Official New York Rangers Thread

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SEAN AVERY!!!!We get a five on three. Sean instead of watching the play stands in front of the net, faces Brodeur, and does nothing but wave his hands and stick in front of his face, yelling the entire time. These two, if you don't know, have a history of really getting to each other (mostly Avery on Brodeur). Meanwhile a shot comes in, Avery grabs the rebound and slams it past the goalie. Rangers lead 2-1. Amazing and somewhat hilarious.
i know he's creating a screen but couldnt he be called for unsportsmanlike there?these 2 teams are so close that it really is the small bounces that are seperating the teams at this moment. it kinda reminds me of last year's playoffs thus far - marty has been the one kept in it by his team not the other way round which is the usual.

full version Avery's antics and then his goal:

Ron MacClean take on things :
I agree that a 10 min misconduct would have been appropriate there.
by the rules that is definitely a 10 minute misconduct in there. to be honest i am kinda disappointed that whitey didnt come in and pop him in the chops anyways.
Problem is, Avery would turtle, embellish, or whine, which could lead to another penalty there. I hate to say it, but there are two ways to deal with Avery. One is ignoring him, and the other is David Clarkson, who I don't want anywhere near the ice when Gomez is out there, especially on the PK. Retaliating to Avery's antics is playing right into his hands.
Ron MacClean take on things :
I agree that a 10 min misconduct would have been appropriate there.
Terrible analysis. It was a 5-on-3. He wasn't trying to get Brodeur to take a penalty. He was screening him. He was putting his hands in front of his face so he couldn't see. It's a great play. It's no different than any other type of screening when you try to get in front of the goaltender so he can't see a shot. It's just way more flagrant.

I saw the play and I find it amazing...Its a very original move that he has come up with, and if its not called a penalty then its brilliant...The rule that Maclean cited is ridicolous..That means that you give a 10 minute penalty everytime a player says something to taunt or entice a player...Just last night in the same game Rupp was heard on camera calling a rangers a BITCH.."you are a bitch" he said...I am sure a lot of worse things are said constantly on the ice..He didnt touch Brodeur, he screened him...Sean Avery is the MVP of this series ..IMO

Waving your stick in a threatening manner at a goalie's head is tauting. A few times he fakes a slash to Brodeur's head.And LLY do you realize your on the same side a serge on this issue. I never would never have expected you to lose reason because you have Rangers blinders on, when your team resorts to childish tactics that the Leafs would just love to use you have to realize you've gone too far.

Waving your stick in a threatening manner at a goalie's head is tauting. A few times he fakes a slash to Brodeur's head.And LLY do you realize your on the same side a serge on this issue. I never would never have expected you to lose reason because you have Rangers blinders on, when your team resorts to childish tactics that the Leafs would just love to use you have to realize you've gone too far.
you know whats childish..You bashing me and the Leafs in EVERY post you make...Waving his stick in a threatening manner??WTF are you watching..He didnt even touch him..as a matter fact Brodeur got a couple of good punches in, one to his face...Is yapping at a player taunting??Sean Avery is a modern Ken Linseman and Esa Tikkanen..Those guys were the ultimate pest.Unless the NHL makes up a new rule, or interprets the existing rule to exclude what Avery did, all the best to Sean..

If someone was swinging their stick in front of my face like that I would definitely consider it threatening. If I wasn't wearing a full face mask I would have no choice but to protect myself from his actions. It's definitely taunting and threatening.

If someone was swinging their stick in front of my face like that I would definitely consider it threatening. If I wasn't wearing a full face mask I would have no choice but to protect myself from his actions. It's definitely taunting and threatening.
well we will see what the NHL decides...for the record no penalty was called or considered.
well we will see what the NHL decides...for the record no penalty was called or considered.
the ref went over to him and gave him a warning and told him to stop.

this is what Eklund wrote today:It is disrespectful and the ultimate in poor sportmanship...The referee told Brent Sutter that the next time will be a penalty.HOW??????The NHL said it would call a penalty and put teams on alert..FOR WHAT???Now I have been tough on Avery...but not this time..I for one am for it and OK with it because it is within the rules. Change to rules, maybe we should, but don't get on Avery. I give points for thinking outside the box and being creative.During the play you can see Drury come over and he said, "Stick Down!" to his teammate

swinging his stick like he did and acting like a clown should have gotten him a penalty.If he wasn't swinging his stick it would be a little different story. I remember a game from this season. I think it was with Ottawa, where a player put his had right up into the Goalie's face to screen him. if you don't touch him I guess there are no grounds for a penalty but what Avery was doing should not be tolerated.

"A misconduct penalty shall be imposed on any player who persists in any course of conduct (including threatening or abusive language or gestures or similar actions) designed to incite an opponent into incurring a penalty."The NHL should just give Avery a 10 minute misconduct and cite this rule when asked. I don't necessarily agree that he was trying to incite a penalty but rather just trying to block Brodeur's view, but the rule mentions "design" not "intent". Avery's actions made a mockery of the game and are not in the spirit of the game. If he wants to screen Brodeur then do it like everyone else does.Abusive language and taunting is also punishable according to the rules but the referees turn a blind eye unless it gets out of hand.Avery is a very good hockey player. It's unfortunate that he's such an idiot.

"A misconduct penalty shall be imposed on any player who persists in any course of conduct (including threatening or abusive language or gestures or similar actions) designed to incite an opponent into incurring a penalty."The NHL should just give Avery a 10 minute misconduct and cite this rule when asked. I don't necessarily agree that he was trying to incite a penalty but rather just trying to block Brodeur's view, but the rule mentions "design" not "intent". Avery's actions made a mockery of the game and are not in the spirit of the game. If he wants to screen Brodeur then do it like everyone else does.Abusive language and taunting is also punishable according to the rules but the referees turn a blind eye unless it gets out of hand.Avery is a very good hockey player. It's unfortunate that he's such an idiot.
I agree with you Dale that the rule is there...However dont you agree, and I am sure Chris would agree too, that in every game there is abusive language,taunting a players mom, or normal trash talking...We have had reports of racists comments and even reports of cancer comments, even though there was no proof..Its a fine line and can be interpreted any way you want.
I agree with you Dale that the rule is there...However dont you agree, and I am sure Chris would agree too, that in every game there is abusive language,taunting a players mom, or normal trash talking...We have had reports of racists comments and even reports of cancer comments, even though there was no proof..Its a fine line and can be interpreted any way you want.
I've always said one thing when it comes to this type of behaviour, and whether it is unsportsmanlike or not.... If you do something, and you're team-mates tell you to stop being such an *******, then it's unsportsmanlike..
I've always said one thing when it comes to this type of behaviour, and whether it is unsportsmanlike or not.... If you do something, and you're team-mates tell you to stop being such an *******, then it's unsportsmanlike..
yeah thats the interesting point..his teammate I think it was Drury in the clip tells him to put his stick down...I think Avery has the potential to be one of the best players in his role ever to play the game, however he does take it too far sometime and fairly often crosses the line...
By the way racial taunt have been given match penalties in the past. Rules or not what Avery did was not good for the game.When he was screening him like an idiot.He had 2 things in mind1) screen the goalie2) piss Brodeur off to miss the puck or take a penaltyI think it is quite clear that this doesn't belong in the game and should be a 10 min Misconduct.Does anyone know what Drury actually said to Avery?
By the way racial taunt have been given match penalties in the past. Rules or not what Avery did was not good for the game.When he was screening him like an idiot.He had 2 things in mind1) screen the goalie2) piss Brodeur off to miss the puck or take a penaltyI think it is quite clear that this doesn't belong in the game and should be a 10 min Misconduct.Does anyone know what Drury actually said to Avery?
I think something to the effect of keep your stick down..but who knows...Also interesting to note that these two guys have a history of this...Just youtube Avery Brodeur

the NHL had ammended their rules for Avery: http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid=36042...mp;service=page"An unsportsmanlike conduct minor penalty will be interpreted and applied, effective immediately, to a situation when an offensive player positions himself facing the opposition goaltender and engages in actions such as waving his arms or stick in front of the goaltender's face, for the purpose of improperly interfering with and/or distracting the goaltender as opposed to positioning himself to try to make a play," Colin Campbell, the NHL director of hockey operations said in a statement."I've played for 15 years in this league. I've been watching games for 33 years. I had never seen that in my life," Brodeur said. "I don't think that kind of behavior should be done in front of the net, but there is no rule for it." "I've never seen that before," Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Ryan Whitney said. "It seemed odd to me. He's not in a position to get a rebound if there is one because his stick is up in the air." "He's an idiot," Penguins forward Gary Roberts said. "Here we are trying to sell the game, and stuff like that is going on," Devils forward John Madden said. "I just find it childish and I don't agree with any of it. "That's just Sean Avery being Sean Avery," Ottawa Senators forward Chris Neil said. "It's kind of like an instigator. He may not be doing anything, but he is initiating."

the NHL had ammended their rules for Avery: http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid=36042...mp;service=page"An unsportsmanlike conduct minor penalty will be interpreted and applied, effective immediately, to a situation when an offensive player positions himself facing the opposition goaltender and engages in actions such as waving his arms or stick in front of the goaltender's face, for the purpose of improperly interfering with and/or distracting the goaltender as opposed to positioning himself to try to make a play," Colin Campbell, the NHL director of hockey operations said in a statement."I've played for 15 years in this league. I've been watching games for 33 years. I had never seen that in my life," Brodeur said. "I don't think that kind of behavior should be done in front of the net, but there is no rule for it." "I've never seen that before," Pittsburgh Penguins defenseman Ryan Whitney said. "It seemed odd to me. He's not in a position to get a rebound if there is one because his stick is up in the air.""He's an idiot," Penguins forward Gary Roberts said. "Here we are trying to sell the game, and stuff like that is going on," Devils forward John Madden said. "I just find it childish and I don't agree with any of it. "That's just Sean Avery being Sean Avery," Ottawa Senators forward Chris Neil said. "It's kind of like an instigator. He may not be doing anything, but he is initiating."
LOL! So succinct.