I'm Quitting My Job Monday

So after almost four years I am quitting my job at Enterprise on Monday. I'm a little nervous since this has been my only "real" job and I have no other job lined up. I do have a couple interviews lined up already but I'm not sure what direction I want my life to go in right now. I did get quite a good experience while working at Enterprise, and the interviews I have lined up I probably wouldn't have been able to get without that experience. I'm going to stop short at suggesting it to people that are looking for a job that just graduate from school, though...the pressure and demands just aren't worth it and the "pyramid" scheme will weigh on even the strongest of people after awhile, especially as you start to advance with the company. And, at that point, at least for me, the incentive to advance goes away really fast regardless of how much money you can make, and when getting promoted has a huge luck factor called "timing" involved, it takes it away even further. No real reason I'm posting this here except you are all my e-friends, and since on scale of 1-10 on the "Am I doing the right thing?" scale, I'm at about a 12 right now since I have no guarantee of employment. Though deep down I know this is the right choice.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So after almost four years I am quitting my job at Enterprise on Monday. I'm a little nervous since this has been my only "real" job and I have no other job lined up. I do have a couple interviews lined up already but I'm not sure what direction I want my life to go in right now. I did get quite a good experience while working at Enterprise, and the interviews I have lined up I probably wouldn't have been able to get without that experience. I'm going to stop short at suggesting it to people that are looking for a job that just graduate from school, though...the pressure and demands just aren't worth it and the "pyramid" scheme will weigh on even the strongest of people after awhile, especially as you start to advance with the company. And, at that point, at least for me, the incentive to advance goes away really fast regardless of how much money you can make, and when getting promoted has a huge luck factor called "timing" involved, it takes it away even further. No real reason I'm posting this here except you are all my e-friends, and since on scale of 1-10 on the "Am I doing the right thing?" scale, I'm at about a 12 right now since I have no guarantee of employment. Though deep down I know this is the right choice.
Well good luck on whatever you wind up doing, I know that things will only get better for you. Yeah, the workplace is tough until you find something that you truly love doing, so I wish you nothing but the best.

Good luck on the new job search. Until then you can sleep on Kurt's couch. You better concentrate on winning the tourney next Saturday you'll need the money.

I may regret this but what is your sig refering to?
Its DCJ0001 explaining that Barry Greenstien doesn't actually sit on top of his book that he holds on to until he gets knocked out.
Its DCJ0001 explaining that Barry Greenstien doesn't actually sit on top of his book that he holds on to until he gets knocked out.
Weeeeee, I soooooooo smart!!
Get into Pharmaceutical sales!It may take a bit to get your foot in the door, but its a sweet gig.
In general working for Pharmaceutical companies is like working for the devil. I know a lot of people get annoyed by the sales reps when they just reguritate what they've been fed about their product but when you probe them with actual questions they generally can't answer much other than straight from their sales package.
could you elaborate on that a little? I'm thinking of a similar career and just gave me 2nd thoughts about the whole thing
Enterprise does more hiring of entry level college graduates than any other company in the country. So imagaine a big pyramid with all those people on the bottom, and Andy Taylor (the owner) on the top. You are sold when you come to the company that you are not in this to be a Trainee, but to get to Branch Manager (my level) and above. If you perform as a Trainee and don't mind working 50 hours a week, it is not that hard to get to the Assistant Manger level, but well over half of people won't even make it that far. There are only so many new offices that open (about 20 new ones opened in Chicago last year), which means for spots to open, people have to leave the company. If people are not leaving the company, then people stay on as Trainees longer than the ~1 year they were expecting. This is bad for Enterprise, since they can't keep hiring new, cheap labor if new offices aren't opening at astronomical levels or unless people quit. So one of two things happen, the trainees get frustrated by the low pay and quit, or the Assistant Managers quit. If neither of these two things happen, Enteprise has the aforementioned problem, which they "solve" by squeezing Assistant managers out...ones that have been in the company for 2-3 years, aren't putting up great numbers, and aren't getting promoted because of either their numbers, or the SAME thing happening with the next level the pyramid, the Branch Manager. Meaning spots aren't opening up.Still with me?Good, almost done.This rarely happens because the pay is low and the hours are long. So there's usally not a logjam of people ready to be assistants (though it does happen). It happens a lot more frequently when the pay starts going up. Branch Managers are content making 50-60K a year despite the hours. But again, this is bad for Enterprise. Only not as many quit since the pay is much better. Branch managers that aren't performing are put on ultimatums to perform or else. I DESPISE this kind of pressure, since it is only applied when the region feels it necessary. So why would I want to get promoted? I would be making 80-100K as a district manager, but the pressure will only increase as my senority does, only at that level it will be even MORE extreme. Not a fun situation to look forward to, and not worth the pay raise, in my opinion. There are a myriad of other reasons I am doing this, but hopefully that answers your one question.
Get into Pharmaceutical sales!It may take a bit to get your foot in the door, but its a sweet gig.
Yea, but that's how I see it, it's a gig, not a career. What's my outlook 10 years down the road? Probably a similar path to Enterprise with easier hours and much more pay. Which may honestly be worth it...which is why one of my interviews is at a Pharm company :club:. There are no guarantees in life, but something always strikes me as odd about Pharm sales.
In general working for Pharmaceutical companies is like working for the devil. I know a lot of people get annoyed by the sales reps when they just reguritate what they've been fed about their product but when you probe them with actual questions they generally can't answer much other than straight from their sales package.
You said "probe". he he he he he hebandb.jpg

I've been with the same company for 7 years now and I wish you the best of luck - I don't how how I would handle having to find a new job after working in one place for my whole career thus far.

Those are the idiot "sample droppers" I have a science background and can answer most general questions from my physicians