Z O M G - P A L I N ! ! !

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did Palin talk about how she though her daughter should have had anal sex to avoid gettin gpreggo?
Well said, it got many people through college!!!!

Fact check on aisle five! I got it!!! (I love Family Guy)(Political Animal) Factchecking PalinI thought Palin's speech was quite good: well-written, well delivered. And, as I said earlier, I think she's a genuinely engaging person, and comes across very well. There were just a couple of problems. One, which I have seen people notice, but which I suspect won't be a big deal for a lot of voters, is that it had very little substance. The other, which the commenters I saw on TV for some reason neglected to mention, was that she told a lot of lies. A few that stood out for me, or that I spotted in my quick run-through of some blogs:Palin: "To the families of special-needs children all across this country, I have a message: For years, you sought to make America a more welcoming place for your sons and daughters. I pledge to you that if we are elected, you will have a friend and advocate in the White House."Sarah Palin might have changed her mind on this one recently. However, a comment here notes that Palin actually slashed funding for schools for special needs kids by 62%. Budgets: FY 2007 (pre-Palin), 2008, 2009 (all pdfs).Palin: "As for my running mate, you can be certain that wherever he goes, and whoever is listening, John McCain is the same man."Steve's list of McCain flip-flops is here. See for yourself whether constancy is, in fact, John McCain's middle name.Palin: "I told the Congress "thanks, but no thanks," for that Bridge to Nowhere. If our state wanted a bridge, we'd build it ourselves."Just to reiterate what others have said: Congress' requirement that funds be spent on that bridge (aka the 'earmark') were removed before Sarah Palin became governor. She was therefore in no position to tell Congress anything about the bridge, one way or the other. During her campaign, she said she supported funding for the bridge. Brad Plumer, citing the Anchorage Dialy News via Nexis:"5. Would you continue state funding for the proposed Knik Arm and Gravina Island bridges?Yes. I would like to see Alaska's infrastructure projects built sooner rather than later. The window is now--while our congressional delegation is in a strong position to assist."Later, she accepted the money -- now not restricted by an earmark -- and used it for other infrastructure projects. Here's her statement about why she wasn't building the bridge (also via Plumer.) Decide for yourselves what role a principled opposition to earmark funding plays in it. Hint: here's what residents of Ketchikan AK said when they heard her recent remarks:"In the city Ketchikan, the planned site of the so-called "Bridge to Nowhere," political leaders of both parties said the claim was false and a betrayal of their community, because she had supported the bridge and the earmark for it secured by Alaska's Congressional delegation during her run for governor. (..)"People are learning that she pandered to us by saying, I'm for this' ... and then when she found it was politically advantageous for her nationally, abruptly she starts using the very term that she said was insulting," Weinstein said."Palin: "But listening to him speak, it's easy to forget that this is a man who has authored two memoirs but not a single major law or reform - not even in the state senate."Ha, ha, ha. I gave a rundown of Obama's accomplishments in the Senate here. They include the Lugar-Obama bill on nonproliferation, and an ethics reform package that the Washington Post called "the strongest ethics legislation to emerge from Congress yet." Ruth Marcus summarizes his record on reform:"He helped pass a far-reaching ethics and campaign finance bill in the Illinois state Senate and made the issue a priority on arriving in Washington. Much to the displeasure of his colleagues, Obama promoted an outside commission to handle Senate ethics complaints. He co-authored the lobbying reform bill awaiting President Bush's signature and pushed -- again to the dismay of some colleagues -- to include a provision requiring lawmakers to report the names of their lobbyist-bundlers. He has co-sponsored bills to overhaul the presidential public financing system and public financing of Senate campaigns."Not a single major law or reform, indeed.And I wasn't aware that writing memoirs was something to be ashamed of. Obama has, in fact, written only one. McCain (with Mark Salter) has written at least two.Palin: "America needs more energy ... our opponent is against producing it."No -- he plans to develop a lot more energy than John McCain does. It's just that a lot of it is renewable, not carbon-based. Moreover, Obama hasn't skipped the last eight votes on renewable energy.Palin: "The Democratic nominee for president supports plans to raise income taxes ... raise payroll taxes ... raise investment income taxes ... raise the death tax ... raise business taxes ... and increase the tax burden on the American people by hundreds of billions of dollars. My sister Heather and her husband have just built a service station that's now opened for business - like millions of others who run small businesses. How are they going to be any better off if taxes go up?"Well, it all depends whose taxes go up, doesn't it? If Heather and her husband make less than $250,000, their taxes will not go up. Most Americans will pay less in taxes under Obama's plan than under McCain's. So they might well be better off.Those are just the falsehoods that leapt to mind. I'm sure there are others. Whether or not Sarah Palin's engaging personality matters more than the fact that she tells lies depends a lot on the media, and whether they allow her to say that she opposed the Bridge to Nowhere, or that Obama has neer authored a major law or reform, without calling her on it. I hope they do. But I'm not holding my breath.

Her speech was good.Disturbingly lacking in cleavage, but not bad for a woman.(good thing speeches don't involve math or science!)
Guess you haven't checked into headquarters today. Word from Obama camp, tone down the Rhetoric and Sexism we have a problem here. If you don't believe me check in at headquarters.30 million people watched the speech, a record for a VP Candidate.By the way, she gave half her speech with out a teleprompter. Try that Barack, right.As far as a speech without substance, defined herself well and threw some great straight hard jabs.
Fact check on aisle five! I got it!!! (I love Family Guy)(Political Animal) Factchecking PalinI thought Palin's speech was quite good: well-written, well delivered. And, as I said earlier, I think she's a genuinely engaging person, and comes across very well. There were just a couple of problems. One, which I have seen people notice, but which I suspect won't be a big deal for a lot of voters, is that it had very little substance. The other, which the commenters I saw on TV for some reason neglected to mention, was that she told a lot of lies. A few that stood out for me, or that I spotted in my quick run-through of some blogs:Palin: "To the families of special-needs children all across this country, I have a message: For years, you sought to make America a more welcoming place for your sons and daughters. I pledge to you that if we are elected, you will have a friend and advocate in the White House."Sarah Palin might have changed her mind on this one recently. However, a comment here notes that Palin actually slashed funding for schools for special needs kids by 62%. Budgets: FY 2007 (pre-Palin), 2008, 2009 (all pdfs). I see. So if budgets werent reduced shes not a fiscal coservative and if budgets were reduced she didnt really mean her support for special needs kids. HINT TO THE WRITER: There is another alternative...that the schools were overfunded to start with and she was cutting waste.Palin: "As for my running mate, you can be certain that wherever he goes, and whoever is listening, John McCain is the same man."Steve's list of McCain flip-flops is here. See for yourself whether constancy is, in fact, John McCain's middle name. If you want to get into dueling flip flops Obama will lose, because his have been made, sometimes days apart, in order to pander to different audiences. McCains policy changes have come as a result of new information.Palin: "I told the Congress "thanks, but no thanks," for that Bridge to Nowhere. If our state wanted a bridge, we'd build it ourselves."Just to reiterate what others have said: Congress' requirement that funds be spent on that bridge (aka the 'earmark') were removed before Sarah Palin became governor. She was therefore in no position to tell Congress anything about the bridge, one way or the other. During her campaign, she said she supported funding for the bridge. Brad Plumer, citing the Anchorage Dialy News via Nexis:"5. Would you continue state funding for the proposed Knik Arm and Gravina Island bridges?Yes. I would like to see Alaska's infrastructure projects built sooner rather than later. The window is now--while our congressional delegation is in a strong position to assist."Later, she accepted the money -- now not restricted by an earmark -- and used it for other infrastructure projects. Here's her statement about why she wasn't building the bridge (also via Plumer.) Decide for yourselves what role a principled opposition to earmark funding plays in it. Hint: here's what residents of Ketchikan AK said when they heard her recent remarks:"In the city Ketchikan, the planned site of the so-called "Bridge to Nowhere," political leaders of both parties said the claim was false and a betrayal of their community, because she had supported the bridge and the earmark for it secured by Alaska's Congressional delegation during her run for governor. (..)"People are learning that she pandered to us by saying, I'm for this' ... and then when she found it was politically advantageous for her nationally, abruptly she starts using the very term that she said was insulting," Weinstein said."Ridiculous. She had absolutely no clue that she would be in the national spotlight when she changed her position. The timing has been discussed ad nauseum, and her change in position was due to the state budget surplus.Palin: "But listening to him speak, it's easy to forget that this is a man who has authored two memoirs but not a single major law or reform - not even in the state senate."Ha, ha, ha. I gave a rundown of Obama's accomplishments in the Senate here. They include the Lugar-Obama bill on nonproliferation, and an ethics reform package that the Washington Post called "the strongest ethics legislation to emerge from Congress yet." Ruth Marcus summarizes his record on reform:"He helped pass a far-reaching ethics and campaign finance bill in the Illinois state Senate and made the issue a priority on arriving in Washington. Much to the displeasure of his colleagues, Obama promoted an outside commission to handle Senate ethics complaints. He co-authored the lobbying reform bill awaiting President Bush's signature and pushed -- again to the dismay of some colleagues -- to include a provision requiring lawmakers to report the names of their lobbyist-bundlers. He has co-sponsored bills to overhaul the presidential public financing system and public financing of Senate campaigns."Not a single major law or reform, indeed. Depends on your definition of "major", now doesnt it. Co-sponsoring means nothing. Every bill has dozens of co-sponsors who do nothing more than say "put my name on the bill".And I wasn't aware that writing memoirs was something to be ashamed of. Obama has, in fact, written only one. McCain (with Mark Salter) has written at least two. Its nothing to be ashamed of and she didnt say it was. Of course, when you have nothing to say writing them in the first place is just ego.Palin: "America needs more energy ... our opponent is against producing it."No -- he plans to develop a lot more energy than John McCain does. It's just that a lot of it is renewable, not carbon-based. Moreover, Obama hasn't skipped the last eight votes on renewable energy. Were the resutls of the votes close? Would McCain have voted with the majority anyway? Palin: "The Democratic nominee for president supports plans to raise income taxes ... raise payroll taxes ... raise investment income taxes ... raise the death tax ... raise business taxes ... and increase the tax burden on the American people by hundreds of billions of dollars. My sister Heather and her husband have just built a service station that's now opened for business - like millions of others who run small businesses. How are they going to be any better off if taxes go up?"Well, it all depends whose taxes go up, doesn't it? If Heather and her husband make less than $250,000, their taxes will not go up. Most Americans will pay less in taxes under Obama's plan than under McCain's. So they might well be better off. Either the majority of all taxpayers will pay more of the promises he made cant be met. The bucket analogy from the other night was perfect as well. If you pull money out of one side of the bucket, it will eventually be pulled out of the other side of the bucket as well. Either BHO is lying about taxes, lying about the programs he will get passed, or is ignorant of economics. My guess is all 3.Those are just the falsehoods that leapt to mind. I'm sure there are others. Whether or not Sarah Palin's engaging personality matters more than the fact that she tells lies depends a lot on the media, and whether they allow her to say that she opposed the Bridge to Nowhere, or that Obama has neer authored a major law or reform, without calling her on it. I hope they do. But I'm not holding my breath.
Coming from the same people who rant that "Bush lied" without any basis to do so, this is typical yellow journalism and not worth the electrons that died transmitting it.
Guess you haven't checked into headquarters today. Word from Obama camp, tone down the Rhetoric and Sexism we have a problem here. If you don't believe me check in at headquarters.30 million people watched the speech, a record for a VP Candidate.By the way, she gave half her speech with out a teleprompter. Try that Barack, right.As far as a speech without substance, defined herself well and threw some great straight hard jabs.
yes she talked about herself personally and gushed about her family and how great small towns are. And she zinged Obama. If that is substance to you, hey fine. To me, that is fluff sprinkled with zingers (written by someone else).What on earth does using a tele-prompter have to do with anything? She will be well positioned to give a speech in case the terrorists destroy our tele-prompter supply?However, I agree the Dems have a huge problem. No matter how legit or justified their attacks are, they are not going to play well against a woman with such a great story. It's one thing to bash Hillary Clinton; most people quietly joke she has a penis and she has been around long enough to be fair game. Against Palin they come off as bullying and help her shine that "political outsider" image.I have not heard Obama say one thing about Palin that is remotely sexist. I would love for someone to just point out one instance of it.
Coming from the same people who rant that "Bush lied" without any basis to do so, this is typical yellow journalism and not worth the electrons that died transmitting it.
I thought it was a very good reply to some of the more outrageous claims she made. I actually doubt Obama would lose a flip flop contest....but that is a function of McCain being in the Senate for so long.And I love that it is ok for Palin/McCain to change their mind on an issue with new facts.....but god forbid John Kerry changed his mind about the Iraq War once he found out that fact that Iraq never had WMDs. Double standard much?
I thought it was a very good reply to some of the more outrageous claims she made. I actually doubt Obama would lose a flip flop contest....but that is a function of McCain being in the Senate for so long.And I love that it is ok for Palin to change her mind on an issue with new facts.....but god forbid John Kerry changed his mind about the Iraq War once he found out that fact that Iraq never had WMDs. Double standard much?
Odd that you should raise that since Kerry is on record as saying he still would have voted to go to war even if he knew there were no WMDs.
Odd that you should raise that since Kerry is on record as saying he still would have voted to go to war even if he knew there were no WMDs.
ugh, he said that? when? what a moron. well change that to Hillary or whatever other Dem got caught "flip-flopping" on Iraq. It's still a valid point.
yes she talked about herself personally and gushed about her family and how great small towns are. And she zinged Obama. If that is substance to you, hey fine. To me, that is fluff sprinkled with zingers (written by someone else).What on earth does using a tele-prompter have to do with anything? She will be well positioned to give a speech in case the terrorists destroy our tele-prompter supply?However, I agree the Dems have a huge problem. No matter how legit or justified their attacks are, they are not going to play well against a woman with such a great story. It's one thing to bash Hillary Clinton; most people quietly joke she has a penis and she has been around long enough to be fair game. Against Palin they come off as bullying and help her shine that "political outsider" image.I have not heard Obama say one thing about Palin that is remotely sexist. I would love for someone to just point out one instance of it.
I never said that. All I said was the Obama camp put out the word this morning telling supporters to tone it down.As far as the losing the telepromter, first major speech in front of 30 million people.........cool under pressure.
FYP
Nice change. I'll take McCain over Obama any day without a teleprompter. That's why Obama would not join McCain in town hall meetings. Obviously you have not seen Obama without a teleprompter........Brutal.
Nice change. I'll take McCain over Obama any day without a teleprompter. That's why Obama would not join McCain in town hall meetings. Obviously you have not seen Obama without a teleprompter........Brutal.
Have you seen George Bush with a tele-prompter? Now that is brutal. "Gynecologists are not being allowed to practice their love on woman all over the country..." :)And since prompter technology has really blossomed over the last few years, I can safely say that any President will have access to a prompter at anytime for any speech if he so chooses. So I am not sure what the point is.
FYP
Yet again, you obviously don't know what you're talking about. McCain is much better WITHOUT a teleprompter. Obama is the one that cannot speak to save is life without one. That's why McCain is great at the town hall style meetings and Obama is ducking them.
Have you seen George Bush with a tele-prompter? Now that is brutal. "Gynecologists are not being allowed to practice their love on woman all over the country..." :)And since prompter technology has really blossomed over the last few years, I can safely say that any President will have access to a prompter at anytime for any speech if he so chooses. So I am not sure what the point is.
First time on the big stage, she loses her teleprompter didn't miss a beat........think about it.
On an almost related note,
an example of a good Bostonian (or Massachusettsian). Yes I know you're a Republican and that is also why I linked that..If you don't know, that's our dude there - and I don't just mean that he used to be my rep (brag). He's the guy trying to legalize online poker.
I love that big gay liberal with all my heart. Obviously I would disagree with him on a lot of issues, but I have no doubts about his honesty or his devotion to this country.
First time on the big stage, she loses her teleprompter didn't miss a beat........think about it.
I guess I am not that impressed. You would hope someone you pick for VP could accomplish this. She isnt running for some random job. I think you are praising her strongly....when in reality she just exceeded your low expectations.
Yet again, you obviously don't know what you're talking about. McCain is much better WITHOUT a teleprompter. Obama is the one that cannot speak to save is life without one. That's why McCain is great at the town hall style meetings and Obama is ducking them.
Yup I have not watched hundreds of hours of speeches from candidates on both sides of the aisle. I have no idea what I am talking about.
I guess I am not that impressed. You would hope someone you pick for VP could accomplish this. She isnt running for some random job. I think you are praising her strongly....when in reality she just exceeded your low expectations.
No, I have very HIGH expectations for her including crushing Joe Biden in their debate. Last Friday morning when every conservative on this forum was ready to jump off a cliff, I was totally baffled because I thought it was a Absolutely a great pick.
I was wrong, 37,244,000 watched Palin speak. 38,379,000 watched Obama's speech last week.