Vancouver Canucks Fanclub

Randy/Drew said he won't be playing when they come to San Jose on Tuesday. They also said something about the 27th (but the Canucks don't play on 27th).
That's when he arrives in Vancouver.
  • Replies 810
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for the money...don't wait up. I'll be there when I get there.Mats
Ya such a selfish guy leaving the 'nucks with 3mil capspace to add another player add the deadline if they wish :club:

Well honestly I don't think Fernandez is a good option. You're buying high there. I think he's definitely playing over his head at the moment. These are the ones that people talk about being availableKhabibulinRolossonFernandezVokounToskalahow many would you really trust? maybe only Khabby because he's won it before. The cap room that Sundin left quite generously by taking a contract which on a per year basis is tied for the biggest in the league would probably allow them to pick him up but what do you have to give and will that prevent you from getting anybody else? Is Luongo a 'done for the year' thing or a 'out until the first round' type of thing?

Well honestly I don't think Fernandez is a good option. You're buying high there. I think he's definitely playing over his head at the moment. These are the ones that people talk about being availableKhabibulinRolossonFernandezVokounToskalahow many would you really trust? maybe only Khabby because he's won it before. The cap room that Sundin left quite generously by taking a contract which on a per year basis is tied for the biggest in the league would probably allow them to pick him up but what do you have to give and will that prevent you from getting anybody else? Is Luongo a 'done for the year' thing or a 'out until the first round' type of thing?
If he is done for the year then his remaining salary won't count towards the cap and we can pretty much get anyone and still have cap space to get another forward or defencemen if need be.I was thinking Fernandez mainly because I doubt a Western Conference team will want to give them a goalie unless its from a team that doesn't expect to make the playoffs. Plus he's in his last year so they don't have to pay him next year and he could keep up his strong play looking for a nice new contract for next year.
Same thing if the Canucks grab the 7 or 8 seed.
very good point
If he is done for the year then his remaining salary won't count towards the cap and we can pretty much get anyone and still have cap space to get another forward or defencemen if need be.I was thinking Fernandez mainly because I doubt a Western Conference team will want to give them a goalie unless its from a team that doesn't expect to make the playoffs. Plus he's in his last year so they don't have to pay him next year and he could keep up his strong play looking for a nice new contract for next year.
your salary point is a good one I overlooked.I wouldn't trust a guy who has only come on when the #1 guy has also played out of his mind. And, Boston might be thinking to keep them both for the "just in case" injury scenario and the "hey Tim keep up the good work but what's his face is still here looking over your shoulder" especially since Thomas has only played this well for this season so Manny isn't totally expendable.I think the "trade in the same conf" is overrated in some situations especially this one when you know that Luongo will be their guy in the long run. Edmonton isn't going to play them. if they make the playoffs then they'll most likely be a 7 or 8. Also, does anyone really want Rolosson? Chicago might if it allows them to get more help in other areas they'll take that chance.
I haven't been able to follow hockey hardcore so I'm really just asking. Are those 5 options significantly better than the Canucks other two goalies? Sanford seems pretty solid and Schnieder seems to get excellent reviews. So I suppose the question really is would the Nucks be so much better by getting another starter vs. adding another position player or two with the extra cash?Here's my thinking. if you knew Lui was gonna be back in sayy...February or early March, would you still get another goalie? If your answer is no then it probably doesn't matter that much now. If the current goalies keep you in the playoffs that long then the Nucks are probably better off strengthening up elsewhere...no?

I haven't watched many canuck games but looking at the time from Luongo's departure, you've gone .500 (well slightly over with 1 OT loss). And, this was in a bad stretch of the schedule where they've played a ton and I mean a ton of road games. Looking at the stats, Sanford has had some great games in terms of SV%. although those performances were mostly only in wins. only two of the losses in this stretch saw the goalies save over .900 of the shots. there's also the intangible how do the guys play in front of him.in the 14 games they've given up 3+ goals on eight occasions (1 win).like I said, I haven't watched your guys play but it seems like they're hit and miss.as we all know, goalies are an interesting commodity because it seems like a ton of questionable guys around the league are playing well. And, everybody seemingly has guys who go on good runs. The question is does the GM trust your two guys if Luongo is out for a long time. If not then the guys listed are upgrades. Khabby most so because he's won a cup before. Rolosson played well for Edmonton in their run but I wouldn't want him. The other guys are kinda meh. I would've said yes to your question about Toskala prior to this season. right now he's a question mark. those are all just guys who I read being in trade talks (and not from Eklund. I mean from articles on ESPN and TSN etc). Are they really upgrades? haven't watched your guys enough to say.if the canucks can only play .500 'till feb or march then they're done. as DM said 7th or 8th is basically a death sentence. too bad the new guy couldn't have suited up for games against Anaheim and San Jose. I would think the way those clubs play would get him back on his game quickly. it's all on him if Luongo is out for a long stretch

I haven't watched many canuck games but looking at the time from Luongo's departure, you've gone .500 (well slightly over with 1 OT loss). And, this was in a bad stretch of the schedule where they've played a ton and I mean a ton of road games. Looking at the stats, Sanford has had some great games in terms of SV%. although those performances were mostly only in wins. only two of the losses in this stretch saw the goalies save over .900 of the shots. there's also the intangible how do the guys play in front of him.in the 14 games they've given up 3+ goals on eight occasions (1 win).like I said, I haven't watched your guys play but it seems like they're hit and miss.as we all know, goalies are an interesting commodity because it seems like a ton of questionable guys around the league are playing well. And, everybody seemingly has guys who go on good runs. The question is does the GM trust your two guys if Luongo is out for a long time. If not then the guys listed are upgrades. Khabby most so because he's won a cup before. Rolosson played well for Edmonton in their run but I wouldn't want him. The other guys are kinda meh. I would've said yes to your question about Toskala prior to this season. right now he's a question mark. those are all just guys who I read being in trade talks (and not from Eklund. I mean from articles on ESPN and TSN etc). Are they really upgrades? haven't watched your guys enough to say.if the canucks can only play .500 'till feb or march then they're done. as DM said 7th or 8th is basically a death sentence. too bad the new guy couldn't have suited up for games against Anaheim and San Jose. I would think the way those clubs play would get him back on his game quickly. it's all on him if Luongo is out for a long stretch
January'09 will basically make or break the Nucks taken all the factors such as Sundin's ability to perform/mesh, Lui's health, and how the back-up goalies hold up.
Luongo skated today apparently too. Guess we really wanted to send Schneider back down. Not sure what we do when Lu comes back though?
Apparantly Sanford got hurt this game. This deal might have already been in place though. Basically I think this was done because they want Schneider to get more games in at the AHL level which is better for his develoment. Also this is is very cheap insurance if Luongo doesn't return this year. If/when he does it makes sence to then trade Labarbera or Sanford for basically what they gave up.
Apparantly Sanford got hurt this game. This deal might have already been in place though. Basically I think this was done because they want Schneider to get more games in at the AHL level which is better for his develoment. Also this is is very cheap insurance if Luongo doesn't return this year. If/when he does it makes sence to then trade Labarbera or Sanford for basically what they gave up.
Sanford got hurt in morning practice but thought he could got. Apparently he was wrong. Show the lack of confidence they have in Schneider. The Canucks also only had three goalies under NHL contract in there whole system.
Sanford got hurt in morning practice but thought he could got. Apparently he was wrong. Show the lack of confidence they have in Schneider. The Canucks also only had three goalies under NHL contract in there whole system.
Schneider isnt ready for the NHL and theres no point in crushing his confidence.

Labs only got a 7th rounder hmmm. I really don't think he's as awful as a lot of the criticism shooting around him would leave us to believe. I think he had a hard time stepping into the #1 role and trying to be "the" guy, but I think he's quite serviceable with his confidence back. He does have some fundamental problems, but those can constantly be worked on. Obviously I don't think his stay will be long, but all is not all gloom and doom. He helped the Kings franchise and gave a lot for them, didn't complain one bit about having to be in the minors for a season even though he was in the top 2 of organization goalies.