Oh, and my opinion of worst pick of the draft......Seattle taking Russell Westbrook at 4. No explanation for that terrible selection, imo.
Well, IMO (redundancy for the win) there is an explanation. Westbrook will be a perfect fit with Durant, a lock down defender, and is going to be a good PG in the NBA. When Collison was hurt last year, I thought he ran the offense a lot better, and that is why he was drafted as a PG, not the SG he played mostly last year. If he improves his outside shot to go with his athleticism I think he has a chance at being an excellent PG in the NBA. I had been hearing for the last few weeks that he was going to Seattle, so I wasn't shocked at all...I don't think they drafted the best player available though, I think they drafted for need. NBA teams do that way more then the NFL, but I suppose with a smaller roster that is neccessary.
  • Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I might agree with you there. I'm not sold on Mayo after watching him quite a bit in Pac 10 play last year, and Love obviously has question marks surrounding him.Side note, Stuart Scott saying "There are people who have said the Pac-10 is not a real basketball conference," made me lol.
I get the feeling Mayo might end up being the next Ricky Davis.
Yeah he did a lot of things well last year, but also did a lot of things wrong. Both times UCLA played USC I was much more concerned with their interior guys then Mayo (partially because Westbrook was on him), and he is prone to turnovers. I don't know, maybe there was too much hype prior to the season but I was never overly impressed. Also, I think a truly special player takes that USC team on his back last year and gets to at least the sweet 16, ala Wade with Marquette.It's unfair I think to judge kids this way at such an early age, but I also question his character based on the taking money issue, throwing down the ref in that HS game, etc.
(partially because Westbrook was on him)
Speaking of Westbrook, am I the only one who thinks he shouldn't have even been a lottery pick, let alone top 4?I understand he has nice size and plays good defense, but he isn't a solid enough all around player I think for him to be going number 4 overall.
Speaking of Westbrook, am I the only one who thinks he shouldn't have even been a lottery pick, let alone top 4?I understand he has nice size and plays good defense, but he isn't a solid enough all around player I think for him to be going number 4 overall.
See my post above. It was a 'need' pick I think, but as a UCLA fan I'm obviously higher on him then most random college fans would be.

Random fact I heard last night during the coverage that was pretty interesting but makes perfect sense:If the Lakers hadn't drafted Crawford, it would have been the first time in draft history ( i think it was all time, or maybe the last 30 years or something) that a player from Kentucky, UNC, or Duke had not been selected.

I think you are dead wrong. I think Mayo turns into Ron Harper.....lock down defender who can shoot 3s and do some things off the dribble.I think he will end up being a very good NBA player.....and definitely end up being better than Mike Miller.

God if I heard someone say Mayo was going to turn into Ron Harper I would have never though it was a compliment.I think Mayo will be solid, real solid. I'm crazy I guess because I think Beasley and Mayo will be better than Rose. I'm not sold on Rose.Edit: I also wasn't sold on Chris Paul, lol.

God if I heard someone say Mayo was going to turn into Ron Harper I would have never though it was a compliment.I think Mayo will be solid, real solid. I'm crazy I guess because I think Beasley and Mayo will be better than Rose. I'm not sold on Rose.Edit: I also wasn't sold on Chris Paul, lol.
Sounds good for the Bulls then :club:
I have a feeling he's going to be the next Starbury.
Yeah, that seems like the type of character he has. Like I said, a bit unfair to judge him this early, but so far most decisions he has made both on and off the court have been very selfish.
Sounds good for the Bulls then :club:
I still don't understand how Paul is so good. He's just realllllly smart, in control, and quick I guess. I mean what's the difference between him and Tyrone Lue? Just basketball IQ really, it's insane to me how much he can dominate games. But I still think he's very much the exception to the rule.People thought they were going to find Dwayne Wade's after he won the Championship and now everyone is down on Kyle Lowry. He was the prototype. I think Rose will be better than Lowry (but I like Lowry!) but I don't think he's a franchise changer. He's not as quick as Paul and has about the same jumper. He wasn't even definitively the best player on his team for most of the season!I don't know, I'm not a draft guru, or college bball guy, but I think Beasley has a lot more upside than Rose. Obv won't be able to tell til year 4 or so, but whatever.
I'd take drafting the next starbury at 3. Steph was a beast for about 6 years.
I still don't understand how Paul is so good. He's just realllllly smart, in control, and quick I guess. I mean what's the difference between him and Tyrone Lue? Just basketball IQ really, it's insane to me how much he can dominate games. But I still think he's very much the exception to the rule.People thought they were going to find Dwayne Wade's after he won the Championship and now everyone is down on Kyle Lowry. He was the prototype. I think Rose will be better than Lowry (but I like Lowry!) but I don't think he's a franchise changer. He's not as quick as Paul and has about the same jumper. He wasn't even definitively the best player on his team for most of the season!I don't know, I'm not a draft guru, or college bball guy, but I think Beasley has a lot more upside than Rose. Obv won't be able to tell til year 4 or so, but whatever.
I don't really know you, but based on these comments I would assume you know very little about basketball.Ron Harper was a fantastic player before he hurt his back, he was a very intelligent player also to be able to stay in the league so long with his injury.Marbury was good for maybe a year and a half at Minnesota before he became a selfish ball hog. Phoenix thought they could change that and it blew up, same with New York. Classic case of top 10 NBA talent with bottom ten NBA mentality.andI cannot believe for a second that you compared Tyrone Lue to Chris Paul. This maybe one of the most asinine things I have ever heard. Is Jim McIlvaine the same as Kevin Garnett because they are both 7-1? Chris Paul has unbelievable ball handling skills, passing skills, speed, and above average shooter and amazing playmaker, plus he, much like Steve Nash, can create for others.
I cannot believe for a second that you compared Tyrone Lue to Chris Paul. This maybe one of the most asinine things I have ever heard. Is Jim McIlvaine the same as Kevin Garnett because they are both 7-1? Chris Paul has unbelievable ball handling skills, passing skills, speed, and above average shooter and amazing playmaker, plus he, much like Steve Nash, can create for others.
Well Chris Paul is no Manu....
Ron Harper was a fantastic player before he hurt his back, he was a very intelligent player also to be able to stay in the league so long with his injury.
Yeah he was considered a 'high flyer' etc before that injury, then later in his career he was a big part of great teams. Phil Jackson loves big PGs I think at least partly because of all the success he had with Harper. Before coming to Chicago, he was more of a scorer (in order ppg by year): 22.9 (rookie year), 15.4, 18.6, 22.8, 19.6, 18.2, 18.0, and 20.1. In that span (86-87 through 94-94) he also averaged over 5 assists a game and over 2 steals. Then after coming to Chicago, he never averaged more then 11.2 a game (98-99) but that was also the only year he played more then 30 min a game during his time there. For the most part his minutes dropped 8-10 min per game from his time w/ the Clippers and Cavs.
I still don't understand how Paul is so good. He's just realllllly smart, in control, and quick I guess. I mean what's the difference between him and Tyrone Lue? Just basketball IQ really, it's insane to me how much he can dominate games. But I still think he's very much the exception to the rule.
That's exactly what people are saying about Rose.
Well, IMO (redundancy for the win) there is an explanation. Westbrook will be a perfect fit with Durant, a lock down defender, and is going to be a good PG in the NBA. When Collison was hurt last year, I thought he ran the offense a lot better, and that is why he was drafted as a PG, not the SG he played mostly last year. If he improves his outside shot to go with his athleticism I think he has a chance at being an excellent PG in the NBA. I had been hearing for the last few weeks that he was going to Seattle, so I wasn't shocked at all...I don't think they drafted the best player available though, I think they drafted for need. NBA teams do that way more then the NFL, but I suppose with a smaller roster that is neccessary.
I agree on the "drafting on needs" comment, but with all the trades going on, find it hard to believe they couldn't trade down or pick a Lopez/Love/etc. and then trade for Westbrook later in the night, plus get other things. He just doesn't warrant that high of a pick when you can get him later/get him plus other options if you trade for him later.
pretty much sums up my happiness about this draft: (from espn.com)Miami Heat Grade: A+ Round 1: Michael Beasley (2) Round 2: Mario Chalmers (34), Darnell Jackson (52) Analysis: I hate to break it to what looked like a very sober, perhaps disappointed Pat Riley, but the Heat won this draft. They walked away with arguably the best player in the draft and then got a second-round steal at point guard, a position at which Miami really needed help. Beasley has a chance to be a superstar. With him and Dwyane Wade, the Heat have a terrific future. On top of that, Miami got a player at No. 34 who I had ranked as a potential mid-first-round pick. Chalmers is perfect for Riley: He is tough, plays defense, can shoot the lights out and is a winner. Once the Heat find a way to get trade Shawn Marion, they'll be in great shape to make a big run at a young free agent next summer. And according to John Hollinger's statistical formula, Jackson is one the biggest sleepers in the draft. ok so they traded Jackson.....but Chalmers was a heist and Beasley is great.they will be starting next year with this lineup: Chalmers, Wade, Beasley, Marion, Haslem. No true center....but that lineup gets back to the playoffs at the very least.Now if they can just convince the Clippers to trade us Brand for Marion.....
Where did you see this? ....cuz everything I've seen on kusports.com still has him going to Miami.Edit: I just chcked the espn round-by-round listings and they don't have him traded to anybody else. It looks like Miami got the pick from Orlando, but that's all I see. Mario & D-Block in Miami....shibby.
you clearly know little about Ron Harper then. He had a very good career.I could have sworn the Heat traded away Jackson.....for a couple 2nd round picks. I might be wrong there (actually I hope I am wrong there he is a steal at 52.)Chris paul is amazing because he is impossibly quick and he can dribble in tight spaces without breaking a sweat. If you watch some of his games against the spurs, he is able to get in the paint and keep his handle in a crowd until someone breaks free. It is like the ball is attached to his hands by magnetic force.have to agree with Jadaki....you may know a lot about the Spurs and Manu....but you are lacking as a whole. Ron Harper was an integral member of the last three Bulls champion teams AND that was when he was a shadow of his former self due to the aforementioned back injury.basically, I think people highly exaggerate Mayo's "bad attitude". Everyone at USC said he was a great teammate AND he played defense at a very high level. I think he was be an all-defensive teamer during his career and he will hit NBA 3s.I dont see him as a star but as a superb complimentary player (like a Ron Harper or a Shawn Marion). Bill Simmons comparison to Scottie Pippen is a huge stretch but it is the right track. Mayo's biggest problem is starting his career in Memphis aka purgatory.
That's exactly what people are saying about Rose.
Who? And who said this about Paul? I have a buddy who is a Hawks fan and is still devistated that they took Williams over Paul in the draft, when they needed a PG.Paul should have been the first pick of the draft, and same with Rose.
andI cannot believe for a second that you compared Tyrone Lue to Chris Paul. This maybe one of the most asinine things I have ever heard. Is Jim McIlvaine the same as Kevin Garnett because they are both 7-1? Chris Paul has unbelievable ball handling skills, passing skills, speed, and above average shooter and amazing playmaker, plus he, much like Steve Nash, can create for others.
You aren't understanding the comparison. They are same size, same speed, same stroke. The difference is the intangibles. Which I already stated and said Paul was the exception to the rule. If Paul isn't able to do all these little things that make him amazing his is Tyrone (wtf is his first name) Lue. But instead he's one of the top 3 players in the league.I think it's a lot tougher to have those intangibles than people make it seem. IE I don't think players like Chris Paul come out once every 3 years. He's a once a generation player. I think Derrick Rose will be more like a healthy Penny. Which is pretty damn good. I just think Beasley (especially) and Mayo to a lesser extent have a higher ceiling.
You aren't understanding the comparison. They are same size, same speed, same stroke. The difference is the intangibles. Which I already stated and said Paul was the exception to the rule. If Paul isn't able to do all these little things that make him amazing his is Tyrone (wtf is his first name) Lue. But instead he's one of the top 3 players in the league.I think it's a lot tougher to have those intangibles than people make it seem. IE I don't think players like Chris Paul come out once every 3 years. He's a once a generation player. I think Derrick Rose will be more like a healthy Penny. Which is pretty damn good. I just think Beasley (especially) and Mayo to a lesser extent have a higher ceiling.
I understand your point better but some of your assumptions are faulty.I would say that Paul is faster than Lue and is also a bit bigger (taller and stronger) than Lue.Same stroke really does not make sense either....jumpshots are like snowflakes....everyone's is a bit different. you cant really say two people have the same stroke. (man this sounds ghey)Plus what sets him way apart from Lue is handle. Paul could dribble through one of those crazy crowded Tokyo streets. This allows him to go places in the lane that others cannot thereby buying time for Tyson Chandler to roll off for a sick alley oop dunk.I will agree that Beasley has the highest ceiling in this draft. I like Rose a lot and would have been fine if the Heat had taken him....but I dont think Rose will ever be on the level of chris paul/deron williams. I think he is a notch or two below those guys. which aint bad.
Sorry I still disagree. Watching Lue play is painful, he looks un-natural. The comparison is made because they are both small and fast, but that is where it ends. Using you logic you could infer that to 100 different player comparisons in the NBA.
I think Derrick Rose will be more like a healthy Penny.
Not even close.Penny was possibly one of the best players I ever saw in college and he had parts of his game that Rose will never have. Penny was 6'7, and could play above the rim and post up like few other guards at the time until his injuries started piling up. If he stays healthy were talking about Penny as one of the 10 best guards of all time.I remember watching him play a game at Memphis that went to overtime where he took the tip off against the other teams center, outran everyone down the court to catch an alley-oop, then stole the second pass after the inbound, going into an instant spin around the defender and pulled up to hit a three in another guys face. Next time down the court his stripped the other teams PG and took it in for a highlight windmill... Penny was sick.I feel bad for him and Grant Hill, both of which would be HOF talent if it wasn't for injuries.
Not even close.Penny was possibly one of the best players I ever saw in college and he had parts of his game that Rose will never have. Penny was 6'7, and could play above the rim and post up like few other guards at the time until his injuries started piling up. If he stays healthy were talking about Penny as one of the 10 best guards of all time.I remember watching him play a game at Memphis that went to overtime where he took the tip off against the other teams center, outran everyone down the court to catch an alley-oop, then stole the second pass after the inbound, going into an instant spin around the defender and pulled up to hit a three in another guys face. Next time down the court his stripped the other teams PG and took it in for a highlight windmill... Penny was sick.I feel bad for him and Grant Hill, both of which would be HOF talent if it wasn't for injuries.
pretty much what he said. Penny and Rose are nothing alike. Rose reminds me of Mo Cheeks.