El Guapo & Randy Reed's Cooking Thread

I'm sure that SJ is as close to correct than any guess I would have. It's obviously true that fish is meat, but whatever makes the Catholics feel better, I guess. The whole thing doesn't make any sense. How is God being glorified by you getting wasted and ****ing everything in sight, right up until Fat Tuesday, and then not eating red meat for 40 days? It makes no sense that they think they are tricking God into believing that they care about Him. I think they would be better off just not going to church at all and not even claiming to believe in God.
Catholics only fast from eating red meat on Ash Wednesday and Fridays during Lent. Not all 40 days.
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What's the best way to microwave frozen chicken nuggets?

in a deep fryer.

Hey, Dutch. I’ve got nothing to add. Just saw you posted last and I always enjoy your posts. I’m in the process of buying a house and it has a gas range. Pretty stoked about it.

Catholics only fast from eating red meat on Ash Wednesday and Fridays during Lent. Not all 40 days.
That's a good point. My Catholic neighbors growing up always gave up "meat" for lent, so that's where I got that. I think they gave up TV a few times also, but eventually thought that that sucked too bad.
I barely even skimmed your post, so I won't get all up in arms, but if you invite someone over for dinner knowing she has a special diet, shouldn't it be on you to accommodate it?
And I did try, but I wasn't perfect, which happens. Sue me, amirite?
Your suggestions seems kind of crass to me and I'm guessing would've been met with equal animosity about the gall of demanding final approval of what you serve.
Sorry, but if you care that much, double check that I think about what I'm cooking with. If we're actual friends it's not like it would be an awkward conversation to have. If we're not actual friends, don't trust me to do it perfectly, and figure out something else for dinner that night. You're probably obnoxious anyways, and you don't trust me, so I'd rather not have you eat my food.
Haha, wow. Because requesting a full ingredient list wouldn't be demanding or anything. You knew that your friend was veggie, enough to even come here and post asking for suggestions about accomodating, so why are you suddenly acting like it wasn't your role as host to make sure there was a veggie option?
Of course it was my role, and I tried, but something slipped my mind. You're the one that went on a little diatribe about how people like me annoy you...I just posted it as a random story, I wasn't looking for an argument about it. And now I'm just trying to explain myself to show that you don't have to be a moron to let something like this get past you while cooking. Obviously I did make a mistake, I just don't think it's reasonable for you to get all crazy about it.
By the way, anyone that isn't "militant" about being vegetarian shouldn't call themselves vegetarian, because it makes life harder for those of us who actually mean it when we say we don't eat fish/meat etc. And it may be "my problem, not yours" when I insist that my food doesn't contain fish/meat, but the same applies to someone with a peanut allergy, or lactose intolerance - it's their problem not yours, but as the host it's your job to accomodate them, like Skeleton Jelly said. If you can't be bothered to come up with an option for a specific dietary requirement, don't invite that person next time. You're the asshole for inviting them and then feeding them something unsuitable, not them for accepting your invitation.
I'm pretty sure that in this entire situation, you're the only one being an asshole. Honestly, cry me a fucking river...once in a while something having to do with meat is going to make its way in your mouth. Thank god I'm apparently good enough at picking friends to have the few vegetarian/vegans be able to laugh at stuff like this. You know why they can laugh about it? Because it's nothing like a peanut allergy, and they don't have gigantic sticks up their tight asses. (too much?)
I had a veg come to thanksgiving dinner once, who told me she really missed stuffing, so i made a dish on the side (because i don't care what people say, stuffing the bird is the way to go). she loved that i made her a veg stuffing and ate the whole thing, telling me it was the best stuffing she'd ever had. as we digested our meals on the sofa, she asked how i made it. "well you see you take some bread, and you season it, blah blah, add a pound of chopped bacon, and cook!..... wait, shit, i, oh....."
Well I hope she stomped all over your nuts after realizing you made such a terrible mistake.Edit: For the record, I've said all I've had to say about this...I don't want to keep ruining this thread with such a dumbassical argument.
Edit: For the record, I've said all I've had to say about this...I don't want to keep ruining this thread with such a dumbassical argument.
Then don't come back 4 days after everyone has said what they wanted to say and dredge it all up again.

I don't have a stove, but I do most of my cooking in one of thesehttp://www.amazon.com/Fusion-Commercial-Pi...s/dp/B001CJR0X8... and one of these...http://www.amazon.com/George-Foreman-Speci...2136&sr=1-6... and one of these...http://www.amazon.com/Sharp-R-230KK-800-Wa...2174&sr=1-6... and one of these...http://www.amazon.com/Kalorik-JK-19967-150...2206&sr=1-6.... and one of these...http://www.amazon.com/Kalorik-JK-19967-150...2206&sr=1-6So, I could've just as easily paid $50 for a used gas stove off craigslist and had one item that did all of these things, but gas isn't included in my rent and I would've had to get a utility bill in my name, which is what the man uses to track you... and I'm too lazy to move a stove up the stairs.So, my kitchen counter looks like an Asian gadget convention.

I don't have a stove, but I do most of my cooking in one of these (exact same thing only unbranded, $29 Black Friday blowout at Mendards)21aakfK1T8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg... and one of these (free from bank when ex girlfriend opened an account)...31nK%20jBKOmL._SL500_AA300_.jpg... and one of these (found in garbage)...41AMES07R5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg... and one of these (wal-mart)...41TwZH88ATL._SL500_AA300_.jpg.... and one of these ($9.99 Clearance Rack at Aldi)..31S4-JoT-DL._AA300_.jpgCould've just as easily paid $50 for a used gas stove off craigslist and had one item that did all of these things, but gas isn't included in my rent and I would've had to get a utility bill in my name, which is what the man uses to track you... and I'm too lazy to move a stove up the stairs.So, my kitchen counter looks like an Taiwanese inventors convention.

So, my kitchen counter looks like an Asian gadget convention.
From what you've told us, you have a lot of "stuff." Is your apartment completely overflowing? Is it frightening? Do we need to do an episode of hoarders about you?
From what you've told us, you have a lot of "stuff." Is your apartment completely overflowing? Is it frightening? Do we need to do an episode of hoarders about you?
Not Hoarders bad, but it's pretty bad, yeah. Everything is organized, though, plus I have the attic for storage and a spare bedroom packed to the rafters that is used as an ebay depot. Unlike Hoarders, most of my stuff is 'inventory' that eventually flows outward once I lose interest in it. Since I only buy way cheap, I almost always make money.
Sorry, but if you care that much, double check that I think about what I'm cooking with. If we're actual friends it's not like it would be an awkward conversation to have.
Veg: Hey, thanks for making dinner for all of us.speedz: You're welcome; I like cooking.Veg: Yeah.Veg: Fucking Red Sox, right?speedz: Tell me about it.Veg: Hey, so listen, you know I'm a vegetarian, right?speedz: Well I've only known you for five years, but I'm pretty sure I heard that somewhere. You know, once or twice.Veg: Ok, cool, just wanted to make sure.speedz: No problem.Veg: So, um, is there any meat in there?speedz: What? No. I mean...I just said I knew you were a vegetarian.Veg: I know, but...you can't be too careful.speedz: Alright, but come on, there's no meat.Veg: I see you're making some kind of soup. A lot of people sprinkle bacon on that.speedz: I like to, but I won't do that this time.Veg: Yeah, because I don't eat meat, even if it's in little pieces.speedz: Right.Veg: What about meat products? Any of that in there?speedz: What?Veg: Well I'm a vegetarian, so I don't eat any meat stuff.speedz: Get out of my kitchen.
Veg: Hey, thanks for making dinner for all of us.speedz: You're welcome; I like cooking.Veg: Yeah.Veg: Fucking Red Sox, right?speedz: Tell me about it.Veg: Hey, so listen, you know I'm a vegetarian, right?speedz: Well I've only known you for five years, but I'm pretty sure I heard that somewhere. You know, once or twice.Veg: Ok, cool, just wanted to make sure.speedz: No problem.Veg: So, um, is there any meat in there?speedz: What? No. I mean...I just said I knew you were a vegetarian.Veg: I know, but...you can't be too careful.speedz: Alright, but come on, there's no meat.Veg: I see you're making some kind of soup. A lot of people sprinkle bacon on that.speedz: I like to, but I won't do that this time.Veg: Yeah, because I don't eat meat, even if it's in little pieces.speedz: Right.Veg: What about meat products? Any of that in there?speedz: What?Veg: Well I'm a vegetarian, so I don't eat any meat stuff.speedz: Get out of my kitchen.
That Veg sure sounds like a douchebag.
That Veg sure sounds like a douchebag.
What do you think the moral of my story is?I mean, assuming I had a moral.Really I just wanted to convey what I imagined when speedz offered his solution.
I don't have a stove, but I do most of my cooking in one of thesehttp://www.amazon.com/Fusion-Commercial-Pi...s/dp/B001CJR0X8... and one of these...http://www.amazon.com/George-Foreman-Speci...2136&sr=1-6... and one of these...http://www.amazon.com/Sharp-R-230KK-800-Wa...2174&sr=1-6... and one of these...http://www.amazon.com/Kalorik-JK-19967-150...2206&sr=1-6.... and one of these...http://www.amazon.com/Kalorik-JK-19967-150...2206&sr=1-6So, I could've just as easily paid $50 for a used gas stove off craigslist and had one item that did all of these things, but gas isn't included in my rent and I would've had to get a utility bill in my name, which is what the man uses to track you... and I'm too lazy to move a stove up the stairs.So, my kitchen counter looks like an Asian gadget convention.
I don't have a stove, but I do most of my cooking in one of these (exact same thing only unbranded, $29 Black Friday blowout at Mendards)21aakfK1T8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg... and one of these (free from bank when ex girlfriend opened an account)...31nK%20jBKOmL._SL500_AA300_.jpg... and one of these (found in garbage)...41AMES07R5L._SL500_AA300_.jpg... and one of these (wal-mart)...41TwZH88ATL._SL500_AA300_.jpg.... and one of these ($9.99 Clearance Rack at Aldi)..31S4-JoT-DL._AA300_.jpgCould've just as easily paid $50 for a used gas stove off craigslist and had one item that did all of these things, but gas isn't included in my rent and I would've had to get a utility bill in my name, which is what the man uses to track you... and I'm too lazy to move a stove up the stairs.So, my kitchen counter looks like an Taiwanese inventors convention.
Scram's posts remind me of one of these:spot_the_difference.png
does it make it more or less weird that she was a former sex worker?
More, if you hired her.
Veg: Hey, thanks for making dinner for all of us.speedz: You're welcome; I like cooking.Veg: Yeah.Veg: Fucking Red Sox, right?speedz: Tell me about it.Veg: Hey, so listen, you know I'm a vegetarian, right?speedz: Well I've only known you for five years, but I'm pretty sure I heard that somewhere. You know, once or twice.Veg: Ok, cool, just wanted to make sure.speedz: No problem.Veg: So, um, is there any meat in there?speedz: What? No. I mean...I just said I knew you were a vegetarian.Veg: I know, but...you can't be too careful.speedz: Alright, but come on, there's no meat.Veg: I see you're making some kind of soup. A lot of people sprinkle bacon on that.speedz: I like to, but I won't do that this time.Veg: Yeah, because I don't eat meat, even if it's in little pieces.speedz: Right.Veg: What about meat products? Any of that in there?speedz: What?Veg: Well I'm a vegetarian, so I don't eat any meat stuff.speedz: [reluctantly tucks back in, zips up fly] Get out of my kitchen.
FYP
For one thing I didn't "choose", I've been raised vegetarian since birth and even the smell of meat/fish is enough to make me heave.For another thing, what difference does it make if it's a choice or not? You should still be respecting my dietary requirement regardless of it's origin. If you are vegetarian it is a serious requirement and should be treated with more respect than a simple preference. I don't like olives but I will happily just pick them off if they come on a pizza. The same isn't the case with meat or fish - I can't eat something that contains or has come into contact with it. It makes me physically sick.
really surprised things didn't work out between you and ronald mcgeoffrey
really surprised things didn't work out between you and ronald mcgeoffrey
I don't know how much he complained to his friends/you about it behind my back, but he was always totally awesome and understanding with me.
I don't know how much he complained to his friends/you about it behind my back, but he was always totally awesome and understanding with me.
nah, he never complained. just find your polar opposite diets amusing.
nah, he never complained. just find your polar opposite diets amusing.
I put on a stone (14lbs) + during my year abroad in Kansas.Since I came back to England I have lost it all and then some, without really trying or dieting/exercising much.

Today I made a dish from a recipe book. It was soba noodles with toasted sesame seeds. The problem I had is that it asked for minced garlic in the sauce/liquid which wasn't cooked. So, I made it according to the book and it came out quite strong of raw garlic which is now lingering in my mouth.How do you guys deal with recipes asking for raw garlic to avoid this unpleasantness?

Today I made a dish from a recipe book. It was soba noodles with toasted sesame seeds. The problem I had is that it asked for minced garlic in the sauce/liquid which wasn't cooked. So, I made it according to the book and it came out quite strong of raw garlic which is now lingering in my mouth.How do you guys deal with recipes asking for raw garlic to avoid this unpleasantness?
1. Slice/dice the garlic, sautee it and then add it.2. The wife has bought diced cooked garlic which we will add. Obv, fresh is bessstsss.
1. Slice/dice the garlic, sautee it and then add it.2. The wife has bought diced cooked garlic which we will add. Obv, fresh is bessstsss.
Call me an asshole, but I'm pretty sure that LG already thought of "cook it".