Top 5 Poker Books For A Nl Player?

ive been playing poker for about 3 years now, but not very seriously. however, all of that is about to change. I am going to start at .10/.25 NL and work my way up. I have read super system 1 and 2, but thats all. what I want to know is, if you had to make a top 5 list of poker books for someone in my position, what would they be? Thanks for your help

not including super system:Harragons on hold em - all volumes.Mike Cairos poker book of tellsThose are the essentialsothers:erick lindgrens WPT book (seriously).Lee jones 'low limit hold em' looks the goods too.phil gordons book keep you engaged.

If you have any interest in tournaments at all, Gus Hansen's new book "Every Hand Revealed" is a must read.Sklansky's SSHE is top notch for cash games. A book no one else will probably mention is Ken Warren's book, which is quite a solid read, too.

theory of poker's supposed to be goodas is harrington on hold 'em...but better than books is this (or other) forum. Videos on Card Runners (or elsewhere) are also great. Those resources allow you to dissect individual hands and situations, which books often cannot. Post as many hands as possible here. ...and start developing a thought process for why you do what you do. The trouble with a lot of poker players (as a good article by Phil Galfond explains in http://www.bluffmagazine.com/magazine/You%...alfond-1133.htm ) is that they do the right moves without knowing why. So this creates an illusion that they're competent when they're actually half assed. So make sure when you're reading that you question the author's assumptions. Not to say that he's necessarily wrong, but to make sure that if he's right you understand WHY he's right.

Sklansky Theory of Poker is a great one to have. I have the PDF so I can read it virtually (PM me and I can tell you where to download it). Very good with helping you understand implied and pot odds as well as reverse implied odds.Super System 1&2 Obv.Harrington on Hold'em for tournament tips.

Mike Cairos poker book of tells
Rather than Mike Caros book, I'd recommend "Phil Hellmuth Presents Read Em and Reap: A Career FBI Agents ...." much better for decoding people body language.

Besides Harrington's tournament books (haven't read his cash book yet) the biggest jump I got in my game was reading Phil Gordon's Little Green Book. You won't find anything super advanced in that book, but it does open you up to some of the thoughts a professional player has when approaching a hand. Understanding the reasons why you make a certain play will help you make more correct decision then trying to figure out the optimal way to play AKo. It also helps you better read an opponent when you know what questions they will be asking themselves during a hand, and what answers you are probably giving them.I would play around with some of the actual plays Gordon suggests. I don't think he suggests any terrible plays (unlike other Phil's I could mention) but some could certainly be improved upon.Oh, and join Pokervt:)

theory of poker's supposed to be goodas is harrington on hold 'em...but better than books is this (or other) forum. Videos on Card Runners (or elsewhere) are also great. Those resources allow you to dissect individual hands and situations, which books often cannot. Post as many hands as possible here. ...and start developing a thought process for why you do what you do. The trouble with a lot of poker players (as a good article by Phil Galfond explains in http://www.bluffmagazine.com/magazine/You%...alfond-1133.htm ) is that they do the right moves without knowing why. So this creates an illusion that they're competent when they're actually half assed. So make sure when you're reading that you question the author's assumptions. Not to say that he's necessarily wrong, but to make sure that if he's right you understand WHY he's right.
This was a really well written article. Thanks, I hadn't read it.

My favorite part about this thread is the, "hear me out" under the title, as if though we were all going to immediately react by, "WHAT?! A BOOK THREAD I REFUSE TO EVEN READ THE CONTENT OF THE FIRST POST LOCK THIS UP IMMEDIATELY!"Also, for a beginner, I think Hellmuth's "Play Poker Like the Pros" is worth reading.

not including super system:Harragons on hold em - all volumes.Mike Cairos poker book of tellsThose are the essentialsothers:erick lindgrens WPT book (seriously).Lee jones 'low limit hold em' looks the goods too.phil gordons book keep you engaged.
Just in case there was any doubt this was a joke account, this seals it. This has to be literally one of the worst books ever written about poker.Edit: Oh, and I also love Dan Harragon. LOL.

For real:Matt Lessinger's Book of Bluffs.Read em and Reap (if you're gonna play live)Phil Gordon's books actually aren't horrible.The Psychology of Poker.

LOLZ.You are an Eagle!
I'm not joking!!When I read it, I had no idea about starting hand selection. Sure, it won't make you a winner in tougher games or anything, but it teaches you the importance of patience and hand selection and all that crazy stuff you get to later ignore when you're good enough to play 98ss to a raiser.
I'm not joking!!When I read it, I had no idea about starting hand selection. Sure, it won't make you a winner in tougher games or anything, but it teaches you the importance of patience and hand selection and all that crazy stuff you get to later ignore when you're good enough to play 98ss to a raiser.
I hope to one day be precisely this good.

haha, good point naismith. i've been blasted in the past for posting something in here that didn't directly relate to an actual NL hand. so i figured id throw that plea in there, glad you got some humor out of it

Sklansky Theory of Poker is a great one to have. I have the PDF so I can read it virtually (PM me and I can tell you where to download it). Very good with helping you understand implied and pot odds as well as reverse implied odds.Super System 1&2 Obv.Harrington on Hold'em for tournament tips.
IM me w/info the next time you're on plz. I'll PM anyway.

I see Play Poker like the Pros is available at Amazon used for 18 cents.When it gets down to 11 cents, I suggest that you still not buy it.

For NLHE cash games, the best book, by far is No-Limit Hold'em Theory and Practice.
This.... the preflop strategy is a bit too nitty (as I had to learn the hard way), but the book is absolutely worth it's money