she supports creationism and supports it being taught in school, this much she has said herself. true believers of that nonsense always want it taught in school, obviously, becuase its what they believe is true and want it taught to their kids. not all of this "scientific fact" garbage.separation of church and state is a fundamental belief of free societies, far right religious fundamentalists like palin are completely against it in their actions and words. the bible is NOT the basis of our moral and ethical code. our intelligence is where our complex emotions such as compassion and love and hate come from. what you and religious people fail to realize is that these morals are a natural part of us, an evolved ability. we didnt learn our emotions and ethics and morals from some book. i didnt and i have them.intelligence. our intelligence is what gives us everything we have. not some ****ing book. human intelligence invented cures for diseases and advanced medical treatments, higher standard of living and increased tolerance of other peoples. it even wrote the bible, but that was thousands of years ago, when intelligence wasnt so high. these religious right politicians are against all of that. christianity is a method of control, a suppressor of human spirit and individuality. a laugh in the face of all of the amazing things we have archived through science. no original thoughts? how about the fact that i can see through this religion joke, and the politicians who uphold it in the government. the truth is that christianity has a history of trying to hold down original thoughts. like the sun being the center of the universe and now evolution and the big bang, two theories proven to be fact as much as anything possibly can be. i am not the one in need of original thinking.
atheists....the "Debbie Downers" of society lol.
  • Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

she supports creationism and supports it being taught in school, this much she has said herself. true believers of that nonsense always want it taught in school, obviously, becuase its what they believe is true and want it taught to their kids. not all of this "scientific fact" garbage.separation of church and state is a fundamental belief of free societies, far right religious fundamentalists like palin are completely against it in their actions and words. the bible is NOT the basis of our moral and ethical code. our intelligence is where our complex emotions such as compassion and love and hate come from. what you and religious people fail to realize is that these morals are a natural part of us, an evolved ability. we didnt learn our emotions and ethics and morals from some book. i didnt and i have them.intelligence. our intelligence is what gives us everything we have. not some ****ing book. human intelligence invented cures for diseases and advanced medical treatments, higher standard of living and increased tolerance of other peoples. it even wrote the bible, but that was thousands of years ago, when intelligence wasnt so high. these religious right politicians are against all of that. christianity is a method of control, a suppressor of human spirit and individuality. a laugh in the face of all of the amazing things we have archived through science. no original thoughts? how about the fact that i can see through this religion joke, and the politicians who uphold it in the government. the truth is that christianity has a history of trying to hold down original thoughts. like the sun being the center of the universe and now evolution and the big bang, two theories proven to be fact as much as anything possibly can be. i am not the one in need of original thinking.
When asked during a televised debate in 2006 about evolution and creationism, Palin said, according to the Anchorage Daily News: "Teach both. You know, don't be afraid of information. Healthy debate is so important, and it's so valuable in our schools. I am a proponent of teaching both."From Factcheck.org: Palin has not pushed for teaching creationism in Alaska's schools. She has said that students should be allowed to "debate both sides" of the evolution question, but she also said creationism "doesn't have to be part of the curriculum."

It's pretty important that you guys actually come up with things that Palin DID 'incorrectly' in Alaska... otherwise you're just fear mongering.

It's pretty important that you guys actually come up with things that Palin DID 'incorrectly' in Alaska... otherwise you're just fear mongering.
Exactly - BrvHeart you have written exrtremly well in these debates.. Thanks
When asked during a televised debate in 2006 about evolution and creationism, Palin said, according to the Anchorage Daily News: "Teach both. You know, don't be afraid of information. Healthy debate is so important, and it's so valuable in our schools. I am a proponent of teaching both."From Factcheck.org: Palin has not pushed for teaching creationism in Alaska's schools. She has said that students should be allowed to "debate both sides" of the evolution question, but she also said creationism "doesn't have to be part of the curriculum."
Well isn't that dandy? I hope she advocates for the teaching of alternatives to heliocentrism also. You know, so that the kids hear both sides of the "debate."

My apologies to Sarah Palin. It turns out my criticism of her fumbling the "Bush Doctrine" question was unfounded. I fell into the trap of trusting CG to frame a fair question, and his clarification of "the Bush Doctrine" made sense.Only one problem. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS THE BUSH DOCTRINE. He had his definition in this interview, he used a different definition in the Obama interview, and Obama himself used a third definition in a debate vs. Clinton, when he defined it as "not being willing to sit down with foreign leaders without preconditions".There is no reason for her to have understood his question as stated, and her respones "with regard to what" was perfectly appropriate.

Well isn't that dandy? I hope she advocates for the teaching of alternatives to heliocentrism also. You know, so that the kids hear both sides of the "debate."
Well I am up for hearing about an argument for geocentrismDoesnt mean it is right.. but you should be aloowed to debate?
Geocentrism is already taught in schools in courses on the history of science and the scientific method. Thank you for supporting SPs point.
Geocentrism is already taught in schools in courses on the history of science and the scientific method. Thank you for supporting SPs point.
You know that's not what wanting creationism in school is all about. No advocate of creationism in school wants it simply mentioned as a folly of the past. They want it discussed as a scientific theory, which it isn't. For me, it's bad enough for Palin to believe in creationism, rest aside the issue of whether she wants it in school.
Ha! Touche. It is nice to see that you still have a sense of humor about this stuff.
Exactly. This is her view of a perfect world... not what she did WHEN SHE WAS ACTUALLY RUNNING THE STATE!Don't be confused by the Title of the article (media bias)... it's not what she tried to enforce.
watyou do realize that the governors of states don't actually write educational curricula, right? and that we can really only evaluate their views on these curricula based on, like, stuff they say about how and what kids should be learning? when an english speaking person reads that quote, it ought to be quite clear to them that palin thinks that creationism should be taught in schools alongside science, as if they are the same thing. you know, because that is what she says, and that is how language conveys information from one person to another. i should hope that while she was governor, she had a few other things to do besides overstepping her grounds in terms of her duties as governor.personally, i find it altogether frightening when people that have more power than--say, me--actually believe that science and religion are the same thing. you know, because they're not. i'm all for teaching religion in public schools, but to suggest that creationism is even in a debate with evolution profoundly misunderstands either what religion is (which is, i suppose, a belief system or something like that) or what science is (a methodology). i'm of the firm opinion that comparative world religion should be taught to all students from a very early age, but NOT that it should ever be presented as the same thing as science. again, because it is simply not the same thing as science. fwiw, i think most fairly intelligent people can see why doing so would harm the american science curriculum even further while it is falling so far behind the rest of the world.to be quite clear about this, since i don't think you really get what (at least i, and i believe don, although i'm not trying to speak for him currently) really bothers me about any fundamentalist christian (or muslim, or any fundamentalist at all) being in office, whether they are republican, democrat or otherwise. unless they're going to specifically address the way that they think (er, don't think) a personal religion should inform the manner in which they make policy decisions (an example of what i mean by this is here), i have no problem declaring them utterly unfit to hold public office in a country with a secular constitution like our own. until palin does something like this--and, indeed, the onus is on HER, not me, to make this information publicly available--i will say absolutely and completely self-assuredly that she is unfit for office. i would, and did, say the same thing of bush in 2000 and 2004, and i would have said the same thing of jimmy carter and barack obama had they not both explicitly cast their views in terms of a universally american value system.palin, by contrast to the latter two figures, has said multiple times in public venues that she either does or wishes public policy to be backed by the will of (her, i assume) god. good, old-fashioned, and simple googling and/or you tube searching will find you these quotations, in context. personally, i would prefer that public policy be backed by the will of the people, but maybe that's just me.
palin, by contrast to the latter two figures, has said multiple times in public venues that she either does or wishes public policy to be backed by the will of (her, i assume) god. good, old-fashioned, and simple googling and/or you tube searching will find you these quotations, in context. personally, i would prefer that public policy be backed by the will of the people, but maybe that's just me.
And Obama said that "I pray that Im an instrument of God's will". I assume that frightens you as much or more, since he's bringing gods plan onto himself, not the country as a whole.France must be looking better every day. Au Revior, Monsieur Checky
And Obama said that "I pray that Im an instrument of God's will". I assume that frightens you as much or more, since he's bringing gods plan onto himself, not the country as a whole.France must be looking better every day. Au Revior, Monsieur Checky
you and that context problem again. this is from an interview with dan gilgoff of beliefnet.Is it difficult in the rough and tumble of campaign politics to stick to that, to live out your faith? And can you talk about whether you have a favorite prayer or what you pray about? The prayer that I tell myself every night is a fairly simple one: I ask in the name of Jesus Christ that my sins are forgiven, that my family is protected and that I am an instrument of God's will. I'm constantly trying to align myself to what I think he calls on me to do. And sometimes you hear it strongly and sometimes that voice is more muted. In terms of on the political trail, I don't find it challenging to be respectful and courteous to people, including my political opponents. You know, the Golden Rule still applies in politics. I do think that being a Christian doesn't mean that you're passive or that you aren't going to confront injustice. What I think is important, though, and is important not just for me, but also for my team—I'm trying to always reinforce this within the culture of our organization, and I'm not always perfectly successful—is to at least be scrupulous and honest in how we present our disagreements with other people. I try to measure whether what I'm saying is fair by seeing how I would feel if I was at the receiving end of it. And, you know, there are a number of people—there have been a number of times where I've been criticized during the course of this campaign. And I say to myself, “Well, that's a fair criticism in the sense that I may disagree with the criticism, but it's substantive and there's a legitimate difference of opinion.” There are other times where I feel as if people are just distorting what I say to score cheap political points. And that gets you frustrated or weary or occasionally angry. And so, I try not to do that to other people. and the palin address, in full, is here http://irregulartimes.com/index.php/archiv...wasilla-alaska/here are some paragraphs that you might want to compare and contrast, you know, like you do in 3rd grade essays, with the above (emphasis mine, obviously):But I can do my job there in developing natural resources and doing things like getting the roads paved and making sure our troopers have their cop cars and their uniforms and their guns and making sure our public schools are funded, but really all of that stuff doesn’t do any good if the people of Alaska’s heart isn’t right with God. And that’s going to be your job. As I’m doing my job, let’s strike this deal, your job is to going to be to be out there reaching the people, hurting people throughout Alaska, and we can work together to make sure that God’s will be done here....It [this important thing i am trying to impart today] was called Ephesians 1:17, and this is what I want to pray over you guys too: that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of Glory, may give to you a spirit wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of him, and that spirit of revelation also including a spirit of prophecy, that God’s going to tell you what is going on and what is going to go on, and you guys are going to have that within you, and it’s just going to bubble up and bubble over and, and it’s going to pour out over the state of Alaska. Again, good good things in store for the state of Alaska. Let us pray for God’s will to be done here, for all of your destinies to be met in this state.i should hope that your average third grader could tell the difference, but i can expound if necessary. i expect it will be.

Checky its been said before, but she never attempted to bring any legislation to have religion taught in schools. If she want her children to learn religion in school she can send them to St. Jospehs, Jesuit or something like that, like millions of other americans do.

Checky its been said before, but she never attempted to bring any legislation to have religion taught in schools. If she want her children to learn religion in school she can send them to St. Jospehs, Jesuit or something like that, like millions of other americans do.
as i said before, the actual legislating part (which would never pass in most states in this country, and anyone with half a brain wouldn't try to pass it anyway--as to alaska specifically, i'm not sure) isn't what bothers me. what bothers me, ultimately (and of this the creationism quote is merely an indicator), is that people in power actually think that they are more beholden to do god's will as they interpret it than they are to enact the will of the people. with cuomo, carter (although to a lesser extent with him), and obama, this is not a real worry, as one can discern from the actual words coming out of their mouth. with palin, as with bush, this is not the case.tbh, i really hope that she is able to make a similar speech to cuomo's or carter's inaugural address, or uses inclusive language similar to obama's thus far in the campaign, so that i don't have to literally fear her getting into office the way that i did GW bush (it's worth saying that i did not think this about his father).

Do you actually believe what you say?Basically you are saying you think Obama is lying about his faith, which then makes him a liar, but somehow that is ok to you. Palin does not lie, but because she has faith and talks about it, she cannot be trusted.Conundrum of sorts?

you and that context problem again. this is from an interview with dan gilgoff of beliefnet.Is it difficult in the rough and tumble of campaign politics to stick to that, to live out your faith? And can you talk about whether you have a favorite prayer or what you pray about?The prayer that I tell myself every night is a fairly simple one: I ask in the name of Jesus Christ that my sins are forgiven, that my family is protected and that I am an instrument of God's will. I'm constantly trying to align myself to what I think he calls on me to do. And sometimes you hear it strongly and sometimes that voice is more muted. In terms of on the political trail, I don't find it challenging to be respectful and courteous to people, including my political opponents. You know, the Golden Rule still applies in politics. I do think that being a Christian doesn't mean that you're passive or that you aren't going to confront injustice. What I think is important, though, and is important not just for me, but also for my team—I'm trying to always reinforce this within the culture of our organization, and I'm not always perfectly successful—is to at least be scrupulous and honest in how we present our disagreements with other people. I try to measure whether what I'm saying is fair by seeing how I would feel if I was at the receiving end of it. And, you know, there are a number of people—there have been a number of times where I've been criticized during the course of this campaign. And I say to myself, “Well, that's a fair criticism in the sense that I may disagree with the criticism, but it's substantive and there's a legitimate difference of opinion.” There are other times where I feel as if people are just distorting what I say to score cheap political points. And that gets you frustrated or weary or occasionally angry. And so, I try not to do that to other people. and the palin address, in full, is here http://irregulartimes.com/index.php/archiv...wasilla-alaska/here are some paragraphs that you might want to compare and contrast, you know, like you do in 3rd grade essays, with the above (emphasis mine, obviously):But I can do my job there in developing natural resources and doing things like getting the roads paved and making sure our troopers have their cop cars and their uniforms and their guns and making sure our public schools are funded, but really all of that stuff doesn’t do any good if the people of Alaska’s heart isn’t right with God. And that’s going to be your job. As I’m doing my job, let’s strike this deal, your job is to going to be to be out there reaching the people, hurting people throughout Alaska, and we can work together to make sure that God’s will be done here....It [this important thing i am trying to impart today] was called Ephesians 1:17, and this is what I want to pray over you guys too: that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of Glory, may give to you a spirit wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of him, and that spirit of revelation also including a spirit of prophecy, that God’s going to tell you what is going on and what is going to go on, and you guys are going to have that within you, and it’s just going to bubble up and bubble over and, and it’s going to pour out over the state of Alaska. Again, good good things in store for the state of Alaska. Let us pray for God’s will to be done here, for all of your destinies to be met in this state.i should hope that your average third grader could tell the difference, but i can expound if necessary. i expect it will be.
Putting Obamas quote "in context" did nothing to change its meaning, and the difference is in degrees...and his is worse.

Ok, so I watched and I don't think any of you will be surprised when I say that I didn't like what I heard. She scares me. She really scares me. If something happened to McCain and she would be the one talking to Putin, and other world leaders that would genuinely bother me. Just when I was getting to the point where I was thinking, "Meh, if Obama doesn't win McCain is probably a better choice than some of the other Republicans who could have won." I was getting to that point, but Palin changed everything for me as it has for many conservatives the other way around I guess. If she were in charge of the most powerful nation in the world I would not feel safe. I'd feel safer with either McCain, Obama, or Biden, but not her, no way. Listening to her speak, I just didn't feel like she really knew what she was talking about. She did a good job of memorizing her talking points, but at the core I felt like she was thinking, "What in the world have I gotten myself into? I'm not prepared for this. I hope McCain doesn't die." I don't sense that fear in McCain, Obama, or Biden. I thought the interviewer was brutal to her actually. I thought it was clear that he didn't really like her and he was grilling her pretty hard in a very condescending manner that was uncalled for. He came off as just being rude. Having said that, it annoyed me to no end when she wouldn't answer a question that he asked three times. She said something to the effect of, "American has to keep all of its options available and do whatever it takes to defend this country." By saying that, I gathered that she was essentially saying that with or without the Pakistani governments approval she would cross their border. I get that much. But that's not what he asked exactly. The third time he asked the question he emphasized the word RIGHT when asking, "So do you think we have the RIGHT to do that?" She never answered that question and the truth is that I don't think she knew the answer to it. Even at the end of their walk in talking about drilling she scared me even more implying that she'd work on McCain to get him to agree with her. That's not the kind of relationship I'd like to see if McCain is elected. This whole thing feels a bit like a practical joke or a far fetched Disney film. It really does. Lots of drama, lots of laughs and really good theater... but man, what if she actually does take over this country? Wow, if McCain does win then I'll be praying for his health to hold up on a daily basis, that much is for sure. I don't like anything about her... I honestly don't. I am trying to think of something I can honestly say I like about her as VP of this country and I'm totally stumped. Not a thing comes to mind. She has nice teeth?

Do you actually believe what you say?Basically you are saying you think Obama is lying about his faith, which then makes him a liar, but somehow that is ok to you. Palin does not lie, but because she has faith and talks about it, she cannot be trusted.Conundrum of sorts?
no, i believe that one can be religious and not fundamentalist, or that one can be religious and fundamentalist. i do not find this a difficult distinction to discern.it has nothing to do with lying--it has to do with acknowledging that an elected official must be able to represent and understand those who feel differently than he or she may feel. inclusive language and speeches like obama's, cuomo's, bush I's, and carter's indicate this. palin may or may not get there at some point. i hope she does just in case she gets elected.
as i said before, the actual legislating part (which would never pass in most states in this country, and anyone with half a brain wouldn't try to pass it anyway--as to alaska specifically, i'm not sure) isn't what bothers me. what bothers me, ultimately (and of this the creationism quote is merely an indicator), is that people in power actually think that they are more beholden to do god's will as they interpret it than they are to enact the will of the people. with cuomo, carter (although to a lesser extent with him), and obama, this is not a real worry, as one can discern from the actual words coming out of their mouth. with palin, as with bush, this is not the case.tbh, i really hope that she is able to make a similar speech to cuomo's or carter's inaugural address, or uses inclusive language similar to obama's thus far in the campaign, so that i don't have to literally fear her getting into office the way that i did GW bush (it's worth saying that i did not think this about his father).
Utter bullshit. Show one law Federal law or any law that Palin signed or supported where "gods will" superseded the "will of the people" Youre getting worse than Daniel.
I don't like anything about her... I honestly don't. I am trying to think of something I can honestly say I like about her as VP of this country and I'm totally stumped. Not a thing comes to mind. She has nice teeth?
She likes hockey
Putting Obamas quote "in context" did nothing to change its meaning, and the difference is in degrees...and his is worse.
did you seriously pass third grade reading comprehension?obama says:I do think that being a Christian doesn't mean that you're passive or that you aren't going to confront injustice. What I think is important, though, and is important not just for me, but also for my team—I'm trying to always reinforce this within the culture of our organization, and I'm not always perfectly successful—is to at least be scrupulous and honest in how we present our disagreements with other people.palin says:But I can do my job there in developing natural resources and doing things like getting the roads paved and making sure our troopers have their cop cars and their uniforms and their guns and making sure our public schools are funded, but really all of that stuff doesn’t do any good if the people of Alaska’s heart isn’t right with God.if we took the names off, i find it lol-hard to believe that you would continue to argue thusly.

Watching the Palin interview right now on 20/20.So far, pretty fair, I guess. Charlie looks and acts a bit like a pissed off school principal, but ok. fair enough.I don't like the way they edited this interview though. When Obama faced off with O'Reilly his main condition was that they do it and show the whole thing UN edited. I wish Palin had done the same thing.So far, I think she is holding her own as well as can be expected.