• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For simplicity and paying out reaons would it be best to go with 100 dollar shares??? as opposed to 50 dollar shares, or is really the same thing?????????Thanks a ton guys.
Its the same thing, except it makes it easier for smaller investors to get a share and also more work involved on your end.$50 shares = 770 shares$100 shares = 385 shares$385 shares = 100 sharesIn the stock market, if a 1000$ share splits into 20 50$ shares, an owner of one old share still owns the same amount of the company when they receive 20 of the new shares. Same concept.
For simplicity and paying out reaons would it be best to go with 100 dollar shares??? as opposed to 50 dollar shares, or is really the same thing?????????Thanks a ton guys.
For your ease of accounting yes. 1/2 as many people to worry about paying. Unless of course everyone is buying 20 shares and then it makes little difference.If someone wants a piece and can't afford a whole share they could always subdivide it themselves.
basically, what he said. if you still need someone to chug the math on a specific scenario, let me know. i'd be glad to. fwiw, it's easier to just give me a scenario and tell you what to pay out rather than create an equation that would work in all situations, especially if you're not a "math guy" :club:.
If I wanted to do this method on the full buyins of the wsop.. would it be difficult??? and lets say I miss 3 or 4 events and total buyins = 32k... is it easy to replug all the math to figure out how much everyone is getting?
If I wanted to do this method on the full buyins of the wsop.. would it be difficult??? and lets say I miss 3 or 4 events and total buyins = 32k... is it easy to replug all the math to figure out how much everyone is getting?
If you raise 38,000 but only buyin for 32,000 take the left over 6,000 and add it to your winnings(for the sake of things lets make it 400,00) then you just divide 406,000 divided by the equal number of stakes to get your payout using JJGolds shares equations and walla! you have what you need to send me back hopefully :icon_biggrin:Edit-I would do the $100 shares
Seems to me like $Buyins / $Share = %Share no matter what the buyins total up to...
if you decided after the fact to play more events, youd just change how much you paid out in regards to how much was staked. so say you played 48.5k in events in the end, youd now have a larger percentage of yourself, and would only pay back according to the new total percentage they had bought of you
Playing more events should not affect the payout. The shares bought are only for the agreed upon events.

How "TJ runs into a math problem" didn't get followed with "TJ pms bizzle" is well beyond me.Seriously, hit me up on aim.

yea, you can do it fairly easily as long as people buy in set increments (you can do it if they don't, also, but it's more complicated). as long as you give someone (like me, lol) the amount everyone paid, the amount you used to buyin to events, the pre-arranged profit share ratio between you/stakers, and the amount you cashed in total, i/we could work it out from there.

TJ, I think you are looking at this backwards. Instead of figuring out exactly what events you need backing for, you should think of it as one big event and raise more than you need to play the events. You will incur a lot of expenses for travel, lodging, booze etc. I think these funds should pay for some of that at least. Furthermore, the events you do wind up playing should be at your discretion (although an intended list like you made is good). You would also have the option to mix in cash games as opportunities arise. So aim for 45k minimum.It's only right that your backers pay for these expenses, since they are a necessary part of having any success at the WSOP (It's really overhead). Also, I'm sure people would be keen to share in the cash game results. You have a proven track record here and the forum members have a lot of faith in your judgment, so I don't believe people are worried that you will pull a Vinnie Vinh or anything. In any case I think people are eager to invest and are willing to pay a premium for the privilege. P.S. I just want to make sure I don't miss out on this so please give us some advance warning when it comes time for us to invest.Opinions? thoughts?

TJ, I think you are looking at this backwards. Instead of figuring out exactly what events you need backing for, you should think of it as one big event and raise more than you need to play the events. You will incur a lot of expenses for travel, lodging, booze etc. I think these funds should pay for some of that at least. Furthermore, the events you do wind up playing should be at your discretion (although an intended list like you made is good). You would also have the option to mix in cash games as opportunities arise. So aim for 45k minimum.It's only right that your backers pay for these expenses, since they are a necessary part of having any success at the WSOP (It's really overhead). Also, I'm sure people would be keen to share in the cash game results. You have a proven track record here and the forum members have a lot of faith in your judgment, so I don't believe people are worried that you will pull a Vinnie Vinh or anything. In any case I think people are eager to invest and are willing to pay a premium for the privilege. P.S. I just want to make sure I don't miss out on this so please give us some advance warning when it comes time for us to invest.Opinions? thoughts?
For a one time backing deal 50/50 isnt fair.. so Hoosier suggest I sell 1.1 or 1.2 shares where i was gonna sell 1 ( I think thats what he was trying to say).. as for cash games.. I dont play them.. if im playing a cash game it will bel ike 1-2 NL while im drinking before we go out tht night.. I never play cash games so that wouldnt be a part of it.. as for lodging and food.. I cant imagine adding this into the backing agreement.. I am going out there for business, but also pleasure.. so I dont expect FCP to eat the costs of my everyday living expenses... unless this is standard???? thats why I was throwing this all out there so I could get a feel for whats fair for me and the backer.

not sure if anyone's mentioned it, but you also have to consider any taxes that you'll pay on winnings.edit: I actually ment to post that as a question, since I really don't have a clue.

not sure if anyone's mentioned it, but you also have to consider any taxes that you'll pay on winnings.edit: I actually ment to post that as a question, since I really don't have a clue.
im curious about this too.. whats the standard ?
For a one time backing deal 50/50 isnt fair.. so Hoosier suggest I sell 1.1 or 1.2 shares where i was gonna sell 1 ( I think thats what he was trying to say)
No he's saying that you will be selling 1% of your action for for 80-85%(vs. the normal 50% with makeup) of the actual buyins, resulting in the player keeping 15-20% of his total profits. Expecting to keep more than 20% of profits when no make up is involved and it is a small sample of tournaments its illogical to assume a backer would agree to this.
im curious about this too.. whats the standard ?
I'm pretty sure that if you document the backing arrangement and keep documentation of the money changing hands, the tax burden is passed on with the cash. ie you wouldn't have to declare it as income, but the backer would.Just FYI, I am a CPA, so I do know a bit about taxes, but that is not the area I work in, so I'm no expert.
I'm pretty sure that if you document the backing arrangement and keep documentation of the money changing hands, the tax burden is passed on with the cash. ie you wouldn't have to declare it as income, but the backer would.Just FYI, I am a CPA, so I do know a bit about taxes, but that is not the area I work in, so I'm no expert.
this is acurate im99% sureas far as me being in canada how would it work for me?as far as the trip cost id say it wld be the norm for a long term steaking deal but a 1 time im not so sure .
this is acurate im99% sureas far as me being in canada how would it work for me?as far as the trip cost id say it wld be the norm for a long term steaking deal but a 1 time im not so sure .
I'm not positive - I know almost nothing about Canadian taxes. I don't think you'd owe the US any taxes. I would guess it would work the same way as if you bought and later sold stock at a gain on NYSE.