The What If Thread

Stole this from the hfboards, thought it was an interesting thread topic. What is the biggest "What If" in hockey history?For me it's "What if Orr didn't retire early/hurt?"

What if Wayne Gretzky's grandfather had stayed in Belarus instead of coming to Canada?
lol..thats a good one...There might not be hockey in Anaheim and San Jose
What if Fraser didnt cost the Leafs the cup in 1993......
His niece was my roomate in second year university, and let me tell you, the entire extended Fraser family is subject to ongoing acute suffering because of that call. Anytime someone new found out about her connection, the first thing out of their mouth is "Your uncle cost the Leafs the cup!" (as if Montreal would have had nothing to say about it). They are REALLY getting tired of it after a decade and a half.Have you signed this yet?
His niece was my roomate in second year university, and let me tell you, the entire extended Fraser family is subject to ongoing acute suffering because of that call. Anytime someone new found out about her connection, the first thing out of their mouth is "Your uncle cost the Leafs the cup!" (as if Montreal would have had nothing to say about it). They are REALLY getting tired of it after a decade and a half.Have you signed this yet?
too bad...How do you think I feel about the 100 golf jokes, and 1967 jokes I hear every ****ing day..Live with it...He costs us and he and his family needs to pay for that...to a certain degree
What if the Penguins picked Ovechkin instead of Fleury ?
Then the space-time continuum would have folded the year 2004 onto the year 2003 and the universe would have exploded (it'd be the year the Leafs win the cup incidentally), making the question irrelevant.
What if the Penguins picked Ovechkin instead of Fleury ?
Then they would have been told it was an illegal pick as Ovechkin wasn't available to be drafted until 2004. He was taken by Washington just ahead of Malkin. Fleury was taken in 2003.
Then the space-time continuum would have folded the year 2004 onto the year 2003 and the universe would have exploded (it'd be the year the Leafs win the cup incidentally), making the question irrelevant.
oops ,... what if I didn't take my drunken pens fan friend's word on all pens related things as truth
What if they had chosen Jonathan Toews instead of Jordan Staal?
Their PK wouldn't be as good, but they'd have a lot more PPG. That, and there would be even more discussion over what they're going to do to stay under the cap.

I'm happy with Staal > Toews, and I'm happy with Fleury > Eric Staal, at this point in their careers, and what their respective roles on their teams are.Toews might be a better player than Jordan Staal, but Staal is exactly what the Pens need in a shutdown centre, penalty killer, etc, and obviously Fleury's value is unquestionable to this team.