cy Youngs, Etc

Congrats to Giants fans!Nice story about him in the Boston Globe:

A giant feat for LincecumBy Nick CafardoGlobe Staff / November 12, 2008 Tim Lincecum has a lot of nicknames, but let's give him one that would be most apropos: "The Event."Those who watch the newly crowned National League Cy Young Award winner on a regular basis feel he's capable of doing something special every time he takes the mound. There haven't been many pitchers in recent years that you can say that about. Pedro Martínez and Roger Clemens were two around here. Josh Beckett has shown to be one as well.What's endearing about the second-year San Francisco Giants righthander is his slight stature and unassuming ways.During the days when I was following Barry Bonds's home run chase, I remember a national reporter asking, "Why does the clubhouse kid dress so close to Bonds?"The "clubhouse kid" was Lincecum, who is 5 feet 11 inches, 170 pounds, and looks like he's 16, but pitches like someone who could wind up in the Hall of Fame."It doesn't matter whether you're 5-11 or 6-5 when you're a major league pitcher," said Lincecum at his press conference yesterday in San Francisco. "You go out there trying to do the same thing - get hitters out. However you accomplish that is fine, as long as you do it. I've dealt with talk about my size all of my life, so it's nothing new for me."Lincecum, who went 18-5 this year, beat out 22-game winner (and former Cy Young recipient) Brandon Webb of Arizona by a comfortable margin, getting 23 of 32 first-place votes and 137 points to Webb's 73. Mets lefthander Johan Santana finished third with 55 points, and fourth was Phillies closer Brad Lidge. CC Sabathia finished fifth for his remarkable second half with the Brewers after being traded from Cleveland."It's impressive to me that the voters came to the realization that Tim was the best," said Giants general manager Brian Sabean. "If you asked his peers, they would tell you that Tim was the most dominant pitcher in the National League this season."You never think about a pitcher 24 years old winning the Cy Young. Cy Young at that age is a little bit outside the box. You think All-Star team, maybe even 20 games, but Cy Young? That's incredible, and he earned it."Sabean is absolutely right; while Webb had more victories and won 11 of his last 14 starts, Lincecum had a better ERA (2.62 to 3.30) and was dominating on a poor team."I'm honored," said Lincecum. "I always heard teammates say I had a shot at it, but really, I just kind of shrugged it off and told them I was going to wait until the end like everybody else to see who won it. I thank everyone who voted for me."Lidge probably should have been considered more. Going 41 for 41 in save chances is pretty impressive. Webb had an excellent season, but probably shouldn't have finished ahead of Lidge.Toward the end of the season, some were touting Sabathia's chances of winning the award. He was phenomenal - 11-2, 1.65 ERA in 17 starts - but appropriately finished behind four guys who pitched in the league the entire season at a high level.Lincecum, using an arsenal of a 95-mile-per-hour fastball, slider, curve, and changeup, had the league's best winning percentage (.783) and led the circuit with 265 strikeouts (in 227 innings)."I've always taken pride in trying to strike people out. I've always been that guy," said Lincecum, who played in the Cape Cod League for the Harwich Mariners in 2005. "That's the one [statistic] that kind of gets me fired up."When Bonds was no longer wanted by the Giants, Lincecum became the team's new main attraction. His starts are must-sees. He has the same funky delivery - with a long stride and severe torque - that he had at Liberty Senior High in Renton, Wash., and the University of Washington."He's got his own kind of mechanics," said Sabean, "and they work incredibly well for him."Lincecum is one of the few pitchers who doesn't ice his arm after he pitches. It's all part of why teammates call him The Freak and why others refer to him as The Franchise.Teammate Dave Roberts, the former Red Sox outfielder, said, "I've been in the game a long time and seen a lot of great ones. This kid is at the mountaintop. If he stays healthy, he's going to put some records up there in the history books."If he's at the mountaintop in San Francisco, he might have to knock Juan Marichal and Gaylord Perry from it someday. They are considered the franchise's elite pitchers. Mike McCormick won a Cy Young in 1967, the only Giant to win one before yesterday."I spoke to Mike McCormick," said Lincecum, "and he said to me that I'll always be referred to as 'Cy Young winner Tim Lincecum,' no matter what happens the rest of my career. I can't say that's a bad thing."Not a bad thing at all for a guy who is an event in and of himself every five days.
I don't know why you're thanking them. That award just cost boston an extra 4 million a year for when they eventually sign him.
Don't say such things, or at least knock on wood when you say it!! :club:
I don't know why you're thanking them. That award just cost boston an extra 4 million a year for when they eventually sign him.
I don't know why you assume the BoSox will get him..I mean, there's a 1 in 30 chance I suppose. Every team has an equal chance, right!!??!
I don't know why you assume the BoSox will get him..I mean, there's a 1 in 30 chance I suppose. Every team has an equal chance, right!!??!
Yep. Your Royals are looking good and hard at him right now.
We got a look at him in 2008. Not impressive.610x.jpg610x.jpg5 IP, 6 H, 5 ER, 2 BB, 8 K Royals win
meh. Even the best of pitchers can have off days against the worst of teams. :club:
meh. Even the best of pitchers can have off days against the worst of teams. :club:
I was just looking for a reason to post those pictures....must have been scary for Giant fans to see TL flying through the air like that. Of course that game means very little.

Thank God Pujols won. If the writers had thought Howard more deserving there would have been some fireworks on my end, considering the amount of money I had tied up on Pujols at 5.5-1. Seems like the writers are making progress. In any other year, I feel like Webb and Howard would have been nigh-unanimous choices for Cy Young and MVP respectively. They still don't know a ****ing thing about defensive efficiency, but, to be honest, neither do I. It seems like some of the mainstream SABRmetric ideas are starting to take root in the MSM.

Thank God Pujols won. If the writers had thought Howard more deserving there would have been some fireworks on my end, considering the amount of money I had tied up on Pujols at 5.5-1. Seems like the writers are making progress. In any other year, I feel like Webb and Howard would have been nigh-unanimous choices for Cy Young and MVP respectively. They still don't know a ****ing thing about defensive efficiency, but, to be honest, neither do I. It seems like some of the mainstream SABRmetric ideas are starting to take root in the MSM.
I wonder how many writers docked Howard points for "low batting average."
I wonder how many writers docked Howard points for "low batting average."
His low batting average was unbefitting that of an MVP. Kind of like a lady who's got great tits, and a great ass, but a face in need of a paper bag. Pujols' tits may be a cup size smaller, and his ass may be slightly less firm, but his face is that of a greek goddess and his eyes can pierce a mans soul.
His low batting average was unbefitting that of an MVP. Kind of like a lady who's got great tits, and a great ass, but a face in need of a paper bag. Pujols' tits may be a cup size smaller, and his ass may be slightly less firm, but his face is that of a greek goddess and his eyes can pierce a mans soul.
Interesting. Let’s break it down a little more. Tits = HR’s and RBI’s. These are the attention-getters, the first thing you notice. Maybe there isn’t any substance beyond that, but if they’re good enough, it might not matter.Face = batting average. Nice to look at and it will get you in the discussion, but when the lights are off, does it really matter? Also, a bad face hurts more than a good face helps.Ass = Intangibles (i.e. leadership, clutchness). Some people think this area is the most important area while others discount it heavily. Obviously I’m all for a nice ass, but if you don’t have it in other areas, it’s not going to matter.Legs = Defense and speed. Similar to the ass, it’s a nice add-on to the total package, but legs alone don’t get you into the discussion.Personality = OPS. This is what really sets the candidates apart. If you can combine a great personality with plus qualities in any other category, you’re set. On the flip side, if you have negative qualities in every other category, you’ll never get a plus rating in this category.
Interesting. Let’s break it down a little more. Tits = HR’s and RBI’s. These are the attention-getters, the first thing you notice. Maybe there isn’t any substance beyond that, but if they’re good enough, it might not matter.Face = batting average. Nice to look at and it will get you in the discussion, but when the lights are off, does it really matter? Also, a bad face hurts more than a good face helps.Ass = Intangibles (i.e. leadership, clutchness). Some people think this area is the most important area while others discount it heavily. Obviously I’m all for a nice ass, but if you don’t have it in other areas, it’s not going to matter.Legs = Defense and speed. Similar to the ass, it’s a nice add-on to the total package, but legs alone don’t get you into the discussion.Personality = OPS. This is what really sets the candidates apart. If you can combine a great personality with plus qualities in any other category, you’re set. On the flip side, if you have negative qualities in every other category, you’ll never get a plus rating in this category.
So Ryan Howard has Gary Buseys face, Marisa Millers tits and is missing legs, but has a decent personality.
So Ryan Howard has Gary Buseys face, Marisa Millers tits and is missing legs, but has a decent personality.
Ryan Howard is a swimsuit model/comedienne who had a horrific car accident, and is now a butter-face (scarring from: the flames) double-amputee.

I never thought I'd see a player who won the Home run and RBI title, and who's team went to the playoffs, lose MVP to a 4th place finish. And I have to say I'm proud. I think if howard's batting average was plus 280, he would have won it for certain, but I'm so glad AP won it, he had an amazing year.

I never thought I'd see a player who won the Home run and RBI title, and who's team went to the playoffs, lose MVP to a 4th place finish. And I have to say I'm proud. I think if howard's batting average was plus 280, he would have won it for certain, but I'm so glad AP won it, he had an amazing year.
If Howard's BA was .280 instead of .250, his OBP would be 30 points higher and his OPS 60 points higher, and he would have been a much better candidate. Then he would have finished 170 pts behind Pujols in OPS instead of 230.Actually, yeah, it wouldn't really have made a dent. Pujols is stupid-good. His elbow was banged up all year. I mean, Jesus.
If Howard's BA was .280 instead of .250, his OBP would be 30 points higher and his OPS 60 points higher, and he would have been a much better candidate. Then he would have finished 170 pts behind Pujols in OPS instead of 230.Actually, yeah, it wouldn't really have made a dent. Pujols is stupid-good. His elbow was banged up all year. I mean, Jesus.
totally agreed, glad to see the voters get it right. I was expecting the voters to be swayed by the "sexy" numbers. Howard was mostly an all or nothing guy and then had a good final 3 weeks or so. Meanwhile Pujols drug that Cardinals into contention all year when most expected them to be a last place team. If you switch the closers on the 2 teams, no one would've even considered Howard. He's not even the MVP of his own team.
totally agreed, glad to see the voters get it right. I was expecting the voters to be swayed by the "sexy" numbers. Howard was mostly an all or nothing guy and then had a good final 3 weeks or so. Meanwhile Pujols drug that Cardinals into contention all year when most expected them to be a last place team. If you switch the closers on the 2 teams, no one would've even considered Howard. He's not even the MVP of his own team.
lol really? I'm pretty sure nobody expected them to be any worse than 4th place in a division with Pittsburgh/Houston/Cincy.
lol really? I'm pretty sure nobody expected them to be any worse than 4th place in a division with Pittsburgh/Houston/Cincy.
Many thought they'd compete w/ Pittsburgh for last place. Expectations for the team were very low, and despite that they were in contention all season long. Any kind of a good bullpen/closer for most of the season and they were a playoff team. Albert was the main reason.