I'm going to see PE this summer at Pitchfork Music Festival in Chicago where they'll be performing It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back in its entirety, I'm curious to see Flav's act.
wow, that would be sweet. I'm a big fan of PE's really underrated 1994 album Muse-Sick in our Mess-Age. It just came out at a bad time, when all the east coast was exploding with Biggie and Wu and gangster rap, and of course the Death Row hits. It didn't sound like any of that, but it's a really great album. I think the Bomb Squad (PE's Producers) are really amazing. I love what they did on Ice Cube's Amerikkka's most wanted.
  • Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

blah blah blah my opinion means more than yours blah blah blah
I'm not saying that Puff Daddy is a good rapper by any means. But he was the biggest rapper in the late 90's, it wasn't just one song, it was a lot.And I don't think record sales makes a rapper great, I was just going off the rappers on the list this guy made.I agree with Soulja Boy being one of the worst. That song was #1 for a while, and I think that there is no way Soulja Boy will ever have a hit song again.Flavor Flav has hit the wall though, I agree with that. I've seen a couple episodes of Season 3, and it is really bad. There is no way any of these chicks will ever stay with him. He STILL is a good hype man though, but not a rapper. I like PE a lot.

Big D, Jada and anyone else I am curious to see who your top lists are forRappersRap GroupsSongsAreHere are mine off the top of my head (no particular order because I like them for different things)I tried not to put people from groups in the top rappers like Q tip, most of Wu Tang, Black Thought, etc.Rappers.1. 2Pac2. Biggie3. Snoop4. Eminem5. Jay Z6. Redman7. Chuck D8. Nas9. Method Man10. Ludacris11. Rakim12. DMX13. E-4014. Mac Mall15. Too ShortGroups1. Wutang2. Tribe Called Quest3. P.E.4. The Roots5. Mobb Deep6. Outkast7. NWA8. Run DMC9. NWA10. Fugees11. EPMD12. De La Soul13. Pete Rock and C.L. Smooth14 The Click15. BDP16. Goodie Mob17. Pharcyde18. Black StarSongs (this is the hardest I will omit a ton I am sure)1. I get around (2pac)2. G Thing (Dre/Snoop)3. Protect ya Neck (Wu Tang)4. Scenario (Tribe)5. Aint no future in yo fronting (MC Breed)6. Sometime I rhyme slow (Nice and Smooth)7. Southerplayalistic & Playas Ball (Outkast)8. The World is yours (Nas)9. My Name is D Nice (D nice) - Love this gay song for some reason10. Reminisce (Pete Rock and CL smooth)11. Passing me By (Pharcyde)12. Daytona 500 (Ghostface)Ok this is hard, so I am going to stop knowing that there is 50 songs that I could easily interchange with most of the songs I have already listed.

MC's (no order, except for Nas):1. Nas- MF Doom- Deltron- Rakim- Aesop Rock- KRS-One- Talib Kweli- Jay Z- Ghostface Killah- GZA- Chuck D- Mr. Lif- Raekwon- Method Man- Mos Def (for Black On Both Sides alone)Groups (first four in order):1. Wu-Tang Clan2. A Tribe Called Quest3. Outkast4. PE- Black Star- NWA- De La Soul- The Roots- Pharcyde- Boogie Down ProductionsNot going to do tracks.

I am going to list groups and single artists together, 'cause that's how I roll. This is my all time favorites list, not necessarily whom I think are the best rappers. For example, I have respect for 2pac and Eminem, but I'm not really into them. Also, there are a couple of groups that would be on here for one albums that I love, like Kool Keith's first Dr Octogon and Bizarre Ride 2 the Far Side, but I don't like enough of their body of work to put them on...1 Biggie2 Wu-Tang Nation ( a lot of crap Wu Tang material, but a lot of gold too)3 OutKast ( I really like OutKast)4 PE5 Jay-Z6 Eric B and Rakim ( mostly Rakim, maybe the real answer to the best MC of all time)7 Tribe8 De La9 Busta Rhymes ( I dont' know if he really deserves to be on this list or not, but I love him so much.)10 Anything Dre ever produced. Looking at this list, I have a definite East Coast Bias.

K-Fed has to be #1 worst rapper, it's really not close at all. I'm a pirate on the seas, call me Captain HookEverything belong to me, every cranny and nookEvery rock, every bird, every animal in itThis respect it ain't, I get cannibal wit itYou thought Peter Pan, with life stories and fairy talesI walked through the concrete jungle wit just a scaleA pound of weed, no seed, sippin on OEBack in '93 when the world didn't quite know meI traveled the seven seas, behind the scenesBefore the pop queen, limousines and magazinesBefore the brain, Ben Franklins with no changeTook a picture of the globe and hung it up in a frameSince dat day in '93, I been on my grindSince dat day in '93, the world been mineGimme a straight shot of patron without no limeAnd some California kush just to ease my mindAnd you know I’m not abusive but sometimes you make me lose itNever put my hands on you though sometimes I wanna do itGot my mind mixed up, like my brain’s in the blenderI remember when we both made the change for the betterNow we back to our old ways trying to stay togetherWhat happened to the sunshine through the bad weatherYou wear mad leather so I know that you’re depressedAnd I’m smoking a pack of cigs a day from the stressWhen we first met you was my lifetime partnerMy life crime partner, my wife my honorBut now I’m feeling like George Bush and OsamaWe gotta stop this shit put an end to this drama case closed

9 Busta Rhymes ( I dont' know if he really deserves to be on this list or not, but I love him so much.)
Definitely listworthy. He puts on one of the best concerts ever. Even though he is getting older, the energy is still there. I highly recommend it especially if he is performing at a smaller club. I've seen him 3 times and he never disappoints.I won't make a list because it is similar to all of yours. Favorite: Nas, Favorite Group: A Tribe Called Quest
K-Fed has to be #1 worst rapper, it's really not close at all. I'm a pirate on the seas, call me Captain HookEverything belong to me, every cranny and nookEvery rock, every bird, every animal in itThis respect it ain't, I get cannibal wit itYou thought Peter Pan, with life stories and fairy talesI walked through the concrete jungle wit just a scaleA pound of weed, no seed, sippin on OEBack in '93 when the world didn't quite know meI traveled the seven seas, behind the scenesBefore the pop queen, limousines and magazinesBefore the brain, Ben Franklins with no changeTook a picture of the globe and hung it up in a frameSince dat day in '93, I been on my grindSince dat day in '93, the world been mineGimme a straight shot of patron without no limeAnd some California kush just to ease my mindAnd you know I’m not abusive but sometimes you make me lose itNever put my hands on you though sometimes I wanna do itGot my mind mixed up, like my brain’s in the blenderI remember when we both made the change for the betterNow we back to our old ways trying to stay togetherWhat happened to the sunshine through the bad weatherYou wear mad leather so I know that you’re depressedAnd I’m smoking a pack of cigs a day from the stressWhen we first met you was my lifetime partnerMy life crime partner, my wife my honorBut now I’m feeling like George Bush and OsamaWe gotta stop this shit put an end to this drama case closed
Um, no comment, except:He should've stuck with being known as Britney's ex.
Link?
Go dig through articles on allhiphop.com. I should have been a little more clear, he helps write the verses but they aren't often his creation. Snoop, Em and several others have mentioned assisting Dre in his writing.I'll do the list thing later.
Well, East Coast is a typically superior sound. Emcees are more literate, producers are more progressive...West Coast ain't shit, basically.
Yeah, but I mean, there is plenty of hip hop that's good out side of new york, and not just on the west coast. The south, the midwest and the west coast all have great and memorable acts.
Why is Nelly on that list?
Actually I'd make an argument that he is one of the 25 worst all time and it's one of the few correct additions to that list. Slurring your speech does not make you a good rapper, let alone a lyricist.

2 Live Crew being on the list is a shame, they were probably the first rap group I ever heard. And while it may not stand up now(I think most of it does) what they stood up for with the 1st ammendment and the shitstorm they went through was important for all of us as citizens.

2 Live Crew being on the list is a shame, they were probably the first rap group I ever heard. And while it may not stand up now(I think most of it does) what they stood up for with the 1st ammendment and the shitstorm they went through was important for all of us as citizens.
yeah, well their vallient fight for their first amendment rights caused them to sell about 2 million more records than they should have. 2 live crew is terrible.
MC's (no order, except for Nas):1. Nas- MF Doom- Deltron- Rakim- Aesop Rock- KRS-One- Talib Kweli- Jay Z- Ghostface Killah- GZA- Chuck D- Mr. Lif- Raekwon- Method Man- Mos Def (for Black On Both Sides alone)Groups (first four in order):1. Wu-Tang Clan2. A Tribe Called Quest3. Outkast4. PE- Black Star- NWA- De La Soul- The Roots- Pharcyde- Boogie Down ProductionsNot going to do tracks.
I'm just going to save time and copy bigkg's list verbatim. Add in Blackalicious and you pretty much have mine.
Actually I'd make an argument that he is one of the 25 worst all time and it's one of the few correct additions to that list. Slurring your speech does not make you a good rapper, let alone a lyricist.
I guess that's just an opinion, but I know few people who like rap that don't like Nelly (and by few people, I have never met anybody that likes rap that does not like Nelly).ee_2.JPG
I guess that's just an opinion, but I know few people who like rap that don't like Nelly (and by few people, I have never met anybody that likes rap that does not like Nelly).ee_2.JPG
Sounds like you need to meet more people.
I guess that's just an opinion, but I know few people who like rap that don't like Nelly (and by few people, I have never met anybody that likes rap that does not like Nelly).
shocking
I guess that's just an opinion, but I know few people who like rap that don't like Nelly (and by few people, I have never met anybody that likes rap that does not like Nelly).
You have seen Talladega Nights right?You know the scene where Jean comes in and plays jazz on the jukebox, and they pull the plug on it and he asks why. They tell him it is so they can profile people who don't belong... well Nelly is a way real hip-hop fans can profile people who aren't exposed to anything thats actually good in the genre.
You have seen Talladega Nights right?You know the scene where Jean comes in and plays jazz on the jukebox, and they pull the plug on it and he asks why. They tell him it is so they can profile people who don't belong... well Nelly is a way real hip-hop fans can profile people who aren't exposed to anything thats actually good in the genre.
:club::ts:D:D

Music is about entertainment. Nelly is entertaining. If you don't think that, I don't care, but it's just your opinion. There are plenty of people (and I'm sure you all know a couple) who would never put Nelly on a worst rappers list.