Craziness Outside My Door

Again, thanks for all the kind words from everyone.I've found out a little more. When I first heard the story, I thought the victim was another college aged kid. As it turns out, he's actually an older, ex marine bad ass. I've only talked to him a couple of times, at the pool. He seemed nice enough, but also had this bad ass element about him. My initial instinct was to be nice and friendly with him, but to always be on guard, and never get too friendly.As for the comment someone made about using a bat against him, or them ganging up on him, in this case that wouldn't work. If it were me vs. him, my only hope would be that I could outrun him. If I had a .22 pistol (such as was used last night), my game plan would be running and shooting over my shoulder.Turns out he took five bullets, and is currently in stable condition. The shooter has been charged with attempted 2nd degree murder. Again, my impression of him has always been that he was a nice kid.
This really makes it sound to me like A had a "reasonable belief" that he was in danger from J. Would love updates as this progresses. I'll predict that charges of Attempted Murder will not stick. Hope he gets a good lawyer.
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Were there a lot of witnesses that say 'A' was in danger in their opinion? Also, have you considered going to the police and asking if they need any info you might be able to give?

Hope he gets a good lawyer.
And that's the key to the legal system. If you're accused of a crime you better be smart and/or have a lot of money. Money works the best.And btw running while shooting over your shoulder (if stuck with the .22) sounds like a solid plan.

In Tennessee....to legally shoot someone you have to prove 3 things.1. You have to be in fear of your life.2. You have to be in fear of someone else's life.3. The person you shoot has to be able to do serious harm to you or the 3rd party at that moment.It gets sketchy with point three because the marine bad ass doesnt need a weaponto inflict some serious bodily harm. So down in tennessee if I shot the guy I would tell them I was in fear of my life and felt he could kill me with his bare hands....

In Tennessee....to legally shoot someone you have to prove 3 things.1. You have to be in fear of your life.2. You have to be in fear of someone else's life.3. The person you shoot has to be able to do serious harm to you or the 3rd party at that moment.It gets sketchy with point three because the marine bad ass doesnt need a weaponto inflict some serious bodily harm. So down in tennessee if I shot the guy I would tell them I was in fear of my life and felt he could kill me with his bare hands....
Not exactly.Tennesse also has a "Stand Your Ground" version of the Law. No duty to retreat. No neeed for fear of life loss. Just serious bodily injury or forcible entry.(1) Notwithstanding the provisions of § 39-17-1322, a person who is not engaged in unlawful activity and is in a place where such person has a right to be has no duty to retreat before threatening or using force against another person when and to the degree the person reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to protect against the other's use or attempted use of unlawful force.(2) Notwithstanding the provisions of § 39-17-1322, a person who is not engaged in unlawful activity and is in a place where such person has a right to be has no duty to retreat before threatening or using force intended or likely to cause death or serious bodily injury if:(A) The person has a reasonable belief that there is an imminent danger of death or serious bodily injury;( B ) The danger creating the belief of imminent death or serious bodily injury is real, or honestly believed to be real at the time; and( C ) The belief of danger is founded upon reasonable grounds.( c ) Any person using force intended or likely to cause death or serious bodily injury within a residence, dwelling or vehicle is presumed to have held a reasonable belief of imminent death or serious bodily injury to self, family, a member of the household or a person visiting as an invited guest when that force is used against another person, who unlawfully and forcibly enters or has unlawfully and forcibly entered the residence, dwelling or vehicle, and the person using defensive force knew or had reason to believe that an unlawful and forcible entry occurred.
Not exactly.Tennesse also has a "Stand Your Ground" version of the Law. No duty to retreat. No neeed for fear of life loss. Just serious bodily injury or forcible entry.(1) Notwithstanding the provisions of § 39-17-1322, a person who is not engaged in unlawful activity and is in a place where such person has a right to be has no duty to retreat before threatening or using force against another person when and to the degree the person reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to protect against the other's use or attempted use of unlawful force.(2) Notwithstanding the provisions of § 39-17-1322, a person who is not engaged in unlawful activity and is in a place where such person has a right to be has no duty to retreat before threatening or using force intended or likely to cause death or serious bodily injury if:(A) The person has a reasonable belief that there is an imminent danger of death or serious bodily injury;( B ) The danger creating the belief of imminent death or serious bodily injury is real, or honestly believed to be real at the time; and( C ) The belief of danger is founded upon reasonable grounds.( c ) Any person using force intended or likely to cause death or serious bodily injury within a residence, dwelling or vehicle is presumed to have held a reasonable belief of imminent death or serious bodily injury to self, family, a member of the household or a person visiting as an invited guest when that force is used against another person, who unlawfully and forcibly enters or has unlawfully and forcibly entered the residence, dwelling or vehicle, and the person using defensive force knew or had reason to believe that an unlawful and forcible entry occurred.
When I took my handgun carry permit here the instructor explained it the way that I did. I have never actually read the law on it until now...either way, dont mess with me or I am popping a cap... :club:
When I took my handgun carry permit here the instructor explained it the way that I did. I have never actually read the law on it until now...
I believe that this was amended in 2007 for the Stand Your Ground Language - I don't know if the Bodily Injury language was always there prior to this.Plus the CCW instructors who I have known want to impress upon you that you should use your weapon as a Last Resort because if you draw and fire, your life will change forever.
I believe that this was amended in 2007 for the Stand Your Ground Language - I don't know if the Bodily Injury language was always there prior to this.Plus the CCW instructors who I have known want to impress upon you that you should use your weapon as a Last Resort because if you darw and fire, your life will change forever.
Oh trust me If I ever pull my gun, it will be used. I understand the seriousness. But I can promise you one thing....If it ever comes to down to me or some other guy, Its them everytime. I will error on the side of me kissing my babies good nite tonite.
  • 1 month later...