never realized how close daniel came

1st Carlos Mortensen $ 1,500,000 2nd Dewey Tomko $ 1,098,925 3rd Stan Schrier $ 699,315 4th Phil Gordon $ 399,610 5th Phil Hellmuth $ 303,705 6th Mike Matusow $ 239,765 7th Henry Nowakowski $ 179,825 8th Steve Riehle $ 119,885 9th John Inashima $ 91,910 10th Arturo Diaz $ 63,940 11th Daniel Negreanu $ 63,940 This is the 2001 WSOP main event results. I never realized that daniel was just two away from the final table. And that he could have possibly won it. I also was interested to see the large percentage of pros at this final table. Mortensen, Tomko, Gordon, Hellmuth, Matusow. The last time we see a bunch of big name pros at a WSOP main event final table.

wow...i have a serious hunch that a big name pro is going to win this year.
I agree with you. Maybe not a top-top name like DN or Ivey, but I do think that a pro that we have heard of is going to take the the main event this year, unless I get some chips early of course.

Daniel wrote an article about how close he actually was to winning the whole thing. He was one of the chip leaders with 14 people left and then he took a bad beat, and he couldnt hang on. I think that's how the story went.

One reason there were alot of pros then is because of the lack of online qualifiers and the lack of poker on TV... It wasn't as big then and you would always have many pros at the final table. Poker just wasn't mainstream until it hit the internet and the WPT began. This year we'd be lucky to see more than 2 pros at the final table. :club:

what table place did helmuth take eventually? how bout gordon?
I'm glad you fully read and understood the original post!Helmuth did take a bad beat with his favorite hand: black nines. If they woulda held up they woulda been as popular as Doyle's T-2. Think about that...the helmuth hand.

There were a lot of pros that year, but I think the question is a little off. The better one is "How many of those players were pros before they made that final table?"The final table of the WSOP ME has a tendency to make players professionals even if they weren't before (Moneymaker, David Williams, Raymer, etc.) But I agree, it was a hell of a final table. There are many trip reports online--I believe www.tiltboys.com (Gordon's website) has one. Unfortunately, very few go to #11 to include Negreanu.

That same place in last years main event would have netted DN around 700K, right?
no, Al Krux this past year got 800K for sixth. who did get 11th this year? John Murphy got 13th and he got around 300K
That same place in last years main event would have netted DN around 700K, right?
no, Al Krux this past year got 800K for sixth. who did get 11th this year? John Murphy got 13th and he got around 300K
I think it was marcel luske but not totally sure.
I think it was marcel luske but not totally sure.
Marcel was 10th.