Official 2008 Patriots Team Thread

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was think along the same lines, try and trade the 7th spot for a couple of later 1st round picks and beef up the secondary a little bit.

I was think along the same lines, try and trade the 7th spot for a couple of later 1st round picks and beef up the secondary a little bit.
I would be very happy if Dallas would trade both 1sts to the Patriots to take either of those players. This is going to be an exciting draft.
pats should take Aqib Talib.
From what I've heard about him, he's more of a Tampa-2 style corner, which wouldn't be a good fit for NE. They need somebody who can play man, like DRC and McKelvin. OLB is also a need for them, but they could trade down and still get Brooking.
I would be very happy if Dallas would trade both 1sts to the Patriots to take either of those players. This is going to be an exciting draft.
It could be, its going to be a lot better now they have reduced the time between picks. I rememeber the first time I watched the draft live it took about 7 hours before the Patriots took even their 1st round pick !!!
  • 3 weeks later...

I like their schedule. There are a couple of tough games. At Indy again. If they win that game, then well, I wont say it. They have 4 games that they could lose if they're not playing their best. They're not gonna lose all 4 of them though. Of course there is always the possibility of a random upset. Lets just hope the random upset comes in the regular season and not the Superbowl this year. Sun 9/7/2008 1:00 PM vs Chiefs Sun 9/14/2008 4:15 PM @ Jets Sun 9/21/2008 1:00 PM vs Dolphins Sun 9/28/2008 vs Bye Sun 10/5/2008 4:15 PM @ 49ers Sun 10/12/2008 8:15 PM @ Chargers Mon 10/20/2008 8:30 PM vs Broncos Sun 10/26/2008 1:00 PM vs Rams Sun 11/2/2008 8:15 PM @ Colts Sun 11/9/2008 1:00 PM vs Bills Thu 11/13/2008 8:15 PM vs Jets Sun 11/23/2008 1:00 PM @ Dolphins Sun 11/30/2008 4:15 PM vs Steelers Sun 12/7/2008 8:15 PM @ Seahawks Sun 12/14/2008 4:15 PM @ Raiders Sun 12/21/2008 1:00 PM vs Cardinals Sun 12/28/2008 1:00 PM @ Bills

The Patriots play one of the 10 easiest schedules in NFL history, a .387 magic-carpet ride that should allow them to win at least 14 games in 2008. Only five times do they face a team that finished 2007 with a .500-or-better record. The Patriots and teams in the AFC East play the NFC West and the AFC West, divisions that produced only two winning teams and six other teams with combined records of 31-65.The schedule for the Patriots is incredibly easy. They start the season with four games against losing teams and have a bye week. They should go into an Oct. 12 Sunday night game against the Chargers with a 4-0 record. Their next game against a winning team is Nov. 2 on Sunday night against the Colts.

I absolutely love what the Patriots did in the draft.Belichick is beyond genius. The only reason this man is on earth is to coach football. Just watch this all the way to the end...http://www.patriots.com/mediacenter/index....811&pcid=82Q: What has been the challenge over those six years, as you talked about getting younger and faster. What has been the challenge of doing that? It seems like you have taken more of a step in that direction this year than the past five years.BB: I really don’t think we have. I just think it kind of worked out that way. There are times when we are sitting on the board looking at players like Logan Mankins or whoever. I mean he is a good player and I’m glad we have him. It was a good pick. He’s not a defensive player and he’s not a fast player, but he’s a good football player. There’s nothing wrong with taking Logan Mankins, I’m not saying that. You need those kind of players. We have taken plenty of offensive players around here. One year it was almost a complete offensive draft with [Chad] Jackson, Dave Thomas and [Garrett] Mills two or three years ago. It wasn’t intended that way. It was kind of what was on the board and we looked at what the best value was and we did what we felt was best for the football team. I don’t think you want to skip down and skip past a lot of good football players to get one just because it’s kind of a position you would like to have. We would like to have all positions. We will take whoever the best players are, and try to manage a team as best we can. Sometimes it’s pro free agents or trades or you find other ways to fill out the roster, but it’s hard to force guys. If they can’t do what you want them to do I don’t think there is much point on forcing them in there and then be disappointed with them and a year or two later you still don’t have anything. I know it looks good on the draft grading charts. Need a guard, draft a guard. Need a corner, draft a corner. Need a tight end, draft a tight end and everybody gets an “A.” But two years later if those players really aren’t performing in those positions then what do you have?He just told the rest of the league how to draft well.

I'm pretty sure the BPA theory is well known in the NFL, there just only seem to be a handful of teams (Balt, Indy, SD, NE and Pit) that are able to draft well consistently. Congrats on the good draft, Mayo is going to be a stud.

I'm pretty sure the BPA theory is well known in the NFL, there just only seem to be a handful of teams (Balt, Indy, SD, NE and Pit) that are able to draft well consistently. Congrats on the good draft, Mayo is going to be a stud.
yeah, seriously, every year at least a handful of talking draft heads says some variation of: "you should always take the best player available regardless of need."and thats true, but it is hard to in practice when teams are dissected ad nauseum and fans are clamoring for upgrades at need positions. part of why the patriots can afford to take the best player available is that they usually make great picks. Success in this area begets success. (The year the Patriots picked up Vince Wilfork at #21 I died a little inside. The stupid Dolphins took Vernon Carey two picks earlier. As an avid Univ. of Miami football fan, I could have told you that the Patriots got a steal.....Wilfork was the most talented player on those Miami teams which is really saying something. In fairness, Carey is working out ok, but the Fins drafted need---offensive line----while the Patriots who did not have any glaring holes could more easily afford to take the best player available)
  • 1 month later...

Been a while since anyone added to this thread, anyone got any more thoughts on the upcoming season? I've got a 12-4 feeling at the moment.

• 5 weeks later...
I like the signing of Lamont Jordan. It'll be a good 1-2 punch.
eh. he is oft-injured. He is a decent insurance policy if Maroney or Faulk gets hurt......
eh. he is oft-injured. He is a decent insurance policy if Maroney or Faulk gets hurt......
Yeah he's an insurance policy but he'll get his share of carries either way. This is nice...
Do you like the sound of that -- ex-Raider, and present Patriot? "I love it. I think the hardest thing for me so far has been signing autographs. I made a couple mistakes, I put [number]34 down there because I'm so used to signing 34. But I love the fact that right now I have on a Patriot uniform. When you put on that uniform, I think the name on the uniform speaks for itself. The players that wear the uniform are very privileged. I'm very privileged and honored to wear this uniform."
Is Faulk still playing? I thought he was gone at the end of last year.
Is Faulk still playing? I thought he was gone at the end of last year.
Yeah he's still there. Its looking like they might carry 4 runningbacks. Maroney, Jordan, Faulk and Sammy Morris. If they do that they're gonna be able to keep them all fresh and just pound teams with the running game, and that will open up the passing game even more when the choose to throw the ball. They probably won't score as much as last year, but they'll still be every bit as much of a machine. They'll hold the ball longer...keep their defense off the field more...and win a lot of games.
  • 1 month later...