El Guapo & Randy Reed's Cooking Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What's the best way to microwave frozen chicken nuggets?

in a deep fryer.

Hey, Dutch. I’ve got nothing to add. Just saw you posted last and I always enjoy your posts. I’m in the process of buying a house and it has a gas range. Pretty stoked about it.

Any good lasagne recipes? Vegetarian need not apply.

Any good lasagne recipes? Vegetarian need not apply.
how good you want it? i can give you a fresh pasta recipe if you really wanna go crazy
how good you want it? i can give you a fresh pasta recipe if you really wanna go crazy
That would be perfect actually.
That would be perfect actually.
Fresh Pasta500 grams Tipo “00” flour185 grams whole eggs (approx 4)120 grams egg yolks (approx 9)1 pinch kosher salt1 tablespoon olive oil Flour and salt together in large bowl, make a wellBreak up eggs lightly with a fork and mix in olive oil, add to inside of wellWith a fork slowly mix in eggs to the flour a bit at a time, when incorporated turn out on board and kneed using the palm of hand, fold over and add flour as needed to keep hands from stickingKneed for approx 5 minutes until the dough is smooth and firm and bounces back when you press fingers into it.Wrap in plastic wrap and place in fridge overnight.Roll out, thinner for ravioli as you double the pasta, cut to shapeBoil in salted water, approx 90 seconds for tagliatelli, transfer to cold water to stop cooking, they are then ready to use for saucing etc.for lasagna i would build a meat sauce as the basesaute some ground beef, lean is better and some ground pork in there too if you like a richer sauce, drain the fat off and reserve the meatfor the tomato sauce i like to dice a few onions, more than you think you would use and saute in olive oil on low heat until clear, add a couple cans of good crushed tomatos and some oregano and basil and cook the sauce for a bit, then add the meat and simmer for a couple hoursto build the lasagna i like ricotta cheese, meat sauce, spinach, noodles and a parmessan/mozzarella cheese blend in layers, make sure sauce is the bottom layerimport thing is to rest the lasagna for at least 15 minutes after it is cooked to allow it to come together better before cookinglet me know how it goes

Today I had my first "foam" in a restaurant. It was a cauliflower foam served on top of a cauliflower risotto. It did taste cauliflowery. Not sure if it added much to the dish flavour or texturewise but it was exciting. The risotto kinda tasted like macaroni cheese come to think of it. Yummy fancy riceroni cheese with cauliflower sputum.

What i've done in the past is very close as far as ingredients. The difference being that I haven't been using fresh pastaor home made tomato sauce. I also have been using mild italian sausage for 1/3 of the meat to add more flavor. Just seemsa little bland still. I will definitely be trying this with the fresh sauce and pasta though.Bechamel sauce sounds interesting too

Hit the bechamel with a handful of parm for a shot of extra flavour.
Wouldn't that basically be alfredo sauce? Sounds good. Would you alternate a layer of tomato then a layer of the white sauce? Making me hungry.

Does anyone know how to make jelly or jam?I have a ton of fruit trees and there is no way we will be able to eat all the fruit. I would like to get my wife to cookin up some jam.

Does anyone know how to make jelly or jam?I have a ton of fruit trees and there is no way we will be able to eat all the fruit. I would like to get my wife to cookin up some jam.
I have a decent idea. Especially since I just googled it.
Wouldn't that basically be alfredo sauce? Sounds good. Would you alternate a layer of tomato then a layer of the white sauce? Making me hungry.
Yes, it's a basic alfredo. Needs a grate of nutmeg, too. Alternating layers sounds good.
The girl's coming over for our first attempt at cooking dinner together. Looking for something that takes work, but isn't ridiculously hard to pull off. Thoughts?
I would roast a beef tenderloin salt/pepper- pan sear it, the finish it in the ovenMake a red wine sauce with whatever wine you are buying to drink with the steak:
  • Red wine
  • Balsamic Vinegar
  • Molasses
  • Hot Sauce - ( a thick version, not tobasco) just a splash
  • Pepper
  • Sugar
  • Vanilla bean or extract (very little amount)

Reduce until it thickly coats a spoon.For sides I would make a fresh spinach salad with walnuts or pecans, shallots, strawberries or raspberries salt pepper and tossed lightly with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.Possibly roast some fingerling potatoes roughly chopped with large chunks of onions so they caramelize. Add some paprika and tumeric along with salt and pepper.I think I might make this tonight now....

Meh.
Ha.Here's a little something I created all on my own:
If i can figure out pictures I will add photosValentines Day Meal - 2008This is the meal I made my gf and I for valentines:Starter was Shrimp CocktailI grate my own horseradish, combine that with some wasabi if spice is fine, also some salt and pepper, then add in ketchup to taste.second courseGrilled Baguette with Goat cheese, warm prosciutto, cappicolla and mixed greens w/rosemary mayoFirst bake the bread with the cheese and meatsMix about 1 tsp of dried/crushed rosemary into three table spoons of mayo with S+P to taste add in 1 tsp of grain mustard or dijon and spread ontop of warm breadpile on mixed greensMain Course - Duck Breast with mushroom and kumquat risotto 1 - medium duckbreast per serving - score fat in diamond shape and press between wax paper and refridgerate for half hour - preheat oven to 4252. Warm up chicken stock on the stove and begin to toast of arborio rice - once rice is toasted add in 1 tbsp of butter and one ladle of chicken stock and stir until incorporated after second ladle add halfed Kumquats, and diced mushrooms use as many different mushrooms as you desire repeat the stock until you get a creamy risotto, add in salt and pepperadditions to the risotto to tasteLight truffle oil to add to the earthiness of this dish3. After you have added the Kumquat to the risotto, preheat a pan to medium high (preferably aluminum, NOT NON STICK!!!) - while pan is heating salt and pepper the chilled duck breast on the fat side once pan is heated add 1 tbsp olive oil per duck breast going in the pan....no more than two duck breast per pan - sear until crust begins to form and then turn duck breast over and deglaze with white wine...cover and put in the oven for 7 minutes (longer if you are not a fan of med rare duck) - while oven is going have a pan heated on med high with olive oil and add blanched green beans - salt and pepper green beans and toss to coat - add in 1/4 tsp of cayanne pepper, 1/4 tsp ground almonds, and 1 tbsp of butter as soon as all has incorporated remove from heat and let stand... - Beans should take about 5 minutes so set up a cutting board with aluminum and then remove duck from oven - rest duck on aluminum and tent for 3 minutesPlatingPlate risotto on bottomSlice duck breast and shingle on the risottostack green beans off set on the plateDrizzle plate with duck pan drippings (SAVE THE REST!!!!)[/quote
Here's a little something I created all on my own:
Nice.Actually, there's one thing I got out of that...shrimp. Maybe shrimp should be involved. But maybe not. I don't know. I wish my brain would start to function properly again.

Here's another one I came up with:

Tequila Shrimp1lb 16-20 count shrimp1 cup Heavy cream1/4 cup Chopped parsley1/4 cup Chopped cilantro1/4 cup chopped scallions1/4 cup olive oil1/2 cup butter1/2 cup good white tequila (stronger the better)tblspn honeyrinse and de-shit your shrimp, pat dry. Coat in honey and the same spices as the steak. Bring pan to medium heat dissolve the butter then add the oil. Add the shrimp and scallions and saute until the shrimp start to turn pink. Add the tequila and flambe (if you have a gas range you can just tilt the pan and it will light, if you have electric you will need a lighter. Be careful and don't have the fan on, it will suck the flam up). Once the flame is almost all cooked down add the cream, parsley and cilantro. Finish cooking 2 more minute until sauce comes to a boil.
Well since you gave zero parameters, fuck off.Get your head straight speedz, then try me again.
Please!
Maybe a cajun shrimp alfredo dealy.
Meh...I don't know if she'd like that. Though it's something I know I can make. Though I don't wanna.

Went with:Spinach salad with walnuts, feta, pomagranate. Terriyaki marinated salmon - that's a thing, right?Roast potatos - no idea how to do this...help? I got rosemary and thyme, that's a thing, right? Asparagus - this, I can handle.I almost had a nervous breakdown deciding at the grocery store with no plan or list, hungry and tired. Women.