PLO is a good low-variance way to make money IMO. Look at my smooth upward line this month:lowvaraj1.jpg
is that normal? how often can you expect swings like that? i am thinking of taking this game up but to be honest i couldn't emotionally handle something like that. maybe i could get used to it if i tried slowly.
  • Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is that normal? how often can you expect swings like that?
Yes it is normal, and you can expect constant swings like that.You can run at 25BB/100 for 20k hands then lose at 50BB/100 for the next 10k hands. Or vice versa.If you play like BudBundy the swings are lower than if you play like iggy, but they are still pretty bad.
Better?iggygraphir4.jpg
Yes, much better; LOL. I like that you left a couple remnants of the original graph to contrast with the average winrate.
is that normal? how often can you expect swings like that? i am thinking of taking this game up but to be honest i couldn't emotionally handle something like that. maybe i could get used to it if i tried slowly.
It's not normal in the sense that this is a much swingier month than average for me, but it's normal in the sense that you're going to run into something like this every now and then and it's not a huge anamoly. Also, at lower stakes, the games are so soft that you can average a big enough winrate that the variance won't bother you too much. The 10.7 PTBB/100 I averaged at 0.5/1 and below led to a lot smaller downswings than the 2.2 PTBB/100 winrate I've been averaging at 2/4 and above.

I'm playing 2/4 through 5/10 PLO right now. Was playing just 6-max for a while and then just a couple days ago, I decided to switch back to playing mostly HU.What stakes are you playing mikey? That graph looks delicious.

I'm playing 2/4 through 5/10 PLO right now. Was playing just 6-max for a while and then just a couple days ago, I decided to switch back to playing mostly HU.What stakes are you playing mikey? That graph looks delicious.
5/10NL now :D2/4-5/10? Not trying to be an ass but how's the br management going? Kinda dangerous imo to go from 2/4 up to 5/10. Anyhow, gl :club:

I'm probably done for the month, so I'll post results as well, If I play anymore I'll just count it as May.

GoalsI have $200 on FTP, I will try and build this up quickly, if that fails I'll redeposit somewhere, but poker is definitely secondary at the moment.Get back in to the good routine I was in before I got sick, getting up early and doing a quick workout to start the day, and doing a semi large workout most afternoons.Sort out money problems, either robusto, or I've been contemplating busking.
ResultsLol, I just can't play on FTP, played 1K hands before getting frustrated and depositing on Stars. For poker being secondary, I put in the most amount of hands in a month ever. Still not exercising enough.Money problems are slightly better, I've got Youth Allowance, so I'm not so dependant on my poker results.April2008Summary.pngApril2008Graph.pngmade $1 live, and won a $4.40/180man so final results is about $1k. I'm a bit disappointed at the results I obviously got unlucky with my 100nl shot, that happens when your on a short roll, but theres really no explanation for the 50nl results, they shouldn't be that bad. Made made 11.5k VPPsGoals15k VPPsback to 100nl full timeGood Uni results.Will take a break every 500 hands, I was playing long sessions this month, and I was getting a bit tired towards the end, Just going to take a couple minutes break every 500 hands.
5/10NL now :D2/4-5/10? Not trying to be an ass but how's the br management going? Kinda dangerous imo to go from 2/4 up to 5/10. Anyhow, gl :club:
I'm actually getting staked ATM to play higher games so I don't have to worry about it. I'm playing the different limits mainly for game selection, but it does get a little distracting at times trying keep track of whether I'm playing a 100 BB pot or a 250 BB pot.

Just had my best day/session ever. Too bad my high orbit score was already too weak :club: +481 day, last session was +330~Now +624 on the month, finally...finally out of the negatives(better late than never lol)

Ugh, had to withdraw my roll (2.1k) due to some tax issues here. goddamnit. i left $100 there to grind it up again... holy shit this is so... goddamnit. i finally built up a roll after 2 years of play and now i need to withdraw it. now i need to do that sng grind shit again until i have a roll to play $11 and $22 mtts again. this is so devastating. 5fts in about 5 weeks is my record up until now (partypoker $6 rebuy, partypoker $33 4k guaranteed [ took that down], partypoker $6 rebuy again, some random absolute poker tournament (don't remember that) and the stars 100k). it finally looked like i was running good one time... (even though i could have about 20k now if that AA held up @ 100k) and now its all over again... i don't believe in that christian / muslim / mormone / buddhism / other random religion creatures... but i feel someone or something up there doesn't want it.../end storyMay goals:-play at least 300 sngs, play 500 sngs as a bonus.-ONLY play $5.50 non turbo 9max sngs. no way i have the discipline to start with $1.20 again and i don't want to play turbos anymore.-sustain 30% roi-get pokertracker running again.-don't go broke.

Just secured Supernova through February of 2009 today. Pretty easy to earn FPPs playing mid-stakes PLO.
How many tables do you play at a time and how many hours a week do you put in?I'm asking because I am a low limit PLO grinder, and like to see that there is a light at the end of the low stakes tunnel...
Hey, I'd quit about a month before that session. I made a return just for you.I'll play PLO again. Just as soon as I put in a decent amount of hands crushing 6max and HU NLHE.Hmm, may as well make some April Goals while I'm here.1) 15k hands.2) 4ptbb/100.I'm at 435 hands for the month so far.Please, for once, give me the motivation to actually complete one of these goals.
7.7k handsWeeeeeeeeeeee I got over halfway!!!Ran at 5.8ptbb/100./shrugNext month. Next month I play >20k hands. This time I'm like thuper thereal guys.
How many tables do you play at a time and how many hours a week do you put in?I'm asking because I am a low limit PLO grinder, and like to see that there is a light at the end of the low stakes tunnel...
Well, in April I have 37,000 VPP for 98 hrs (~24 hrs. a week) with a 4.37 MT ratio averaging 312 hands/hr.BTW, very nice graph Jordan. 30K profit with only one 5K+ downswing is awesome.
  • 1 month later...