Sleeping Problems

FYPAmbien, when not abused, is about as dangerous as wheat bread.
wheat bread killed my whole family!

Heroin always helped me when I had bouts of insomnia. Or, in a pinch, run-of-the-mill morphine. Don't take ambien. Unless you like strokes. And if you do like strokes, I got a hot grandma you might want to date.

I can't believe some of you young people have never heard of booze.

Have always had trouble sleeping, but between school and travelling and jobs I didn't care for too much, I got by.I work 9 hour days, have to be up at 9am so I go to sleep at 1am. Just got the job, was playing poker and enjoying myself for 6 months, and travelling a year before that. The first week I fell asleep within 5 minutes of hitting the pillow.Now I'm back to my usual ways, every night. Go to sleep at 1am, still awake at 4, sometimes 5 or 6.For example, its 5:10am now and I have to wake at 9. I just can NOT fall asleep. I work a weekend day every week, so on my usual one day break, I sleep for 10-12 hours when I finally fall asleep. The only time I sleep good is when Im drunk, and obviously I don't wake up good.I haven't been excercising much and the job is in an office. I eat good but obviously have lots of coffee when I arrive semi late for work.I've googled and tried suggestions, like not going near my bed unless its for sleep. Having 15 minutes with no computer,tv,books anything before I go to sleep.I've taken sleeping tablets, but they knock me out too much and I've had horrible horrible nightmares a few times. Plus I don't want to take them 5 days a week.Anyone got any expierence or advice for this?

The absolute best way to get to sleep, and the one I used my Freshman year in college when I was having really awful problems falling asleep:Do a workout, one that gets you going. I used to run a mile or so, then do pushups/pullups until I was tired. Then drink sugar-water. I usually drank a bottle of Lemonade from the vending machine, but something like OJ would work to. Stimulate's glycogen resynthesis, and knocks you on your ASS. Sometimes I'd fall asleep at midnight, and wake up at 3ish, wide awake, with nowhere to be until 10. 30 minute workout, immediate lemonade-pound, 10 minute shower, and I'd be passed out by 4Wang

If you're looking for something natural, try melatonin. I think finztotheleft already suggested it, but I want to reiterate it. Melatonin is something that your body makes naturally, and I think that some people are simply deficient in melatonin and it causes them problems when trying to sleep. I've also found an OTC sleep aid that I like, that doesn't have the side effects that most have. Most OTC sleep aids have diphenahydramine HCI, which knocks you on your ass and causes dry mouth, grogginess and other side effects. I found a sleep aid with a drug called doxylamin succinate, it helps me fall asleep and has relatively few side effects. I highly recomend it.

Its not the waking up thats the problem, like some people were saying. Once I'm asleep nothing will wake me. If I didnt have a girlfriend to make sure Im up, I'd be fired already.And while we're on the subject, yes too soon and I can't wait to see the next Batman

I can't believe some of you young people have never heard of booze.
Please respect my stereotypes, or at least read the post

Smoke weed then rub one out. You will be asleep so fast.

Before taking any of the drugs or products mentioned in this thread definitely talk to a doctor or pharmacist.
I disagree with this sentiment. IIRC, the OP doesn't currently have health insurance. Nothing you can buy over the counter is likely to cause you long term harm. Talking to a doctor or pharmacist is likely to just be a major waste of time and money. Besides which, I'm pretty sure finz is a nurse and she recommended melatonin, so if you're concerned at all about the recommendations, then just take the advice of the nurse in the thread and you'll be fine.

Why, thank you Cinci :club: I take Melatonin myself for difficulty sleeping due to chronic pain. My son also takes it to help him get to sleep, with great effects. It helps overcome the tail end of his Adderall dose keeping him awake.I've had hundreds of patients use Benadryl (diphenhydramine, ? spelling) which does help them get to sleep, but many have complained of a groggy feeling the next day.I'm obviously not going to suggest that anyone has to use an OTC sleep aid, but if you go to the doctor to complain of insomnia, he is going to ask what measures you have tried to try to improve your sleep and sleep habits. It makes sense to me to exhaust other options before going to a doctor to ask for a prescription. Certainly, there can be medical causes for insomnia that require a doctor's diagnosis and treatment. A significant cause of sleep problems for many involve lifestyle choices and stress. I think most people should start there, examining what they are doing to set themselves up for sleep problems. Any good doctor is going to recommend basic steps to improve sleep. There is an old medical adage........If you here hoofbeats, look for horses, not zebras . If someone is drinking caffeinated soda all evening, a doctor is going to recommend stopping that practice and see if that treatment works before ordering a slew of tests to investigate a possible medical reason for insomniaFrom the National Sleep Foundation:Sleep experts recommend the following tips for good sleep:At night:Establish a regular bedtime routine and a regular sleep-wake schedule. That means getting up at the same time every day of the week, no matter how much you've slept the night before, and going to bed at about the same time. Don't spend too much time in bed. Your time in bed should be about the same as the amount of time you can actually sleep during the night. You can't force yourself to sleep by spending more time in bed. Do not eat or drink too much before bedtime. Create a sleep-promoting environment that is quiet, dark, cool and comfortable. During the day:Consume less or no caffeine, particularly late in the day. Avoid alcohol and nicotine, especially close to bedtime. Exercise, but not within three hours before bedtime. Avoid naps, particularly in the late afternoon or evening. Establish a regular bedtime and get up at the same time every day. Do not stay in bed to make- up for lost sleep or beyond your regular rise time. Keep a sleep diary to identify your sleep habits and patterns that you can share with your doctor. Over-the-Counter (OTC)Medications If that doesn't work, then you call your doctor.

read Checky's blog
both entries? :)OP, i go through bouts of crazy insomnia on a fairly regular basis, and although weed is honestly the only thing that chills me out enough to sleep well when that happens with any regularity, i've also had a bit of success with decaf tea+milk (no sugar) about an hour before bed, meditation and/or self-hypnosis, and just focusing on my breathing (primarily the points at which you go from breathing in to breathing out and vice versa--this is a part of my self-hypnosis induction method, also. it also sometimes helps me to lie in bed and tense up your entire body as much as you can and then relax it all at once.finally, i've heard that you should stop reading, watching tv, or doing anything but sleep while in your bed--something about subconsciously associating the bed with things other than sleep being a bad thing. bang your wife/gf/whore on the couch, i guess.

Thanks for all the info Finz, appreciate it. Although you were outed into it.Schedule is hard as I'm working shifts, and then when I know I'm not working the next day or until late in the day, I go play long live sessions or get thrashed.Some cool quirky French girl in work, made me two bottles of oils to put drops on my pillow to help me sleep. Didn't work but now I'm in bits in work, trying to act all well rested so she isn't disappointed.

Get a job dealing poker, and work the graveyard shift. Drive home every morning laughing at all the suckers who are just waking up and going to work. Sleep all day with absolutely no guilt. Rinse and repeat.It worked for me.

• 2 weeks later...