El Guapo & Randy Reed's Cooking Thread

Today I made a dish from a recipe book. It was soba noodles with toasted sesame seeds. The problem I had is that it asked for minced garlic in the sauce/liquid which wasn't cooked. So, I made it according to the book and it came out quite strong of raw garlic which is now lingering in my mouth.How do you guys deal with recipes asking for raw garlic to avoid this unpleasantness?
use shallots insteadfor soba noodles i use 4 parts dashi/1 mirin/ 1 soy/ and a touch of japanesse sesame oil/ fresh thyme/ minced shallots/ pinch of sugar
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What's the best way to microwave frozen chicken nuggets?

in a deep fryer.

Hey, Dutch. I’ve got nothing to add. Just saw you posted last and I always enjoy your posts. I’m in the process of buying a house and it has a gas range. Pretty stoked about it.

I ate a few chicken hearts this afternoon...they were pretty good. A little rubbery and I think just drenched in soy. I can see how, prepared correctly, they could be delicious.

Today I made a dish from a recipe book. It was soba noodles with toasted sesame seeds. The problem I had is that it asked for minced garlic in the sauce/liquid which wasn't cooked. So, I made it according to the book and it came out quite strong of raw garlic which is now lingering in my mouth.How do you guys deal with recipes asking for raw garlic to avoid this unpleasantness?
A cousin is married to a girl from sicily. From what I understand they don't care for the strong garlic taste in food but enjoy the backgroundflavor it gives. So what they do often times is to slice the garlic in large enough pieces that it's easily picked out after it has time to flavor the dish, rather than eaten.

Sorry, I haven't been participating much but the new stuff I have tried I can never remember all the ingredients and such, plus my diet has changed pretty dramatically. Some of things I have been doing is making batches of whole wheat muffins to eat on the way to work in the morning. A couple times a week I am eating a salmon curry salad on pita's that is pretty good, or chicken pitas with home made honey mustard dressing. Also alot of salads. For dinner I've been making whole wheat pizza's with my own dough and veggie toppings. I also eat alot of Quinoa. I make a big batch in the rice cooker and keep it in the fridge. It is really versatile like rice but healthier and has protien. I can take a scoop and heat it in the skillet with some EVOO, garlic and onion and throw whatever is on hand as far as veggies go and dump some Ponzu sauce on it, (my new addiction) and I'm good to go. The other frequent items are whole wheat pasta with some fresh tomatos and herbs or some chili.

I also eat alot of Quinoa. I make a big batch in the rice cooker and keep it in the fridge. It is really versatile like rice but healthier and has protien. I can take a scoop and heat it in the skillet with some EVOO, garlic and onion and throw whatever is on hand as far as veggies go and dump some Ponzu sauce on it, (my new addiction) and I'm good to go.
Mmm I am still loving quinoa. Regularly I make it with finely minced red onion, diced tomato, fresh basil, feta cubes, lemon juice, olive oil and seasoning. Basically like a simple, fresh greek salad with quinoa. I eat it with lettuce and a vegetarian burger as a quick meal.One recipe I made up which worked really well and is pretty healthy too:Zucchini tortilla 'pizza'Make 1 or 2 tortillas per person.Dice some onion (I like to mix white and red for a bit of added sweetness) and lightly saute, adding chopped garlic toward the end and finally grated zucchini (I just eyeball the proportions).Saute and season, add whatever mixed herbs, pinch of nutmeg, anything else you feel like (garlic granules, onion powder, splash of lemon juice, whatever). When the zucchini is lightly cooked and reduced a bit in size, remove from the heat and mix in a small dollop of cream cheese. You don't need much since the zucchini is already juicy.Spread that mixture lightly on top of the tortillas, and then here is my stroke of genius: sprinkle the top with raw flaked almonds. Bake for 5-10 minutes keeping an eye on it. The edges of the tortilla will go crispy and the almond slivers will turn a toasty brown.Tangy cream cheese + vegetable goodness + crunch of toasted almond = good stuff. I served mine with a quick tomato and red onion salad dressed with balsamic just to cut through the creaminess of the cheese.
Mmm I am still loving quinoa. Regularly I make it with finely minced red onion, diced tomato, fresh basil, feta cubes, lemon juice, olive oil and seasoning. Basically like a simple, fresh greek salad with quinoa. I eat it with lettuce and a vegetarian burger as a quick meal.One recipe I made up which worked really well and is pretty healthy too:Zucchini tortilla 'pizza'Make 1 or 2 tortillas per person.Dice some onion (I like to mix white and red for a bit of added sweetness) and lightly saute, adding chopped garlic toward the end and finally grated zucchini (I just eyeball the proportions).Saute and season, add whatever mixed herbs, pinch of nutmeg, anything else you feel like (garlic granules, onion powder, splash of lemon juice, whatever). When the zucchini is lightly cooked and reduced a bit in size, remove from the heat and mix in a small dollop of cream cheese. You don't need much since the zucchini is already juicy.Spread that mixture lightly on top of the tortillas, and then here is my stroke of genius: sprinkle the top with raw flaked almonds. Bake for 5-10 minutes keeping an eye on it. The edges of the tortilla will go crispy and the almond slivers will turn a toasty brown.Tangy cream cheese + vegetable goodness + crunch of toasted almond = good stuff. I served mine with a quick tomato and red onion salad dressed with balsamic just to cut through the creaminess of the cheese.
I like that! I always keep a some bags of almonds and other nuts around. I also made potstickers (for the first time) a few weeks ago with some spinach filling that were good, but my dipping sauce was a little too gingery. I need a couple more tries to get them down but they are pretty awesome and fun to make.
Zucchini tortilla 'pizza'
Sounds good. Flour or corn tortillas? Not a big fan of nutmeg. I know the British are...
I like that! I always keep a some bags of almonds and other nuts around. I also made potstickers (for the first time) a few weeks ago with some spinach filling that were good, but my dipping sauce was a little too gingery. I need a couple more tries to get them down but they are pretty awesome and fun to make.
We loves them potstickers. I will fry them up with some chopped garlic after boiling to have them nice and chrispy.
Sounds good. Flour or corn tortillas? Not a big fan of nutmeg. I know the British are...
Flour tortillas for sure. The only corn tortillas you can get here are just awful, we don't get the real Mexican exported stuff you get in the US.Nutmeg is gorgeous in certain pairings. It is essential in a white/bechamel sauce. It goes great with spinach which is why I used it here. The important thing is not to use too much. I once spilled 2-3 times too much into a white sauce and it made it very bitter with a strong nutmeg taste. Be restrained and it will provide a fragrant background note.

Anyone have a really good wing recipe? I'm all set for the standard hot/buffalo style, and I think I found a good garlic recipe, but I was hoping to get one or two more...maybe an oriental, honey bbq, etc?

I'm pretty sure there was a recipe for wings in this thread several pages back that I've used/tweaked several times. I tried a search for it and came up empty. Pretty simple though.Throw some fresh wings in a large/gallon sized zip lock bag.Pour in enough oil (I like to use olive oil) to coat the wings real good.Add 1 to 2 (depending on the amount of wings) ranch dressing packets (the dry mix)Close the bag and toss/massage the oil/ranch mixture so the wings are well coatedwith the gooey goodness.Bake at 375 for 45 minutes or until done (I think the original recipe said to cover but I preferthe texture when not covered during cooking.To "tweak" you can add spices you like to the coating or toss the finished wings with a wingsauce of your choosing. My kids like to toss them with teryaki (sp) or a honey mustard sauce.

I'm pretty sure there was a recipe for wings in this thread several pages back that I've used/tweaked several times. I tried a search for it and came up empty.
Curious what you searched for.
Okay moving right along.Get a bag of frozen wing sections in the heavy plastic bag from the grocer and defrost.If you don't have the time to defrost tear the bag slightly open to vent and microwave on defrost until thawed.(This is alot easier than cutting wing sections all day.)Rinse the wings and pat dry.Put them in a big bowl and add salt and pepper and 2 packages of dry ranch seasoning and about 1/2 cup of olive oil.Mix with hands until nice and gooey.Put them on a baking sheet. Foil sticks alot so I don't use it.Bake at 400 for about 45 minutes. If you want them crispier turn on the broiler for a few minutes at the end.I kinda like Kroger hot wing sauce (Med) and Blue Cheese on the side but whatever you like. They're great as is.
So, someone tell me what wings actually are. I mean, I am gathering that they are chicken wings which are coated in a kind of rub or sauce and then roasted? I have always wondered what they are.
Yes ma'am. Chicken wings. Quintessential bar food in the US. The "best" way to cook them is to deep fry them. Difficult to do at home.
Curious what you searched for.
"Chicken wings" I know. Search fail. I admittedly only put about 30 seconds tops into looking cuz I knew the recipe well enough.As for the aluminum foil. They now make non-stick foil. Priceless for sticky foods like wings.
So, someone tell me what wings actually are. I mean, I am gathering that they are chicken wings which are coated in a kind of rub or sauce and then roasted? I have always wondered what they are.
Yes, two parts of the chicken wings, the 'drum' and the flat.There's a couple of different preparations. Buffalo-style wings are unbreaded, except for perhaps a light dusting of flour, but no batter or heavy coating. They can be baked or deep fried and traditionally are served with a hot sauce. You can make your own but a pretty good bottled variety is Frank's Hot Sauce. You can also use things like honey-garlic, teriyaki or barbecue flavour.hot.jpgThey're called 'Buffalo' wings because they were supposedly created at The Anchor Bar in Buffalo, NY.The other style is with a breading similar to traditional fried chicken. These wings are much crispier than the Buffalo style. They're usually deep-fried and can be sauced after cooking.

Franks also makes a Wing Sauce that is a butter/hot sauce mix as many places like to serve it.

Made the wings as planned...nice, simple recipe.-butcher, salt & pepper the wings-fry (with no batter) until golden brown-cover in mix of Frank's + melted butter + a dash of 357,000 scoville hot sauce + tiny bit of vinegar-eatDuring cleanup I was moving the EXTREME hot sauce and realized some had gotten on the bottle and then was transferred to my hand, so without thinking I licked it off. I was drinking milk for the next 15 minutes...it was a good pain though. We also made dessert wings. It was an old recipe from my mom, definitely nothing fancy, but it worked pretty well. I doubt I'd make it again, I'll probably look for a honey bbq recipe that I like.6 tbs applesauce6 tbs soy sauce6 tbs sugar4 tbs honeyDrench wings, cook at 375 degrees for 45 minutes. Turn, covering both sides again in the sauce. Cook another 45 minutes.Tomorrow me and a few friends are picking up our roosters from school...it'll be my first time killing and dressing my food. Should be interesting.

Good job, that sounds really good. I feel real lame that I have not really cooked anything of substance in months. They have been all quick boring meals.I probably won't until thanksgiving. I feel like I want to add a different dish this year, not sure what though.

• 2 weeks later...

We are having Thanksgiving dinner at my Mom's this year. I am going to be doing my usually beer brined turkey, but I think that is the only thing I am cooking. My mom is going to do a couple different soups. I think one is a mushroom and broth soup and the other is a creamy ginger soup of some kind. They both sounded really good.