New Challenge ( Tourney Style )

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think either is necessarily wrong if you have the right reasons and you understand what you are doing. I just stick to 3x cuz its standard tho and doesnt get as complicated. I personally would love to hear everyones opinions on raisin small prior to antes and why to do it. I know some really good players who do it but I dont really know their reasoning for it.
I also stick to standard. I don't want to give any false reads of strength/weakness. I've seen people do 3.5, 4, 2, 2.5.....but the most common is 3x. I think it's harder to get a read off the most common raise. 400/800 is when I start transitioning to 2.5x.

my aim is the same as here if you guys have any questions about hands or anything also. im gonna be getting to the hotel soon, so if im not around maybe mike or someone else that frequents this thread can give you some help on aim.

6,943 @ first breakHad KK>AQs aipf to knock out a shortyand AA>K2>QQ aipf to knock out two shorties lol...only interesting hand I had so far was a few hands after the AA-one:PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (9 handed) Poker-Stars Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver Cards)saw flop|saw showdownCO (t655)Button (t3960)SB (t11940)BB (t1555)UTG (t5065)UTG+1 (t2780)Hero (t7333)MP2 (t9535)MP3 (t5280)Preflop: Hero is MP1 with ah.gif, qh.gif. 2 folds, Hero raises to t240, 4 folds, SB calls t190, BB raises to t1655, Hero folds, SB folds.Final Pot: t720Results in white below: No showdown. BB wins t720. Is this a call getting 1.5-1?I had his range on JJ+, AQs & AK...is that too tight?well I'm happy with the way I played it, I hope I can keep up running that good :club:
Instacall. His range includes all pairs and ANY face cards that short. I'd have hit call before his chips hit the center. Take advantage of shorties to chip up, and if you lose, well, you are OK because you have correctly built a stack.
at table 169...don't pay attention to chat plz...lol55/45 means 55% you I assume? that's cool with me... :club:
ya, 55% for me. and also, about the raise size discussion, i usually start making smaller raises at the 75/150...but im from the stein school of mtt poker, so i minraise a lot at all levels also.
Instacall. His range includes all pairs and ANY face cards that short. I'd have hit call before his chips hit the center. Take advantage of shorties to chip up, and if you lose, well, you are OK because you have correctly built a stack.
im fine with either option here. the sb calling is a small concern also...and since he has a big stack, i dont really like just calling the 1600 bet because the sb may call also, and that puts you in a really poor position post flop. I am really fine with folding here tho. i think if it is a +ev spot, its pretty slight. you're not a huge favorite against anything in his range imo. He shouldnt be shoving many weaker aces in this spot, which makes it even closer to a fold for me.
my aim is the same as here if you guys have any questions about hands or anything also. im gonna be getting to the hotel soon, so if im not around maybe mike or someone else that frequents this thread can give you some help on aim.
ya hit me up if any of u guys are still in
oh noes! come back saged!!nice double up with the deuces. fwiw, i dont think we should ever be limping that hand this late in the tournament.
i do alot of weird shit late in tournaments, probably why i suckwhat do i owe you, i cashed for 57.75
ya hit me up if any of u guys are still in
yeah still in...and would love any help, thoughts on my play etc. since that might prolly help improve my game...don't have aim though...but I'mma download it right now...Edit: :club: gg sage

gg kevin, no way you can fold there obv. sick to get it in so bad tho loli guess i was a bad luck charm for both of you. shouldhave taken a longer flight i guess. you can just ship $30 also.I will do this again soon for sure. gl to you guys! hopefully next time we can get a win :club:

SIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHAK<QQ<AA...huge stacked bb obv wakes up with AA when I get a hand the first time in for ever.....gonna ship 30$ now...thanks again for the stake and the opportunity...:)fwiw, I'm Spechtsn on aim if anybody would offer to go over a couple of hands with me, I'm reviewing my HH now...so idk...well actually...nevermind...It's 6.10 am over here and I really need some rest...night y'all...

I would'nt assume a players reshove from a MP raiser necessarily would be that wide with that stack.
I would'nt assume a players reshove from a MP raiser necessarily would be that wide with that stack.
Maybe not quite that wide but certainly includes all pairs and AK-AJ, and probably KQ and possibly KJ. You wouldn't squeeze-shove w/ 44 in that spot?
Maybe not quite that wide but certainly includes all pairs and AK-AJ, and probably KQ and possibly KJ. You wouldn't squeeze-shove w/ 44 in that spot?
I'm kinda confused and tired as hell...but shouldn't that range be the reason why not to squeeze here with a weak hand...because we put him on that range? What's that...like 4th level thinking?Maybe I'm giving this guy too much credit because I never played that high before lol
I'm kinda confused and tired as hell...but shouldn't that range be the reason why not to squeeze here with a weak hand...because we put him on that range? What's that...like 4th level thinking?Maybe I'm giving this guy too much credit because I never played that high before lol
I'm drunk but sobering quickly since I can't sleep, but that's moderately irrelevant.Honestly, if he had more chips I sort of see where you are going, but there are two flaws: 1) His first and only thought (and rightfully so) should be to accumulate chips and do it as fast as possible. I'd shove with 76 suited here since I hate getting short, but that is more a stylistic sort of thing. But even if he isn't as lossey goosey as I would be there I'd give him enough credit to know he needs chips which widens his range quite a bit. BUT Even if he shares an opposite style than me... 2) I don't give him "Beyond Harrington" thinking. That being, he is either thinking along my #1 point, or he is thinking along Harrington thinking "OMG raise and call I squeeze!!" simply because it is only a $27.50 tourney. Problem is, that even if he's playing tight and he's a multi-level thinker, he simply doesn't have enough chips for you to fold...Unless he has QQ-AA or AK you are fine, and even if he has three of the possible four of those hands you are close to fine, which is why I snap.

okay, Im playing two tournys right now so not really looking into it. But are we talking about the AQhh hand?If so, 1300 more, I insta call. I dont know whats stopping us. If he wakes up with QQ, KK, AA, or AK then oh well. There is no other way around it imo. No way you can fold.If you are talking about a different hand, fk it, Im also just a drunk from chicago.... South Side!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (although not drunk right now)EDIT: His range would also include if not any pair, then at least 77 or better. He is looking for a coin flip to stack up quick. It probably includes KQ.

okay, Im playing two tournys right now so not really looking into it. But are we talking about the AQhh hand?If so, 1300 more, I insta call. I dont know whats stopping us. If he wakes up with QQ, KK, AA, or AK then oh well. There is no other way around it imo. No way you can fold.If you are talking about a different hand, fk it, Im also just a drunk from chicago.... South Side!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (although not drunk right now)
Where on the South Side? You coming to golf outing.
Well I'm not disagreeing with the call but just the range, I think in this spot it all comes down to a few factors if I would squeeze with a hand like 44. Really if the opening player is a nit I'm folding little pairs and hands like kj and AT pretty quickly if the opener is lose then I may throw them in, also whats my image am I looking like a maniac if I am I'm not shoving to light either because part of the shove would be to get some FE from hands like 77 that are beating us. If we assign a range as wide as any 2 face and any pair we can reasonably call with almost anything we open with. I think in general a lot of people overstimate the play of people reshoving with stacks in the range of 10 (M) there are a lot of players out there that will only do this with premium hands >TT AQ, AK
Where on the South Side? You coming to golf outing.
originally south side. born in blue island but lived everywhere... including north side. Supposed to do 6 months back there for work very, very soon. Living in Buffalo Grove but with another condo in the city. That all doesnt really matter I guess. As long as I am back in time, I will most definitely be there.EDIT: Living in Arizona right now.